Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Hallway WIP

Hey Everyone,

Been lurking around this forum for a while now, admiring the work that gets posted on here. It really is inspring stuff. Figured I may as well start posting, as I have alot to learn and getting feedback and crits from everyone on here seems like the best thing to help me improve.

I wanted to create a small sci-fi scene, to get some hard surface modelling practice, as well as learn texturing and UDK.

Its based it on 2 great concepts by Charles Lee. I decided to try taking some elements of each corridor and combine them.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5530/hallwaysconcept.jpg

High Poly WIP of the 1st wall.

walld.jpg

sidekf.jpg

I was also wondering what the recommended tri count for a model like this would be.

Cheers.

Replies

• Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update, still have more work to do on the wall. But got a good bit of the floor done.

wallflooro.jpg

Also tried testing how the corridor looked head on, wall on the right is just placeholder. Will be modelling a different wall for the right side.

frontix.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I like it. Has good overall shape and flow. I would say maybe have some floor lights.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the shapes you have going on the modular pieces, I think you should break up the repitition by having like 2-4 versions of the wall pieces. Every other two pieces you could swap with a diffeent version or something like that...
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

Ajr : Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I will break up the repitition more. I was thinking along the left side, maybe every 2nd or 3rd wall piece have one of those large rotating fans in the centre of the wall? Might give some nice shadows. I will be modelling a completley different wall for the right side of the hallway.

Didnt get a chance to work on it today, Im going to block out the roof and doorway next. Then focus on the right wall segment and lighting.
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it a lot, i dont see anything overcomplicated which may distort anything, well done.
  • JamesSy03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea this is looking good, I agree with Jet Pilot on adding some floor lights, maybe having them flicker for effect (eventually), and Ajr with adding some more different pieces, maybe even your own design influenced by Charles Lee. Adding the fan you suggested is also a good idea, with a light behind for effect. You have any wireframes by chance? Otherwise, looking good, keep it up. - JamesSy03
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice James, yeah here are wireframes for the high poly. Had to printscreen them, as im not sure how to render the model with wireframes.

wire1g.jpg

wire2.jpg
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Made some progress on the doorway and ceiling. Might redo the ceiling though.

2r2oifc.jpg

Also, heres an image showing what way I plan to animate the door, and what I hope to add to the scene next.

hallwayedit.jpg
  • meshfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshfx polycounter lvl 6
    ditto on the lights comment, maybe if you had some grills every few sections you could filter some light up from the underside also.. give the illusion there is something below also.
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the mid wall section... the 3 repeated parts that are rhombus or whatever, darker grill... i dont understand them as part of the design, what are they?

dig the corners of the corridor and the general simple/comlpexity ... the flow of the corridor thuogh... very very nice work so far!
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

Will : Hah, I was waiting for someone to ask what the 3 black objects were. To be honest I havent got a clue. In charles Lee's original concept I based it on, he had one large lack object of the same shape. I just decided to spit it into 3 smaller ones. My only guess is maybe they are some kind of heaters or something but I have no idea.

Havent had time to make more progress on this latley, only got started on it again yesterday. I decided to try making a low poly version of the 1st wall and floor and test them in UDK. Once I feel good with these in UDK, I get started on the 2nd wall tile and some props.

m7s3li.jpg

At the minute I think the textures maybe look a little to desaturated and there are some tiling errors, also I need to learn how to make a proper specular map, any good tutorials out there or tips?

Heres the floor and wall in max with wire frame. The wall is around 900 tris at the minute, which I think is most likley to high, I will try and get it down lower. The floor is 18 tri's, I could maybe try baking it to a plane also.

11171943.jpg

71935457.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love this, its so simple in design yet so styleish, whenever i try to sit down and come up with a pattern like this i always get a brainfreeze, so props for the consistent look!

Lowpoly looks good but i agree some stuff can still be removed to make it lower, a few edgeloops that arnt needed from what i can see.

Keep going, this is definately gonna be awesome.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking nice so far! I think you could lighten up the textures in the dark areas: the black vents on the wall, the corrugated pipes at the side of the walkway and the black parts of the walkway. They look too black and are in need of some definition.
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spitfire - Thanks for the comments, I will definitley remove some of unnecessary edges.

GCMP - Thanks for the advice, I will lighten up those areas in the texture so they can be seen better. Cheers.

Will be away for the next week, so It'll be a little while before I can make more progress on the scene. When I get back I hope to texture the ceiling and doorway, then get started on the other highpolys.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    dont neglect the floor, so many peices i see like this where you get the flor only needs to be a plane... no if anything add a bit more parrellexing to it, some edging will also help mipping adding detail in the middle distance, maybe recess the grilled bits slightly or give them an alpha mask onto some "stuff" underneath...

your lights are dull as well, look at real lights they are never flat planes give them at least the hint of the bulb or whatever underneath...

what are the black things on the wall, currently they look like 3d doodles, shapes with little relevance make them tell a story, what are they for are they vents? for what?

the offbeat/set panels are also slightly at odds, why are they such, is it damage, is there a pipe underneath that has expanded to push them out, are they damaged by knocking if so why are the scratches just the same as everywhere else

other than that as an environment its too polygonal you need some curves in it

ps the black bits will be fine, but make sure you pay attention to the specular in theres areas otherwise they will be dead space
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shepeiro, thanks for the crits and the advice.

What you said about recessing the grilled bits and adding underneath the floor is a great idea. Also when you mentioned parallex mapping, is this created via UDK's material editor? I will have a look online for tutorials on creating them to help with the floor.

What you said about the lights is very true, I did rush them. I will go back and spend more time on them.

The black things on the wall, a few people have asked their purpose. I havent got a clue what they are, in my 1st post I linked to 2 concepts by charles Lee that I used as a basis for the corridor. One of them had the black thing on the wall, 1 large one instead of 3 smaller. You mentioned that the shapes need to tell a story, this is something I put no thought into. But you are very right, and it is something that I will start doing right away.

Same with the offbeat panels, I did not think as to why they were like that. I will definitley go back and revise the wall.

I also agree, the scene is very polygonal. Perhaps by creating a corridor intersection near the centre, with curved like pillar pieces were the walls would connect? Also the right side of the corridor, that wall is a place holder, I will create another wall for that side, perhaps making it more curved could help the scene?

Yeah, I agree I need to pay close attention to the specular. This is actually the 1st time ive created a spec map, so any little tips for making it would be great.

Thanks again for that post, you have been very helpful with your advice.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! I agree with what Shepeiro said. Another thing I have to say is about the zigzagging pattern along the top of your walls. It may just be me, but it doesn't seem to fit right with the scene. They also seem crooked depending on the angle.

Keep up the good work!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    parrellexing doesnt just mean parrellex maps, it reffers to the effect of parrellex where two or more planes create the effect of depth and interest, think of later day 2d platform games where they would have several layers of 2d backdrop moving at different rates to give that impression.
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for explaining that shepeiro, I understand what you mean now.

Prophecies, Thanks. Yeah, that pattern along the top is crooked in parts, I wanted to model them slightly bent in places. But yeah, perhaps it doesnt suit. Im going to go back and remodel the wall with the advice that shepeiro gave, so I will change that pattern at the top also to try make it suit better. Thanks.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds good! While I like the idea of bent metal, it just doesn't fit here because there is no reason why the betal would be bent like that. The rest seems fine, but a few parts are repeatedly bent in the same exact same spots? Good to hear you're making progress keep it up! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool Idea. I am going to be making my own hallway thing too haha. I like the sci-fi concept it looks really good keep at it.