Author : AneeshaRode

Old (#1)
Okay, it's been a while. Here's a new project of mine.

I'm using a Squaresoft concept painting as a springboard to experiment with simple, clean textures and parallax mapping! (but not overboard ).

Pretty cool. Now, I just started learning Sandbox 2 this last weekend, since UT3 just wasn't cutting it. So, here's a couple test props in Sandbox:

Lamp ~ 1600 tri -- 256X512
Barrel ~ 320 tri -- 256X256
Statue ~ 1600 tri -- 256X512
Sign ~ 900 tri -- 256X256
Enviro Sheets -- 512X512

Tell me what you think needs improving. Otherwise I'm just going to use this as a WIP thread as things come along. Also, I have two monitors now, and for the first time color/contrast accuracy is hazy. Anyone use a colorimeter ? (the difference between my two monitors is pretty crazy)
Offline , spline, 198 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009,  

Old (#2)
Are you handpainting it all of it or you are mixing photo source? I recommend having diff variations on the lamp post- one bent and other straight, just like the concept. This indeed is an awesome concept. I might do it in the future :P hoping to see more!
Offline , triangle, 309 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009,  

Old (#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazvix View Post
Are you handpainting it all of it or you are mixing photo source? I recommend having diff variations on the lamp post- one bent and other straight, just like the concept. This indeed is an awesome concept. I might do it in the future :P hoping to see more!
Thanks for the advice, the multiple lamp instances is a great idea.

I'm using a mix between high poly modeling and sculpting on top of some hand-painting. It'll be tricky to get clean. There are still some crisp seams I wish I could remove, but such is the state of current normal mapping technology.

Old (#4)
I'd try and stick with a basic color palette for your assets as a lot of the colors can be unified with the lighting. Colors/Brightness/Contrast look fine on my screen right now.

This piece should be awesome, given you pull it off
Will Kowach - Shogun3d
-Lead Environment Artist
- Phosphor Games
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,326 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Chicago, IL  

Old (#5)
Wow good start cycloverid! I really like the cobble stone texture you made, and the wood sign is starting to look pretty pimp!
Red Dye #5 is not an essential nutrient.
Offline , triangle, 257 Posts, Join Date Oct 2007, Location London, Ontario.  

Old (#6)
Lookin really nice, the pavers could use a bit more color variation like you have in the walls. Out of curiosity, do you know what the concept was for?

Edit: Looks like from the name of the file it was a chocobo's dungeon game.
Offline , spline, 142 Posts, Join Date Apr 2008, Location New Jersey  

Old (#7)
sweet
i would keep the diffuse clean and as simple as poss for now, get the environment worked up with shaders then see how much you need to add
principal lighting artist @ r*north
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,524 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location edinburgh  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloverid View Post
Thanks for the advice, the multiple lamp instances is a great idea.

I'm using a mix between high poly modeling and sculpting on top of some hand-painting. It'll be tricky to get clean. There are still some crisp seams I wish I could remove, but such is the state of current normal mapping technology.
Why exactly do you habe those seams, got any closeups for us? maybe it can be solved :3
Online , polygon, 673 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location Germany  

Old (#9)
Looking good so far, cant wait to see more!
Offline , line, 81 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Derbyshire. U.K  

Old (#10)
I'm loving this stuff, can't wait to see some progress!
Matthew Heyman
Portfolio
Twitter

Offline , triangle, 458 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Irvine, CA Send a message via AIM to mheyman  

Old (#11)
I'm just going to post up a in-editor paintover. As I'm fleshing out details, it'd be nice to get a little feedback.

The terrain editor in Crysis is giving me problems, so that isn't showing up for now. The final cropping will be different, as I haven't figured out how to adjust a camera while looking through it. The red lines indicate some composition changes.

This is a big ass scene, so I've got my work cut out for me! I'll probably post up some props, as soon as I get a few more done.

Edit: I need to figure out something in terms of getting a higher res shot. Perhaps adjusting my monitor to portrait instead of landscape for the screen-cap. The perspective in the concept art is crazy, and I'm going to try to get some of that nice curvature in the models.

Last edited by cycloverid; 12-16-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old (#12)
Looking good.

-Buddikaman
Offline , triangle, 307 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#13)
Great work, keep it up.

I love the sort of pastel colour palette going on in the concept art. If you can manage to get this vibe going in your editor it'd be nice!

Can't wait to see some more textures.
Marc-Antoine Hamelin, Sr. Environment Artist
Eidos Montréal
Portfolio | LinkedIn
Offline , line, 75 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location Montreal  

Old (#14)
Looking cool
I'm feeling nostalgic, lol
Offline , triangle, 384 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009,  

Old (#15)
woooowww.... this is awesome, keeping an eye on this one for sure!
Jason Lavoie
Ubisoft Toronto - Modeller
Linkedin | The Game Dev Cast | Enviro Wiki
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,493 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#16)
Here's a question for you. On the face of the buildings are those floaters? (the windows doors molding etc)

And 2nd.....
not to thread jack, but what are the pros and cons of having floaters in the game engine vs a continuous mesh?
Offline , polygon, 528 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Southern California Send a message via AIM to PhattyEwok  

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattyEwok View Post
Here's a question for you. On the face of the buildings are those floaters? (the windows doors molding etc)

And 2nd.....
not to thread jack, but what are the pros and cons of having floaters in the game engine vs a continuous mesh?
Quite a bit of the geo is floating atm. Some of the struts running up the buildings aren't. There aren't many downsides to using floating geo, it just saves time modeling. Your UV's will be cleaner if you keep it manifold, but for tileable stuff like this it isn't a problem.

Funny that you should ask this though. These particular props, if given a deformer to get some of that nice curvature going, might not deform correctly with the floating geo I have. It will have to be done carefully.

Old (#18)
You are owning this dude!
draw without greed
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,993 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location california Send a message via ICQ to killingpeople Send a message via AIM to killingpeople Send a message via MSN to killingpeople Send a message via Yahoo to killingpeople Send a message via Skype™ to killingpeople  

Old (#19)
Well this is a pretty pathetic update, but I'm thinking about opening up the scene a bit horizontally, so it isn't so vertical. I spent a good number of days figuring out the terrain editor (which I probably won't need) and playing with the clouds (can only edit by hand with xml?). There is so little documentation on sandbox2!

Too much empty space? It'll be a good day when I can stop blobbing paint on my update images!

Things are going to be a lot smoother now though.

Edit: Oh, and have a good laugh at the tri-count. Incidentally, my scene is only about 60k right now. That's sandbox for you.

Last edited by cycloverid; 12-23-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old (#20)
Really great stuff. Super inspiring and I can't wait to see the end result.
Matthew Heyman
Portfolio
Twitter

Offline , triangle, 458 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Irvine, CA Send a message via AIM to mheyman  

Old (#21)
Very nice! Inspiring.
Offline , null, 8 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Vancouver Island  

Old (#22)
This looks something out of Flyff, sweet work. Keep it up!
Offline , spline, 185 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009, Location India  

Old (#23)
Shots for review are useless without seeing some wires. Let's see how you're making these assets as well as the scene itself.

I would try and nail your composition early before you dress the scene. Right now you're running with a pretty standard (read: safe) composition. This scene could get a lot of attitude from something a bit more dynamic (tilted camera, higher FOV, closer to the ground, etc. etc. All things you could try.) I wouldn't mimic the concepts view of this town, but instead use it as a basis for your building designs (which you have) then give us a whole new perspective on this area of town.

As for multiple streetlamps/variance in props: You could easily make 1 lamp that has a bend in it, and rotate it with each new instance that is placed. This way you'll end up with some straight, some bent, and all looking different - all while using one asset.

Are you going to fill out the left side (our left) of the building farthest to the left or keep it opened like that? If you rotate the camera to our right a bit, you could skip making new art for that and have that building (or tree) be what blocks the view past the little town here.
Offline , Administrator, 8,956 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  

Old (#24)
looks great.
really interested in individual asset shots
Offline , polycounter, 926 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009,  

Old (#25)
yea this is lookin lovely : )
Offline , polygon, 614 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location UK ! Send a message via MSN to Razorb