Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Nitewalkr

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Hello all;

Since I cant post my personal projects on this website I've decided to post my practice here. That how people will know that I am not just here to fool around, and its for fun also.

So This sketchbook will contain my practice only and the concepts have already been used many times.

Practice 1: Doodleness.

Contents: Alice and Namasis.

Stage: Rough Sketching.

Modification..Giving them toonish look and create front and side views of both. Not sure if its allowed to post the characters that are already used many in professional projects, but this is just practice and not for professional use.

alicecloseup.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

namasis.jpg

Any crits and suggestions would be greatful.
Thanks, with best regards
Nitewalkr

Replies

• uneditablepoly
    Nice forms. It looks like you might have the same unconscious fear of hard values that I do. Try to push the values and the contrast more. It might feel dangerous at first but I find being brave with darks brings about a much more impressive sketch, or whatever you are working on.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    values?....if you are talking about digital sketch, this one isnt...it is simply drawn on the paper, for that I use 0.5mm for pretty much everything. I will have to start refining them. That will be done in the sketchbook pro. =\

what values and contrast you are talking about?

Re-elaborate uneditablepoly, I might have mis-understood you.

Keep in mind that this was the rough sketch (aka rough concept art) which I have yet to refine.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more note:

I'll be posting rough sketches and progress check(s) but not very frequently. Since I lack resources and have very little time to work on it..:(
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    values refers to the scale of light to dark in your image. your images are mostly gray so they dont have alot of value variation which is what uneditable is trying to encourage.

Conceptart.org refers to it as
    VALUE
    The relative lightness or darkness of a hue. Black is low value. White is a high value.

heres a thread with people doing good value studys to improve thier skills.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143455

even a rough sketch can have good value, its just a matter of observing your subject and learning how light and shadow works.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understood him the first time. Reason I questioned is because I dont know how to play with contrast if I am just scanning and loading the original rough sketch from the paper. (I do not have Photoshop yet)

The updated images are yet to be posted, so I will definately try this out. Thanks.

I hope this link helps me understand what you guys encourage.

I never played around with the scanned image so you can tell I am almost a newbie in terms of digital arts.
    Thanks for help :)
  • AlexanderL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderL polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty sure they just mean that you should draw your pencil drawings with greater contrast, and that is very good advice. They weren't talking about doing anything with the images after they were scanned.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I dont have any good darker pencil than .5mm mechanical which I use for rough drawing the concept..=\
    When I scan it, I use sketchbook pro to highlight stuff and all...For example. This.editalice2.jpg

I am still working on its shades, and render in black and white. So far This is what I have...I spent 1 hour on this today, after week. Busy life sucks!! >.<
  • vatsel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm

more loomis
    more drawing from life with focus on describing what you see

and just more drawing in general

Im gonna do the math for you:

You'll need 3000 hours of drawing until you're decent/ hireable for an entry job in art (my awesome estimate)
    3000 / 1 hour per week = 3000 weeks = 57.8 years

better step up the pace
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loomis is ok but i find it hard to copy or do studies with. bridgeman is good since his books are still out in stores, but his drawing are kinda scratchy looking
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vatsel wrote: »
    hmm

more loomis

You'll need 3000 hours of drawing until you're decent/ hireable for an entry job in art (my awesome estimate)

better step up the pace

I am not doing it for an entry level job...Thats what my profession is for :D

But I am doing it for fun and as a hobby. I did spend most of my time at work drawing and the rest of my time studying (odd jobs) but this one here the last one was on the wacom tablet and I suck at it as you may have observed.

its actually 2 hours per day and on my off days 4-8 hours just on this very subject 2 hours of video games..rest of hours on learning 3d modeling.

This is what I love doing, I am not looking for any entry level position at this point nor am I close to one.

But if I get one, It'll be a plus. :)

Edit: Oh its not life drawing man....its concept drawing. I'd be damned if I was learning life drawing lol...imagine 5 mugs of tea and 20-25 packs of smoke on the side while working your ass off for one drawing for starters. :(

Edit2: How the hell did you know that I was using loomis?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    girldrawingpractice8.jpg

Still practicing but I seriously need help on this one....There is no one is online to crit this....

I know I always have problem with hands and chest part, but I cant figure out
  • killingpeople
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya that part I still have to do...Thanks :) I'll get on that right away (and see if I can do it in sketchbook pro)
    Thanks for taking your time and explaining what to do next. (now if someone can crit at the proportions on the recenet one before I make more modifications)

You almost created it a tombraider...which it is not though.

Thanks again! :)
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vatsel wrote: »
    hmm

more loomis

better step up the pace

But...
    3000 / 168 hour per week = 17 weeks = 119 days or around 4 months :O
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @killing people:

Also in the pointer 7 and 8, I cant use the reference because this was my prospective, I couldnt find any related reference to it unless I play the resident evil and show her in action mode.

And shez standing in the intial ref image I used to get her contents.

I'll try to follow this up except for 7 and 8..=\

This was a huge help though. Thanks :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God! Even for the rough concept art I cant get them girl figure :(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alice1i.jpg

Still working on it and practicing girl figure.

I thought I'd post for some good crits on this....
  • marlfox8
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Good old times Marl :D

Thanks, but I need crit on the piece I've doodled and posted here.

EDIT: Its not that I dont see that I have made a progress (comparing from my previous work) but I still need crits and suggestions in order to keep getting good at it.

Right now I'd say its just...OK but not prefered.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its kinda hard to see but i think the nose is outta whack. it looks just like 2 little holes
  • GoodAsNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions are ok but lot of quessing in anatomy and gesture is stiff.

Drawing figure from mind isnt much difference to 3d modeling or sculpting except it's a lot harder because you can't observe your creation from different directions.

I highly recommend to draw from a reference and try to understand what makes the illusion of space in it.

what would also help in getting the stiffness out is doing a lot of something like 30-60sec figure sketches in different positions everyday for like 30mins. that would make a lot of studies.

soz for the harsh crit.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^It wasnt a harsh crit man...I am stuck and your crit actually helped me a lot. yes its kinda hard to observe your mistakes when you are drawing without a ref. Its one of my mistakes that I am trying to fix..

Anyways. Thanks again. Will post some moar doodles.
  • DrunkShaman
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    good work.. keep it up.. and study .. fill that brain up!
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice. i like the last one the most
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is, now that I've understood male and female figure. I draw them and delete them. Unlike other people who post their (even the roughest) work here. I just cant bring myself up to do that because a sensible thing to do is to judge your art by yourself, than get a friend to criticize it before actually posting for the professionals' criticism.

So I draw a figure on piece of paper and discard that, and draw it again...that is whenever I have time...means 2-5 hours a day would be a good time scale per day.

Which means there is a good chance to have atleast one picture out per week for PC crits, if you know what I mean. :3

I'll post soon.

NOTE: This is just for my own understanding. As I am learning other stuff while do my bachelors degree program.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bit over posed but meh...

Here, comments and criticisms are required and appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7401935/MyDoodlez3.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7401935/MehDoodlez.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7401935/MyDoodle2.jpg

ok...now I seriously need help (I mean I rarely ask but) as you may have experienced while bolding your sketch for colouring, after the rough line work.

For Refine line work what % of flow do you guys use with the hard brush? Or do you spend time making strokes in your refine sketching until you are satisfied with it? =\
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm I know this is out of context but, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7401935/MyDoodlez3.jpg is probably the best thing on your thread. I like it how the sketchy lines in the background add up to the volume of the character - compared to your other images, no offence.

I know how alot of people tend to start with lineart as their primary sketching/drawing style, and that's really good. But combining that with shading, it gets even more powerful. Keep improving and push yourself further and do studies and ever more studies. Keep fighting! :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Dont work on a white background. Put a light coloured gradient there. Not bright colours keep it subtle.

Dont' do linework in pure black use a nearly black version of your backdrop colour.

and keep it lose until you get the form right. Then tighten up the lines.

A technique i've been developing is that I draw fat lines with a big fat square brush and erase it away with the same brush settings till i get the line right. Do this by quickly switching between brush and eraser (Hotkeys B and E) If you erase too much redraw the line and erase again. I'm trying to get out of a nasty undo habit.

Brush and eraser setting

Hard edged square or circle brush
    Size Jitter: Pen pressure
    Min diameter: 70
    Opacity and Flow: Pen pressure
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so lets try this again...I thought I should bump my sketchbook and start posting here as well, for better feedback.

tiGj5.jpg

PKSx5.jpg

XnCyp.jpg

gtOvO.jpg

Once again, CNC is always welcome. :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This on is work in progress.

I am trying different methods of approaching to painting but I have to go through the line work for all of them since I am unable to assume the parts, and I bet there are many things wrong with her at the moment.

CnC is welcome.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Getting better - I would strongly advise you to go to some life drawing classes and study anatomy, do some studies like skeletal and musculature sketches. Work on the fundamentals and it will really breathe life into your work, I've seen the benefit that stuff can have on an artist's work first hand.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh* I think its time for me to bump this thread up and start posting again. I've waited and practiced off the grid for far too long.

Anyways, these are the two characters I've been working on currently, one is the old one as the one I posted in the previous post in this thread and the other one is some new character because I got tired of working on the it.

Anyways, these two are the ones I've been working on currently:

Zz1UEL9.jpg

fsIy6mm.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DrunkShaman