Ok so its been a while since I have updated this thread.
I have kind of taken a step back from the back-street environment and trying to focus on a handful of textures and props to see how I can better improve my modelling,texturing,normal mapping, etc.
Iv been trying some different stuff out. Playing with UDK material editor, breaking apart UT3 maps and putting them back together again to see how they function. Observing, making notes, etc.
Now this work isn't mind-blowing or anything, but there are bits and pieces from which I have learnt some new tricks. There are some details that could be pushed further but this is what I have so far.
The pipes diffuse map
Its worth mentioning that I mapped this with the intention that the elements could be scaled and moved around to create different variations, so I gave objects like the valve a little more uv space so they could be scaled up. I think there is plenty more room for detail.
On to some WIP stuff.
A trouble I have is that alot of these objects have separate diffuse maps. I really need to become more efficient, planning better uv layouts and building objects that can share the same map. So I dug through alot of the packages in the UT3 editor to get a taste for how their static meshes and uv maps are laid out.
I then sketched out a selection of objects that I might want. They consist of building chunks, pillars, walls, trim, etc and then some smaller details like vents and wooden planks I can lay over for variation.
These are by no means all the objects but its a start.
Here is some WIP mudbox shots of pillar variations.
And a mock up of how they could be used:
these are optimized/poly crunched versions just as a demo so look a little nasty.
Those more familiar with UT3 may recognised the set-up. I don't want to copy/recreate/ them, but study them and learn from them the best I can.
EDIT: In hindsight they are pretty similar to the models from UT3, i'll probably work to change that.