Lately I have been working on a character for a small UDK project that we are doing with some of my classmates, one of the things we want to learn is how to properly use normal mapping low poly objects/characters using high res sculpts. This is my first Zbrush Character, so I still have so much to learn. Hence this post!
I am really interested in your opinions on the character!
Also if you have any cool Zbrush tips and tricks for workflow or character creation let me know!
Hopefully we can collect some usefull tips and tricks in this post.
If the Zbrush section becomes to big we could always start a new post on this topic
A futuristic skater, who uses advanced organic technology's to scavenge deserted ruins of a depopulated world.
Zbrush WiP images
Please not that this is still a work in progress
Zbrush Tips n Tricks
Some of the things I have learned so far!
Great Plugin for editing your textures in photoshop, copying new material on to your texture and more!
Baking Matcap Materials with Zapplink
OMG this is how:
- Isolate the object with the material you want to bake
- Set front,back,left,right,top and bottom camera in Zapplink properties
- Ctrl+C the Shader Layer (which says do not touch)
- Ctrl+V the layer above the diffuse layer
- Set the layer to hard light
- Merge down (I suggest making a photoshop action for this to speed up your workflow)
- Repeat for all the other camera angles
- Go back to Zbrush and accept all the new zapplinked polypaintings
Congrats you now have your shader data copied to your polypainting
Kudos to Screenwriter805
Awesome, a one button UV unwrap plugin. How perfect!
Import multiple .obj fast
Export multiple subtools to .obj fast
Efficient High to low Poly creation using Zbrush
My understanding so far:
- High Res Sculpting in Zbrush
Base mesh with quads
Even spaced quads
- Polypainting in Zbrush
Zapplink for speeding up the process using reference material and baking matcap materials
- Retopo low poly
Using 3D Coat, Topogun, Maya with plugins or max with plugins to retopologise your character. (dont know which is the most efficient yet)
- UV low Poly
Zbrush UV masters or 3D Coat for precision.
Other methods: UV layout by headus (old school), Maya, Max
- Combine High poly with Low poly
Let me know what you think and if you have anything to add