Home Technical Talk

Post one thing your favorite 3d app does well.

Tech Talk is often a pretty negative place, always discussing problems, errors, and what people do not like about certain applications. Every once in a while solutions to problems here will bring a really cool feature in a certain app to light that others may not have known about, so lets try and bring that same mentality to this thread.

Rules:
1. Post ONE thing about your favorite app that you feel it does well, per day.
2. Do not tell us how this is done some much better in app X than app Y, simply explain the feature based on its own merits.

I will start!

In Modo, many of the standard tools for deformation(move, rotate, skew, tweak, twist, bend, smooth, etc) all function the same in the 3d/orthographic views as they do in the uv editor.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    3d studio max

shift drag to extrude edges. It makes the process of prototyping very quick and easy and it feels real nice too, it feels fluid.

XSI

I enjoy the supra feature. The supra mode allows you to activate any tool at any time, and makes the the process of 3d modeling feel very fluid and smooth.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some people slate it but I like the 3ds max modifier stack, non-destructive workflows are always welcome.

A nice feature in 3dsmax I use loads is the modifier sets, I know a few people who didn't know it existed so just putting it here in case someone else didn't realise it was there. It's the button on the most right underneath the modifier stack window :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In modo i like that most tools work on a context sensitive basis, so weather you are in vert, edge or poly mode, you use the same tool, you can also cycle through the modes with the space bar.

For example the shortcut for bevel is the same, either you are in polygon mode, or edge mode. or whatever.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Max: MODIFIERS! I couldn't model without them. I can easily revert back to my base mesh at any point.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    ZBrush: drag-drop UI customization per button/slider.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Max: Material Editor...I know many hate it and are wishing for a Node Based Editor (which comes with 2011), but I like the current one...
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The modeling process in Maya. I have all my commands assigned to hotkeys and shelf commands, and its all committed to memory. When I'm modeling a mesh I don't even have to think about anything, I just switch between tools with muscle memory and its a very fast and fluid process that isn't slowed down by having to open a menu.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    The modeling process in Maya. I have all my commands assigned to hotkeys and shelf commands, and its all committed to memory. When I'm modeling a mesh I don't even have to think about anything, I just switch between tools with muscle memory and its a very fast and fluid process that isn't slowed down by having to open a menu.

this + context sensitive gesture based menu's which I can access in milliseconds (really helps when Uv'ing as well most), also prefer the UV'ing in maya than max.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Mouse customization in Silo. My entire workflow is bound to the mouse and a few modifier keys.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    While Lightwave is far from my favourite application, one of the (few) things I really liked about it was how you could have multiple separate objects open in separate tabs. Only one copy of LW running, but you could have 10 separate LWO files open and editable at a time, really great for copying and pasting mesh pieces around without "polluting" a scene with importing/exporting or loading/unloading scenes all the time.

Does Modo have this functionality?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    MoP that sounds awesome.

Don't hate on me modo guys, but the two modo things listed (UV controls being the same, context sensitive commands) are features I love in Silo. My one thing, since James already said customization, which is the best, would be element selection.

Selecting loops and rings happens in milliseconds.
    • doubleclick an edge selects its loop
    • select one edge, shift+doubleclick one down the line selects edges in that segment
    • same for rings: select one, alt+R (default) and you have the ring
    • select two distant edges in the same ring, alt+R selects within that span
    • keyboard shortcut for select loop also, just to mix it up sometimes
    • everything works on faces exactly the same
    • double-clicking single face expands selection (has shortcut for use over multiple selections)
    • which means in UVs, double-clicking an island face expands to select the whole island
    It's intuitive! Converting selection to another element is instantaneous as well (no need to dig through panes or open menus or whatever) and I can't live without the basic paint style selection for welding vertices or smoothing random groups of faces, etc.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    XSI: GATOR (assuming this includes the Merge/Transfer Attributes features found while Merging meshes). I can't count the times I've had to go back and make changes to models that were already unwrapped/weighted to a rig. This feature always makes it a breeze.

ZBrush: I've not really dived too deep into its features, but does its preformance count? I don't have the best laptop, but I'm still able to work with large amounts of verts.

MotionBuilder: Another program I haven't used a lot, but it seemed to do a great job transfering animations in a mixed pipeline.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Maya : Mel Script will allow me to create all tools I want.

X normal : Cavity Map from Normal :)

Photoshop CS4 :Rotating mode from R hotkey O_O!!!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    While Lightwave is far from my favourite application, one of the (few) things I really liked about it was how you could have multiple separate objects open in separate tabs. Only one copy of LW running, but you could have 10 separate LWO files open and editable at a time, really great for copying and pasting mesh pieces around without "polluting" a scene with importing/exporting or loading/unloading scenes all the time.

It sure does MoP!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    the uv relax tool in max is awesome and does almost always exactly what i want it to do
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Peris wrote: »
    the uv relax tool in max is awesome and does almost always exactly what i want it to do

This is the one I was going to say....I also like max's viewport navigation controls, maybe it's just cuz I'm used to it, but I prefer them over any other app I've used.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    3ds Max- I love the modeling tools.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maya -> slice polygon and insert edge loop ^^ also Selection options
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Maya hot boxes. it's like magic. Oh and the material editor nodes. I like visual stuff when it comes to setting up things. I think that's why I learned UE3 so quickly.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Blender - availability. While I use Blender because I like its modeling tools and not because of its price tag (I do, in fact, have a legal copy of Maya that never gets used), it's very handy that I can freely download a 10MB file and have a complete modeling package. No messing around with yearly updates, subscriptions and customer service. Instead, whenever someone integrates something fancy I can have it installed on my computer ten minutes later.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Max 2010's/Polyboost's swiftloop. I've got it bound to Shift-V, and I just rough out something, click click click, all done.

I like flow-connect, too, which inserts an edge-loop that attempts to maintain the curvature of the mesh. It isn't perfect, it won't divide a cylinder perfectly (but close!) and has issues around cut-in lines, etc, but its totally awesome a lot of the time, doing something that would manually require a lot of vert tweaking.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Rhino3D: It was the program I taught myself 3D in, and while it's not the best workflow for games, it's booleans are second to none. Being able to scuplt at will with positive and negative volumes, in 1998, was awesome. I bet it's only improved since then.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Blender: The selection system

• Alt+Right Click selects a loop/ring.
    • B=Box Select.(3d and UV)
    • B then Shift=Additive box selection.
    • B then Alt+Shift=Subtractive box selection.
    • BB=Additive Selection Brush. (awesome)
    • BB then Alt=Subtractive Selection Brush.
    • Shift Clicking the vert, edge and face icons allows you to select any combo. of Verts/Edges/Faces.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    this + context sensitive gesture based menu's which I can access in milliseconds (really helps when Uv'ing as well most), also prefer the UV'ing in maya than max.

I love being able to model with gestures, more apps in general should do this. It's like touch typing, you wonder how you ever did it the other way once you learn it. :)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    max does crashes very well. but then i guess that's not what this thread is about :D

i love splines and that you can trim and boolean them so easily.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Maya
    -echoAllCommands 1
    +
    TextPad
    search them results ( Maya internal Scripts ) with "Find in files" "search subfolders".

= Maya's real Reference Guide.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Max: Modifiers and Shift drag and Shift Click duplicate. Real time materials

Maya, UV work flow. So smooth to edit the mesh and then edit the UVW
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    How do you guys setup gestures in Maya?
  • greuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greuh polycounter lvl 15
    they are talking about marking menus
    and yes it's that awesome once you get into the flow of it.
    ceebee wrote: »
    How do you guys setup gestures in Maya?
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    The skin modifier in max is amazingly robust. I can throw an edit-poly or even a MultiRes modifier on top of a skinned model, drag it down below the skin modifier after making edits, and the skinning remains perfect.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsMax - Autoback

saved my ass many times :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Max - Quad menus. I have mine totally customized, so nearly everything I use is either there or hotkeyed. I keep the command panel up because it shows the modifier stack and current sub-object level, but aside from that I hardly ever actually have to click over there.

Photoshop - I really like the color floater with the HSB sliders. I know a lot of people like the HSB box better, but I strongly prefer the sliders. It always makes me happy when programs include that option in their color picker.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    XSI's overall UI, I really enjoy working in everything from the material manager, view port, hotkeys, etc etc, it just makes maya feel messy and dated.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    max - autoback, shift+drag edges, and fucking maxscript - If you don't like the fact that max doesn't do something, you can pretty much make it do it yourself
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    MyPaint: I really like the "save as scrap" F2 command. With it I can just draw and not mess with naming it something other than Untitled-1; it's just a one-button "hey I kind of like this, toss it somewhere for me" thing.

I wonder if the same is possible to script in Photoshop?
    fly_soup wrote: »
    Photoshop - I really like the color floater with the HSB sliders. I know a lot of people like the HSB box better, but I strongly prefer the sliders. It always makes me happy when programs include that option in their color picker.
    ftw!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    i like the way zbrush is evolving. idk if that counts as one thing tho.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    One thing...

Modo: the Sculpt tools for modelling (not for sculpting), i use them for all :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Man, only one?:poly122:

After using Max a lot lately I've gained a new appreciation for a lot of aspects Maya, and inversely, features in Max.

Maya:
    Definitely the marking menus. Fast, efficient and endlessly expandable. They make it so that you don't have to have a billion customized alt+shift+ctrl hotkeys or an extremely long shelf.

Max:
    The specific tools for the job and upfront nature of the program. Everything you need is there for you, obvious, and waiting to be used. It makes learning and using it a pleasure.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Lightwave - Just making purdy renders fast. Also Ultra precise with numeric inputs, where Maya rounds off to the nearest thousandth.
    Maya - Everything else and scripting.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    1. 3dsMax:
      Build in scripting environment i.e no need to install anything additional (like previous blender releases). This includes a maxscript listener that can trace most of the commands you perform in 3dsmax and a visual roll out editor to quickly wrap up a gui for your script to test.

2. Modo
      Great community that is willing to share, push and contribute like vertex monkey for modo scripts. One of the better communities for a commercial application.

3. HeadusUVlayout:
      Speed Speed Speed and the whole ideas in the app

4. Silo:
      Sliding keys or how they are called. Those shortcuts you can hold on your keyboard to adjust the tool and release the button once satisfied. Or if you are old school or need default values just release the shortcut at once.

5. Rhino3D
      Perfect blend of command type in ans mouse control construction. As soon as you need more control of a tool i.e rectangle tool and you want to have rounded corners you simply change the command in the command line. Even without scripting experience its extremely easy to adopt and understand.

6. And slightly off topic:
      Windows
      win + r (run command shortcut) is my every minute favorite shortcut. I use it to launch all apps like PS or 3dsmax (just drop a shortcut to the app in your windows\system32 folder to start for example Photoshop with just 'ps' followed by a enter.
      Its also extremely powerful to evaluate folder paths to copy them to your clipboard and then for example jump instantly within a application like Photoshop (in save or open dialog) to that directory by pasting it and hit enter.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Blender: the uvmapping tools, just never fails me, and flows like nothing else.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Blender: Numpad Hotkeys.
    • 1, 3, 7, 0= Front, Side, Top and Camera.
    • 2, 4, 6, 8= Pans Down, Left, Right and Up.
    • 5 switches between Perspective and Orthographic in the current view.
    • / Switches to Orthographic (Local)
    • Ctrl+0 Switches Camera View to a new selected Camera.
    • +/- Zooms in and out.
    • Ctrl+ +/- increases or decreases current selection.
    • . Zooms to selection.

I love these so much, i find my self using them accidentally in other programs ^^
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Its also extremely powerful to evaluate folder paths to copy them to your clipboard and then for example jump instantly within a application like Photoshop (in save or open dialog) to that directory by pasting it and hit enter.
    Wait, i'm not sure i get what you mean, but it sounds hella useful. explain in more depth?
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I don't advocate using C4d and don't enjoy it at all - but it also has the multi window functionality that Modo and Lightwave have. It makes copying different objects from different files SO easy. it made it great to model a bunch of different things then combine them into a single scene. Pure awesome.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Photoshop : Action tool : with a cool workflow, from a Psd file will save diffuse or specular to the right channel on a TGA file or elese with one click ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »

Yes Modo works in much the same way. Easy to have a few files open and copy bits and pieces between them.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15

MODO has really nice snapping, It makes precise alignments a piece of cake.

MAX: I like the edge creasing and being able to adjust vertex weights prior to export to zbrush - nice way to define your basemeshes better early on.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3ds max:

Splines!

- normalize spline modifier which redistributes knots evenly along the length of a spline. This is so handly for so many things its brilliant.
    - Array tool and Spacing tool. I uses these a lot and coupled with the above modifier its a quick way of distributing items along a spline evenly.
    - Path deform!

I bundled all those together as they are part of a typical workflow.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAX: Vertex snapping. Just enabling 3d snap by hitting "S", and dragging a sub-object selection based on a vertex of my own choosing to quickly align it to any other vertex in the scene kicks ass. This is where I muster extreme restraint and avoid comparisons to Maya.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    ZBrush: beeing able to assign a hotkey to every button in the application with CTRL + hotkey. I wish it would work like that in every app.