Ex "Max Payne" level designer, new IP, new studio, Unreal Engine 3, Xbox 360

martyhowe
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
martyhowe polycounter lvl 6
Figurehead Studios

Confidential new IP

Brief description
We’ve just completed 1 year of design, planning and pre-production on a 3rd person action game for the Xbox 360 entertainment system.

Compensation
Company shares\ownership, salary.

Technology
Unreal Engine 3 Technology, Xbox 360 development hardware and middleware.

Talent needed
We need more talented 3D artists, 2D artists, programmers, level designers, special effects artists, animators and character artists who have a mastery of Unreal Engine 3.

We have a distinctive art direction that is a departure from overly realistic and detailed aesthetics. We’re not replicating real life here, we’re creating a unique, stylized art direction with character and charm.

If you’re a student graduate or a mod maker in your own bedroom – we’re offering mentoring and a long term career if you have ability, work ethic and are truly motivated to create world class software entertainment.

As we are a start up, we are initially seeking candidates based in Melbourne, Australia only. Please don’t apply if this is not the case.

Team structure
Marty Howe – Director\Producer\Designer – Ex “Max Payne” level designer. 13 year industry veteran.

Additional core management staff with decades of local and international expertise and a motivated team of juniors and student graduates who are suited to further training.

Everybody is equal, no egos, no politics, no bullshit. The best idea wins. The only thing that matters is creating a core 'fun' end product.

Website
http://www.figureheadstudios.com.au

Contacts
jobs@figureheadstudios.com.au

Please send:
Cover letter
CV
Work samples

Previous Work by Team
Max Payne
Minority Report
Section 8
Killzone 2
Heroes over Europe
Stormrise
Ashes Cricket 2009

Replies

• popawheelie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    A warning to eager hopefuls trying to break into the industry. This guy is known for ripping off students work. Been doing it for years. Also, he is full of shit. Just a heads up.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    NICE, callin' it like it is popawheelie.

I dig that. Especially if you are right!
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    "everybody is equal, no ego, no politics, no bullshit"

Even communism needs leaders, what you've just posted is like communism, but without the slim chance of it working. programmers aren't designers aren't artists aren't producers and so on.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A warning to eager hopefuls trying to break into the industry. This guy is known for ripping off students work. Been doing it for years. Also, he is full of shit. Just a heads up.

thanks again, i definitely fall into his catagory and was going to apply gonna steer clear.

thanks

Wait a minute isnt this the guy who did the 100000 poly guy based of crisis character?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    nick2730 wrote: »
    thanks again, i definitely fall into his catagory and was going to apply gonna steer clear.

thanks

Although if he didn't bring a thread from 20 months ago to the front page you wouldn't've seen it ;)

Always good to let people know whats going on but this was dead.
  • Kookiemunster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popawheelie is correct. I have have had the pleasure of working with him at a games studio. He took my work and put his name on them and passed them off as his own to the boss. Its a good thing max crashed so much back then as I had over 50 incremental saves. (Ex “Max Payne” level designer. 13 year industry veteran) - Nobody has ever seen the work he did for Max Payne.

PEOPLE STAY CLEAR FROM THIS GUY.
  • FrontNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi community,

let me add to this old discussion, so that others could make their decision, when offered to work for Marty Howe "Figurehead Studios". Looks like this studio is hiring again and this is our email exchange we had today:

"On 7 September 2013 06:36, <marty@figureheadstudios.com.au> wrote:

Hi Nerijus, do you want to do
    some character concept art for my new video game? It's a 3rd person shooter
    for Xbox One.

If interested, get in touch via email. Thanks Nerijus.

-Marty

To: marty@figureheadstudios.com.au
    Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 7:36 PM
    Subject: Re: Hi Nerijus contact

Hi Marty,

thanks for your message.

I would be very interested.
    Let me know the details if available.
    We can chat on skype/facebook/hangouts etc. if you prefer.

Best regards,

Nerijus

Marty Howe
    12:00 (2 hours ago)

to me
    Hi Nerijus, thanks for writing.

I enclosed the art, as you can see I have 3 done, I just need 2 more.

UPF
    Viktor and brother

Nerijus, can you see how each artist recreates my art? Are you confident, you can follow my guidelines and instructions, and deliver something amazing? Maybe you could do some initial sketches, to show me your style. If it works out, would you be interested in moving to Australia as a concept artist?

Thanks Nerijus, we can chat in more detail on Skype.

-Marty

Nerijus <ncinbox@gmail.com>
    13:29

to Marty
    Marty,

I apologize, but I will have to refuse even such a minor thing a sketching for your project.
    Please do not get me wrong, I only base my decision on your studio's reputation on the web, which in most cases is not good.

Thanks once again for contacting me.

Have a nice evening,

Nerijus

Marty Howe
    13:42

to me
    haha. you're too crap to do the characters, aren't you? You dont have a clue what to draw.

We will ask someone else, instead of you. Someone who can actually do the art, and not run away.

Dont waste my time by saying "
    I would be very interested.
    Let me know the details if available"

ok? you fucking idiot.

-Marty
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow, so professinal... lol
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    lol this guy should be black listed
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    How is asking for details wasting somebody's time? Surely you need to know what is being asked of you before taking on the project? Definitely black list this guy XD
  • Tejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Black list Marty Howe and figure head studio. I worked in a studio that fired him awhile back. No one in the whole studio had anything nice to say about the guy and all warned me to stay well away from him and his studio. I've also heard multiple accounts of where this guy was insulting people following up with his jobs.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    What a load of shit.
  • Bravo81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bravo81 polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry to dig up such an old post but it seems Marty is still looking for help building this now 6-year-old project.
    He approached me via email this morning looking for a publisher, here's a copy of the last email I sent and his childish reply:

I can't thank you all enough for the heads up, as he was looking for £12,000 to get the project finished and I'm pretty sure it would have been £12K that we lost as a company if I'd had of invested.

At this stage I'd imagine Marty is in his 30's, yet still hasn't lot his childish attitude.
    'You run a company from your house' - yes I do Marty, but we still have reached over 2 million players in just 1 year. :)

Avoid him at all costs.