Home General Discussion

The degree poll!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
because this comes up a lot, I figure it'd be nice to have some numbers and figures to through around even if they are rough.

"Yes and I'm working in videos games or CG, BUT I didn't get a job right after school"

This option if for people that went to school for game design or whatever, and they don't really credit their school for getting them a job, but instead taught themselves for a little while before landing a job... if that makes since.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    4 year traditional art degree with emphasis in computer art from state university. no game/cg job.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    self taught, learned mostly in highschool and then just practiced for a couple years before i got hired. ive had lots of great learning opportunities and im really grateful for all of them.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    1 year diploma only with lots of years of practice and freelancing I finally got a full time job 4 years ago :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Some school, lots of self education - Been working since 2005 for art, started with QA in 2004.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    BA in Game Art & Design and landed a position as an Environment Artist before I graduated. It helped me a lot and I think it was worth it. Everyone needs direction and I needed it when I first developed interest in the industry.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Working in CG (albeit between contracts at present) without a degree. I do have a diploma from a 2 year games dev course and 2 years of 3 year multimedia degree though. If I don't wind up with work soon, I'm considering going back to finish off the degree so I can get a work visa, immigrate and come take yer jerbs.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I have two diplomas, one in graphic design, one in game design/art.

I worked as a freelance designer all the way through uni, and still do. I do take simulation art, game art and some music contracts, also.

I went for the second poll option. Seemed to fit me the best.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well the poll results pretty much says what we've been saying all along. You don't need a degree and getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a job.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    > Yes and I'm working in videos games or CG, BUT I didn't get a job right after school

not sure how this is relevant to the poll though. But yeah this happened to me because I moved back to Europe....guess this applies to everyone who puts "Freelance" into their resume right after college ;)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    This option if for people that went to school for game design or whatever, and they don't really credit their school for getting them a job, but instead taught themselves for a little while before landing a job... if that makes since.

You shouldn't of explained this choice, especially like this. I woulda ticked that option without your explanation, but now I don't want to because my uni does deserve credit.
    Also by including this option, it makes it look like the top option implies that you got a job right after school.

Need a "Yes and I'm working in videos games or CG, BUT I didn't get a job right after school, BUT I wouldn't of had this career if I didn't go to uni" :p
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Yes, but I didn't graduate as I quit uni because I got a job from my self-taught skills."
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    technically i've got 2 degrees, one in English and one in Visual Arts - which was a bit of absolutely everything, including CG circa 95-98, split 50/50 between practical and theory/history. There was no intention of getting into cg or games after that, it just sorta happened.

Back in 2000, i genuinely think the varied degree helped me to get my first job for a "proper" studio, cos the art director was/is a RIGHT ponce and is turned on by that sort of thing.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    got a gig working on super nintendo games back in the day so didn't bother with Uni and became a web designer for some reason. Working in the games industry has been on-off thing for me, but now running the show and happy.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    been thinking about this "they don't really credit their school for getting them a job". I mean isn't the whole "my school will get me a job" thing very very naive to begin with?

Even if you went, let's say VFS, you still need to make a good reel, show a good personality, get past the interviews, etc. A school can maybe get you in touch with some places, but it's still all about YOU (your art, your personality, your experience) and not your school as to which you can give credit for getting a job.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    no education, working with games, but many days I do feel like a proper art and design education would help.

It wont get you a job, but it will help you become a better artist.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great Idea,ZacD!
    My option was "No and I'm working in videos games or CG".I'v been studying by my myself, while in school for a coupleof yers. Then I did one year at UNI studying interntaional affairs and international economy just not to be taken to the army. And to study a bit more. And after a year I dumped it and got myself a job.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    BFA bitches!

..... still no gig
    :poly103:
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Bachelor of Fine Arts, no game job (yet) but I'm immensely thankful for the fine art education, especially drawing & sculpture. If considering college for cg, take lots of drawing and sculpture, in my opinion.

The other thing that I really learned from college was how to receive and give helpful, constructive criticism.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No degree, some art classes here and there. At the time I was looking at higher education, 1995-1997 everyone had a hard-on for web design and the tech/web bubble was about to burst, no one was teaching games except a few very techy schools that had waiting lists 8 miles long.

So I took art classes and worked on mods.

I've been working for:
    3 years (next month) as an animator
    1 year as an env artist
    5 years IT/tech support/QA

You'll need drive, passion and skill regardless of which ever path you take.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Well the poll results pretty much says what we've been saying all along. You don't need a degree and getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a job.
    Did you really need this poll to confirm that? This goes for just about everything in LIFE! Are you looking for an excuse not to go to school, or to justify you not having a degree or something?

Im a bachelor of Multimedia Design and got a job in the industry. My degree didnt get me a job, everything I learned while I was getting my degree did! ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This.

My feeling is it's 90% the determination and talent of the artist that gets them a games job. Schooling only helps you shape what's there already.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design from an accredited University. My minors were in Business Management, and Theatre. I do not have a job in the game industry, or in CGI. I am currently employed as a web developer, performing QA on websites and repairing issues with code.

Oddly enough, I had almost no training in web design and development when I was in college. But then, I also had almost no training in 3D modeling and CGI. And of course, I had no training in coding. (yet that is my primary job function at the moment)

I would still recommend college, I just wouldn't recommend an expensive game-specific college. I attended a liberal arts college, and I learned a great deal about a wide array of subjects. Even though most of it was not directly applicable to game development, all of it was interesting, and potentially useful. Uber-priced degrees focused on narrow subjects aren't worth the cost. A more generalized degree for a reasonable price, with ample opportunities for scholarships...that's the way to go.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    BFA as well majored in Computer Animation.

Although, I got my job through a referral from Vassago here at Polycount. So networking fer teh win. I don't credit my school for getting me my job at all though. They gave me the most basic of tools and I had to learn most of it on my own at Polycount U.

School loans should be paid off in a couple months and I can look forward to having that beast off my back.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I got offered some freelance work out of highschool but I said "sorry I need to get mah degree first!" WOOPS!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I have a degree but it's not games/cg/art related - let's call it a massive U-turn in my perspective when I was younger.

And I work in the games industry for a good few years now, so I'm with EricChadwick. If you can do it and you really want to do it and you keep trying to do it, you might just do it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wut is collige
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I've racked up $92,000 in tuition debt and don't have a job. Hooray!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    BA in International Relations with a focus on latin american relations.

I later did a 9 month 3d certificate program.

I am currently an art lead with a predominant focus on environments. Been working in games nearly ten years.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    minor degree as a web programmer with a special in 3d arts and I just landed my first internship in a offline cg company for the next 3 years :)
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BA in computer science. Currently in a position that is starting to receive funding, and have a job offer as well.

Was the degree worth the $75 grand? Hell no, but did learn quite a bit. As for the job offer I have now, that is thanks to a very dedicated teacher and the help of his networking.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have a BA in Computer Arts, but was freelancing already and worked in-house at a studio for a while, during the degree so it clearly wasn't needed for the job.

I left the course a year early (forfeited the "BA Hons" for the plain "BA"... didn't want to spend the time/money on it), and went straight into work in games.

Contacts and lots of practice were more useful to me when getting a job than my degree was. That said, if I ever wanted to work abroad (Canada or USA especially) then the degree will probably help a lot!
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I applied for college but didn't get in...

Ironically, right after I got declined, I got a job as character artist :)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I got one of those fake BA's in Game Art from the Art Institute of San Diego. Landed my first job a month before graduation. Been working in games for 3 years now with one shipped title.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    hawken wrote: »
    got a gig working on super nintendo games

...how...old are you???? :D
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't see an option that fit me in the poll. I'm graduating next May with a degree in Visual Communication Arts: Graphic Design, but I'm also currently working full-time doing architectural visualization. I plan to go for a game art job after I graduate. I'm kind of all over the place... :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I got my degree when the economy tanked and all the studio closures started happening. Yaaaaaaaaay /wrist.

Honestly though, I kinda got a gig going now for an Iphone game after working with some interesting people at the GGJ, but we'll see where that leads me.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Have an associates degree for Animation Art and Design. Right after school got a job offer to do flash stuff, turned it down and a few weeks later got a job doing 3d visualization stuff, renders of laptops and stuff for Dell. Was there for a short period of time when the company I'm at now came calling. It's a software company that does military simulations software (serious games) as their main bread and butter as well as arcade and home theater games.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I have yet to finish my degree in Simulation Programming....Wait WTF am I doing here then? 3d is WAY cooler than coding!
  • Bloodyghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In High School...yep proud to say that I am most likely the youngest kid here and right now all self taught while being a novice at Motionbuilder, Softimage, Maya, 3ds max, Mudbox, and Sketchbook to name a few.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    BA in graphic design/multimedia. I used to apply for art-related jobs but it never panned out. I apply for fast food, janitorial, and retail now. It still hasn't panned out. The moral of the story is blah blah blah I suck at life boo hoo.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3DLee wrote: »
    I didn't see an option that fit me in the poll. I'm graduating next May with a degree in Visual Communication Arts: Graphic Design, but I'm also currently working full-time doing architectural visualization. I plan to go for a game art job after I graduate. I'm kind of all over the place... :)

well if you got the job without the degree I figure "No and I'm working in videos games or CG" would be the most accurate.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yes but I don't have a video game or CG related job...................YET!
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I have graduated in 2008 with a BFA from DigiPen, was working at Sony as contract a week after graduation, and now work at DigiPen for CG stuffs.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An Art Institute of Dallas dropout and proud of it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    wut is collige

Its a place where you go pay shtload of money to learn whatever you are able to learn on your own.....*blink blink*

Seriously now. My thoughts with 2 cents here:

I have been getting calls from VFS and AOD for sometime now. Although; their offerings of 3d animation and game development courses are really catchy, but whatever they are teaching is what I have been learning on my own and can learn on my own further more.

Since I am the Software Engineer and wish to persue the same line as what I am. It will help me further on in terms to create my own custom made game engine (blocks of code written in C++ for D3D, which is what I have been learning on my own at the moment.) and will help me impliment the scenes and characters for the game. UDK is what I will learn when I will want to work in the gaming environment. (I know many people here just yell at me like always in terms of directions...not that drag and drop type of guy here <.<)

Moral of the story:

I'd rather pay 20-26k to have my IT degree, than 40k to learn 3ds max, 3d maths, UDK, game arts, game story writing, Project 1, Project 2 with business ethics, loads of electives and so on. What I can learn on my own. These 40k instences are easy to learn if you are a core gamer and wish to learn how to make them.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    You just got to remember if you plan to go outside your native country for work, you need a degree or equal relative working experience ( amount varies from country to country ) to get there period.

So whilst all you folks that claim that you dont need a degree, you can learn it on your own etc - no game company is going to sidestep immigration for you.

Even if your the best artist on the planet, if your without schooling / degree, your chances of relocating are severly reduced.

You all know and love Marko Djurdjevic dont you ? Even he had massive problems getting into the US.

Art Skill Versus Immigration.... Round 1 ... FIGHT... you loose.

HEED MY WARNING!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I don't technically have a degree yet, but I'm so insanenly close I think I can claim it.

University in Canada is many orders of magnitude less expensive than the US ('cause we're a bunch of commies!) so it's harder to consider it a waste. I made business connections, made friends, got some more breadth of education, occasionally picked up useful knowledge, and had an excuse to mooch from my parents long enough to start a successful business.

I guess, looking at it that way, my degree is pretty awesome.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Hazardous wrote: »
    You just got to remember if you plan to go outside your native country for work, you need a degree or equal relative working experience ( amount varies from country to country ) to get there period.

So whilst all you folks that claim that you dont need a degree, you can learn it on your own etc - no game company is going to sidestep immigration for you.

Even if your the best artist on the planet, if your without schooling / degree, your chances of relocating are severly reduced.

You all know and love Marko Djurdjevic dont you ? Even he had massive problems getting into the US.

Art Skill Versus Immigration.... Round 1 ... FIGHT... you loose.

HEED MY WARNING!

I noticed even with the degree, Tier 1 requirements for the UK are insanely difficult to build up enough points if you are over 30 years old or so. Age has some factor over there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Hazardous wrote: »
    HEED MY WARNING!

Luckily I live in the USA and have Canadian citizenship, so I got options even without a degree :P

But outside the USA it's probably best to get a degree.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Luckily I live in the USA and have Canadian citizenship, so I got options even without a degree :P

But outside the USA it's probably best to get a degree.

Well, That is one of the Major Advantage to be in NorthAmerica! You are able to relocate accross the border on work permit OR go live there as long as you want, Canada to USA and wiseversa.

EDIT: There is an alternative for non-NA's(I am not sure if anyone tried it but...)

You can come on student visa, take a 2 year worth of 3d animation or game design or any CG course and make your portfolio on the side, or start working for free.

But thats hell lotta risky, and costs soo much money. =\