Old (#1)
I just realized they removed the documents and settings folder from win 7, where does the back up file get saved when maya crashes?
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,110 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Vancouver Canada  

Old (#2)
That's all been moved to CUsers\[username]\ I forget offhand the exact location, sorry, haven't had a crash yet.
Offline , polycounter, 1,179 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location South Dakota Send a message via ICQ to throttlekitty Send a message via AIM to throttlekitty Send a message via Yahoo to throttlekitty  

Old (#3)
yeah, user\local settings\temp, find the latest .ma file, and you will be fine. If it's not there u lost ur work, sorry..
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,634 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location Irvine CA Send a message via MSN to bugo Send a message via Skype™ to bugo  

Old (#4)
I am using Maya 2014 Educational Version, which crashed when I accidentially hit
"save" two times. I haven't been able to locate a single backup, even though Maya pretends to write a file to disk when crashing.

I checked all available info - as usually Autodesk has no official info on it, so you have to google your way around. And there is nothing ever in any of my documents folder, which made me think it has to be somewhere else. Anyone have experience with 2014 and where on earth it saves its' backups (PC version)? I'd really appreciate the help.

It stopped being funny after Maya first made my file "read only" and actually erased the scene file from my disk when I closed it. That is just a kind of bug that cannot happen.
Offline , spline, 175 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Hamburg, Germany  

Old (#5)
Though it happened to me in a different way. My file got crashed when it was hanged while going through Shatter Effect.

Location would be CUsers\hp(User name)\AppData\Local\Temp

Hope its work for you to locate the file............:-)
Offline , null, 1 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013,  

Old (#6)
For the educational version of maya 2014 your crashed files can be found in CUsers\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp. The name of the file should be your username followed by a string of numbers.
Offline , null, 4 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013, Location Tampa  

Old (#7)
The string of numbers is the date and time of crash
/JohnnyRaptor
Portfolio - Available for Freelance
ArtStation - Tree Bark 3D Scan
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,722 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to JohnnyRaptor