Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vincent Valentine Fanart

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Another fanart - after this guy and Malboro I promise no more!

Working on a low poly / handpaint Vincent Valentine,the version from Dirge of cerberus.

REF:
7doc-vincent-a2.jpg

Progress:
Vincent_Valentine_WIP_4_by_HyperDivine.jpg

I think hes about 2000 Tris all up including gun. Working on blocking out the texture atm.
Hair is dodgy as atm just roughly blocked in at this stage. Im approaching this pretty organically, working the model, uvs and textures all at the same time, kinda weird but an experiment to see how it all comes together.

As always, Comments / Crits always wanted!

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Polycount looks a little high to me for the level of detail. Looks almost like you are making this as a sculpting base with that poly density. I would be aiming at sub 1k tris with this style. Looking good though.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    The screengrab actually says that it has around 10000 tris if I'm not mistaking.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    SanderDL wrote: »
    The screengrab actually says that it has around 10000 tris if I'm not mistaking.

I think he duplicated the character in the scene...
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    It's always interesting to try different workflows, I knew someone who would texture their character before unwrapping. I tried it out and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I prefer modeling and texturing at the same time when doing lowpoly work.

Not really a crit, but I'm just wondering if you'd be better off using an alpha for the hair spikes as well. And I know you're not done but the bottom of the top half of his cap seems to end oddly. I'd imagine you might be able to get away with less tris in the cape, but I'm not sure, that one really depends on how it'll be animated.

Edit: Are you mirroring the texture on the cape completely or do you have room to create some difference between the sides?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Polycount looks a little high to me for the level of detail. Looks almost like you are making this as a sculpting base with that poly densit

Or maybe a model with smooth forms capable of clean deofrmation, like most ps2 characters of the era.

Looks awesome so far, keep it up. Face seems like a major weak point though.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice your certainly keeping busy man. looks cool, even with vincents proportions i think the torso on the model may be a bit short. worth a second look, neat painting as well.

-Woog