Home Technical Talk

Racetracks and Orges

Hey all
So I recently was accepted as a finalist to work on a very exciting game project. The project entails build several true to life race tracks circuits for a pc racing game. I haven't yet received all the details about the game but I wanted to do some advance research on the project and processes involved in creating such large meshes and their renderer.

One of the key features of this project is that they are using the Ogre rendering engine. http://www.ogre3d.org/. I have a little bit of experience producing some height, and detail maps for some stills that were done using this engine but have not done any game models for it.

I am wondering if anyone around here has any knowledge of/ with Ogre in this capacity? And if so, what are some of the things I should be aware of when creating meshes for it?

I don't need to do any textures. I am just creating the meshes and maybe some light uv work, so I don't need to get to indepth on the engine but I do need to be as aware of its processes and pitfalls.

The other area of concern is the size and scale of these models. Obviously I will need to make as many modular pieces as possible and keep it organized on layers and such. But I have not made a mesh of this size and magnitude before. What process or work flow, start to finish, would you use to successfully build this kind of mesh?

If anyone has any insight on either one of these areas I would very grateful.

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50426 i believe marsh monkey is making zero gear in ogre (i mays be wrong) maybe he can give you some tips if he aint too busy gettin this game off the ground
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The guys in Relic are as well. Torchlight used Orge. I know there one or two in here.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I have worked on multiple racing simulators. I would highly recommend building a track editor for two reasons.
    1) The road surfaces and the walls can be created with splines such that the engine can dynamically adjust the number of segments in the curve in front of you (also UVs are easily automated).
    2) You can use the editor to place track side objects without having to create a giant/difficult to update max scene.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks Rhino. I will read over his topic and blog and learn what I can. Hopefully either marsh monkey or some of the other guys that oxynary mention are kind enough to share their insight. I will look into those companies a bit and see what I can find out on my own, thanks oXYnary.

@AlecMoody - track editor you say.. Only off-handily familiar with such a thing, how would one go about building one or are there any pre-built ones? Maybe the team already has one since they have a few tracks already built, but building one sounds intriguing to me.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Zero gear (marshmonkey) just models the race track in maya and exports to ogre using the free tools available. You just need to make sure you set up your portal zones up correctly (if using that scene manager).

Although might I suggest checking out project aftershock they also use ogre but have built a track editor.

Their blog is probably your best bet for the information you need.
    http://liquidrockgames.blogspot.com/
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well very interesting read on their blog there, thx . I can certainly see the usefulness of a track editor, but it also made me realize that I don't think these guys are using one and also that I don't believe I posses the knowledge to build one. I think, from what i have seen so far, that they are building the entire scene in xsi and max and then exporting directly to Ogre.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    have you searched on the forums because I posted this link already several times:
    http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/

its a professional track editor with some useful tools. Though if you want to create something more unique look up some of the many track modeling tutorials.

I would have a look at the Ogre gallery and study some of the race game screenshots to get a feeling of what it can do.
    http://www.ogre3d.org/gallery/album/72157613447657691/Featured_Projects.html
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff there. Your always a wealth or info Renderhjs thanks. I have some reading to do now...
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So ya, don't know why I didnt think of searching the site..duh! But some decent info around here on ogre.
    I love that track editor you posted renderhjs, watched the videos on it and man does it look like a lot of fun. Wondering how much it is, I am sure it is well beyond my means though since you have to log in and stuff just to get to the pricing.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    in the FAQ it says:
    http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/faq.aspx
    How much is it?
    The price is AUD$79.95 - log in and follow the PayPal links to see what converts to in your local currency.
    (~ 74.297535 US$, I think it converted it for me since I am living in Australia). Which is imo. rather cheap but I don't know if you really need it though it is kind of super professional and very narrow to just what it does.
    But I really like many of the ideas he added to the package - definitely a nice editor inspiration. I myself would probably script some Tools in MaxScripts to build the tracks if it were more than just 1 track.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah that is fairly reasonable price, so not out of the realm of possibility. The only thing, that I get the impression that they are building real world track and trying to make it as accurate as possible to the actual track, and like you said its 8 tracks in total, so perhaps just doing them in max is better. Although my scripting skill are minimal at best.
    I am going to d/l their demo and fool around with it and see where I get.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yup would do the same, just toy with the app and watch all the videos about it - to get an idea on how to approach in general the task.
    Wasn't there a Polycount member here that worked for Turn 10 on Forza Motorsport 3? He wrote somewhere that they worked initially with Google earth images and later some other references to start shaping out the tracks. Maybe dig that up via a google search using
    site:boards.polycount.net
  • JasoB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bob's Track Builder is excellent, but there are two major flaws: terrible terrain feature and poor export options (only DirectX .X, which sucks).
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats not so nice, I expected some kind of OBJ, FBX or DAE export at least. Maybe someone can contact the developer and ask for that - I"d imagine its not such a hard work implementing that once the dev. knows how to write the file format.

I haven"t played with it yet but It would also be nice to able to import custom prefabs or meshes (trees, buildings, decoration stuff) - but then again that might be something to do in max or some other tool to finalize it.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I built tanks for an idie project. the best thing your team can do is use one of the example projects and figure out the size the objects should be, so you don't find yourself with objects so big inside the engine that don't show uphen you export from your 3d application. Once you figure things out it fairly easy to bring objects in.

For textures name the material the name of where the texture will be located in the game. For textures to show up in my project I had to name the material the relative path where the actual texture was found. If not you have to open the xml file and edit it. There might be other things you have to edit as well, but I forget.

Digital tutors made a tutorial on how to import things from XSI to ogre, and it covered everything including how to set up normal maps.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya that kinda of sucks. I think that pretty much rules it out, but its still a great tool. I will have fun playing around with it and making some of my own tracks.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    he he maybe try out some of those openGL or directX grabbers so grab the level from the view port of the tool and then export it to whatever you need.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, working out scale is one of my first concerns. If I get the project I'll ask for a current mesh and just match my scales to it. and thats good to know about file name and structure I will be sure to make myself a cheat sheet with the object and names.
    I will look on digital tutors for that tut.
    thx for the info!

and ill look and see what I can find for grabbers, but always leery of adding in extra export/conversion steps.