Home Technical Talk

Sub-D Methods

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
I was just thinking if there were any other ways to achieve sub-D models with polygon modeling without having to add support edges.
Isn't there a modifier out there that enables you to define edge sharpness (adjustable value in modifier) that doesn't make you put in any control edges on the initial mesh?

I'm just curious about this because i think some of the sub-D work could be sped up a lot by something like this without having to use other modeling techniques and it would be a lot less destructive to the basic mesh.

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Isn't there a crease thing in max since a few versions ago? Not sure how good it is.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, there is. Most subdivisions algorithms support "edge weights" where you can specificy edges that will remain "sharper" when the model is subdivided.

The problem is that this can lead to twisting/pinching issues since you the algorithm has to interpolate parts of your mesh to compensate for the hard edge you added.

If you understand the pros and cons of using them I'm sure you could integrate them into your work-flow.

They are great for some things and I know lots of artists who use them on a regular basis, but the results aren't always intuitive unless you have some experience with them.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    ah tnx for the information
    just found out that meshsmooth in 3ds max has this functionality
    i'm used to using turbosmooth so i never really noticed it

I think i'm going to give it a try :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The Creasing in Meshsmooth is kind of annoying to use cause it's gonna keep on breaking as you work your model, so you have to reset the creases all the time.
    It doesn't actually give you a nice beveled edge, as soon as you start creasing it gives you very sharp edge.

Some kind of modifier that creates nice bevels on all hard edges of a model could be nice, like what MentalRay can do during rendering with specific materials.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Since your in max, you might also want to try the "double turbo smooth" trick. You just apply one turbo smooth modifier over the top of the other one. What your essentially doing is uniforming up the mesh density so all edges get beveled nicely. Its a very quick way to uniformly beveling an object.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Jocose, I think you forgot to mention you need to activate the Seperate by Smoothing Groups, and actually have hard edges. But yeah that's an interesting technique, not sure if anyone actually uses it practically?
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    all the time. mostly for basemeshes to sculpt though. you'll still need to add at least rough support edges in places otherwise the bevels will be wonky. so it's not really better than "normal" sub-d for me.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I use it a LOT for mechanical stuff. It can be so much faster for complex objects, though at times you still need the control that manually placing edges gives.

All you need to do for "doublesmooth" is keep your mesh density fairly equal and mind your mesh flow like you would when adding control edges, and you should have equally round edges. Adding the smooth groups is much faster than one may think.