Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

StarCraft 2 C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
Well with contracts expiring and a very long gap between employment opportunities for future projects its time to start adding more to the folio and finding a new and exciting job opportunity.

Wanted to do something fun and after watching the SC2 cinematic like a million times, playing the beta and never having done a gun before I deiced to the C-14 Impaler Gauss Rife (or that's the name according to the SC Wiki). I based it off cinematic, a few pics I found of the small Marine statue and a pic of a papercraft version someone made so if you see some inaccuracy's let me know as I didnt have a ton of good refs to go off of.

As this is the first gun I am doing would love to hear from people who have done guns before on things I might want to change/add to make it cooler/a better gun. I am fine with deviating from the original design a little if it helps it make it a better gun in the end.

Updates might be a little on the slow side as we are coming off a crunch headed into a mini crunch followed by more crunch but I will try to update as much as possible.

Thanks everyone :)

vaccaroanthonystarcraft.jpg

FINAL:

vaccaroAnthony_starcraft_01.jpg

vaccaroAnthony_starcraft_04.jpg

vaccaroAnthony_starcraft_03.jpg

vaccaroAnthony_starcraft_02.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    loos awesome, is there some smoothing issue in the FPS view? I see some weird shading on the side infront of the top vent.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    It's very well modeled and looks fairly beefy from the side, though in the FPS shot you provided it's looking rather boxy and some of the beefy has been lost. This may be because the details and forms on that make it look great from the side (and those kick ass front details!) are hidden from view, instead putting those blocky shapes right in your eyes. The large flat shape on the side looks great as well from the side but from the FPS view it looks bland and needs something to break it up.

So yeah I'd suggest at least rounding out the boxy shapes that are right in your face from the FPS view. Anything to break that up is good, though if you want to stay true to the concept it looks very well executed.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? This got pushed back to the second page? It's good stuff so have a free bump.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    As usual, awesome work man. Though I agreed with racer, it's a bit boxy especially in the fps view. Plus the front part is more detailed than part seen in the fps view, which should be the other way around.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    loving the detail in the front, just put some detail and round out the shapes more like Racer said :) that foregrip looks a bit small but that may be due to the bottom of the grip being flattened out instead of at an angle like the papercraft one..

rifle2.jpg
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    nice work man! agree with the crits given so far. fps view just needs some more loving.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    This looks very clean, awesome job ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    good model, i'd try to make it look more interesting from FPV though even if the concept is the way it is now
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits an info on the FPS view guys. Main reason I asked because it indeed seemed a little bland, i guess with the cinematic focusing on the front and side they didnt worry if it looked cool from a FPS view.

Now when you guys say "round out the shapes" do you litterly mean make them more rounded/curved? Or making those large blocky shappes more of a flat area with having smaller cut in details like the front?

@ZakD - the odd shading thing is due to the gun having a small tapper inward where those odd shadings are. I guess I should either change it or make it very pronounced.

@haiddasalami - The foregrip is a bit smaller then one should be on a gun this size because according to the cinematic the Marines dont hold that they actually just rest the back of there hand up against it while holding the horizontal part. Strange I know but thats how it is I guess. Also mine has that angle on it, just not evident in the pics.

Finally is there a good way to put things in correct FPS views? I just kinda winged it.

Again thanks for all the feedback :) Hopefully I can try out some redesigns tomorrow.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The high res looks nice...good stuff.

Someone previously finished one of these a while ago. I tried finding it on game artisan but apparently the guy who did it took it down...woulda' been good reference or at least a base for quality to reach if you were going with a game res version.

I think the part that seems kinda bland is the barrel top. If anything add some type of aiming device on the top, even if its not on the real thing.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Now when you guys say "round out the shapes" do you litterly mean make them more rounded/curved? Or making those large blocky shappes more of a flat area with having smaller cut in details like the front?

@haiddasalami - The foregrip is a bit smaller then one should be on a gun this size because according to the cinematic the Marines dont hold that they actually just rest the back of there hand up against it while holding the horizontal part. Strange I know but thats how it is I guess.

Finally is there a good way to put things in correct FPS views? I just kinda winged it.

Just anything to break up those boxy shapes though round plastic stuff often helps push the sci fi look I find.

*gun nerding start* The way they hold it is actually how a lot of shooters started holding their rifles. When you use a vertical foregrip you're holding it with a closed fist which results in worse blood flow thus fatiguing the shooter. The "thumb break grip" shown here allows for a more open hand and a more sturdy grip. *gun nerding out over*

Just add a camera with the target pointed straight ahead, then set the FOV to the desired level (54 or 75 is usually decent) and move into the FPS position. It's not proper but it's fast and fairly true to a real FPS view.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

So I want to get back into some HP modeling and Max and decided to use this old gun I started forever ago as a good jumping off point. Started noodling around with this guy trying to get a more interesting FPS view as the original wasn't designed for that. Tried to bring in some elements seen on the actual Marine to try and tie it in better with him while giving some much needed FPS detail. Open to suggestions if anyone has any stellar ones as concepting weapons is not my thing ha.

Figure if I post in here again it will hopefully force me to take things thing all the way to making a LP and Texture.

rework1.jpg

rework2.jpg
  • perkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia
    Racer445

Two great weapon tutorials, both go from Highpoly/Lowpoly/Texture.

I am really digging the look in FPS view, would be great to see this in a game.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, mainly was fixing little things and noodeling around with others. Suggestions always welcome :)

reworkv21.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the HP, not much has changed, mainly small things, but its done now and time for the low! Also big shout out thanks to my buddy Wes (wester) for doing this paintover concept I used as inspiration he did for me a few months ago. What really helped me pick this project back up :)

reworkv31.jpg
    reworkv32.jpg

paintover4.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good hot stuff! You better finish this..i want to go on record for threatening your life if you don't finish this.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i'm a witness to that. i saw it. let it be written that wes will kill autocon if the aforementioned requirements are not met.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, dude !
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly plus Normal/AoO bake. Time to texture and omg its been so long since I have done that, kinda worried hahaha

12k tris

avaccarogunwirefps.jpg

avaccarogunwireside.jpg

avaccarogunwireback.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fantastic anthony! My favorite part is the techy stuff on the back...that's probably some of the best design i've ever seen ;)

No but i love this man! I really hope you take this as far as you plan to.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    yessss love it.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome model and love the FPV additions! Awesome bake too!
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, there seems to be a lot of wasted geo on the flat sections toward the front of the rifle though :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I agree. Given how many triangles you're throwing at the front, it's also silly that the grates besides the display rely 100% on normals, as do those 3 bolts (? the triangle of circles) on the sides.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Back design is awesome :0
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice work! Love how your HUD design fits so well into the established design. I can imagine the cylinders being extra cooling or some such thing.
  • KonstantinL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonstantinL polycounter lvl 6
    wow amazing job!
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Love starcraft play it but im bad, great rifle like it lots of details will you do low poly ?
    You should do turntable render :)
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, this looks really cool :) Go forth!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys and gals.

As for the unneeded tris in some places that was due to the fact that since I build things at work all day using tiling textures I dont rely on normal maps to fix smoothing issues. I have to add in extra cuts to fix smoothing and just forgot when doing this guy so I will go back in and remove some of them that are not needed. Since I dont do 1 to 1 mapped things at work, I guess I got stuck in the "ok fix these smoothing issues with geo!" mindset. So thanks for catching that :)

And for some of the stuff relying on just normals near the readout part, I had those actually modeled out in my LP and cant for the life of me remember why I removed them. I guess thats what happens when you take a break for the holidays in the middle of building your LP ha
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty fucking great dude, love the beefiness of it! Nailed it!

You should give ddo a shot, just for shits and giggles ya know, you can have a lot of fun with it, specially with mechanical models such as these.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    i can't wait to see this textured
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my LP and started messing around in Marmoset Toolbag. Trying to define my materials early. Still a bit of work to go to really get my Chrome, Metal and Plastic read as they shood. Also blocking in there respective main colors.

wireframefix.jpg

material1l.jpg

material2j.jpg
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful work, top of the line! the design is not functional though, the ejection port/Bolt is not aligned with the barrel if you care about that kind of thing ;)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ammo counters. DARN YOU 'ALIENS' (film)!!!! Feels good!
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with HP, Try dDo, itll give you some great wear and tear, otherwise looks beautiful!
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    cant wait for the textures!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried out dDo, not what I was looking for at all. Too "procedural" looking and I could never really control things the way I wanted them.

WIP of the texture. Right now I have my overall grunge on everything set, wanted to go with getting the big overall detail/grunge in there first and then move onto adding scratches/unique specific grunge. Then more details/decals to wrap it up.

In Marmoset atm.

j1nm.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Really liking the fps view, I find the barrel to be to blocking looking for my taste, but never mind that.
    Bit hard to critique the texturing atm, but give it a bit more work with separating the materials, like lower the gloss on the plastic a bit, cause it looks a bit too uniform.

I wish you spent some more polygons to bevel some of the edges, that are close to the viewer in fps view.

Great job :)
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Autocon nice job here, and awesome concept.

Just wondering, are you using 3dsmax with 3 point shader for those shots?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stromberg90 - What areas are you seeing that look like they need bevels?

@riklopes - I made the gun in Max and using Marmoset Toolbag for the shots.

Just a little update, working on the texture.

i1d2.jpg
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon, thanks for that,
    btw, what is your texturing pipeline? do you use mudbox at all? or just photoshop.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long has this taken you? ;) HA
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    This are the edges I meant, nice update on that texture :)
    nwGifi7.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm back at it with this silly thing. Although my buddy Wes says I should just abandon this project since its been like fucking years since I started and I constantly get distracted from finish it which is true haha

Few things still left to edit on the metal, then a decal pass and then get it lit well. In Toolbag 2, need to find a way to get the lights/highlights to pop more, pretty flat. Some strong added lights should help I think, just the default sky settings atm.

efnb.jpg

8l2k.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    It's too bad that it's all grey, the papercraft ref you posted looked so nice, with some blue/green gradient and yellow and red spots. Well I don't relly know Starcraft 2, but generally Blizzard stuff is colored, not grey.

The mesh looks good anyway, but the texture is a bit boring ^^.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think the papercraft version looks terrible. Makes it look like a silly toy. Yes Blizzard dose have a lot of color in the games but they also know when not to use color. Most all weapons in Starcraft are just grey metal as it helps there weapons stand out from the units themselves. The actual weapon from Starcraft is one solid grey color, I am adding a lot more color than it originally has but I dont want it to look like a toy. Still want it to feel like a big heavy weapon used to rip the face off a hydralisk :)

I will agree things are a bit boring in that last image, I was just using my diffuse as my spec and the lighting is terrible so things come across very boring. Here is an update. Just started to add some decals that will give bits more color here and there.

jz2e.jpg

bwsh.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great man. Loving how chunky it is in the first person view.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I am working on a Terran weapon at the moment too and I was just wondering what kind of workflow you used to make all of the seams and indents? Did you model all of them in by hand, sculpt them, or use floating geo? Either way it looks great so far :)