Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    mont29 wrote: »
    Hey girls & guys,

Let’s start a new thread about assets and filebrowser work! So, details are in this blog post, but in a few words you can find here experimental builds of work done so far in the filebrowser, as preliminary step for assets project. As usual, any testing and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Bastien
    I haven't tested the build yet, but it sounds like a pretty good start. However if I could make a request for a filebrowser feature it would be to make an actual default preset operator (just named default or whatever) that you could overwrite the settings of. If you were to open a new instance of Blender it would just read the settings from this (user modified) operator preset upon import or export. There is already an option to reset the settings to the factory defaults so I can't really see any downsides to this suggestion.
    Adding this functionality would save a few clicks every time you export or import something (for the first time since opening Blender). However the biggest advantage to this (for me) would be that there no longer is any chance to forget to select 'Selection Only' and have Blender lock up for several minutes or just outright crash. So if you don't like the first suggestion could you please make 'Selection Only' checked by default. I've wanted this for some time and I've seen others here who have wanted this to be a default setting as well.

Some similar functionality would also be good for applying a default (listed and user-modifiable) material as well to new models, but that's probably a discussion for another time.

Also, on an unrelated note, are you finished with the vertex normal baking now?
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eeeh, that export thing is quite orthogonal issue. Each impotr/export operator has to handle this itself, does not have anything to see with filebrowser actually. Also, if you export, and then re-export in the same session, settings should be kept afaik?

(Side note: thinking of FBX addon, adding presets here would for sure be useful, adding that on my TODO).

As for normals, I’m not working on baking, but on split normals & custom normals. Custom ones are still in work (mostly done though), have to change a bit modifiers to use newly added transferdata feature to also copy custom normals (from one mesh to another). After that, should be ready for final review round. So it could be ready for 2.74, more likely for 2.75.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Whenever I make it to San Diego, I will find you and I will hug you.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would love you forever if you removed the quote marks from the thread title. :)

Huh? It just says "Blender Mega Thread"?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nevermind, I see Dustin got to it!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like our bottleneck is in calls to OpenColorIO, so it does have to do with color management. I will have to build that from source to further track down the problem.

GEr542e.png
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Anyone come across a good tutorial for learning the sculpting workflow? Also alittle confused by the tablet navigation, do I just need to emulate 3 button mouse?
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Anyone come across a good tutorial for learning the sculpting workflow? Also alittle confused by the tablet navigation, do I just need to emulate 3 button mouse?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noi14WV-tY0[/ame]

Part 1/4 from Massimiliano Puliero

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2BNKtXwVA[/ame]

I didn't watched all the video, but it's in real time.

and this:

https://gumroad.com/l/VHMCw

For the Tablet, I use it, and I don't need the 3 mouse button emulation, if you are using the default Blender navigation key configuration, assign to one of your Pen buttons the MMB

MVYVzLp.png

This works with Default and Maya key configurations.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noi14WV-tY0

Part 1/4 from Massimiliano Puliero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2BNKtXwVA

I didn't watched all the video, but it's in real time.

and this:

https://gumroad.com/l/VHMCw

For the Tablet, I use it, and I don't need the 3 mouse button emulation, if you are using the default Blender navigation key configuration, assign to one of your Pen buttons the MMB

MVYVzLp.png

This works with Default and Maya key configurations.

Yup - this is all I need to do. Works a treat.
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Quick note to say that I made an updated build of custom normals, as usual here: http://download.blender.org/ftp/mont29/

This should (hopefully) be the final 'initial' version going to master (for 2.74 with a bit of luck, otherwise for 2.75). It uses DataTransfer code to copy normals from one object to another, and a single modifier to set normals (either on a spheroid base, or pointing towards an object).

Not edit in EditMode for now (there is an issue re selection a loop [face corner] - design decision mostly), but one can set custom normals from py script (FBX importer featured in the builds does that to read normals).

As usual, the more testing, the better! :)
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Hi just wanted to share/ plug that XRG81 has new blender painting tutorials.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Bastien, i'm currently test it on the Guilty Gear Xrd models and it works quite well :) :
    IDxsiqGIDxsiqG.png
    I don't understand the "Track object" though.
    And if we use a vertex groups, it seems that the left over vertex don't take into account the base value of auto smooth.
    Hi just wanted to share/ plug that XRG81 has new blender painting tutorials.
    Awesome, a "must see" for sure ! Thanks for sharing !
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yadoob Thanks for checking! :)
    Track Object means normals will point toward this object.
    The other stuff re vgroups I’ll have to check. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tested the custom normals for a bit as well, and they seem to work well for the purpose I tried (foliage). Really looking forward to seeing the finished product, good work Bastien!
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    hi guys, yesterday I made this short tutorial to explain how to align 2 objects in blender using snap tools and the amazing cursour.

hopw you like!

ENG SUBS!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9BTPRxXlf0[/ame]
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    I tried the custom normals build and have the same experience as MightyPea, everything works as it should. It's also simpler to use than the previous build, that one had me a bit confused with the various normals options found in mesh properties.

For using outside of Blender, are custom normals available automatically to an exporter or does the exporter need to be updated?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't tried the new build yet but I know that in the old build the normals were exported with FBX if you set smoothing to "off."
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't tried the new build yet but I know that in the old build the normals were exported with FBX if you set smoothing to "off."

and also be sure to check the -Tangent Space- option.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone know what's happening with SSAO in the viewport? I got an old build with it and it's surprisingly useful for some stuff but can't find any more info.

edit: oh never mind, I just worked out it's in the gooseberry branch
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be of interest for those of you looking to get into Blender, or those wanting to use Blender on a Surface Pro:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viR0a3HMtLg[/ame]
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    MightyPea wrote: »
    This might be of interest for those of you looking to get into Blender, or those wanting to use Blender on a Surface Pro:

Looks good.
    I must admit i have deinstalled blender yesterday.

I dont understand the "logic" from blender. Its like you have a gas pedal but when you give full gas its the command for open the trunk. Maya tools are not the best or lacking many features but the "logic" is good. When im in the tab for Polygon Modelling nearly all options i see can be used.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    MightyPea wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viR0a3HMtLg

Awesome... I was just wondering the other day if it would be possible to get anything done in blender on a 10" tablet.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Its so hard.
    Every time i found something inside Blender and be happy the software punch me in the face. :poly127:
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Volantk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volantk polycounter lvl 11
    Yamanote wrote: »
    I still haven't got any luck with finding out about... Searching but so far have not found any solution regarding this:

[...]

Does anyone know?

It's a bit tricky in some cases, but everything can be hotkeyed.

Here's how to do it for this addon:

First, make sure "Python Tooltips" are enabled. Found here.

Then, find the tool you want to assign a hotkey to and hold the mouse cursor over it. With python tooltips enabled, you'll see the name of the python command used to call the tool. Should look like this. This is what we need to make the hotkey.

Now go to User Preferences -> Input and find the category where you want the hotkey to be usable. In this case, 3D View, then either 3D View (Global) (hotkey can be called in all modes in the 3D view), Object Mode or Sculpt Mode.

Expand the category and scroll down to the bottom. Click "Add New". Then type in the python command from earlier, except the "bpy.ops" part and the parentheses at the end. (Important. Won't work otherwise.)

Next, pick a key to use, and you're done!

Should look something like this.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Yamanote, I haven't experienced this bug, but then again I haven't changed my Solid OpenGL lights. It could be a bug and would need to be reported.

Perhaps this addon can help you around your problem. It gives you a panel in 3d view with different presets for Solid OpenGL mode.
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?346612-The-most-efficient-OpenGL-Lights-panel-%28with-presets-system%29
    gll2.gif
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    @MmAaXx

Blender is horrible for me. First a Tool palette at the left side, then a Mesh Menü at the bottom and at the right side the deformer menü. Everything can be used to changes the Polygons in a simple Mesh. I dont know what reason exist to spread the menüs all over the Interface.

The 3d cursor is nice but at the stage of simple Polygon modelling not needed, the same with object and edit mode. For complex scene layouts etc. .. okay but for simple tasks overkill and you cant switch it off.

The feedback is not so good. Report Error: Modifier is disabled. Skip apply. And what is wrong? The same with the lack of interactive viewport feedback.

I came from Maya and yes it has is flaws but i liked the "logic" much more than the blender way. Whats the difference between select two faces or a edge for smoothing? Smoothing is a matter of normals so in Maya i can smooth in the two ways in blender only with selected faces.

For me its simply not friendly.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    well, blender is only really fast if you know the hotkeys, i agree that some stuff is not that well arranged, but once you get used to the hotkeys it certainly is faster and easier to model with than maya

honestly, i really never used the mesh menu on the bottom because you can access everything with simple shortcuts
    w - specials menu
    strg + e -menu for edge operations
    strg + f -menu for face operations
    strg + v -menu for vertex operations

and tab to switch between object & edit mode
    ( strg + tab to switch between face, edge & vertex selection)
    its like 15 shortcuts in total for efficient modelling

if starting out with blender i would recommend to enable dynamic spacebar menu under the addons tab
    with that, after pressing space, you will get a menu where you can find almost everything

and i really dont see any problem with object and edit mode.
    in object mode you select the object you want to edit and enter editmode
    i would say its rather more cenvient than maya where you leave your current edit when you accidentally click on another mesh, maybe thats just preference
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will agree that the 3d cursor is pretty useless if you only know how to set it with LMB. It comes in super handy when you need to rotate or scale from a particular spot, though. Let's say that I want to put my rotation pivot at a particular vertex. In Maya you would press E to get the rotation tool, then hold D and V to move the pivot snapping to vertices, then click the manipulator and drag it to a vertex. In Blender to do the same thing, you would go into Edit Mode with Tab, select a vertex, press Shift+S to bring up the snapping menu, select "Cursor to selected", go to the pivot point menu on the bottom bar, change it from median point to 3D Cursor, select the stuff you wanted to rotate, and rotate it.

At a first glance it might seem a little more complicated to do in Blender, but the Blender way gives you a little bit more flexibility compared to the Maya way, at least as far as my admittedly limited Maya knowledge goes. For example, in Blender you can use the 3D cursor to set the pivot to be the middle of any set of vertices, or exactly in the middle of an edge, just by selecting lots of vertices and snapping the cursor to them. In Maya this sort of circle would never exist because edges without faces aren't allowed, but here it is in Blender and I can snap the cursor to the middle of the circle and rotate around it quite easily.

DuE6Tms.png

This means you can make fun shapes like this:

ub6KIox.png

I don't even know if it's possible to snap the pivot to the middle of a circle without using a script in Maya, so you lose some flexibility that you would have in Blender (unless there's some feature I'm missing in Maya, which there probably is because I don't use it much.) You can eyeball the pivot point in Maya but you'll lose some precision. The 3D cursor is basically Modo's workplane and action center in one handy package, and it's actually quite simple once you figure out how to use it.

I honestly don't use the tool palette much except for marking hard and soft edges and for marking UV seams. When you know the names and hotkeys for everything and you have the spacebar menu there's honestly not much point to it.

If you're learning Blender, instead of going onto a forum and ranting about how Blender sucks because you can't figure out how to use it and all the buttons are in a different place, figure out what it is that you want Blender to do that you could have done in Maya, and then go onto the forum and ask how to do that particular thing. You'll get answers, I promise.
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, time to updates about custom normals, since they are in master since this afternoon.

Btw, if someone has a nice model using them and is OK to share images of it (or even better, a small demo video), it would be great to add to 2.74 release notes! @Yadoob, your manga character would be a nice illustration eg. :\
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah the 3d-cursor is indispensable, I used to hate it and still have it disabled on left mouse click, but I seriously can't imagine my workflow without it.

I never understand these complaints about blender's UI, I used Max way back in the day, but came back into 3d-modeling with blender and find everything extremely logical. I can only imagine Maya and Max mess people up far more than blender is itself messed up.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @mont29 I'll check that this week-end :D

Ptex's coming ! http://youtu.be/rkTWFcV509k?t=51m16s (still on "don't crash " developement ^^)
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Lovin' that Blender. Ptex! Awesome!

Jed, that is a great explanation of why the 3DCursor is, in fact, awesome, and not the spawn of Mephistopheles that many people think it is. I've gotten quite used to it and miss having it when I have to go another application.

Not really going to say much about Blender's UI except that it's never kept me from being productive, nor have I found it so atrocious or bad that I didn't want to use the program. But that's just me and maybe other people have other needs that aren't being met. Of course, all things can be improved, and there have been some really great discussions and a lot of work by others in an ongoing effort to simplify, consistent-ify and generally awesome-ify, Blender's UI. I suspect it will always be a moving target.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single application, outside of maybe XSI, that didn't seem like a bewildering mess when I first started to use it. Zbrush was perhaps the worst offender (and this was back in the ZB 2 days of yesteryear). After struggling with it for a while, though I got the hang of things and eventually started to like it. I still hear complaints about Zbrush's UI, but it doesn't keep people from cranking out awesome stuff.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D Cursor goodness - oldie but goodie if you have not seen it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8q95Ta4KE[/ame]
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Ugh, I need to remake that video.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, your own work always looks flawed eh - xrg? It shows the purpose well though and brings me back time and time again.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    And this video just taught me about the Spin tool, which looks absolutely fantastic ! Great stuff.

On a side note : I also personally use the 3d cursor for navigation, as it allows me to focus on and rotate around a very precise point in space which makes for a very pleasant navigation experience. Most 3D programs tend to give me some kind of uneasy feeling because they never quite zoom where I want (and understandably so - there is no way for a 3D program to guess what I am looking at), and the 3D cursor totally solves this problem.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ptex HYPE! I hope they get a proper multi-tile UV implementation too... and sparse texture support for GPU rendering.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: can you elaborate? Normally I just use numpad . for navigation purposes. How do you spin around the 3d cursor?
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    liquidape wrote: »
    Haha, your own work always looks flawed eh - xrg? It shows the purpose well though and brings me back time and time again.

It certainly has flaws that make me cringe, heh. It's more that it doesn't have narration so I get similar questions posted in the comments all the time. Kind of a good sign it's a bad video if a large amount of people watch it and then ask what I did. :/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jed : it's actually very simple, I use right click to place the 3D Cursor in the space of the scene, and with "Cursor Depth" enabled in User Preferences/Interface/View Manipulation, it goes exactly where I tell it to.

From there I have a key assigned to 3D view-Center View to Cursor (I use alt-F, as my hand is pretty much always near these keys). It allows me to navigate much more precisely than in any other 3D app, and I'd go as far as saying that this has been a game changer for me. No more dizzyness !
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if it'd help, but there is also an option to lock the view to the 3D cursor in the 'n-panel.'

CFRGtNI.png
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    mont29 wrote: »
    Hey, time to updates about custom normals, since they are in master since this afternoon.\

Hey, mont29, just want to say thanks for working on this. Been playing with it a little bit and I like what I see. Great feature to have.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Just learned you can snap verts/edges/faces to anything on the screen while locked to an axis. Can't believe I never figured that out, but incredibly useful.

/newb
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For what it's worth, here is a short clip showing what I mean about Cursor Depth and Center to Cursor. The whole point is that it allows me to precisely reach parts of the mesh that I want to observe without any unexpected shift in the camera center of rotation. And it works in object mode too, which by nature wouldn't allow for focusing on a given vertex or face. Navigating with that kind of precision would be impossible without defining a precise target point in space, and that's precisely what the 3D cursor is great at.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFoljtmNfA[/ame]

In practice I basically right click where I want the cursor to be, and then focus on it using a keyboard shortcut. It seems like a small detail, but for me it has been a game changer, making the whole experience better and eradicating any trace of motion sickness.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Someone can tell me how to set proper smooth groups in Blender so I can export them? I tried to use "Mark sharp" method, and every time I open this file in Marmoset Toolbag 2 looks like 1 smooth group ...

Damn ... I wish Blender had smooth group like 3DS Max.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Make sure you apply the modifier before export and you're using a script that keep the splits.
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    There is no need for a modifier for smoothing (starting with version 2.46?). In the mesh tab, select auto smooth and set the angle to 180 degrees. This will cause your sharp edges to show up and export properly without the need to actually split vertices with the edge split modifier.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    What "mesh tab"?
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7