Old (#1)
The perfect recipe for a dandy survival during a zombie holocast.
Offline , line, 63 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Sweden FALUN  

Old (#2)
excellent. only thing i would say is maybe fade the text. this axe looks like its been through quite a bit. over time maybe it would have lost some of the detail.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,306 Posts, Join Date Apr 2007, Location California Send a message via Skype™ to Oniram  

Old (#3)
I would go back and add some darkness to the parts where a person would hold the axe with their hands, just to add some interest.
Offline , polygon, 512 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego  

Old (#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P442 View Post
I would go back and add some darkness to the parts where a person would hold the axe with their hands, just to add some interest.
I've never seen such a thing on an axeshaft...

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniram View Post
excellent. only thing i would say is maybe fade the text. this axe looks like its been through quite a bit. over time maybe it would have lost some of the detail.
Usually the text is burnt in with an gleaming iron on the wooden shaft, so nothing would 'fall off' regarding the branding of the axe, 'axe'tually
Thank you for the comment!

Old (#6)
they may burn it in, maxen, but over time, it doesnt look quite so clean. the edging around the indent will crack, and also, dirt will get in the indent.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,892 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#7)
Looks cool to me.
Offline , MoP, 11,626 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location London, UK  

Old (#8)
The lighting on the shot doesn't show the top of the head well enough. It looks like you put a wedge in there to tighten the handle to the head. Its a nice touch, for a part of the item people are likely to see a lot of in an FPS setting but its hard to see and it looks like its wood when it should be metal.
Offline , line, 53 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009,  

Old (#9)
Looks nice! But I don't think in real-life people would pick a piece of wood for an axe-handle that has a knot in it (don't really know the english word, the darker colored part where a branch used to grow) because it's a lot weaker.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,585 Posts, Join Date Dec 2006, Location the Netherlands  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipsius View Post
they may burn it in, maxen, but over time, it doesnt look quite so clean. the edging around the indent will crack, and also, dirt will get in the indent.
Ok but shouldn't I be the judge of how worn the axe his, I used a photo as a reference, and I don't get why everybody want it to be a total wreck of an axe, It's just a little rust, it's not 200 years old. Thanks for the comment;)

Old (#11)
Can we see the reference.
Carbine Studios - Senior 3D Artist
Blog
Offline , line, 99 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Orange County  

Old (#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxén View Post
I don't get why everybody want it to be a total wreck of an axe, It's just a little rust, it's not 200 years old.
Welcome to the world of 3d art norms. the "beat the hell out of it!" concept is very very prevalent, and no it doesn't always need to be followed. People tend to keep up their equipment when given the option to.

I really do like the specular treatment on the axe head. The render at the top looks great, but the lower one leaves me wanting something in the wood. Giving the specular a slight warm tone might do it.

The cigar feels a bit weak compared to the axe, not bad, it could simply be a reference difference, but I think what is doing it is that most cigar wraps I've seen tend to be a deeper more chocolaty brown. Convenience store bought cigars not withstanding.

Still a very good piece overall.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,842 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location San Francisco, CA  

Old (#13)
Wow that is really awesome, great use of the maps, making sutch a simple object look that good
Offline , triangle, 312 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Stockholm Sweden