Old (#16276)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSprocket View Post
Hey hey,

I'm finishing up a pack for the scout and wanted to get some sweet renders in Filmmaker. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or video or just some advice though here on how to take my workshop files and convert/import them into Filmmaker? I have some older work that I'd like to update with some better shots too.
Here's the video tutorials I watched; includes pretty much everything you need to know plus some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht7vIZqDcE

Also,steps to import your model to Filmmaker:

Use the .zip file from the import tool
Get .vtf and .vmt from the zip file:
steamapps>common>Team Fortress 2>tf>workshop
Copy them to:
common>SourceFilmmaker>game>tf>materials>models>wo rkshop>player>items>[class]>[item name]
Compile from the QC in the .zip using GUIstudioMDL
New .mdl will be created in:
[ROOT]>models>workshop>player>items>[class]

So I'm currently trying to work out how to create an item that has areas that are paintable and glowing. I've got the Alpha channel set, which works for paint. I thought to get glow I could upload an image in the Shared Illum Mask area that is a .tga with an alpha channel where I want the texture to glow. However it changes the Paint VMT so that it applies the paint to the entire object, and then I can't tell if it's even glowing or not. Anybody know how I could correctly work this?

Last edited by Jukebox; 08-18-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location Statesboro, Georgia, USA Send a message via Skype™ to Jukebox  

Old (#16277)
Are you using a normal map? You could possibly get the alpha channel of a normal map (if not using one just use the default purple in the diffuse so it doesn't do anything) to change the glow?

Actually you could even just use the alpha channel of your diffuse as your paintable which is pretty common, and as an alpha mask for the glow would have white where it wants to glow and black where it doesn't, surely they can share the same thing? Could you post your textures? It's a little confusing just reading text.

Offline , spline, 131 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location Midlands  

Old (#16278)
So I have my hat working in the import tool, verified and exported and works fine with jiggle bones in HLMV. When I try to load that up in itemtest TF2 just crashes to desktop and I have no idea why! I seem to remember a while ago I had to copy all the files for the item (even textures etc) in to the same folder for it not to crash, but that's not even working this time. Any ideas?

Edit: it appears my tf2 is broken as it worked for someone I just sent the exported zip file to. Looks like I'll need to reinstall.

Last edited by circle of friends; 08-19-2013 at 06:23 AM..

Old (#16279)
Officer walrus:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=170881280

Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,740 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Ankara, Turkey  

Old (#16280)
Quote:
Originally Posted by circle of friends View Post
Are you using a normal map? You could possibly get the alpha channel of a normal map (if not using one just use the default purple in the diffuse so it doesn't do anything) to change the glow?

Actually you could even just use the alpha channel of your diffuse as your paintable which is pretty common, and as an alpha mask for the glow would have white where it wants to glow and black where it doesn't, surely they can share the same thing? Could you post your textures? It's a little confusing just reading text.
Not currently using a Normal Map. I'm hesitant to use one since I know Valve only uses Normal Maps when it is really necessary.

Texture as of now, it's only the AO and some base colors:

Alpha Channel:

I have a copy of the Alpha channel saved for the Self Illumination map. Not sure if I'm doing it right. If I used the alpha of the Diffuse map how would I get the Import tool to use it for glow? Steam is having some issues right now so I can't open TF2 to take a look or get screenshots of the item. Thanks for the help.

@EmAr - Are those fangs? Also, I agree with whoever said it earlier, the fins need a bit more shape to them. Right now they are blobby and a bit too cartoony.
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location Statesboro, Georgia, USA Send a message via Skype™ to Jukebox  

Old (#16281)
are baby walrus' seal colored? Big ones are brown.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,725 Posts, Join Date Jun 2007,  

Old (#16282)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox View Post
Not currently using a Normal Map. I'm hesitant to use one since I know Valve only uses Normal Maps when it is really necessary.

Texture as of now, it's only the AO and some base colors:

Alpha Channel:

I have a copy of the Alpha channel saved for the Self Illumination map. Not sure if I'm doing it right. If I used the alpha of the Diffuse map how would I get the Import tool to use it for glow? Steam is having some issues right now so I can't open TF2 to take a look or get screenshots of the item. Thanks for the help.

@EmAr - Are those fangs? Also, I agree with whoever said it earlier, the fins need a bit more shape to them. Right now they are blobby and a bit too cartoony.
I didn't know about them not liking normal maps. I have a normal map in the hat I got accepted and it's vital if you want a specular map in the alpha channel of the normal map. To be honest I haven't done glowy stuff yet so I'm not totally sure. You could maybe edit the QC file though?

As for the walrus fangs, they need to be in the corners of his mouth, not the front as he's looking a bit vampirish at the moment. Spread them out a bit

Has anyone had any problems with recorded demos not playing? I'm trying to take a quick video of my hat's jiggle bones in itemtest, when I record a demo and load it to play it back it crashes TF2 to desktop. What's the best way to make a video?

Old (#16283)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddcog View Post
are baby walrus' seal colored? Big ones are brown.
Nope, baby walrus are also brown but brown doesn't look good with the blue team uniform. Maybe I can find a brownish color for the red team texture though. Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Those tiny things were supposed to be fangs but they are larger and better placed now.

I'll be looking into the feet next. Thanks again

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm trying to make the fangs even larger.

Last edited by EmAr; 08-20-2013 at 06:01 AM..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,740 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location Ankara, Turkey  

Old (#16284)
Id still move them to the side more, see here: http://images.nationalgeographic.com...75C6B500&01NA=

Right in to the corners of his mouth.

Old (#16285)
Quote:
I didn't know about them not liking normal maps. I have a normal map in the hat I got accepted and it's vital if you want a specular map in the alpha channel of the normal map. To be honest I haven't done glowy stuff yet so I'm not totally sure. You could maybe edit the QC file though?

Has anyone had any problems with recorded demos not playing? I'm trying to take a quick video of my hat's jiggle bones in itemtest, when I record a demo and load it to play it back it crashes TF2 to desktop. What's the best way to make a video?

On their Q&A page they say that they prefer not to use one unless it really helps the model. They used the Ambassador as an example. I'll have to go try and make a normal and specular map, this would be the first time for me. The Import tool only has an option for Self Illumination Mask, so I guess I would have to go into the .qc to change it. I'm definitely not too confident with my .qc abilities but I guess it's a good time to learn.

Are you using TF2's in-game replay? If so I would suggest FRAPS, but be sure to set the jiggle cut off frame rate to 1.

Old (#16286)
Finally finished my new hat!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...50&searchtext=

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old (#16287)
Quote:
On their Q&A page they say that they prefer not to use one unless it really helps the model. They used the Ambassador as an example. I'll have to go try and make a normal and specular map, this would be the first time for me. The Import tool only has an option for Self Illumination Mask, so I guess I would have to go into the .qc to change it. I'm definitely not too confident with my .qc abilities but I guess it's a good time to learn.

Are you using TF2's in-game replay? If so I would suggest FRAPS, but be sure to set the jiggle cut off frame rate to 1.
i think valve will let you use normal maps as long as it's simple and subtle. you can also always just leave the rgb layers as a blank normal map with the color 128 128 255 rgb numbers.

if you don't mind watermark and a 10 minute limit, bandicam free trial seems to give me better in-game performance after messing with the settings
Offline , spline, 129 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013,  

Old (#16288)
Quote:
Id still move them to the side more, see here: http://images.nationalgeographic.com...75C6B500&01NA=

Right in to the corners of his mouth.
I think this is a good placement:

Congrats on your hat BTW, cool idea! I'd put some images here as well.

Old (#16289)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAr View Post
I think this is a good placement:

Congrats on your hat BTW, cool idea! I'd put some images here as well.
Ah ok cool thanks, here's my hat:

And here's a little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyZogZRIpCo

Old (#16290)
mwaahahahahah!!!

links above pictures go to respetive workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=171803542

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=171804425

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=171805154

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=171806256

Last edited by heinous; 08-23-2013 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: changed screenies to reflect submission changes

Old (#16291)
@heinous Awesome! Following movement should be bit less jerky,but other than that love em! How you did all that,and still kept them gold star items? +1 for making opening shot remind me of Fallout 3.

New thing for spy:

It's basicly default suit with some extrudes,bridges,etc. If I get it under 1400 tris,is it possible to replace default suit? Because this is basicly default one,I've kept all bones and skin modifier on,so hopefully it deforms well. I've seen some spy suits on workshop,and they don't look like they just added some floating geo,or modeled over default one... On the other hand,I don't see option to hide it in importer... Also,ignore colors for now,they are overlays to just get general idea.
Offline , line, 84 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location In The Sky  

Old (#16292)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy94 View Post
@heinous Awesome! Following movement should be bit less jerky,but other than that love em! How you did all that,and still kept them gold star items? +1 for making opening shot remind me of Fallout 3.
ah, fallout. i knew i was inspired by something.

i studied how jigglebones work and then messed around for a long time to get the movement out of it. it's partly why i'm afraid to try eliminating the jerky movement after getting it to actually work.

spy item is looking spiffy. might want to make the shirt colored though, i don't think valve wants items that take away team distinction and they talked about that in the blog post a while back.

Old (#16293)
sorry double post

Last edited by carlson bench; 08-25-2013 at 03:03 AM..
Offline , null, 7 Posts, Join Date Aug 2013, Location UK  

Old (#16294)
Hi this is my very first TF2 hat

I would love some feed back if possible

Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...27&searchtext=
Offline , null, 7 Posts, Join Date Aug 2013, Location UK  

Old (#16295)
Quote:

New thing for spy:

It's basicly default suit with some extrudes,bridges,etc. If I get it under 1400 tris,is it possible to replace default suit? Because this is basicly default one,I've kept all bones and skin modifier on,so hopefully it deforms well. I've seen some spy suits on workshop,and they don't look like they just added some floating geo,or modeled over default one... On the other hand,I don't see option to hide it in importer... Also,ignore colors for now,they are overlays to just get general idea.
Someone a while ago had a workshop item that replaced the arm models of the soldier. They said they used the .qc code from the Zombie Skins, which makes the model override the default mesh. I've looked at the .qc for it though and I can't figure out what it was. I don't remember the name of the item but it was rolled up sleeves for the soldier. If you find it let me know, I have a few items on the back burner that I wanted to do the same thing to.

Old (#16296)
Quote:
Someone a while ago had a workshop item that replaced the arm models of the soldier. They said they used the .qc code from the Zombie Skins, which makes the model override the default mesh. I've looked at the .qc for it though and I can't figure out what it was. I don't remember the name of the item but it was rolled up sleeves for the soldier. If you find it let me know, I have a few items on the back burner that I wanted to do the same thing to.
Sure,hope you do vice versa,if you find out how to do that.
Offline , line, 84 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location In The Sky  

Old (#16297)
Quote:
Sure,hope you do vice versa,if you find out how to do that.
Found it. However, it did it differently than I thought.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...49&searchtext=

He took the texture for the Soldier model, made an alpha layer and whited out the areas that conflicted. Then added
$alphatest 1
$nodecal 1
This made the model invisible wherever the alpha layer was applied.

Forum thread on the workaround:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f...1721958843498/

So unless Valve changes the Importer to allow more stuff, any item you make won't be Gold Star'd. And I'm thinking Valve is only going to implement Gold Star items.

That being said, you can still do it for fun.

Old (#16298)
Ah yeah, I did that for my pyro's Statue of Liberty feet. Just alpha'ed the feet for testing, then every pyro in game had no feet
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,725 Posts, Join Date Jun 2007,  

Old (#16299)
Okay, thanks to Ermfish for helping me out with my paint and glow problem. He recommended that I assign 2 materials to my mesh, one for the diffuse map and the second for the paint and glow. Still can't tell with the importer tool if it's glowing or not but the paint works just fine with it. Need to test it out in game to see.

Also, been working on Halloween set for the Medic, really excited about it.

Kind of a Witch Doctor set.
-Deer skull hat
-Shrunken Head Necklace
-Arm and Ankle bands

Only have the initial models at this point.

Old (#16300)
one more submission

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=173906920