Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dr Grordbort Infallible Aether Oscilator - FMOM Wave Disrupter

spider2544
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
spider2544 polycounter lvl 11
I saw a collectible prop on Weta's website and decided to have a crack at it for a game model... since I don't want to drop $700 to buy the prop I figured might as well make my own haha.

http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php?itemid=19&catid=4

FMOM_WaveDisrupter_Refrence.jpg

Here's the high poly i have for it so far. i thought i was done, but i noticed i missed one small part on the right side of the gun

FMOM_WaveDisrupter_HighPoly.jpg

I'm nearly done with the low poly should have it ready to show by tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think or if i screwed up on anything

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    These things are really cool, If it wasn't for the price I'd be tempted to get one too! So great choice of subject.

I don't see anything wrong with your HP, but i wanna see you texture this, should prove interesting.

(btw too bad the coolest one, that blunderbuss type thing, is $7000...)
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the low poly

the poly count is a bit higher than i would have liked, but i think i optimized it down to around as low as it will go

its currently at 13.5k tris so a bit higher than unreal tournament 3 was doing

FMOM_WaveDisrupter_LowPoly.jpg

if you guys see any waste or places to improve let me know.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Nice, I have a buddy who is planning on doing another weta gun, it's a great source for reference.

On the low poly the main rounded segment and the bulb parts seem like they might be a little dense. I think you could go in and collapse every other vertical edge (especially near the focal points and you wouldn't notice much difference in the silhouette. I think you could do a good deal of collapsing edges on a lot of the rounded parts, especially the tube under the barrel because that would be hard to see from a fps view. Since it is a portfolio piece its gotta look great from the perspective too, but I think it is still a bit dense. You'll rarely see it from the straight on view, so that part of the silhouette isn't as important.

Any place where the geometry is coming to a focal point you should be collapsing edges so that the density remains the same.

Also, those washer type things you have around the capsule and the sphere could be baked into the low poly and shouldn't need geometry.

I think realistically you could get it down to 10k. A lot of places where the geometry is so dense you can't see lines on the thin parts could be reduced as well.

Branching out from characters huh? :)
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow that is coool, my teacher in my careers in the game industry class, just gave me that to model, You have a lot of nice details going on.
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul - thanks dude glad you like it i totally want that blunder buster too haha. textures on the way soon.

@PredatorGSR - thanks for the tips dude ill puts around with some of the edges a bit more to experiment with the best solution and poly count. and thanks for the help with the beveled edges issue.

@tehrobster2 - its a pretty fun model to make ill keep an eye out for a post of your wip version hehe if you need help let me know.

I was having some major problems with baking my high poly to low poly along the smoothed edges.
    WtfMate-1.jpg

As you can see the low poly is missing enough edges to match the shape of the high poly, as a result I'm getting missed areas on my normal map bake... which sucks. its pretty much impossible to get a good bake with beveled edges from my high poly to my low, and i needed a solution.

I couldn't find any documentation on this problem anywhere and i had to ask my buddy Konrad to help me solve the problem. Konrad's solution is beautiful in its simplicity. simply take your low poly, and bevel the high hell out of the edge that you want to look beveled and smoothed in your low poly. then use this beveled low poly, for your baking mesh on the edges you need smooth. problem solved.

WtfMateFIXXEDdd.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    its baking correctly, your just asking it to do something it cannot. Your last example is the correct way to get a good bake. Subd'ing everything is a fun way to show off a highpoly but for bakes, its not necessary, and sometimes hurtful. just simple bevels and proper smoothing groups is all you need. its a seemingly dirty secret that doesnt get passed around. sorry you had to learn the hard way.
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you could have just added more geo to your low.....

I know you like to save as many tris as possible, but efficiency is often more important. Plus, adding a few more sides isn't going to hurt that much.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    Or you could have just added more geo to your low.....

I know you like to save as many tris as possible, but efficiency is often more important. Plus, adding a few more sides isn't going to hurt that much.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill.

I dunno dude, thats a lot of cylinders to be making have 16-20 sides, and thats the number it would take to reduce that issue until it wasn't very noticable.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2544:

With baking from high to low, and avoiding the crappy edges you get, this is what I do:

Add more geometry to the low poly. I'm not sure how to do it in Maya, but in 3dsMax Id just use the Meshsmooth modifier, so it will interpolate between edges and smooth that round area out, but doesn't mess up the UV's.

Then bake your high to your low poly (with added geometry). Once you have your normals, the area with the error that you pointed out in your bake will be less noticable, because the map was baked to a more rounded area, so the UV's were rounder as well.

Then just remove the extra edges from the lowpoly and it should produce a better result.

This typicaly works well with cylindrical shaped objects.
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the chance to work on the base texture the past couple of days and finish up the UV.

here's the base texture, i of course have to add in the details, and surface detail kinda stuff right now its sort of just where i want to head in regards to color. still gotta add in stuff like rust, and scratches and high frequency noise and of course the spec map.
    FMOMBase.jpg

Here's how the Normal map bake turned out. i wanted to make sure it was nearly impossible to tell the difference between the high and low poly models.
    FMOMBake.jpg
    low is in the front, high is in the back.

@stimpack - yea i figgured that out after the first time baking. thats when i realized "... hey I've got a real problem here i need help" haha and ran to my buddy haha. its such a good dirty secret, that i think most artists don't want to share it and keep it to themselves far to often.

@Rang3r1 - that was my first thought to the problem. i wanted to add in more edge loops to the model while keeping the same UV then do a bake, after matching the new poly count to the high... that would take FOREVER and wouldnt' be a practical method in production so i needed a better solution. this one works WAYYyy faster and gets the exact results for minimal effort.

@PredatorGSR - agreed dude thats why your method is da bomb haha.

@gsokol - this was my second solution to the problem, i actually tried something really similar using Zbrush and import crease, it worked, but still gave a lot of errors in the normal map, and wasn't up the the standards i wanted to keep. the method I'm currently using gives FLAWLESS normal map bakes there is no distortion what soever, and it is perfectly seamless. i highly recommend using it as its much faster in production as well since you really don't need to make a high poly model you just have to do a beveled one.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    this is gunna turn out good
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The bake looks really nice and clean, how about a FPS view?
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a sort of update.

i have the color map basically done still need to tweak a few things then patch up the seams i was gonna show what it looked like with the shaders and stuff, but that doesn't make sense cause the spec maps not done and everything feels kinda dumb without a proper spec map.

(This image is just a flat color so you can see the texture clearly no shader shadows or anything like that)
    FMOMColorPreview.jpg

let me know if you guys see something that looks wrong or stupid and ill fix it.

should have the spec finished by tomorrow. i think I'm going to redo the whole area where the glass with blue liquid is, I've been avoiding it this whole time because i couldn't figure out how to do it i have a good idea now though that should work out nicely.

@Harry - haha don't jinx me man lol there's still plenty of ways for me to screw this up lol

@ZacD - yea i can do one of those when im all done with the model, though i gotta tell you the gun looks a little weird in fps view haha.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i'd probably be texturing it with the spec/gloss on so i could get them all interacting just right. but idk everyone has their own workflows
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Your gun looks totally awesome so far, great job. Even better job on sharing that secret with baking... you have no idea how many times that's pissed me off and I've just ended up painting out the normals, and yet your solution (or your friends) IS SO SIMPLE! thanks :D
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    This is coming together very nicely! Makes me want to do one :D
    Thanks for talking about your bevel trick there- I heard about beveling improving a bake- but never realized that people might bevel JUST to get the bake- and then unbevel afterwards- this might help me with some issues I'm having.
    Smoothing groups seems to have a ton of conflicting information. It seems there are people that swear by using different groups for baking and some that say you should only use 1 across the whole model. Hard to tell who's right- people that defend their way are pretty strong about their opinion
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Real nice prop so far, it's really smooth and indistinguishable from the highpoly for the most part. The most obvious part is the trigger area, it looks like it has less sides then the round thing+tubes just above it. Just a few cuts here would really improve the model a lot.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13

I couldn't find any documentation on this problem anywhere ...

I have a tutorial on my website on how you can deal with low poly cylindrical/spherical shapes in my 3d section under tutorials www.custom-airbrsuh.com

Also located on the polycount normalmap wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#head-4c2a8da7b1205e71566df74be43b73b02def61ff

Alternatively you don't even have to bevel edges like that, you can simply add more loops using connect since all you need is more normal information...i use this technique all the time, quick and easy
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty spec maps done, color maps done and i got this thing basically the way i want it now.

FMOMColorNearFinal.jpg

I've got a couple bits and pieces that need some tune ups like the seam on the handle and a couple other areas i think could be punched up but unless you guys see anything that needs a tune up, or that i screwed up on this things next post will be in the finished work section.

do you guys have any recommendations for how to do things like presentations? I'm really bad at doing like cool show off presentations for my work, cause i always just show the model on a plain background and i want to get out of doing that.

@Harry - yea totally i did that for a bit, but i tend to turn it off a lot so i can clearly see what its looking like. a lot of the times ill just drop the color map into the spec channel to have sort of a hacked version hehe. bt for just showing it while its still wip i think its a bad idea to show a hacked map haha. don't want people critiquing something that hasn't even been made properly yet.

@vcortis - haha glad you dig it dude, that problem has bothered me for a while too, tell all your friends how easy it is to fix it.

@OrganizedChaos - yea dude using the beveled model as your new high poly helps SOOooo much. i basically did 2 bakes for the model, one from the high poly, and one from the bevel. then i just erased away the errors of the high poly to reveal the low.... and bingo bango perfect bake with 0 errors.
    for smoothing groups on hard surface models it will not work properly unless at every hard edge, you have a new UV island. if you try to bake a hard surface prop with all smooth normals, it doesn't work you'll get a lot of errors and poorly shaded normals, because the normals will interpolate a lot of the data and leave you with big gradients going across your bake... which is a big error. using the bevel trick as a solution to paint out errors so far is the most effective, clean and fast method I've come across i say stick with that one.

@Snader - I'm not quite sure which area your talking about do you mean the trigger guard or the trigger itself?

@airbrush - i think your confused with what the problem the bake was actually having. this wasn't an issue of distortion on a rounded surface where it gets the wavy lines in the bake. its an issue of the normal thats being cast completely missing the surface, and it being geometrically impossible to match one shape to the other in order to get an accurate bake. its literally attempting to make a square peg fit into a round hole. The only real production worthy solution I've ever seen to this issue was the one that Konrad taught me which as far as i know is undocumented anywhere. the solution your tutorial focuses on is a different one all together. adding more loops to the mesh wouldn't solve the issue as it would be impossible(or EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming) to accurately match the low poly edges to the high poly as accurately as the bevel technique does.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job dude. Probably the best way to show it off for a game portfolio would be in Marmoset which you've already done, just bump up the lighting.

I kinda feel like the model isn't hitting hard enough, it kinda feels dull. To be fair, thats how the original reference looks too, but that doesn't mean you can't improve on it. I think the biggest thing is the spec map, you should punch it up a bunch so that some areas are almost being blown out. Basically think of it like taking the levels and compressing them in the screenshot to get greater contrast with the lights and darks. I think having more variation in the spec map would help this a lot, so that the whole model doesn't get blown out, just tiny parts.

The silver parts of the model stick out as especially weak to me, I think improving the spec would take care of it for the most part though. You could probably experiment with making the diffuse color somewhat dark, and blowing out the spec to get the silver metallic look

I think you could improve the rusty areas as well by making the metal more pitted, add the rust texture into the normal map, keep it subtle, but more than what you have. Adding more pitting would give it a more heavy iron feel.

I'm repeating myself now, but I think the main thing that it is lacking is contrast, add in some darker grime in the recesses, add brighter specular highlights on the exposed edges, and bump up the spec and make it more splotchy to get that contrast and depth.

Adding some small lettering into the normal map might be cool, manufacturer, weapon name, stuff like that.

Did you use colored spec? Introducing a hint of red to the rusty areas in the spec map might help some.
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok folks here's the final version of my model and texture.

FMOMColorFinal.jpg

and here's the flat texture cause a lot of people have requested to see it.
    FMOM_WaveDisrupter_Color.jpg

@PredatorGSR - thanks for the crit again dude youve been a second set of eyes for me the whole time hehe.

Thanks for all the support everybody
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Great end result - This almost looks more like a small environment than a prop!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    sicksicksicksicksick
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Sexy time!!! This is awesome! :)