Home Technical Talk

# of sides on a barrel

I suddenly became unsure how many sides I should spend on a barrel, the low-poly version. UDK. It isn't an asset with great importance or anything, just your typical prop.

Is there sort of a standard agreed upon, how many sides you need to give the impression of round, like 12? The smoothing will probably help as welll.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    24 sides is the standard yet some use only four to ruin it for everyone. Just make it look good with the least amount tris as possible. I'm sure they have a tube in udk look at it and see how many sides it has...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I use 24 as well. It's not at all too much for something you can get right up close to.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    24 sides sounds like a lot, especially with the more edge loops you add to adjust the form. I find usually 14-16 is good for 3rd person games, maybe 20 for a fps, but in reality its probably gonna only be an ancillary detail in the world and I would rather spend my polys elsewhere for some cool damage or whatever. it really comes down to the how many polys in a piece of string discussion though. just make it look cool and Im sure you would be fine.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    24 sides sounds like a lot, especially with the more edge loops you add to adjust the form. I find usually 14-16 is good for 3rd person games, maybe 20 for a fps, but in reality its probably gonna only be an ancillary detail in the world and I would rather spend my polys elsewhere for some cool damage or whatever. it really comes down to the how many polys in a piece of string discussion though. just make it look cool and Im sure you would be fine.
    well if you have ribs modeled around the middle they look bumpy without a lot of divisions, if its just a plain tube 16 would be fine, also it depends on if its a small pipe or large cylinder shaped building.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.tmhunt.com/pics/techs_mechs/tnt_barrel.jpg depends on the look you want, i used 8 which worked fine for my art style on this project
  • erikb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers, you're of course right, Rhinkokey. Depends on what it's for. Like you said, 8 worked out great there.

In this case I was thinking of a somewhat realistic approach, I actually completed one with 12 sides, but I'll save it for another project another time, and go for one with some more detail for this one. 12 was a little on the short side.

I'll try out what TeriyakiStyle said, 24 with LOD. LODs are so easy to setup in UDK as well, so that'll work out great. And yeah, this is FPS.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Just go crazy, 24 or more. You'll make it up with LOD's.

People need to understand polycount is the least of our probs on this gen.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i was workin on WAR i tried to keep some personal rules since there was really no guidelines for such things, it started at

pencil - 3 sides,
    thick rope (normal wrist size) - 4 sides
    post ( bout one foot in diameter,)- 5 sides

from ther up double the sides for every time i doubled the diameter, so
    2 foot diameter cylinder would be 10 polys, 4 foot 20 polys

i like making personal rules like that,, it buges the hell out of me in games when i see a tire on a truck wiht like 12 sides,, then next to it a small pipe with 20 sides.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Rhinokey, that is a fantastic tip to us all.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Depends on how close you see it, just make sure it looks round. There shouldn't be any straight edges on round objects anymore in 2010! If you can get really close up to the barrel, I'd go for 32 edges or more even.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    People need to understand polycount is the least of our probs on this gen.

Until you run it on the PS3.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it depends on how much detail the model is going to have. Say, if it is just a primitive cylinder shape, with no beveled edges or anything, 24 or 32 is fine. If you've got some beveled edges, maybe some detail on the top, or maybe some extrusions in the midsection, you may want to roll with 12 or 16 instead.

I dont like using random numbers like 10 or 20 or 17 or that stuff, i like to do 4,6,8,12,16,24,32 etc as they all can be LOD'd into sensible numbers, and your uv seam goes in a sensible place, this is especially important if you have more than 1 LOD, say you use 26 sides, lod 1 is 13 sides, lod 2 is 7.5 sides, and you may screw up your uvs.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of the number of sides on the end of a rifles barrel, and how those rifles always ends up pointing directly at the camera in every cutscene and promotional material :)

barrels can afford some more sides these days, but make the amount of sides an even number.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I normally use 18, if they are going to be stacked, 12.

Wow way to contribute DarthNater.....
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dangerously close to "How Many polygons In a Piece of String".
    Mojokey's personal rules are great idea.

Another thing about lods to take into account is if its actually worth it to load and store and swap out another model that might be only saving a few more tris. I've read a few places that unless it shaves off 1/3rd of the tris its not worth it.

Also shader lod on average has the chance to effects performance more than tri count. I don't remember where it was I read all that as it was more than a year ago but... its something to keep in mind and ask the tech heads about.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Also shader lod on average has the chance to effects performance more than tri count. I don't remember where it was I read all that as it was more than a year ago but... its something to keep in mind and ask the tech heads about.

Which goes back to what was said about tri count really not being the biggest issue anymore. Materials are the new polycounts :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glib wrote: »
    Until you run it on the PS3.

Uh, really?

In uncharted 2 drake is about 25k in game and 80k on the cinematics
    http://i37.tinypic.com/20a2fs8.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Dangerously close to "How Many polygons In a Piece of String".
    Mojokey's personal rules are great idea.

Another thing about lods to take into account is if its actually worth it to load and store and swap out another model that might be only saving a few more tris. I've read a few places that unless it shaves off 1/3rd of the tris its not worth it.

vig what you said bears true we started WAR making lods for everything, and even making shadowcaster objects, but by mid cycle it was determined that it was taking more of a hit swaping everything out, so we pretty much stoped making lods on all but the most extreme cases
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    vig what you said bears true we started WAR making lods for everything, and even making shadowcaster objects, but by mid cycle it was determined that it was taking more of a hit swaping everything out, so we pretty much stoped making lods on all but the most extreme cases

yay I hate lod popping!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    yay I hate lod popping!

Speaking of that, maybe this isn't the place for it, but...

Has anyone noticed if you install a game onto your xbox hard drive and play it that it seems the LOD popping happens more than if you just play from the disc? I notice it a lot more in Gears 1 than any other game...
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Uh, really?

Yes. Talk to rendering SEs.

I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about multi-platform games here, but I should think that's obvious since comparing two platforms with two different platform-exclusive titles is fairly meaningless.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Speaking of that, maybe this isn't the place for it, but...

Has anyone noticed if you install a game onto your xbox hard drive and play it that it seems the LOD popping happens more than if you just play from the disc? I notice it a lot more in Gears 1 than any other game...
    I noticed some reverse LOD pooping on Mass Effect. It was mostly noticeable on signs. I would be close to one and it would pop to a higher res after a split second, but would stay semi-blurry when I first stopped. It was almost as if it wouldn't load the highest LOD or texture unless it knew you would be looking at it and not just zipping by.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Good thread, I think it was hammered into me so much at uni to keep poly count to absolute base line that it ended up compromising a a lot of my work. Best to aim high and pin it back to requirements.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glib wrote: »
    Yes. Talk to rendering SEs.

I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about multi-platform games here, but I should think that's obvious since comparing two platforms with two different platform-exclusive titles is fairly meaningless.

I thought you were just being a fan boy and saying the ps3 and deal with high polycounts. I'm curious in cry engine 3 what console can handle more tris.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    If I recall correctly, someone from Crytek said that PS3 handles physics and bigger amount of polygons better, while Xbox 360 works better with shader related stuff.

Don’t count on me too much, though; my memory is kind of fuzzy. I can’t find the right article for some reason.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If I recall correctly, someone from Crytek said that PS3 handles physics and bigger amount of polygons better, while Xbox 360 works better with shader related stuff.

Don’t count on me too much, though; my memory is kind of fuzzy. I can’t find the right article for some reason.

sounds about right, particle stuff looked better on the ps3 on gtaIV, but xbox did better with LOD fog and popping.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, also Xbox 360 has better anti-aliasing. I saw the diff on Darksiders, the PS3 version is horrible!
  • erikb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I started the thread, I think I was mostly interested in what people generally used, if it was for say, a game going for a fairly realistic look, I wasn't very specific. Even that's not too specific, how many barrels will at tops be in a room, what's the polycount of the room total, other items, etc. Visibility, if we were talking other round things like the wheel on a dumpster, just a small part of a bigger object, then you'd reduce number of sides, etc.

I got some good answers though, so it's all cool.

In the end, of course it just comes down to, it depends. And that's on a lot of things. And in games there's a lot of tricks you have to do in regards to optimization other than just reducing polycount and choosing appropriate texture resolutions.

What was said about LODs, that it could actually degrade performance, that was interesting. Specifically, when to bother with LODs, someone said they'd heard if it didn't cut down to 1/3 of the polys don't bother.

Or maybe a specific polycount, why bother with LOD on a 500 polygon object, if your system target is DX10 and 11 GPUs and Quad core CPUs. Unless there would be 500 copies of that object in the room.

BTW: How does UE3/UDK deal with objects that way, is there any instancing techniques going on to help with the performance, when I place out 500 copies of the same static mesh in a room. Not that I would do that.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Read Crazybutcher sticky since it covers a lot of things about polycounts...FAQ: Game art optimisation (do polygon counts really matter?)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    24 sides is the standard yet some use only four to ruin it for everyone. Just make it look good with the least amount tris as possible. I'm sure they have a tube in udk look at it and see how many sides it has...

I just realised...

Crates are just barrels with four sides! D:
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13

That's not true entirely true. As far as I know we've been having problems with the polycount on PS3.
    Where the PS3 appears to be good with shaders, xbox360 is way better at handling higher loads of geometry on the screen.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    That's not true entirely true. As far as I know we've been having problems with the polycount on PS3.
    Where the PS3 appears to be good with shaders, xbox360 is way better at handling higher loads of geometry on the screen.

Yep theres a game comparison on Eurogamer, and with the PS3 they had to cut the polygons down to keep equal framerate with the 360 which means it has less enemies, but it does have a higher res on the PS3 so looks a bit more detailed.
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    Neither is 'better' with polygons. How many polygons use use on a specific platform depends more on how much memory you have available and how much you dedicate to elements of your game.

The xbox has more memory and a more traditional gpu. Take that for what you will, but it's not true that either is 'better at polygons'.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hehe, after I wrote my previous post I wondered if it wasn't the other way around. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm probably going offtopic; what about the texture quality? Are there any major differences between two platforms, and if so are they caused by different texture sizes or PS3's implementation of AA (which very often makes things blurry). Feel free to ignore these questions if you can't spill the beans ;)
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Let's not make this a ps3 vs xbox thread now.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, that wasn't my intent. Also, I hardly doubt we have any fanboys on Polycount. I was asking this out of pure curiosity; I do believe it might be somehow relevant to the topic.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hehe, after I wrote my previous post I wondered if it wasn't the other way around. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm probably going offtopic; what about the texture quality? Are there any major differences between two platforms, and if so are they caused by different texture sizes or PS3's implementation of AA (which very often makes things blurry). Feel free to ignore these questions if you can't spill the beans ;)

Texture quality should be the same for both platforms because of texture streaming.

It's still two different platforms that render stuff a little bit different, but it shouldn't be that noticeable, more than that I can't say. And yes, let's not make this a console war thread.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    when i was workin on WAR i tried to keep some personal rules since there was really no guidelines for such things, it started at

pencil - 3 sides,
    thick rope (normal wrist size) - 4 sides
    post ( bout one foot in diameter,)- 5 sides

from ther up double the sides for every time i doubled the diameter, so
    2 foot diameter cylinder would be 10 polys, 4 foot 20 polys

i like making personal rules like that,, it buges the hell out of me in games when i see a tire on a truck wiht like 12 sides,, then next to it a small pipe with 20 sides.

Cool idea. I will adapt those rules to my needs. :) I've benn always trying to be consistens but required reviewing other assets and thinking. When you have a rules like those, you just do the math and take some variable for importance of the object or how close we see it/how big is on the screen.