Old (#15676)

Edit;

Goes with this stuff, btw.

( Concept by Square )

Last edited by Sexy Robot; 04-16-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Offline , triangle, 320 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location Hertfordshire - England  

Old (#15677)
My first hat for TF2 !!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=139211083

Offline , null, 10 Posts, Join Date Jul 2012,  

Old (#15678)
Second item

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=139291289

Old (#15679)
My Third ITEM TF2

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=139492130

Old (#15680)

Tried my hand at texturing for the first time. What do you guys think? Haven't finished yet, I still think it looks a bit too cartoony. I also need to figure out how to make the Alpha channel. Perspective view was on which is why it looks a bit wonky in the second image. Also, haven't gotten rid of the UV lines yet, but I will.
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location Statesboro, Georgia, USA Send a message via Skype™ to Jukebox  

Old (#15681)
Long time no post! I suck! Too many projects and other junk going on, so to get back into the swing of things I decided to remake my first workshop item.
So much stuff pissed me off about it, so I needed to redux Ol' Shelly!
Still tons of small things to do, seam touch up, rig everything, compile, etc. I have never compiled with styles, are they all separate mdls? So far I assume yes, but...

Here is the POS for a ref:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...t=OL%27+Shelly

Offline , polycounter, 997 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008,  

Old (#15682)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Robot View Post

Edit;

Goes with this stuff, btw.

( Concept by Square )
I'm really liking that backpack. I've been interested in thinking of one for Soldier for a while now.
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location Statesboro, Georgia, USA Send a message via Skype™ to Jukebox  

Old (#15683)
Offline , triangle, 320 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location Hertfordshire - England  

Old (#15684)
yam what I am!

Based on an iconic cartoon character this is was mostly a fun piece that includes a hat "Sailor Man" the chin cosmetic "The Pappy" and a Cannon design based from both a 18th century ship swivel gun and a flintlock rifle.

It has all been submitted over at the TF2 Workshop so you should go check it out.

Offline , vertex, 40 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011,  

Old (#15685)

Old (#15686)
It the backpack supposed to be a Buff Banner replacement? Or is it a misc?

Old (#15687)
As usual Sexy Robot your work continues to rock my face off, keep up the amazing work!

Old (#15688)
Someone just got a new lightwrap!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=140326516

Old (#15689)
Hi, I'm brand new to modeling and have hit a snag in blender. It's a tf2 item, I was hoping you guys know what I'm doing wrong and would tell me how to fix this.

the part is a 12 sided cylinder, it is also curved vertically. Ambient occlusion ray tracing simply refuses to consider the sides smooth. yet, it has no problems shading the bend as smooth.

Both ray tracing with constant jitter, and approximate show no such problem, but they looks bad in certain other parts so I want to use ray tracing with constant qmc.

the blender version is 2.66, the setting for bake is ambient occlusion, ray tracing, constant qmc, object shading is smooth, the lamp's deleted, this is the only mesh with rendering turned on, both bake and world tabs were changed to ambient occlusion, edge split modifier has edge angle unchecked and I manually marked sharp edges. no, those edges were not marked as sharp. the distance of attenuation doesn't help any, nor does amount of sampling. Checking and unchecking the normalized option in bake doesn't help either. yes, i removed doubles.

I have also looked up this: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...ient_Occlusion but unfortunately qmc options don't have the bias setting.

Yes, I know it looks bad regardless, I know enough to be humble about this.

What am I doing wrong? I have a feeling it is something stupidly simple.

Last edited by heinous; 04-22-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Offline , spline, 130 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013,  

Old (#15690)
@heinous
So I don't know much about baking in Blender, but if it were me I would just throw in some extra edge loops and bake from a higher poly model

Old (#15691)

Melee for the paratrooper set has been completely reconceptualized.

Old (#15692)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite212 View Post
@heinous
So I don't know much about baking in Blender, but if it were me I would just throw in some extra edge loops and bake from a higher poly model
Just doubled the edges, the the lines just got thinner because the polygons are narrower, but the shading is just as heavy...

If they get doubled again, each polygon is going to be just about 2 pixels wide...

It's gonna show up in game when people look up close. Maybe I should just bake both approximate and ray trace AO's and then choose the good ones from each in photoshop?

Last edited by heinous; 04-23-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old (#15693)
@Sexy Robot
I absolutely love this knife design. The only thing I would say is the front hand guard seems it might be a tad close to the hilt, but it may just be the angle throwing me off, cant wait to see it finished!

@heinous
I would not get to caught up on the just the flat AO. Me personally I start with flat colors and see how my AO looks on that. With something smooth this this you may not even need the AO on the curved part, and you can mess with it in photoshop. Also dont get in the mind set you can do a one and done with an AO. Personally I will usually use several different AO's with different colors, layer effects, opacities , etc, and use layer masks when needed to edit out unneeded parts of some of the AO's. It may help to get a better idea of the desired result if you show us the whole model, so we have an idea of what it is.

Old (#15694)
It should fit fine.

Old (#15695)
i just looked at the earlier pages and realized a lot of big hitters are here. I feel like I shouldn't be here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite212 View Post
@heinous
I would not get to caught up on the just the flat AO. Me personally I start with flat colors and see how my AO looks on that. With something smooth this this you may not even need the AO on the curved part, and you can mess with it in photoshop. Also dont get in the mind set you can do a one and done with an AO. Personally I will usually use several different AO's with different colors, layer effects, opacities , etc, and use layer masks when needed to edit out unneeded parts of some of the AO's. It may help to get a better idea of the desired result if you show us the whole model, so we have an idea of what it is.
Thanks, if multiple AO's is the norm, I think I'll go that route then. I managed to get everything silky smooth using a subdivision surface modifier set to 4, but of course any sharp corners ended up having a beveled see through AO since they get subdivided too. At least then modifier can just be undone with a click, so maybe I should do an AO with it on, then with it off, and use one for smooth surfaces and the other for corners? What are colored AO's used for and how do I make them? It's probably a stupid question.

It's a flamethrower, the parts in question are just long metal pipes, I have seen on the degreaser the smoothness that I should probably be shooting for, because I know I'm new but I don't want to be one of those countless sorry and miserable submissions in the workshop either...

Old (#15696)
A mobile sentry gun for team fortress, it still a work in progress. Tell me if the design and colors fit with TF2 and if i must change things:

Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Jan 2013,  

Old (#15697)
@Sexy Robot

That puts any of my concerns to rest. The more I look at it the more I love it! I really can't wait to see the finished product!

Old (#15698)
@heinous
Don't let the heavy hitters scare you off. Hell nrek was my roommate when he made the croc 'o style set, he sets a pretty high bar on any thing he does. You gotta start somewhere. When I refered to a color AO it would basically be taking an AO and overlaying some color in photoshop. When I do something like that it is usually pretty low opacity and can help give some more life to the object. For example I might use a darker brown shaded AO on a wood surface, or darker blue on a metal surface, etc. There is nothing wrong with using multiple AO's and mashing them up, like one for smooth sides combined with one to give nice edges on a corner. Layer masks are your friend here. The same technique can be used with normal maps, doing a cage bake and a cageless bake, lne for details, one for nice edges. At least with TF2 most cases a flat normal is just fine. Also keep in mind this is how I work, some may find my workflow back asswards, others may find it lagit, but in the end it is what works for me. Hope this helps

Last edited by kite212; 04-23-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old (#15699)
Thank you, I think I have a somewhat acceptable AO now...

anyone have pointers on replicating the chipped paint effect? what brush, settings, etc? particularly on edges? as well as for edge/corner highlights from this post? I tried dabbing a spot of grey and then smudging but it always ends up either too swirly, too wide, or blurry.

Old (#15700)
@Linko

Not sure how I missed this. I think the colors work, and I like the design. That being said I would see something like this getting flagged as incompatible by Valve due to everything that would be required to get this in game.

@heinouns

When I do paint or surface wear I will have my base metal color, and the paint/finish on a layer above that. I would then use a layer mask to paint the wear on the paint/finish to expose the metal underneath. For all my TF2 textures I pretty much use square brushes including the one in Swizzle's post