Home General Discussion

does a degree make a difference?

So I've been learning 3d on my own slowly for the past few years. I haven't gone to school for it or anything but my questions come down to this, does a degree in something relative to 3d or going to a school for 3d really make a difference as far as getting a job? or is it more along the lines of if you can do good work you can get a job, like an artist. I'm sure this has been asked before but id like to know b/c I'm about to put a lot of things in life aside so i can really pursue this as a career. Ive come to realize that doing 3d work is my true passion, i cant tell you how much its made me frustrated at times or how many times I've closed programs out but always always it calls me back. i love it..

Also I'm new to this site/board so just want to say hello to everyone & hopefully ill have some work i can show off soon. Thanks all!

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Not really a topic for P&P...but anyway...not for getting a job...your portfolio is what counts...but maybe for salary negotiations...
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Johnny,

I remember this coming up several times before. I'm not really the one to give the perfect answer but I remember this thread having a loooot of good responses on the issue. For some reason when I'm trying to link the thread it isn't working but use the forum search for "Am I stupid? (Serious qeustion) School stuff". Good thread. Hope it helps.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    yes...and...no...yessss...noo...

Seriously though, portfolio>degree.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd say a degree is only as worthwhile as the person doing it i'm currently on my 2nd year of a degree in "games design" but the course title doesnt really explain that what were being taught if the fundimentals in 3d modelling and level/character design.

so for me the degree is making a difference as its taking me from playing with unreal ed 2004 making very basic maps that are broken in places to actually having a working knolege of ut3 where i can make maps that would work. of course this knolege can be gained by yourself you can buy books and watch tutorials on youtube join a mod team whatever works for you but i find that having a tutor rip my work to shreads every lesson helps me to improve. youtube doesnt give crit and although forums such as polycount exist sometimes you wont get the crit you need which means you learn nothing.

When it come to gaining employment then i guess the guy whos doing the interview would probally look at portfolios 1st education 2nd
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    An Art Degree (bachelors +) is much better for ya than a "game design degree." Some places will take a 4 year degree, or other higher levels of education as years of industry experience, which when you're ready helps you enter the work force easier as long as your work sings and shines.

Management and Biz types like seeing the degree, it shows some more qualities about your personal character about being self motivated, smart (if you are! hur hur), and able to finish something. Otherwise they may be less keen to take a risk. For example you were "tied" with someone of equal skill - except they had a 4 year degree from an accredited school, you would probably not be offered the position but they would.

There are a few types of people though ive seen: 1. self taught, amazingly gifted, talented and phenomenally natural artists, whose work speaks for itself. Sometimes they can be less attractive to biz and management people from not having a degree and it will show through in those interviews. 2. Educated (2-4 years of college) artists who have poor work but great people skills. Generally able to learn quickly and adapt in a work environment. 3. Educated and gifted artists (because of education and hard work): the ones who get the job, are sociable, and know how to work on a team.

Having a degree does not fully matter, but the experiences and personal growth you can receive from a college education helps mature yourself to the point of an attractive employee. If you've already got it, and sick work - start applying and see what bites :)

also, welcome :) But this should probably be in General Discussion.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the very most important reasons to get a degree is weather you ever want to relocate to a different country. Not having a degree will make getting a visa in any country much much harder, near impossible in a lot of places.

When it comes to getting a job, generally the guy with the best portfolio wins. Talent trumps degree, experience trumps degree. However, like Moose says, in an equal fight, the degree will win.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    An Art Degree (bachelors +) is much better for ya than a "game design degree." Some places will take a 4 year degree, or other higher levels of education as years of industry experience, which when you're ready helps you enter the work force easier as long as your work sings and shines.

What moose says. Most "Game Design" specific colleges give degress that may or may not be recognized by more reputable academic institutions. Checking to see whether or not a potential college is accredited is very important.

If you are specifically looking to get into game art, then you will want a 4-year Bachelor of Arts degree in Studio art. For a minor, I would suggest something in the programming or data management areas. Business Data Systems would be a good place to start. This kind of minor will usually involve some solid entry-level programming, as well as some database administration. Neither of these is required for game artists, but both of them would be quite welcome additions to your resume. Also, this kind of entry-level programming is usually a lot easier for artists to get into. This combiniation of major and minor should also provide you with the free time necessary to practice game art specifically.

If you want to be a game designer, then you are going to want a much more tech-heavy curriculum. I would advise a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. This will require that you take some pretty advanced mathematics courses, so be ready for that. A computer science degree should give you all the programming background you need to jump into game programming. As a minor, I would suggest Literature. Developing your literary and creative writing skills will help considerably in producing design documents, and as inspiration for material in your games. Being able to communicate your ideas clearly in written form is important for game designers.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    My answer is no. As with almost anything artistic, so long as you show you can get the job done, they won't give a rat's arse if you've got a degree or not.

But like EQ has said, if you're looking to travel then yep, seems like they'd have a hard time justifying the expense of bringing you over unless you have that piece of paper (sigh).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    A degree is a good thing to have, as it will expand the possibilities for jobs. If you are a good artist with a solid portfolio, that is usuallly enough to get you a job. But if times be tight, and competition is stiff, you might need to fall back on a different job for a while. If art is the only thing you are qualified for, then your options will be limited. If you have additional skills, and a degree to prove it, you will have considerably greater earning potential.

On my degree suggestions, you'll notice that I balanced things out a bit. If you are going for an art-centric major, get a more technology-focused minor. If you are going for a technology major, go for a more "artistic" minor. This will help keep things balanced and interesting, while also giving you more job-related options.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I feel a degree will help with salary negotiations and maybe a teeny bit with job finding. However, if you are interested in a school definitely research where you want to go. Don't choose a good major college that is in state (like I did) over an out of state smaller school with a better program. Bigger is not necessarily better. Look at the program and talk to the professors/Deans of the school before you choose if you want to go to school for 3D/Game art or animation. The one thing I'd say larger schools are good for are programming. But again, it depends on the school.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only reason i hint mine is to make clear i have a chance on getting a visa.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I got a visa without degree, but I had experience, and that counted. So answer is NO.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    quote all the above for agreement.

However what is often overlooked is that a good degree program is not just all about making your art better. You get a whole lot of insight into things that you just don't get from a book or into subjects you never thought about researching yourself. Yet all this other stuff can be so important to you and your career.

I think college did not make me a better artist. I myself did that through practice. But what college gave me is a whole lot of insight and overview of the whole movie and games production cycle. Stuff you just don't learn when you grab a stack of books and DVDs about Zbrush. It also pointed me in directions, to look for inspiration and further knowledge, which I just wouldn't have gotten from books. It basically gives you an opportunity to look behind the "let's learn how to use Zbrush/Max" horizont and see what else is out there in our industry and in the art scene in general.

Sure, if your major goal is "get a job quick and learn to be kickass in Zbrush/Maya" then a college ain't the best way. But in the long run I think it does pay off.

So there's a lot more to college than just learning to make kickass art and I think this is often overlooked.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    EarthQuake, is on the money with his explanation.

I hate to say it, but I am living proof that degree's don't hold much value. I'm not going to go into detail other than saying I have a lot of education, and if I could do it all over again, I would have never went to college and just worked on the portfolio from the begining.

That's me though, some people are looking for a "college experience". I would like my 80,000 back!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Get a degree, lets you move around for work MUCH easier. I have heard of artists better than those who got the position getting jilted cause it was just too much hassle for the company to organise the visa.

I forget who it was, but someone one here posted the other week that they got offers from Naughty Dog and another pretty awesome company, but couldn't go work for them because of a lack of paper.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say it's worth your while for the immigration reasons mentioned elsewhere. It's probably not as big a deal for you as an American, but here in Australia I'm feeling pretty limited in my choices of workplace because I don't have a degree and therefore can't easily go after work in the US or UK.

As I mentioned in the other degree thread, I'm seriously considering going back to school for a year or so to complete my degree so that I can get a work Visa some time before I've got 10 years industry experience.
  • JohnnyAngry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW, thanks for all the feedback people :) still gonna be stuck at my crossroad a bit with 3d & MMA though, I have to give one of these my all :(
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't look at degrees.

I first look at the portfolio. If that is up to par, then I look at work experience and see if it meets the requirement of the position been sought. Then I look at education. Then I contact people you probably worked with to get an inside look on your personality.

That's how I roll.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    No matter how bad the company wants you, or who the company is or whether you have the sickest folio on the planet, thats not going to sneak you past immigration if you want to relocate.

However, If relocations not what you have planned, then id say 100% forget it, you CAN learn and develop a whole bunch by simply doing the work no degree required.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    but Bachelor of science is useful though, but thats more related to programming and not content creation
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • solytaire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best answer = (#16)