I'mSlightlyBored: I apologize for not replying earlier, but I have been really busy over the last 2 weeks. I have managed to solve the problems with my normal maps (or at least, the most major ones). Turns out it was the most basic issue; while my maps were set to a proper compression, they were not imported with the right settings. That was a silly mistake, which cost me hours of my time :P
I will probably remove some of the minor details the size of my scene is much bigger now than I have initially planned.
Regarding the brick wall; I will probably redo it - I think it does not fit the style of the environment I am going for. I will keep your suggestions in mind however and make the new one more uneven.
Legion: Once again, apologies for not replying earlier. Glad you liked the models. Roman architecture was among my inspirations and I'm glad I managed to capture some sense of it. I will be certainly making some floors and archways so keep looking forward to it
Let's get to the point.
I've been busy over the past two weeks learning the basics of UDK, solving silly issues and blocking out the environment. Eventually, I have decided to modify my initial concept (a grand hallway lit by moonlight); as I could not get the lighting to look as I wanted to. Lightmass is much more complex than I have expected.
Two days ago, I have decided to scrap my previous work in UDK, with strong directional light. That should allow me to get as much out of the Lightmass as possible. Now that I have got to know the basics of using UDK I can focus on doing some proper work.
Anyway, here's my progress on blocking out the scene:
As you can see some of the areas are quite empty for now, but I will be adding more detail later on. I plan to add fountains, trees and benches into to courtyard.
I will try to break the repetitiveness of the scene with some ornaments such as vases, pillars and statues. Some areas, (like roof and the walls) will get more love this weekend, at the moment they look very bland.
Ignore the skybox for now; I'm aware it does not suit the scene, but it is not my priority at the moment.
I am aware that it is quite early for any proper feedback, but I would love to hear some suggestions. I hope I have managed to achieve a right scale. Transition to Unreal's unit size has been quite painful for me.
Now that I have the most annoying issues fixed, I will be posting updates more often. I hope to finish the blockout by the end of this weekend; after that I will get back to making the highpolies. However, I have noticed that Lightmass can kill normal maps, so I won't be relying on them as much as I have originally planned.
I'm looking forward to your comments and critique guys