Home Technical Talk

~What's your workflow?~

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I'm interested to know what kind of workflow polycounters use, may help some people find a new way of doing things, or another app to help us work better.

I'll start it off.

Software:

Max 2011 64bit
Zbrush 3.5 R3
Topogun x64
UVLayout 2.0.6
Crazybump
Photoshop CS5 x64

Workflow:

(1) High poly modeling (Max/Zbrush)

I usually start off baking some basic basemeshes in Max to import into zbrush, very basic stuff, with topology setup for the model I'm trying to achieve.

I'll build up my high res peice by peice in zbrush using subtools and the basemeshes from Max.

(2) Low Poly (Max/Topogun)

Usually I'll merge some of my subtools and export a medium level into Max for retopo using the Graphite polydraw tool. Sometime I use Topogun for more complex pieces that don't render well with transparency in Max.

(3) Unwrapping

From Max I'll split up the model based on what parts I can mirror, and I'll export the final model into OBJ format and bring it into UVLayout. UVlayout rocks for having a visual 3d way of unwrapping your model. It also visually displays stretching on the model so it's easy to get rid of stretching in key areas and helps your textures come out nice and clean.

I've heard Unfold3d is quite good, anyone know how it compares to UVlayout?

(4) Baking

I use Max for baking using scanline & Render to Texture. I use the cage and will usually do test bakes for each peice, adjust the cage, then do the final render with anti-aliasing and a higher resolution.

I always bake the texture map at 2x the final map size, this makes it easier to edit in Photoshop and capture more detail.

(5) Texturing

I use photoshop to do all the textures, using the AO Map I generate from (4) as a guide.

I've considered getting into Bodypaint 3D, but I find the interface pretty hard to learn, and not sure if the added features are worth it, anyone have any experience with Bodypaint?

(6) Rendering

Professional Work: Project's specific engine.

Personal Work: Xoliul's Max Viewport Shader, nuff said... :thumbup:

Replies

• Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Sure, why not

Software:

Maya 2010
    Mudbox 2010
    UVLayout
    xNormal
    Crazybump
    Photoshop CS4
    BodyPaint
    UDK
    Marmoset Toolbag

Workflow:

(1) High-poly modeling (Maya/Mudbox)

I usually work towards a mid-poly model that smooths well which I'll continue into a high-poly version, and optimize manually for the low-poly. I normally don't need too much sculpting, but when I do I like the pipeline in and out of Mudbox.

(2) Low-poly modeling (Maya)

I'll manually optimize the unsmoothed or lowest sub-d level of the model. I try to keep this in mind when making the model in the first place to make it all go smooth.

(3) Unwrapping (UVLayout)
    UVLayout makes this feel like it's not even a step any more. Love the stuff.

(4) Baking (xNormal)
    I tried normal map bakes in Maya, Max, and Mudbox first, and while I could get them to work, xNormal seems to give me the least fuss and less trial and error situations.

(5) Texturing (Photoshop/BodyPaint)
    I'll use Photoshop for simpler textures and the more technical aspects of texturing, but if I'm getting knees deep into painting, I'll normally boot up BodyPaint and have at it. Admittedly, I haven't delved into 3D functions of Photoshop, but after getting used to the somewhat finicky UI of BodyPaint, I like the 3D view and painting there just feels better to me for whatever reason. I'll only use CrazyBump for fine detail like scratches and paint chipping to add onto my existing normal map or to quickly convert a height map to a normal map.

(6) Rendering (UDK/Marmoset)
    I'll normally use UDK as I like setting up scenes and lighting and all that jazz, but if it's an individual prop I'm showing off, Marmoset does well.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I think it probably helps to say what kind of work you do.

For environment hard surface work, I've gotten pretty good with all the major programs so it doesn't really matter which I use, but the workflow does differ a bit between them. A lot of the stuff is the same, so I just copy/pasted.

Max>Mudbox/Zbrush>xNormal>PS>CB>Marmoset

For my Max workflow, I'll create the high poly first in Max. I try to create small details in additional edit poly modifiers so that I can just delete them for the low poly. Once I'm done with the high poly, I might bring pieces into Mudbox or Zbrush if there is some specific detail I want to get like major damage, but otherwise I'll add small detail with Crazybump instead.

For the low poly, I usually just delete the edit poly modifiers and control edges from the high poly, or create new low poly geo if it is totally different. I'll then optimize/rebuild, and UV it in Max, then export both the low and high to xNormal for normal map and AO baking. For most meshes, I export piece by piece overwriting each piece as I bake, and combining the maps in Photoshop while I'm doing it. I use xnormal to also create a map of all the uv shells, and use that as a selection mask while texturing. I also create a cavity map to use as a guide for texturing, but usually turn it off for the final texture.

I create the texture with Photoshop and Crazybump, and use Marmoset for realtime preview while I'm texturing. I use a set of custom brushes to paint in wear and grime, and photoreference from cgtextures as needed.

Maya>Mudbox/Zbrush>xNormal>PS>CB>Marmoset

For my Maya workflow, I'll create the high poly first in Maya. I'll usually save out a midpoly version at some point to optimize later instead of the edit poly modifiers. Once I'm done with the high poly, I might bring pieces into Mudbox or Zbrush if there is some specific detail I want to get like major damage, but otherwise I'll add small detail with Crazybump instead.

For the low poly, I usually just delete the edit poly modifiers and control edges from the high poly, or create new low poly geo if it is totally different. I'll then optimize/rebuild, and UV it in Maya, and bake the normal map in Maya piece by piece, and the AO in xNormal if it needs to be baked from the HP. I use xnormal to also create a map of all the uv shells, and use that as a selection mask while texturing. I also create a cavity map to use as a guide for texturing, but usually turn it off for the final texture.

I create the texture with Photoshop and Crazybump, and use Marmoset for realtime preview while I'm texturing. I use a set of custom brushes to paint in wear and grime, and photoreference from cgtextures as needed.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, looks like you have been thinking a lot on what we were talking about earlier.

Here are my programs:
    3ds max 2011
    Mudbox 2011
    Body paint 3d via cinema 4d
    Unfold 3d magic version 6
    Photoshop cs4
    3d coat
    xnormal
    Max Retopo Plugin
    Zbrush 3.5r3 (rarely)

1. BASE Mesh: I use a similar workflow, although, I have been using 3d coat for my initial base mesh on the high poly. I like the fact that with voxels, you can litterally build something from nothing, and you are not limited with polygons.

2. Base Mesh Part II: After I have a base in 3d coat, I convert it to polys, and export to 3ds max. I have been using "Max_Retopo" plugin which is amazing. Gives you all the benifits of max tools, with the added functionality of topogun/3d coat (which always keeps stuff on the surface of your high poly). So anyways, I build a perfect base mesh in max with all the polygons even, for the highpoly sculpt.
    BTW, check it Max Retopo here if you haven't already: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

3. High Poly: Once I have my base mesh I then use mudbox to do my sculpting. I'll switch to zbrush if needed, but 90 percent of the time I am in mudbox, and now with the new pivot tools, I'll probably just stick to mud.

4. Low Poly: 3ds max with "max retopo" again.

5. Unwrapping: 3ds max for straightening stuff and packing, unfold 3d v6 for marking seams and getting the major stuff unwrapped.

6. Baking: depends on what I'm doing. If its hard surface I'll do a bake with xnormal and 3ds max. With characters I find just sticking with 3ds max does the trick.

7. Texturing. I spend most of my time in Photoshop. But if I am projecting stuff, the new features in Mudbox are amazing, so I use mudbox for that (2011 can even use photoshop layers). For fixing seams, and painting stuff where the normals are, I use Bodypaint 3d (via cinema 4d). The cool thing about this is, I can apply my normals, and use the "raybrush render view" trick to see the low poly with normals, then paint accordingly.

8. Rendering. I use Marmoset at first, always to quickly view my normals and AO bakes. I usually stick with marmoset for about half the texturing (setting up major layers, AO, base textures, etc.) Then once the textures are about half way, and the more finicky stuff is coming, I switch back to 3ds max and use Xoliul's Shader. I do all my final renders with Xoluil shader now.

That's it for me. So probably the things I use that many probably don't are:

3d coat: for "concept 3d sculpt, or major forms for high poly"
    Mudbox: for projecting textures
    Unfold 3d magic: for major unfolding
    "max retopo plugin": for low poly
    Bodypaint "Raybrush render view" trick: for painting where the normals affect the low poly
    Oh yeah, and I always use xnormal photoshop plugin for cavity maps and "height to normals" when painting my own normals via 2d.