Old (#1)
Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post a tutorial at. I remember seeing a Tutorials thread buy i couldn't find it.

Anyways I just finished this tutorial Series. It's 7 Parts long and goes over step by step on how i created my MMO Style Ice Effect. I realized during Post Production that I really didn't explain things that would have been explained in a Beginners Tutorial, so If yo don't know anything i suggest checking out 3DBuzz's stuff.

Here's the Intro for a preview

Tutorial Difficulty : Intermediate
Requirements : Familiarity with the UDK and Unreal Cascade

Introduction
Part 1 - Master Material Setup
Part 2 - Ground Mist
Part 3 - Rising Mist
Part 4 - Ice Spike Material
Part 5 - Ice Spike Setup
Part 6 - Ice Chunks
Part 7 - Ground Runes

You can find the Complete .rar file below which includes all 8 videos and the project files...

http://www.virtuosicstudios.com/Ice_...ctTutorial.rar

Enjoy guys :-)
A.K.A Virtuosic -- Demo Reel --

3DMotive Releases
Advanced Mesh Paint with UDK -- UDK Materials Part 1 --Tileable Textures in Zbrush

Technical Artist - Gearbox
Offline , polygon, 658 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Dallas, Texas  

Old (#2)
Awesome Virtuosic, this was probably my fav of your mmo effects so it should be cool to watch how you did it. Thanks for taking the time to make this .
Offline , polygon, 699 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Bellevue WA Send a message via AIM to nrek Send a message via MSN to nrek  

Old (#3)
this looks awesome thanks for putting it together ill download it and try it out tonight
Offline , triangle, 273 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location Seattle,WA Send a message via Skype™ to Dippndots  

Old (#4)
Thanks for sharing.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,419 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Malmö, Sweden  

Old (#5)
awsome!!! perfect timing! we have an assignment due this week to create our own particle effects! thanks!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,819 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#6)
Great work man!

Can't wait to watch it all!
Jason Lavoie
Ubisoft Toronto - Modeller
Linkedin | The Game Dev Cast | Enviro Wiki
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,481 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#7)
cool man, i was wondering how you did the runes, now i'll soon know. thanks for sharing dude!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,825 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Montreal  

Old (#8)
Great! Thanks for listening to my/our request and doing this man, will be trying it asap!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,900 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Stockholm, SE Send a message via MSN to Xoliul  

Old (#9)
Cool stuff man and thx for the hard work.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,646 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Lancashire, UK  

Old (#10)
Much appreciated, it looks fantastic. Thanks for your time and for sharing.
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Brighton UK  

Old (#11)
Thanks Virtuosic! Really cool of you to give away tutorials
Weapons Artist @ Crytek UK
www.edgesize.com » pedro amorim portfolio
blog.edgesize.com » digital playground
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,799 Posts, Join Date Mar 2005, Location Nottingham, UK Send a message via ICQ to Pedro Amorim Send a message via AIM to Pedro Amorim Send a message via MSN to Pedro Amorim Send a message via Skype™ to Pedro Amorim  

Old (#12)
No problem guys, it is my pleasure. After everything the polycount community has done for me I figured I'd try and give a little bit back. I hope that the tut isn't too hard to follow! I moved pretty fast and screen resolution wasn't the best. It'll be better next time I promise!

3DMotive Releases
Advanced Mesh Paint with UDK -- UDK Materials Part 1 --Tileable Textures in Zbrush

Old (#13)
Nice Ryan! You should post this on the udk documentation forums where I have been putting up my UDK tutorials

UDK Documentation section: http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=371

Last edited by Lee3dee; 11-23-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,276 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#14)
Awesome dude!!!
Offline , null, 5 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004,  

Old (#15)
Very nice, going to work through this today.
FX Artist @ Digital Extremes
Offline , spline, 143 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location London, ON  

Old (#16)
Thanks again guys...

I'm just curious if anyone has tried doing this yet... It's my first serious tutorial and was actually looking for some comments as to what i can improve.

Thanks

3DMotive Releases

Old (#17)
I just did it! I changed it up from what you had, but same principals. awsome tutorial!

might wanna remember what part you are working on though. haha! the first 3 parts you said "ok, ill see you in part 3" at the end of part 3. haha! good laugh. but no, the tutorial itself was goood! I had to play through a few parts a couple times though cause it went really fast. mainly the setting up the ice material.

question though. say i wanted to make the ice pop out in a circle. but not all over the place. say i wanted to do it in an o shape? nothing in the middle. is that possible?

also, if thats possible. is it possible to make them all point outwards? in a perfect circle?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,819 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#18)
Thanks slip

That's a good question, i know you could be able to make them appear in an O shape by using a Cylinder node and checking "Spawn on surface".. that would make sure that they spawned in the O shape you were looking for, you could just adjust the radius of the cylinder untill it was the way you wanted it. As for each of them pointing outwards, that's a different story... as of now i don't think there is any way to do that, but i'll tinker around with it and let you know.

3DMotive Releases

Old (#19)
Thats real generous of you ryan. I know how much goes into a tutorial (fuck its what i have to do at work for the next 3 months atleast) and kudos to you for finishing it and giving it away!
Show meh a wireframe, BITCH!
Offline , polycounter, 1,062 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location Pakistan  

Old (#20)
*presses imaginary thanks button*

It's just fantastic when people do things like this. Will come in handy for alot of people.
Offline , triangle, 324 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location Belgium  

Old (#21)
man thanks a bunch !!!

I'll let you know when I have time to play around with this
Offline , line, 97 Posts, Join Date Apr 2007, Location Seattle  

Old (#22)
OMG thanks I saw the youtube video but I didn't see a link to this page.
^^ thank you.
Offline , polygon, 656 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location AZ  

Old (#23)
Is there another place I can go to download this tutorial. The link appears to be dead
Offline , null, 1 Posts, Join Date Apr 2010,  

Old (#24)
Not trying to bump, but this looks like a great reference and the link has been dead for at least a month :-(

any news?
Offline , null, 1 Posts, Join Date Apr 2010, Location Dallas, TX  

Old (#25)
is it possible for someone to re-upload the rar file. I would like to check out his tutorial.
Offline , triangle, 490 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location US Send a message via Skype™ to kaze369