Old (#51)
oh snap, i will try that when i get outa borderlands
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,643 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#52)
Is there any way of getting some motion blur within the UDK editor without the game running in real-time? Trying to set up some still shots for the unearthly challenge, help appreciated
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,483 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location San Diego, CA  

Old (#53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinokey View Post
i'm runnin into an issue, i wanted to make a tileset of chunks to rough out my level with, then i can go back and update the meshes with more fleshed out pieces and then replace the ones that are in the rough, i am working on 12 foot chunks or 192 unitis, everything snaps well onto the grid, but after lighting most all of it has a black outline around where the tiles connect. am i doing something wrong? or will tilesets like this not light properly? the textures are all just constant 3's set to different color diffuses. each piece has 2uv channels with independant nontiling uv cords. each piece is se to light mat coordinate index 2 (i guess this makes it use the uv channel 2?) and resolution of 128

second isue. sometimes when i rotate around the wall pieces disapeer and reapear like they are loding out at the edge of my screen

I was trying to turn this off too because it looked really bad, and it took me awhile to figure it out. It's actually SSAO, I think, so it's not baked and you can turn it on/off with Allow Ambient Occlusion under Post Process settings either in World Info or in a Post Process Volume.
Offline , triangle, 293 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Bay Area, CA  

Old (#54)
still doin the same thing, in the world properties world info i set allow ambient oc to false but still doin the same thign. even messed witht he use subdivisions like at the bottom of this page http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html linked to me by cholden
i've discovered it i turn off light mass it works fine. but i want light mass..
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."

Old (#55)
Rhinokey:
Are your pieces cubes that you are just snapping together? Like, when you put one chunk together with another, do you have two faces meeting in between them?

If that's what you are doing, then you just need to delete those inner faces that are touching. Your light map is baking around the corner and giving you what looks like a seam.
It works fine with lightmass off, because it's more than likely just doing a vertex light and not baking the light maps.

Hope ya get it workin.
Offline , vertex, 26 Posts, Join Date May 2009,  

Old (#56)
Have you tried checking "Instanced Object" in the mesh's property? Not sure what it does but well, might be worth a try.
Thiago Klafke / Environment Artist
Portfolio - Linkedin - ArtStation

[UE4] Sampa
Offline , polycounter, 795 Posts, Join Date May 2007, Location Sao Paulo  

Old (#57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinokey View Post
nontiling uv cords. each piece is se to light mat coordinate index 2 (i guess this makes it use the uv channel 2?) and resolution of 128

second isue. sometimes when i rotate around the wall pieces disapeer and reapear like they are loding out at the edge of my screen
Unreal starts at 0 and max at 1.
Therefore max UV layout 2 = unreal layout 1.
Don't think that will solve your issue though, just something I picked up on.
VFX Artist
Showreel 2014
VFX Blog
Offline , polygon, 681 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location London, UK  

Old (#58)
@Rhinokey These sorts of seams are going to be near impossible to get rid of. They are inherent in UE3's GI solution. TBH, with texture you probably won't even see these. I would not fret about unlit mode (you won't sleep at night if you do) as there will be all kinds of subtle artifacts that simply won't show up once quality textures and materials are applied.

To alleviate some it, though this only works for areas where shadow detail is low, vertex light these (check on override light mas res and set the overridden res to 0).

-Tyler
---------------------------------------
3dmotive.com - www.TylerWanlass.com - Unearthly 2009
Offline , triangle, 442 Posts, Join Date Oct 2006, Location San Diego, CA  

Old (#59)
Anyone know if there's a way to desaturate the screen based on z-depth, maybe as a post-process effect?
I.e. things get less saturated the further away from the camera.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,657 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Lancashire, UK  

Old (#60)
Just tried using the tiledshot command with UDK but it doesn't seem to have it?? Anyone else having this issue?
www.carlocarfora.co.uk | My portfolio and blog
Offline , polygon, 653 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location London, UK  

Old (#61)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark View Post
Anyone know if there's a way to desaturate the screen based on z-depth, maybe as a post-process effect?
I.e. things get less saturated the further away from the camera.
sure its possible

create a posteffect, load it up on start, add a material use the alpha of an scene texture as your mask for desaturation (the alpha is the zbuffer), thats it, very simple
bonus vir semper tiro.

Steffen 'Neox' Unger
It's Airborn Baby!

freelance 3d artist
for hire
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,198 Posts, Join Date Sep 2006, Location Berlin Germany Send a message via ICQ to Neox  

Old (#62)
anyone know how to get a post process volume to show in editor? it works when i test play but not in the editor.
Portfolio <- under construction
Offline , triangle, 488 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Albany, NY Send a message via AIM to BlackulaDZ Send a message via Skype™ to BlackulaDZ  

Old (#63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackulaDZ View Post
anyone know how to get a post process volume to show in editor? it works when i test play but not in the editor.
There's a "G" on the viewport tabs for "Game View".
Lamont G.- Environment Artist - UbiSoft Osaka
CGBYLG.com
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,607 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Japan Send a message via MSN to Lamont  

Old (#64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedev View Post
@Rhinokey These sorts of seams are going to be near impossible to get rid of. They are inherent in UE3's GI solution. TBH, with texture you probably won't even see these. I would not fret about unlit mode (you won't sleep at night if you do) as there will be all kinds of subtle artifacts that simply won't show up once quality textures and materials are applied.

To alleviate some it, though this only works for areas where shadow detail is low, vertex light these (check on override light mas res and set the overridden res to 0).

-Tyler
I disagree, Those artifacts look like something is broken. Rhino you need to make sure the correct lightmap channel is being used, like someone else said what is 1 and 2 in max is 0 and 1 in Unreal. In the static mesh editor you can click on the icon in the top left labled UV and it should show you what you have assigned as your lightmap channel. Also make sure your res is apropriate, for a wall it should be something like 32 or 64 maybe larger depending on detail/size etc...

Also make sure you have no overlapping UVs in your lightmap and make sure you have a lightmass importance volume surrounding your level. Also it's worth noting that the levels we're creating currently have little to -no- meshes with vertex lighting.
Jordan Walker - Senior Technical Artist - Epic Games
ART BLOG
Twitter
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,530 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cary, NC Send a message via ICQ to JordanW  

Old (#65)
thanks breh
Portfolio <- under construction
Offline , triangle, 488 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Albany, NY Send a message via AIM to BlackulaDZ Send a message via Skype™ to BlackulaDZ  

Old (#66)
Unlike UnrealED the default LM channel in UDK is 1, not 0.
Lamont G.- Environment Artist - UbiSoft Osaka
CGBYLG.com
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,607 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Japan Send a message via MSN to Lamont  

Old (#67)
UnrealED is like that now as well(the change came with lightmass), but the translation from max to unreal is still the same 0=1 1=2
Jordan Walker - Senior Technical Artist - Epic Games
ART BLOG
Twitter
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,530 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Cary, NC Send a message via ICQ to JordanW  

Old (#68)
This quote taken from a thread on the UDK boards, but I'm having the same problem. Anyone here have any ideas?

Quote:
I right-click on the floor of my level and click "Add actor -> PlayerStart"

And nothing happens. No actor appears.

Upon trying to click "play from here" I get a "failed to create entry point" error.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,639 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005, Location Texas  

Old (#69)
I am consistently having trouble getting Material Post Processes working in the Unreal Editor (UDK and the old build). I've tried adding a material node to the default scene post process and have tried changing the .ini files.

Is there a way to do material post processes without messing with the ini files and packaging a mod? There must be a method that allows me to test my PPs in the editor.
Matthew Heyman
Portfolio
Twitter

Offline , triangle, 458 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Irvine, CA Send a message via AIM to mheyman  

Old (#70)
slum i had that earlier, i started a new level and it worked,, guess i learned to put a playerstart right away

Old (#71)
Probably a silly question with an obvious answer but...previously I'd select some BSP faces and click a material in the browser to apply that material. Now, it only seems to apply a material to a face if I drag it from the content browser on to the face in the editor...one face at a time only. What am I missing?
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,257 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Baltimore, Maryland Send a message via ICQ to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Yahoo to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Skype™ to ScoobyDoofus  

Old (#72)
I noticed that too, Scoob - seems you have to alt+click now. Not too bad a change, but yep.
Offline , polycounter, 1,252 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location Seattle, WA Send a message via AIM to Vrav  

Old (#73)
Has anyone had problems reimporting an updated mesh and having it replace an older version of the mesh with the same name? Seems like every time I try to import the updated version it just crashes.
Offline , polygon, 700 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Bellevue WA Send a message via AIM to nrek Send a message via MSN to nrek  

Old (#74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoofus View Post
Probably a silly question with an obvious answer but...previously I'd select some BSP faces and click a material in the browser to apply that material. Now, it only seems to apply a material to a face if I drag it from the content browser on to the face in the editor...one face at a time only. What am I missing?
yeah i found to rt click an "aply material" tho i think this is an awesome change, manytimes before i would go to my browser to mess around, and come back to find i had accidently changed my textures in the level cause i had things selected.

Old (#75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox View Post
sure its possible

create a posteffect, load it up on start, add a material use the alpha of an scene texture as your mask for desaturation (the alpha is the zbuffer), thats it, very simple
Cheers, i'll give that a shot.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,657 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Lancashire, UK