Home Technical Talk

Wrinklemaps in 3D Studio Max

Hi all, my name is Eric and I am a alcoholic...
...nah, I have a issue, but it's of the 3DSmax kind :)

I am doing my first major animation, and in major, I meen: Huge environments, fully rigged (although optimized and normal mapped from HD ones) characters, sound, voice actors, the whole 9 yards.

The problem is, to make my characters more believable, I want to add wrinkle maps like in Crysis, Uncharted DF, TR Underworld etc. But I dn't know how to do it in max.

I have an idea on the creation of them, but not on how I'd make the characters use them when the face goes into a range that has to be wrinkled, i.e:

How can I add them to my characters, so that they work automatically?

Please people, I need help in this... and with the alcoohol, joke.
Thanks in advance

- Eric

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    http://doc.crymod.com/AssetCreation/frames.html?frmname=topic&frmfile=WrinkleMapCreation.html

You need an engine that supports them, crysis is the only one i know available to use freely.
  • 3dsmaxuser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    http://doc.crymod.com/AssetCreation/frames.html?frmname=topic&frmfile=WrinkleMapCreation.html

You need an engine that supports them, crysis is the only one i know available to use freely.

Thanx a bunch man!

So they come forth mainly in gaming engines, I take it they are script based/controlled?

If so, is there no way to recreate that in Max? I have max 2009 32bit, and I render using mental ray (testing the finalRender renderer now, and I like).

Is there a way to let the renderer know when to make the wrinkles/additional normals visible?/to cue them?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I believe the wrinklemaps get blended in when the morph transition starts.

I suppose you could fake it in max using morphs, then animating the opacity of the wrinklemap as you move the morph slider.
  • ZacD
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You use a composite map in the bump slot.
    You plug in your base bump map at the bottom, plugging in each wrinkle bump on the left and the mask for that bump on the right. If you have one wrinkle map you need a layer and a mask for each area you want to control.

You can then animate the opacity of each map to blend the different areas.

You can use reaction manager or wire parameters to hook the opacity setting up to an object like a control board.

This tutorial covers creating a control board from splines.
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/face_rig/face_rig.php
    Walter Osborn script in that tutorial is pretty great at making a control board piece quickly. Careful tho the center circle's local Y axis is up instead of the default Z.

This tutorial will cover the same process only manually if you're interested in knowing what the script is actually doing (and want to align the center circle's up axis to Z like the rest of Max)
    http://www.viefex.com/view_tutorial.php?viewkey=066b82ab86dff8a46af6&page=1&viewtype=&category=3

If the opacity parameter doesn't show up as something you can wire or react with then you need to animate one key with it for it to show up in the list. Easiest way is to turn on auto key and toggle each opacity up and down once.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, wire parameters and a bump/normal composite material setup is the way to go. Nice write-up, Vig, thanks :)
  • Damien_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damien_B polycounter lvl 9
    Wondering if anyone has seen this blending tech used for cloth folds or muscle blends in-game?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    @Damien

Uncharted 1 and 2 both use these. Watch as drake runs and his shirt and pants move as they might.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Wer working on some inhouse tech that may include edge tension based blending of wrinklemaps on clothing! its a fiddle to get it good looking with only one wrinkle map but still dope!

also, unreal engine 3 supports animated normalmaps/wrinkle maps with FaceFX, this was in early 2005 so pretty sure theyv pimped it up even more now.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    so it's a bump map for animation that is driven by opacity? Sounds really useful, but one question - Is this going to become the standard in games? For instance, say you had a blanket that could be picked up, would the non wrinkled/ non animated texture be alot plainer than that of which we are used to creating?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its used all over the place in a bunch of different ways its pretty much up to the studio as to how. The method I outlined is one way you can get it done in 3dsmax. We wire morph targets, bones and wrinkle maps to the same control board piece so they all animate in harmony.

That example is also for B/W bumps which for us are slightly less costly than full blown normal maps (I blame our users hardware).

You can use normal maps just the same I haven't tested it much. You might need to get tricky and disable the blue channel (in the additional wrinkle maps not the base) and set the layer mode to overlay for it to blend with the base correctly. Like you would if you combined two normal maps in photoshop.

As for the blanket example its hard to say. If there are physics on the blanket its hard to predict how it will react making it hard to create a wrinkle map that would work. You normally want tightly controlled areas where you'll know exactly what kind of wrinkles will be produced. Like wrinkles in faces, around elbows and knees.
  • 3dsmaxuser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »

You use a composite map in the bump slot.
    You plug in your base bump map at the bottom, plugging in each wrinkle bump on the left and the mask for that bump on the right. If you have one wrinkle map you need a layer and a mask for each area you want to control.

You can then animate the opacity of each map to blend the different areas.

You can use reaction manager or wire parameters to hook the opacity setting up to an object like a control board.

This tutorial covers creating a control board from splines.
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/face_rig/face_rig.php
    Walter Osborn script in that tutorial is pretty great at making a control board piece quickly. Careful tho the center circle's local Y axis is up instead of the default Z.

This tutorial will cover the same process only manually if you're interested in knowing what the script is actually doing (and want to align the center circle's up axis to Z like the rest of Max)
    http://www.viefex.com/view_tutorial.php?viewkey=066b82ab86dff8a46af6&page=1&viewtype=&category=3

If the opacity parameter doesn't show up as something you can wire or react with then you need to animate one key with it for it to show up in the list. Easiest way is to turn on auto key and toggle each opacity up and down once.

On behalf of the entire crew on this side, I would like to thank all of you who helped out in this thread,

In a big part, major thanks to Vig, I got it working and it made our characters more believable.
    I hope your site gets up and going soon.
    (That's from one of the guys )

Good luck with your projects all, and Merry Christmas/Hanuka and a Happy New Year!
  • bisse123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this old thread.
    I managed to create the controllers through reaction manager, which means that it is possible to create some fancy controls for the morph targets.
    Using this same technique described above using wire parameters, I have been trying to connect a wire parameter to the opacity of the composite material used in the bump material slot.
    Unfortunately I can't find the opacity parameter in the wire parameter manager. The alternative so far have therefore been to keyframe the opacity, even though the most precise and fast method would be to have the opacity linked to the individual controls that controls that morph targets.

My question is: Could you provide a short tutorial/explanation as to how this is done? - In return I would be very grateful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello blast from the past... I'm away from max at the moment but I think max won't add the track until you set at least one key then it shows up and you can wire to it.
  • bisse123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh yes, your absolutely right, it shows up now that I keyed it. :-) Thanks a lot for the tip
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 7
    Hello blast from the past... I'm away from max at the moment but I think max won't add the track until you set at least one key then it shows up and you can wire to it.

Yup!
    That did the trick!
    Thank you so much Mark!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Nice stuff vig! :)