Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painting mah textures

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
wasker polycounter lvl 7
Hey fellas. I've been trying to handpaint some textures lately and decided to put together a small scene (3,5k polys) to show them off.

All textures are painted from scratch. In this scene I just use diffuse, no spec (lol) or normals. The textures are sitting at a whopping 5x512 but I can probably squeeze them in on a single 1024.

merry xmas and hugs!
handpainteds.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the wood looks nice, if not a bit too straight and polished, the stons on the other hand seem much more cartoony, the cracks seem almost pure black, teh scene looks almost fullbright perhaps some lighting would help pull it all together
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Rhinowhore here. The wood is too straight and the stone and wood don't match styles. Don't get me wrong, its great painting, just need to mess it up a bit :) Make those lights orange and yellow and pull back the fall off so you get some shadows where the light 'stops', it will give it more depth.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start Wasker. I'm going to keep an eye on this one! While I'm just starting out myself, I'm feeling that your floor could use some adjustment to fit the overall temperature of the scene. It's kind of clashing (to me) with the rest of the textures. Keep at it man! :D
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Cool start! the floor stands out way too much to me but it may be the lack of shadows...
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Rhino: thanks for the crits man. I hear you about the stones and the wood. Do you mean both the stone tiles or just the floor by the way?

DarthNater: thanks Darth. I'll pop some warm lantern glows in there :)

Devin Busha: Alright, thanks. I'll fix em!

GoK: Thanks for the comment and crit Gok, I like the space ships you've been doing lately by the way!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Floor doesn't look flat, its too 3D for its own good. Back wall texture is too large.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    zacd, yeah, it came out abit too 3d. I agree about the backwall. thanks for the crit

here's a wip for the new floor,

not quite satisfied. too desaturated?

tilet.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    looking good, I'd like to see it in that scene before I make any suggestions.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    I think we definitely need to see the scene lit because the colours will really bring the scene together.
  • crashoveride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crashoveride polycounter lvl 18
    wasker wrote: »
    zacd, yeah, it came out abit too 3d. I agree about the backwall. thanks for the crit

here's a wip for the new floor,

not quite satisfied. too desaturated?

tilet.jpg

Saint Seiya Lost Canvas ... ^^
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    zacd - thank you, will replace the current texture with the updated one when I can.

myles - yupyup, thank for the comment!

crashoveride - I dont get the reference :) I googled it and it seems its some anime series. thanks for dropping by though!

I was fixing my ground tiles yesterday but since I have the computer on the floor and it has this nice little shelf cut in the front, which is an excellent area to rest your feet on when working. Unfortunately this shelf is also inhabited by a small reset button and while toying around with my toes while dumbly painting away I managed to turn the computer off before I managed to save any textures I'd done during the day :) I blame whoever designed this thing!

and so, because I couldnt ass myself to spend another 2 hours on the same texture, here's another texture I did for the exterior of the scene. Again, handpainted from scratch.

closeup
    closeupm.jpg

the whole thing!
    groundtxtr.jpg
    closeupm.jpg

groundtxtr.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems a bit busy to me, i would go a little simpler and then a bunch of grass tuft polygons also with hand painted goodness laying in different areas
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Where can i find video tuts on how to paint textures? I mean like a "making of" video.
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    Where can i find video tuts on how to paint textures? I mean like a "making of" video.

I don't know if this is off topic but i have some sites saved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwnIz-2Xyh4&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.polycount.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D41232%26page%3D108&feature=player_embedded thats from JFletcher

theres also this tut of making ice.
    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2838&start=40

also textureing Florpf by JFletcher. it has 5 parts.
    youtube.com/watch?v=hY3vOLy_OM0&feature=related

and im sure there's more :)

Micah aka Spikes15 ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah: I'd advise against taking any advice from that thread on Runic Games, especially how he shades with black and white. Instead, I'd advise you to set a palette of colours (really give this some thought) and paint using those. With the technique outlined in that thread you'll end up with a very bland texture, without any colour contrast to speak of. Jfletcher's videos already teach you much more from the very first second, by showing you how cool his coloured shadows look!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    achillesian: you're probably right mate. here's another one. I tried it keeping it less busy.

roosterMAP: you should check out the dominance war winners blog, he's got a couple of videos of him painting a girl. I think he's called slipgate central or something on the intrawebz.

Micah: yup, Jfletchers good!

MightyPea: I agree.

Dont mind the fence it's just a placeholder for scale.

grassy2.jpg

grassypreview.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    i like that pale stone texture, except it doesn't look like it would tile very well
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    uneditable poly: thanks, here it is tiled for ya. there's a small seam that i havent got rid of yet but other than that I think it tiles ok.

tiled.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    Ah, nice. I spoke too soon. That actually looks like it works pretty well. Good job on that one.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the stones leap out as being not very natural shapes, particularly the large one in the lower left. It's all kind of fit neatly together like a jigsaw which isn't terrible likely to happen in reality. Aside from that it looks like it'll work pretty well.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    not bad rendering but the stone looks more like illcolored cracked mud, like from an old river bed

http://www.keithv.com/blog/photo/africa_scans2/cracked_mud_nimb.jpg

the grass texture i like, tho would be nicer to see it on some more interesting terrain with some lighting, the full bright hurts it
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    uneditablepoly: thank you

Jackablade: yeah, you're right about that. I fixed it in this version I think.

Rhinokey: agreed, Rhino. I'm not very good at lighting my scenes in realtime though . I'll see if I can dig up some info on lighting on teh google.

here's the stone again (x4) with some moss. Tried to get some colours going.

tilytiled.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I thought moss grew around the edges of rocks (or through cracks) its a bit confusing cause right now there seems to be no "originating" point of the moss, and I know that may sound silly, but right now its a bit confusing without it...
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I agree on adding a little more personality to it. I definitely love the look, except for the blue floor, feels very out of place.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Jason, you're right as ever :> Gotta fix it up. thanks for the crit.
    Sirdelita, thanks for the comment. I fixed the floor in this scene. Got some wierd pixelation going on at the tiles though.

uegrab.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Ooh, that floor's coming along very nicely. The variation in detail level is what sells the painted look for me, and I think you could extend that touch to the bricks and wood planks. Right now both of the latter are quite even and lack variation (though the bricks /do/ look spiffy).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I didn't even realize that was the same scene, sooo much better. Everything actually fits together now.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Would you mind briefly going over how you hand painted those wood and brick textures, or link me to a good tutorial? Those look really good.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    those look sweet! remind me of WoW.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floor loving, chyeah!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great, everything came together now. As said before, if you give the wood planks some variation in the same way you did with the floor I think it'll really stand out. Congratulations. :)
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Lotekk - Thanks for the crits, yeah the bricks and wood or atleast the wood could use another pass and I'll probably give them one when I find time.
    I too appreciate the spiffy look of the bricks.

ZacD - I agree, I didnt change much in it texture and modelwise though besides the engine. Just removed one wall and extended the bricks some
    more.. and tweaked the lights... thanks for the love :)

frell - Sure, I just slap some browns/oranges (or whatever colour you want) down, paint the fibres and then detail it up. As in my concepts I try to block everything out as early as I can. Paint with the largest brush possible for the stroke you are about to make, for example, if you are going to lay down a large flat colour then use a large brush and make a single stroke instead of making several small ones. Your paintings will be much cleaner that way. Think about the shapes you need to finish the painting/texture and start work your way down from the largest possible to the smallest (large>small). I might make a tutorial when I find the time. Glad you liked my stuff :)

roosterMAP - Thanks Roostah! They've got some rad textures in wow. can't wait to see what they cook up for the SC2 ingame cutscenes and their nextgen mmo!

griffinax - Thanks man!

felipefrango - Yeah I know, I'm thinking of how I'll make them pop. The floor alone brought up my scene from modest 3500 triangles to a whopping 5.2k. I'm afraid that if I break up the wood too much I'll land around 10k. And I want to keep it fairly low poly. Thanks for the crit, I'll look into the wood.

Here's a gui I made ;o also handpainted. I'm not sure if it fits superwell for a third person/first person view.

iconsf.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Nice UI, I like it! The brick wall texture caught my eye though, as it overlays everything, even the sword. The whole thing is looking solit though, I really like the icons.

As the the wood I really don't know whayt you could do to improve it while using just a few polys. Maybe hanging some sort of prop on the wall, but that might differ from your intention entirely. You could try adding some detail to the texture, some wear and tear on the individual planks, something like this:

http://www.my-green-home-project.com/images/Old-plank-wall.jpg