Home General Discussion

Looking to buy an entry level DSLR, tips?

I am sure you are all tired of seeings these "best camera" threads, but I tried searching and I couldn't find any pre-existing thread.

I am thinking of getting an entry level DSLR and I did some research, and I inclined towards a Nikon D60 if I can find one, or a D5000. I am not really sure about the Canons, they seem to have nice crisp photos but the quality deteriorates quicker at higher ISO levels.

I guess in the end it doesn't really matter what you take, provided they are at the same level. It's more of an investment in future if you plan on getting more lenses.

Anyway, to sum it all up - I think of getting a D60 or a D5000, but I'd like to hear some Canon people talk. I also live in the Toronto area, and if someone knows a place with nice prices for cameras, I'd love to hear it. :D

I will probably be taking landscape pictures most of the time, and macro shots of course.

Sorry if I don't make much sense, it's 2 am and I didn't get any sleep last night. :/

Oh I should mention that I couldn't find the D60 anywhere, it's sold out all over the place. Online I checked newegg.ca but it doesn't have it, amazon doesn't have it either, but there are plenty at eBay. But on eBay the D5000 cost as much as the D60 and the only reason I was thinking of getting the D60 instead is because I though I could get an additional lense at the cost of the price difference. (I coordinated my prices with Blacks, the photography store. The D5000 costs ~750 and the D60 ~450.) Is eBay an appropriate site to buy expensive electronics though? I bought a USB mic over eBay, but it was 70 bucks, not 700.

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I would recommend spending the couple extra hundred bucks and just getting the D80 or D90. They are easy to use and learn, plenty of varieties of lenses and so on.

My main concern when i was looking for my first DSLR was speed, color, and the type of memory card required. Compact flashes are a pain in the ass in my opinion. Not many things are compatible with them. So the Nikons SD cards were great. Clear crisp color while taking multiple shots were a definite plus.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rdmlegend wrote: »
    I would recommend spending the couple extra hundred bucks and just getting the D80 or D90. They are easy to use and learn, plenty of varieties of lenses and so on.

My main concern when i was looking for my first DSLR was speed, color, and the type of memory card required. Compact flashes are a pain in the ass in my opinion. Not many things are compatible with them. So the Nikons SD cards were great. Clear crisp color while taking multiple shots were a definite plus.

Hey, thanks for a quick response.

Yeah I looked at the D90s but they seem to be more on the expensive side. Bestbuy gets you a Canon T1i with a kit lense and an additional 55-200 (I think) mm lens for ~1100 while the D90 costs slightly more with just the kit lense.

Also, according to dpreview.com, the picture quality difference between the D5000 and D90 is really minimal, almost indistinguishable.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Also, according to dpreview.com, the picture quality difference between the D5000 and D90 is really minimal, almost indistinguishable.

If they got the same sensor this might be true. Also, that test is made in daylight simulation. Ie. ISO 200 and perfect lighting.
    There could be differences when lightning conditions are less than perfect and a higher ISO number is needed.
    I compared my D60 with a friend's D90. The D90 was capable of taking higher iso's with less grain which means a better picture.

If you don't need a camera right now I'd save up for a D90.

I know nothing about Canons... except that the 5D Mark II rocks.

edit: oh and don't forget about used cameras... you can get a full sensor house for the price of a new DX house.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nikon and canon is like mac and pc, sega and nintendo!

Personally I'm a nikon man. I'd go with one that does nice video and has a good weight to it. Nothing worse than a light camera for giving you crap shots.

also, eBay is fine for this kind of stuff.

The D60 is a bit flimsy and tiny for my liking - also it doesn't shoot HD video, which one day you will be kicking yourself over.
    Also it only goes up to 3200 iso, even my 9 year old D1 can do that. The higher the iso, the more often you can take pictures like this: (no flash)

iso_punkers.jpg

I agree, save up for the D90. The D60 is so lacklustre in features you'll soon be kicking yourself that you wasted your money on such a dog egg.

The D90 can go up to 6400 iso and shoots 24fps HD video. Thats a lot of difference for $200 extra
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    If I was buying these days I'd get the D90, however the D60 I have is great, even with the stock lenses. In fact I'd be more inclined to buy a 50mm prime lens for my D60 before I upgraded the body.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I love my D60. The low ISO blows, as do a few other things. But for the price I've really enjoyed it. My next camera will be the d90 I believe. I want that HD video. The d60 was a good model to start with for me. Shrug. In retrospective, I should have saved another $200 and went with the D90. Live and learn.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It's actually the reverse. Nikon is objectionably worse at high ISO than the canon counterparts, other than the d700 and d3, which are (expensive) only marginally better than their canon counterparts. All entry level cameras, the canon's have more dynamic range and less noise at high isos. That said, the d90 is supposed to be good.

I will recommend against most people's suggestions, but since I'm very heavily into both taking photos often and studying gear and tech, I think my opinion should count more. :-)

Get a used Canon 20D with a 28mm 2.8, and a 50mm 1.8 for around 500 USD. It will provide awesome image quality, really help you learn the basics of photography, and it's a higher end camera than entry level, but it's cheap because it's old. It's still a great camera though.

Any problems you have with your images as a beginner are 99% because of your lack of skill, and 1% lack of better equipment. And since you can practice on almost any camera with manual controls, go cheap, learn the craft, then upgrade when you are sure where you need it. (using the universal you, not aiming this at a particular person)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 stopped down to 2.8 are so much sharper than any kit lens for any camera it's a stupid exercise in futility to even attempt the comparison.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    How about the Olympus E520 SLR. Exactly what you are looking for entry level on a very very reasonable price.
    I got the 510 like 2 years ago and I am very happy with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564508-REG/Olympus_262086_E_520_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

I would get this one instead of something a bit better but second hand at least you have the warranty. No question that would not be as good as Canon or Nikon but for the price it is a great deal and as it was already said at the beginning most of the issues would be caused from not enough knowledge( as in my case) then to bad equipment. This one also comes with another set of lens 40-150 I could not find it right now but the price is still very low :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I second the 28mm/50mm primes. Just having those in your bag will keep you so versitile on day to day shooting. And they are easy to carry around. The kit lens looses so much detail it's not even funny, well it is kinda funny, but not ha-ha funny. And when you get these on a full frame DSLR, on man, it's like a whole new world.

**Poop, my kid keeps saying "Look, there's that green ugly face man." every time he see's your avatar.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Nikon D50. I bought it a while back, and still love it! I have a few kits for it, and it shoots great photos. I really want to upgrade to a Nikon that shoots HD video. That would be sweet.

Nikon FTW! :) Can not help with which one though. :P
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also keep in mind that if you do want to get serious about photography, you are buying into a system, and no one has the lenses that Canon and Nikon do. If you're ok with getting a body and a kit lens and shooting with that forever, sure go any brand, but if you imagine yourself slowly adding lenses as you get more into it, don't look at anything but Canon and Nikon. I personally would switch to Canon from Nikon even if I'd started Nikon because 35mm is my most used lens, and the canon 35mmL blows all other 35mm lenses out of the water (in dslrs). Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. You might find that the lens for you is a 100-400mm for birding or airshows, and Olympus/Panasonic/Sony just don't have the lenses like that, that Canon/Nikon do. Same with Fisheye's, and super wide aperture prime lenses.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I just bought a Canon T1i (500D overseas) and am very happy with it. It's a solid starter DSLR and shoots HD Video. I'm used to the Canon UI, which is why I went that way. I'm going to pick up one of these cheap but solid 50mm lenses (effectively 80mm on the smaller sensor in the T1i) [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IHRTP0N5ZZYHO&colid=1AQWEX2VMNAAX]link[/ame]. After that I will be set for what I'm going to use it for (mostly shots of the family), all for under $600 total.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I guess it depends on how in-depth into photography you want to get, too. My D40 does everything I need (pics for remembrance, texture photos). If you want to get more professional, I'd take poops advice for sure.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow guys, thanks for so much input! :D

Poop, you're right about inexperience. I have actually wanted an SLR for a long time but I convinced myself that it's just me being bad and not the camera. Even now I am not 100% sure I really need one, so in the end I might not end up getting anything at all haha.

Massive thanks to all for noting the difference in sharpness for kit/primes. I had no clue, and I just stumbled across this and you're all right - the kit lens aren't sharp at all when compared to primes.

I have a question about this actually, it seems there are plenty of 50mm primes but I can't seem to find 28mm's at all. I think I just misunderstood what you meant, me being a newbie and all.

Vassago brought up a good point. I don't plan (not yet at least) to be a photo-pro. I don't know where I will end up in the future, though. I am majoring in astrophysics and of course staring at stars is what I will commonly do. Later on I am required to take a course in practical astronomy, and I skimmed over some of the material of last year's class and it seems they learn a lot of optics and a bit of general photography. So who knows, maybe some day I'll be given the spark of PhotoPro wannabe-ism.

EDIT: I should add that now I am considering getting a body-only of whatever camera I choose in the end, and then getting the primes. But this made me remember that D40/D60/D5000 require an Autofocus in the lens (I think) so it kinda limits the lens choice.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, price went up, it's 250 bux, but it's really a sharp lens, even wide open: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12096-GREY/Canon_2505A002_Wide_Angle_EF_28mm.html

The thing with less expensive cameras is that they are crop sensors, meaning they don't see the full projected circle, so you have to multiply a lens mm focal length by 1.6 (canon) 1.5 (nikon) or 2x (olympus). 50mm is so popular because the lenses are easy to make very quality, they don't have to contort the light much like shorter or longer length lenses, AND (this is the important bit) the way they show angles, field of view, and size relationships is how the human eye perceives things. 50mm lens images just "look" right to us, whereas wider tends to look unnatural, and longer tends to look flattened. But to get a 50mm equivalent on these cheaper crop bodies, you need a 28-30mm. (other than olympus where you need a 24mm).

You don't need to "go pro" to do a good purchase. It's basically if you want to be serious at all besides just a quality jump in image quality from a point/shoot. Mid level canon and nikons, like the 20d and 40d I recommended, will give you a ton of control to learn photography, as well as upgradability. The e520 is a great camera, but it's more limited in terms of how much you can grow. You wouldn't keep a canon 20d or 40d if you went pro (most likely not anyway) but you would keep most of your lenses whn moving to a more pro body. Right now the only 3 systems with full frame options to move up to are Canon, Nikon and Sony.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely agree that with the Olympus that I got I am very limited :), I would only recommend it for it's great price and just for the beginning of the trip. Even now when sometimes I think of upgrade I wish I got something else so I don't have to get everything from the beginning. :)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, rather than figure out your body first, figure out your budget, and try to narrow your shooting goals, and try to cram as much usable equipment into that. If you spend your whole budget on a body and get a crap kit lens, you're way behind the guy who buys a body 1-2 generations old and nice lenses
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of a bump, and once again when I'm cold and tired.

I've been looking at more and more stuff, and tbh I find it impossible to decide. All of the camera are so appealing, but the cons sound bad, and in the end I don't really know what I want. It's like that riddle Liebnitz came up with, about a perfectly rational god and space uniformity. If space (and time, although the concept of spacetime wasn't thought of yet in Liebnitz's time) is truly uniform, then for a perfectly rational god there is no reason to create a universe here or there - it's all the same so how can he decide?

I decided to simply go and touch and hold things, and see what fits best and what I like best. I'm gonna do that tomorrow, after I bomb my last final. But the general consensus I've decided upon is getting a body-only and getting those 50mm primes that sell for ~150 uni-gel for whatever brand I end up getting.

The only problem I see with this is that if I understand correctly, I won't be able to take macro shots properly with only a 50mm, so having the kit lens doesn't seem such a bad thing.

The last question for tonight - do you guys have any recommendations for books or the like to get to know the basics of photography? Or do you guys think it's better to discover everything by myself by means of trail and error and experimenting? I guess I could find a pretty good online guide but I hate reading text on monitors, besides I can always take the book with me to wherever I go.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea. I went to the store and hold every camera in my hand to see how it feels. Makes big difference from just looking at it on the screen, then again I don't know how important that could be because that might lead you to one camera just because it feels more comfortable and that could just make you even more confused. I would be actually interested as well if anybody recommend a good book for beginners.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely buy "Understanding Exposure" Single best photography book hands down.

2nd, you can get cheap extension tubes that allow you to focus closer with your same lens for pseudo Macro. I have the canon brand one which is a little more expensive, but there are chinese ebay ones for super cheap. It goes between your lens and the camera and has no glass in it. All it changes is how close you can focus. This photo uses a normal 85mm lens with a 25mm extension tube.

3204084124_51fc98157d_o.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I personally love my Pentax K200,wonderful DSLR camera. Its not the mainstream choice for people but it has a few really good advantages over Nikons and Canons.

- Sturdy stainless steel frame which resists alot of wear and tear.

-Weather sealed,i can take pictures in all sorts of weather conditions with good results.

- Double A batteries, seemed like a bad idea but since i travel often i sometimes need replacement betteries and in 5 minutes i can have more juice with a visit to a local kiosk.

- Cheap,cheap lens. Pentax cameras have mounts which allow you to buy and use lens from older non DSLR pentax cameras. You can go on ebay and find tons of cheap older lenses which work as well as newer ones. No auto focus though.

3282227641_5630663143.jpg

All in all a wonderful Camera to begin shooting with as an amateur DSLR user.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    pentax's lens prices have shot through the roof within this year tho. lenses i bought in early 2009 are now almost double the price, sheesh. second the recommendation to look at this brand tho since there's a nice selection of quality lenses out there for it and plenty of compatible thirdparty-ones to choose from as well, old and new, all shapes and sizes. i like the wide-angle pancake's the most. crisp images and the lighter and smaller, the better for me.

i'd recommend a look at the K-x which seems to get good reviews for image quality. i've got the K-7 personally tho but that's a different league of camera body and not beginner-friendly.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, Poop, I didn't think this would happen, but it seems that I might actually end up getting a 20D. There's a used one at B&H, and I am going to be in NY for about 10 hours so I might pop-in and if the condition is good enough I'll get it.

I went to the store today, to hold stuff, and I almost bought a D90 with some accessories for about 1500. I know that for a pro photographer that isn't much of a price, but being a novice and all it really hurt to spend so much money on something which I might not end up using as often as I want to right now. So then I really contemplated ditching everything and getting a good ol' Rebel XSi for about 600. I didn't, though, since I knew I was going to be in NY anyways, and the prices are cheaper there.

When I got home I accidentally stumbled across Ken Rockwell's XSi review, and right in the intro he says that if you can - get the 20D or 30D since they are just better at a lower pixel count. I then tried B&H for 30D in the used department (I looked for 20Ds when you first mentioned them, but only at amazon and ebay, but I haven't tried B&H) and found the 20D for 270 dollars body only. And I just gave up. Coupled with the two primes you guys recommended, the 50mm and the 28mm, the total goes to 600 dollars - in CDN dollars pretty much exactly the amount the XSi costs.

I think I am finally done with this guys. Thanks to all who helped, I'll be having more questions later on when I actually try taking pictures. :D

I just sincerely hope that Murphy's laws don't come tumbling after me and the camera won't be there, or maybe I won't have time to find the store. Since Murphy was right about just about everything that has happening to me in the last days, I think the odds are high. But I hope.

EDIT: oh, and I'll have to find Compactflash to PCMCA (or w/e it's called) convertor for my laptop which I am taking with me.

Well, what do you fucking know...it's closed on Saturdays....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking into a used canon 350D(rebel XT), recommendations on lenses? I'm looking for something in the $100-150 range with IS, i dont know a whole lot about lenses, so is it possible to get something at all decent?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would probably be the newer stock EF-S lenses that have IS on them. My personal take on IS is that it messes with my focus speed and I hate that when time is not on my side (never is).

The two lenses Poop had mentioned are good bits of glass to start out with.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's possible to get one of the kit lenses that has IS for around 100, no idea how good they are though. that's like the extreme low limit for lenses, only a handful fall into that price category. The only lens with good optical quality in that range is the 50mm 1.8
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    I picked up a canon 28-135 IS for dirt cheap on ebay - it was a refurb, but seemed perfectly okay. Not the greatest lens in the world but was really useful for me.
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Rebel XS and it works great. I got mine from Henry's and guess what, they are having a sale for it right now :D

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ItemsDisplay?storeId=10001&storeId=10001&mrktInitiativeId=3946&departmentId=10404&mrktInitName=Canon+Rebel+XS_091221&categoryId=10429&itemID=243199&catalogId=10001&ddkey=DisplayInitiative

If your wondering about the quality of the camera, check it my bro's flickr account (his photography isn't amazing or anything since he just started a 3 months ago)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wajahatsyed
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, my main reason for wanting IS is that i dont have the steadiest of hands, so coming from only really using compact point and shoot cameras it seems like a must. However is it just not really as a big of a deal with a decent SLR? I really dont know shit about lenses
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Image stabilization is always nice to have even on a decent SLR.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind that IS only gives you around 3 stops, meaning if you could take an unblurry image hand held at 1/60, IS would let you go down 1/30, 1/15, 1/8. However if it's a cheap as shit kit lens, it might start at 3.5, and 1.8 is around 2 stops faster than that.

IS is nice, but I've never owned any lenses with it. I prefer large aperture prime lenses that just let in my light. Keep in mind that IS only steadies your hands, it does nothing for fast moving subjects. At 1/8, any movement at all will show up as blurriness.

If you really want IS, go with Sony bodies, which have IS built into the body, so any lens you get will automatically have it. Canon and Nikon you have to pay extra for lenses with it built in.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben, can you explain that to me again but just assume i have no clue what you're talking about, what "stops" are and the relevance, what the 3.5, 1.8, 1/8th etc numbers mean. I keep reading about this stuff and all these numbers and fractions have my head spinning a bit.

Is the general Jist of what you're saying IS lenses will require a longer exposure, thus negating the benifit of having an IS lense in the first place? And if so, is that like, that cheap IS kit lense compared to another cheap lense without IS, or compared to a nice, expensive lense?

I'm not worried about fast moving stuff etc, just the shaky hands, and i think i would really prefer to go with a Canon as well, i havent looked into sony's but i assume inbody IS would = out of my budget, of course it makes sense in the long term if all of my lenses are cheaper, but i'm a bit of a noob getting my first SLR and i dont think i should start worrying about extra lenses etc quite yet(as my wife will likely kill me just for this purchase alone).

Now, I've found that EOS 350D(8mp Rebel XT) + that cheap IS lense for about $390 shiped from keh.com, but that is used and i can get a 10 MP Rebel XS new with the same lense(which seems to be stock on newer Rebels), for about $450 shipped newegg. I'm thinking it might be smarter to get the new camera, but i dont know how the XS matches up to the XT, but it seems like they are very similar.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To make a properly exposed image you have to get a good ratio of these three things:
    ISO: sensativity, higher is more sensative to light (800 vs 200) but introduces more noise, and less dynamic range.
    Aperture: Larger apertures (represented by smaller numbers, 1.4 is larger than 2.8 ) let in more light at once.
    Shutter speed: length of time sensor is exposed. Longer shutter speeds cannot freeze movement, and slow enough and your hand shake will be evident.

IS only helps with shutter speed. And cheap IS lenses have smaller maximum apertures, negating that IS. You can get IS on fast lenses ( 2.8 ) but you will pay out the nose for it.

ISO 1600, f/1.8, and 1/60 of a second is the same exposure as iso 1600, f/4, 1/15. (traded aperture for shutter speed). 1/60 is enough to negate hand shake and freeze normal movements (not running or quick movements though). 1/15 with IS would steady your hands, but 1/15 would show almost any movement in the subject (even lifting a beer glass, casual turning of the head, etc.

Canon makes a 50mm 1.8 which is about 75 dollars and it owns (I use it). the only lens you can get with IS for under 100 is the cheap kit lens, and it has a sliding 4-5.6 aperture (meaning it's only f/4 at widest, and as you zoom it locks down to 5.6 at the long end). So at 50mm it's going to be more like 4.5 or f/5 lens which completely negates the IS advantage over the cheapo 50mm.

Many people get the kit (cheapo body + cheapo lens) and add the 50mm since it's so daggone cheap. For comparison my 85mm 1.8 was 400 dollars, and my 35mm 1.4 was 1,100 dollars. It makes the 50mm look like a real bargain. Both lenses are much sharper at the low apertures than the 50, and the 50 is plastic vs their metal bodies, with slower noisier autofocus, but it's nice.

Another thing to remember, is that the autofocus works off the lens aperture. Larger apertures enable better focusing in low light. Without the flash providing AF assist, an f/4 lens is not gonna get focus in a lowly lit bar, whereas the 50mm 1.8 would.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poopinmymouth this is a lot of great info here. Now everything starts to become a bit more clear to me too. :)
    Thanks
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthquake - If you're worried about shaky hands, get a battery grip with two batts. The extra weight will make the shakes go away. Also, if you got huge hands, the grip makes holding these cameras more comfy. If you still got the shakes, then carry a flask with gin, will calm you down. The first three lower end Canon DSLR's come with the IS lens.

I figure a lot of people are visual, here is something that might help:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben, thank you very much, that is wonderful info. Do you happen to have a link to your cheap 50mm lense?
  • Tactical Bagpipe
    If you get a tripod. Don't cheap out, you'll only regret it when it didn't come with a quick-release plate, it is too heavy, has a crappy ball head that won't stay in place with that long zoom etc. etc.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    If you get a tripod. Don't cheap out, you'll only regret it when it didn't come with a quick-release plate, it is too heavy, has a crappy ball head that won't stay in place with that long zoom etc. etc.

QFT. My tripod is shite. I bought a cheap one. I'll spend £100 a secondhand one next time.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    To oversimplify: ISO is noise, Aperture is depth, Shutter speed is blur. Changing one means you need to adjust one of the others to get the same exposure, but the camera can do that for you.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, everything has gone up since last I checked. It's 100 dollars, but honestly it's the best lens for dollar you can get for any system (all the systems have a cheap, sub-f/2 50mm)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261608985&sr=8-1
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob wrote: »
    To oversimplify: ISO is noise, Aperture is depth, Shutter speed is blur. Changing one means you need to adjust one of the others to get the same exposure, but the camera can do that for you.

True, but while it might make me sound like a snob, I recommend anyone wanting to really get into photography park that dial on M and learn how to use the meter. Understanding Exposure (the book I recommended) goes a long way toward this.

The reason is that different situations will put a priority on different settings, and knowing exactly what each does and how to trade one for another will put you ahead in the long run.

I only use P now when I'm using my camera as a glorified party snap camera.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I am looking into a dslr and after readings bens posts a 20d looks very attractive. One of the best things about using an old 70's camera like the om-1 is everything is manual so you have no choice but to learn how to shoot pictures.
    Sometimes I feel point and shoot cameras have been the death of actual photos.

Anyone know if there would be a mount for om-1 to canon lens? as I have two smexy d.zukio 50 and 28 prime lens (plus the standar 35-75mm which I dont really use) and it would be a crime not to carry on using them.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen FD to EF, but the trade off is you loose a couple of stops and go full manual. Full manual on these cameras is not a problem, but you don't have the focus crystals in the viewfinder.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canon EOS mount has a really narrow flange distance, I don't know if you can mount Olympus lenses on it. You should try cameraquest though, they have a lot of adaptors.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    It looks like I could get an adapter for the 20d which is very awesome, just have to find a camera to go with it ha! Before then I have an Australian trip to fund so its not high on the list but one day, one day.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    just a few words on taking pictures

when you set your fstop you set it depending on the effect you want. The shutter speed setting will be determined by the light meter. The camera will tell you if the image is averaged, underexposed or overexposed. I say averaged because when the camera says the picture has the perfect amount of light coming into the lens the result is an average picture, you don't get enough contrast between the whites and blacks. That all depends on what you want though, what kind of drama you want to create. So to punch this a bit you can bracket, try over and under exposing the image by one or two settings and usually you get the image with the range you want. You also need to bracket when something is to bright, like say the sky, water, snow because they will through off the light meter. So when the camera tells you it has the perfect amount of light coming it's usually the starting point.

The higher the number of the fstop, say 8 for example, the smaller the aperture is(hole that controls the amount of light that enters the camera). The size of aperture also affects how in focus things stay as they go away from the camera. So a small aperture 8 or higher, keeps everything in the background nice and sharp but a large aperture like say 3.5 would have a low depth of field, which means the background gets blurry really quickly. This is true provided your subject is in focus. :D

shutter speed setting. You usually set this high when you want to capture a fast moving object or when it really freaking sunny. Again you set these things depending on how you want the picture to look. Also if you need to leave the shutter open, like if you are taking pictures at night or low light situation then you set the speed really low. Depending on what you are doing the setting of the aperture follows.

I usually set my fstop first, think of it as modeling for texture purposes. :D So you set your shutter speed depending on what the light meter tells once you have set your fstop.

When do you need a tripod. If the shutter speed is too slow or the aperture is too big, lower than 5.6 if I remember correctly. Or the lens you are using is a zoom lens. I don't know if this applies to macro lens as well.

The other thing that affect your picture is the size of your lens. I think a 50 mm lens is supposed to be the closest to how your eye sees and distorts things in perspective. With a wide angle lens things start to warp at the edges although you can capture a wide area and the higher the number say 100 mm you can focus on something that is distant but you can't fit a lot into the frame.

This info is fairly crude though and I'm very rusty. I'm sure there is a lot more to it and I probably forgot a few things. :D

One of the things I do when I take pictures with my digital camera and I'm inside a building is I set the timer and place the camera on something that is firm like a book case , desk and then push the button. That way I can't mess the picture up with my body movement. You can also lean against the wall and keep your arms tight against your body to diminish your body from shaking. The ideal thing though is to have a tripod, regardless of where you are taking the pictures.

Do you guys know if you can buy a release ( long cable with a button) like you can for a manual camera? That way you are not touching the camera when you take the picture.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you guys that use these prime lenses, whats it like? I mean, i dont think i've ever had a camera that didnt have some form of zoom on it, so the idea of a fixed focal length lens seems quite strange to me. Having said that, i dont really use the zoom a whole lot. Are there extra stuff you can stick on to "zoom" with a prime lens? Like those macro kits etc?

Also, what is the crop factor with a lens like that 50mm on a standard dslr? Like what sort of amount are you "zoomed in" if its a fixed length.

Reading about it the most attractive feature with that 50mm prime lens is the high aperture and the ability to have the narrower depth of field, which is something i really want to play with. But it seems like you'de be a little more limited overall with a prime lense?

Also i went and messed with a Rebel XS at office depot today, just playing around with the IS kit lens etc, i found it was pretty hard to take decent shots without the IS, but the lowest i could set it to was like f3.5 or something, and this 50mm is f1.8. So basically it comes down to zoom flexibility over depth of field/shoot speed, when comparing those to lenses, and i think the 50mm probably wins out(i wish i had a change to play with one before i decide).
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Many people recommend starting of with a prime as your first lens, it gets you to move around more which will (hopefully) have you thinking about composition rather than *Zoom *shoot

actual crop factor is dependent on the body: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C but a 50mm turns into roughly 75mm

Yeah a prime limits you but you're going to have better image quality most of the time, there should be less elements of glass the light is going through so less chance for chromatic abberation, vignetting etc....

I only have 1 prime right now and it's a nikkor 35mm F2 and it's nice, not as fast as a 1.4 or 1.8 but it works... and the 35mm on my crop sensory turns into what would be 50mm on a full frame.

I think it's awesome there's so much interest in photography, It really gets you to thinking about light and exposure and will certainly give you skills that translate to games. Yeah it seems a little technical at first but it's not that bad once it clicks :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    Do you guys know if you can buy a release ( long cable with a button) like you can for a manual camera? That way you are not touching the camera when you take the picture.
    Yes, you can. You can also make one. I bought the high end Canon one and then modded it to work with the mini-plug adapter, this way you can set a timer/time-lapse.

I was gonna get ready and snap some nice pictures today when my camera refused to turn on. I usually put it in a room to get it used to the temp I am gonna shoot in (so there is no condensation). I just hope it wasn't too cold/killed my batts.