Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40k- Landraider

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
This is a personal project of mine, I was playing DOW a while back and really liked the look of the landraiders. Im modeling this with the eventual goal of baking it down into a low poly mesh.

So I've blocked in all the major forms and have started creating the high poly meshes. First Up is the rear Exhaust panel
preview_1_exhaust.jpg

preview_1_exhaust_w.jpg

reference:
landraiderfinal2er0.jpg

Replies

• Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Strong start cant wait to see more! Looks like you nailed down the most difficult part right off the bat, should be smooth sailing from here on in.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Please correct the miniature's flaw of not having any room for track suspension!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! Some nice poly modeling going on =)

The proportions seem a little off, the center part is missing the heat sink-ish fins and looks kind of wide. Hopefully you have blocked out the entire shape of the land raider first? Getting all the proportions spot on before digging into the details.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty good so far. You're missing the little blocks at the top of the stacks that surround the inner pipe. I need to steal your topo for the stacks - looks good :)

Working on some 40k stuff at home, so I'll be watching this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys :)

GhostScape: Cheers, I'd totally missed the blocks on the exhausts, will add them,
    I think i have enough geometry to support them in that area ;).
    The stacks are real easy to do if you model them flat and bend them into place.
    infact the main manifold was modeled as a flat plane and path deformed into shape.

Vig: Thanks man :D
    I have the central hull all blocked out using splines and booleans which i am converting to sub d geometry.
    Yeah i forgot to un-hide the heat-sink when i was preparing to render, it must have been on the same layer as the blockout pieces.

Ill double check the proportions, I modeled directly from a pretty much straight on photo of another land raider so it might have been slightly different( or I'm just wrong :) )

Syaped: Space Marines don't need suspension :), It must have been leading to heresy or something so they removed it :D

It seems to be that way on every version i can find so I'm going to keep it on model. It does seem a bit daft though.

Flava-fly: Thanks man :) The whole thing seems complex. why do they need so many little holes all over it !!! :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I've got the tracks modeled, and in place. wrote a script to place them automatically(which was nice). I've also included the blockout of the hull to put everything in perspective. Like Vig said. its looking too wide. I'll sort that out

Critiques they be welcome!
    tracks_with_blockin.png
    track_wire.png
    tracks_with_blockin2.png
    blockin_wire.png
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    bad.....ass......

cant wait to see this thing done. looks amazing so far
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    That looks pretty much perfect so far, man! great job!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys :) Heres my latest updates. Im a little confused about the width, i double check my reference and it seems spot on. I think the issue was the height of the exhaust block. Im messing with that now and will post the results soon.
    Side_panels_tracks.png
    sides_wires.png
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    fuck sake man this looks great and it pisses me off i can't model this well. would you mind sharing your rendering setup?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph wrote: »
    fuck sake man this looks great and it pisses me off i can't model this well. would you mind sharing your rendering setup?

Sure thing. Its rendered in max using 2 photometric target lights
    1 blue pointing at about 45 degrees from below (ray traced shadows)
    1 orange pointing at about 45 degrees from above (ray traced shadows)
    (use the filter colour to tint the lights)

That gives a hot/cold colour gradient, rather than just light and dark you have light dark hot and cold. this helps to show the forms.

The fill light is a run of the mill skylight. with about 0.5 intensity. Final gather on and is left on the default setting.

The material is a Standard max material with its shader type set to multi layer.
    The Diffuse slot has a Ambient/Reflective occlusion shader in it. to pick out all the indentations and surface intersections.

The first specular component has a very low gloss and high specular strength.
    The second specular component has a high gloss and high specular strength.

give it a try, I can put together a file if you need it
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    That's coming out pretty nicely. Good work! :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    SICK model! And thanks for sharing the rendering tips, I made myself a quick PSD combining your HP render and the tips you gave me. I'm excited to try it out later on! Don't worry, it's got you name on it for when I give it out to my friends when they need a bad ass render. XD
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad its of use to you. try it out first and comment in here. i may have forgot something. best not to confuse anyone :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, well it could be because I'm such a noob but I've been messing with it for the last hour and it's hasn't been working out too well for me. A file would be awesome if you had the chance. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reduce the intensity of the skylight to about .2 and darken the colour of the ambient occlusions light colour.

i failed to mention those things earlier and it looks too washed out without them
    how do i attach files here?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i did reduce the intensity a bit on the skylight because I saw that it was blowing it out a bit. But my problem was when I actually has GI turned on with mental ray with the default setting the mesh would be black. And some other things. And I'm not sure if you can attach on this forums :/ If ya don't mind e-mailing that'd be awesome. btboyles@gmail.com
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I checked my file and i had a few things assways in my explanation. heres a file
    http://www.robertfletcher.org/public_files/lighting_1.max

Why were you using GI? FG is all that was mentioned.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: good work so far

edit: just noticed the skull!!! : level +1 for you, this is cool
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GAH, that was it. GI instead of FG... lol Thanks again for the file, I really like this setup! Cheers! Looking forward to more of your Landraider!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right i got most of the upper hull paneling modled and some filler on the sides has also been completed.

Upper_hull.png
    upper_hull_wires.png

rear_hull.png
    rear_wires.png

Willburforce: there are so many skulls on this thing :D I think the designers were a little fixated.

SouthPawSid: Noob :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i always lol when i say ppl ask for render setups. more so on your case, cause you say you cant model that well..

Well if you cant model that well, instead of asking for beauty tips.. ask for tips on how to model.

Don't you think?
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love warhammer 40k, Nice landraider, What kind of color scheme are you going for? Ultramarines, iron fist?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love warhammer 40k, Nice landraider, What kind of color scheme are you going for? Ultramarines, iron fist?

Blood Ravens :), black templars was another contender. I didn't really like all the seals and bits of chain hanging off everything though.

bitmap: I see what you mean. It doesn't bother me though. If they want to become a better modeler they can ask questions or they can ask about rendering and i can jibber on about mental ray all day :)

I would say to doeseph though that with a bit of study this sort of modeling is pretty easy. Main rules would be chamfer your corners evenly, buffer hard features with support edges and stick to using Quads. also don't be afraid of spending your polys.
    Im no master but if you peeps want tips ask.

Moar Renders:
    I went a bit daft and modeled this in 1 piece :poly142:
    door_render.png
    door_wire.png
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    i always lol when i say ppl ask for render setups. more so on your case, cause you say you cant model that well..

Well if you cant model that well, instead of asking for beauty tips.. ask for tips on how to model.

Don't you think?

I asked a perfectly legitimate question. Just because it may be a "bueauty tip" doesn't make it less important than if I asked him how he modeled that perfect 45 degree angle on the lower left of his tank tread. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from people more skilled than I, so what the fuck do you care what kind of questions I ask?

Why are you even posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to say in the first place?

@r_fletch_r thanks for the tips and the lighting file! I still can't believe how awesome this is so far!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    puttin a dress on a pig wont make him any pretty, you know?
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    puttin a dress on a pig wont make him any pretty, you know?

Depends on the dress.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno....
    freschello-pig_25.jpg

Silliness aside I'd prefer if you there wasn't a flame war in my thread. If there is something specific about something i've modeled that anyone wants to know i'd be happy to help.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    r_fletch_r,
    I think the pig is still ugly :P

no but more seriously I think in you most recent update the panel you have is fitted to tightly into the space compared to your original reference you posted up. I say this because those spaces are what is keeping the tank interesting and not making it look like a flat box.
    And I think by the time you cast normals onto a lowpoly (that is if you are going to do so) it is going to be even less noticeable.
    Everything is coming out nicely though. Looking forward to seeing some kind of textures on this thing.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r,
    I think the pig is still ugly :P

no but more seriously I think in you most recent update the panel you have is fitted to tightly into the space compared to your original reference you posted up. I say this because those spaces are what is keeping the tank interesting and not making it look like a flat box.
    And I think by the time you cast normals onto a lowpoly (that is if you are going to do so) it is going to be even less noticeable.
    Everything is coming out nicely though. Looking forward to seeing some kind of textures on this thing.

How can i take criticism from man with no taste in farm animals!! ;)
    The panel in the reference is recessed further into the hull, otherwise it fits flush. Your right though as it is it wont bake too well. I have some ideas about how to work around this.

I'm blocking out the lascannons at the moment
    las_cannon_wires.png
    lasCannon_1.png
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to tell by the most recent wireframes alone, but what part of that turret is floating geo? It looks as though you've made it so the whole hinge and turret is floating geo, but I can't be certain. And how do you personally decide what ends up being floating geo and what is subd? Does it matter how "messy" the wires look or how tight a quad is so long as the form you're shooting for is correct?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to tell by the most recent wireframes alone, but what part of that turret is floating geo? It looks as though you've made it so the whole hinge and turret is floating geo, but I can't be certain. And how do you personally decide what ends up being floating geo and what is subd? Does it matter how "messy" the wires look or how tight a quad is so long as the form you're shooting for is correct?

To clarify some terms. Floating Geo is Geometry that is not 'physically' part of an objects geometry, but in reality should be.

You wouldn't use the term floating for separate elements of an object that in reality would be individual attached parts.

The lascannons are still 90% blockout Geometry. what i mean by this is i have described the forms but i have not created a mesh that is subD ready. You never start with subD. its best to nail the form of the object with primitive objects and floating geo and then once you know the forms are corrrect convert them to sub D
    If I smoothed the Lascannons as they are now (with the exception of the barrels)
    they would look a total mess.

SubD while looking pretty is cumbersome to work with and change, so focus on form and then SUBD.

If your modeling for baking the state of the mesh is less of a concern than modeling for rendering. This is not a get out clause though, if you model neat your results will generally be much better and more workable.

The best SubD tip i can give you is to break the objects up as much as you can. If your modeling a door never try to model the frame,the door, and the handle from 1 mesh. You'll end up with a polygon cluster fuck thats much more complex and harder to work with than it needs to be
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the Lascannons, while not being physically attached geometrically, would not be considered floating geo because in reality (or the 40k universe) it would be attached in the construction process? I was always under the impression floating geo was anything not physically attached to any part of the majority of the model.

And do you smooth the entire model once you have supporting edges from subd? Or just cylindrical/hard corners?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me floating geo is the word you use when you modeled something that should have strickly been part of a surface but you modeled it separately to save time.

Generally a good model is made of lots of logical islands of geometry. there is not reason to model parts of a model as 1 huge chunk of geometry if they are not physically 1 continuous surface. Every time you add more forms to a mesh the rest of the mesh has to deal with the extra loops created by adding this new geometry. you can see it on the top of the land raider. where the lights are merged into the upper hull. the amount of support geo comming out of the lights is massive.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makes sense to me, thanks for the explanation and tips fletch. I might just try my hand using those techniques on a high poly model here soon.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ♥ this thread. Looking awesome fletch! Utmost inspiration for good sub-d! Also I messed with the lighting setup. I loves it. HPcanon.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im doing another blockout pass at the moment. getting all the smaller details in

heres basically where i am at the moment. a lot of the cannons is still blockout
    land_raider_all_elements_wip.png
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Liking it :)

Those are some lean mean looking cannons :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice. very faithful to the origional. you looking to go for more of a scale look (as though it really was a model) or you trying to get a "this is full scale" look?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum wrote: »
    nice. very faithful to the origional. you looking to go for more of a scale look (as though it really was a model) or you trying to get a "this is full scale" look?

im aiming at a full scale look.

W1r3d: thanks man, glad you like it
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome modeling man, I'm surprised how well all the little bits and pieces like bolts/panel seams etc stand out when you view the whole piece, makes it look really nice. You've got a good balance though, it looks enough to be believable but not too much where it just looks unnecessary.

I've got no crits, but looking forward to seeing it progress!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised how well all the little bits and pieces like bolts/panel seams etc stand out when you view the whole piece

Thats ambient occlusion for you :) Im glad you like it man.

Not much progress to speak off today. managed to get some more done on the cannons though
    lascannon_2.png
    lascannon_wires_2.png
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    How's this going? Been watching this with interest, the level of detail is phenomenal. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck yea, I haven't checked on this in a long time and wow, just wow. Keep up the awesome work! Keep goin!
  • 2000yearsoldman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2000yearsoldman polycounter lvl 13
    The details you did on the track are awesome.
    Keep it up.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bundle of coils under the gun look awesome. Overall density of detail is amazing.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa cool. How did you do the wire coils under the Las cannon?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, glad your liking it guys. Im still working away. havent had as much time as id like.
    heres a quick vid outlining how i did the wire bundles.
    http://screencast.com/t/M2UzN2Y1N

heres a couple of quick renders. renders arnt exactly flattering. I've ripped the lighting out to do baking. (this is just a default daylight system).
    Im really loving 3Points normal map plugin. SWEEEEEET. will be posting the normal mapped low poly soon.
    upper_hull_2.png
    bolters.png
    I went a little nutty and detailed the under side. Its used in the rear of the raider so it wasnt wasted time.. thats my excuse anyway :)
    not_a_healthy_place_to_be.png
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work man! looking forward to seeing the low and then some sweet sweet texture love.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't you think?

QFT