Jensen polycounter lvl 11
Update:

Probably_Complete_Tank_Elite_by_MikeJensen.jpg

Toying with the head:
elite-full-001.jpg

Getting somewhere on the max armor. Update:

max-torso-008.jpg

Update:

I think I'm just about done with the sculpt. Maybe a few changes here and there, and then I'm going to go on to the max hard surface.

elite-concept-sculpt-done-002.jpg

Hey guys!

This is my first time posting my work here, so I'm a bit nervous cause of all the awesome stuff going on here!

Anyways, one day I hope to work in the game industry, so I'll continue to practice.

I love halo, so I wanted to make an elite. But I didn't want to make an elite with the standard armor, so I took it upon myself to have fun. I kinda see this as a "tank elite" that has all his weapons built into the armor. So I kinda have this idea in my head that the elites (or covenant engineers) and the humans worked together on this armor. And one of the earth engineers kinda liked iron man too much (or it's just me).

Anyways, I'm not sure how much this armor fits into the halo universe, but it's been fun to build thus far all the same.

Everything thus far is zbrush. The body is zspheres, then retopology, and each piece of armor is started from a zbrush cube primitive. I find that doing hard surface stuff in zbrush is a bit messy tho, so I'm gonna surface everything in 3ds max as needed.

Not done yet but I thought I would make a wip thread all the same.

elite-concept-sculpt-006.jpg

Zspheres:

elite-zspheres.png

Base Mesh:

elite-basemesh.jpg

Crits welcome and thanks :)

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    I really like that. I see one potential issue though: The armor around the shoulders may be too thick, it looks like it could limit arm movement.

I also agree with Teriyakistyle, the hard edges look a little dented/softened in some areas, that may be what you are going for though.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Melty lookin armor seems to be a problem with sculpting hard surfaces.. I say model that shit!!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    man, everyone hatin on the zbrush hard surface stuff up in here :(

i think it looks good and reads well (which is the important bit), but i guess some tightening would be cool. One idea might be to do a retopo pass over the high poly if you haven't already, kinda like cedric seaut: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=71639&page=4&pp=15 (scroll down a bit).

It prolly would look more solid being done in a traditional modelling app but i kinda like zbrush hard surface stuff :)
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    how did you get your Zspheres to work like that, to create that base mesh? it looks like you got a whole bunch of intersecting spheres to flesh out the muscle or something. Did you retopo the zspheres as is, without using adaptive skin?
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeriyakiStyle: Hey bro. Yeah Vitaly is a freaking pimp! I may be able to manage without the DVD but if not, I'll definitely pick it up ;) Yeah I'm gonna retopo in 3ds max as to clean everything up.

jmchristopher: Hey dude thanks for the crit! You're speaking of the torso armor right? Cause if so I see what ya mean. I'll change that up a bit to allow more movement. Still have to make room for the real shoulderpad!

beartraps: Eventually I will. Wanna pound out the rest of the concept before I start to work on the final.

Nizza_waaarg: Hey dude! Ceds work is the reason I tried sculpting hard surface stuff! He is awesome. Anyways, I'm not sure if I wanna retopo then continue to sculpt cause I'm not sure on how much time it'll take to fully make everything smooth looking. Maybe I'll try it and see how it goes though :)

DeathByChris: Hey dude. I didn't use the adaptive skin cause they are so messy in the first place, I had it in my mind to simply use the topology tool. My final zsphere model was a bit different, I'll post it below. Then after that I just retopologised over the zspheres. I'll also post the adaptive skin below so you can see how crappy it was ;).

final-zspheres-elite.jpg

adaptive-skin-elite-001.jpg
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Killer zsphere workflow and execution man!
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    UPDATES NOW PL0X

Looking pretty good dude :)
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, thats what I thought. Whatever gets the job I guess.
    I really like using Zspheres but the adaptive skin doesn't always give me the results I would like.
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kovac and Havoc:

Thanks guys! :P

@DeathByChris: NP dude!

So I have this idea where the elite will be holding a halo helmet in the final render, like he effed up some spartan and took his head. Anyways, Here's a recon helmet I made It's a bit different, but it's kinda the same.

Also I can show you waht I mean when I say I will rebuild it in max after I have the concept finished, as I have already done it with this model.

So the concept sculpt:

recon-011.jpg

And here is it resurfaced in max:
    recon-high.jpg

high-001.jpg

low poly:

recon-aonorm.jpg

wire:
    recon-wire-001.jpg

I think that's everything!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    hmm, I'm not too familiar with zbrush, but isn't that a bit too much model detail on the rebuild in max? Or are you not baking down the normal map? That'd be a shame considering all the effort put into zbrush.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Really like the helm, the armor is looking great but it seems that for your "low poly" you have so many things modeled out that should be baked down. Example almost all of the plane cylinders. They are not creating any form of silhouette so they should be baked down.

Right now your not getting much detail from your high poly beyond softer edges.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can get rid of almost every other edge, the chin has too much detail, the emblem on the forehead isn't doing anything. All of the cylinders/ diamond things. Some of those little lips need to go.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the nice words. Yeah the poly count on the helm is pretty ridiculous. At one point I had it down to around 1500, but for some reason I reverted back to an earlier version. I can't remember why exactly. Anyways, I'm gonna leave it for now cause I'm kinda lazy. But after I finish the elite I may redo it. We'll see :P

Anyways, Here's a small update. I have most of the body done, but I'm not ready to show it cause the rest of the armor doesn't have any secondary details. So for right now I'll just post the helm:

elite-helmet-002.jpg

elite-helm-001.jpg

There isn't really any secondary details on this either but I feel more comfortable showing it. I'll have to get to it tomorrow, however.

Take care, mike.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I must ask, what are your base meshes and how do you get your layers upon layers of "plating" to have 15 degree angle increments?
  • innervision961
    So let me get this straight, you create the zsphere model, then you retopologize the zsphere model (no adaptive skin)? How does one go about doing this?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    innervision961, you make the ZSpheres and then go to Topology and then click Edit Topology. It allows you to draw geometry over the ZSpheres

Really awesome hard surface sculpting! I'm digging the design as well
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I was thinking about doing that method myself. He would make the sculpt in zbrush and then create a new topology over it to compliment the sub div model.
  • innervision961
    SuPa- wrote: »
    innervision961, you make the ZSpheres and then go to Topology and then click Edit Topology. It allows you to draw geometry over the ZSpheres

Why didn't I know this sooner lol Thanks SuPa! And I concur, Awesome work Jensen, I love it!
  • uneditablepoly
    SuPa- wrote: »

When I do this it allows me to draw spline-like things over the zspheres and make those into a model. How do you get more area with this tool?
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DEElekgolo: Hey dude. For the armor my basemeshes are zbrush cube3d primatives. First I just go to initialize and make it the size I want, then go to unified skin and move all the numbers to really low numbers, then make a unified skin. Then I move it into place and start sculpting it there.

For sculpting it i use a lot of the dam-standard brush, clay tubes, layer, and flatten. I just kinda outline where I want the details to be, use the layers brush to bring it up, then flatten the edges at an angle. Pretty simple process just done over and over.

Here is a breakdown of a few of the meshes:

elite-armor-grade-001.jpg

elite-armor-grade-002.jpg

So yeah they are all cubes. I think it's actually easiest that way to figure out the shape you want. For me at least.

@SuPa- thanks bro!

@innervision961: Thanks :P

@uneditablepoly: This should help you out
  • Savior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pure awesome. Keen to see the finished product.
  • zoidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a halo fanboy, I can appreciate some nice halo-related art ;) I think my main crit would be that the armour around the forearm and hands seems too bulky, restricting movement. It doesn't look like he'd be able to clench his fist properly.

Otherwise, it's all looking awesome. I'm digging the fin-like detail on top of the recon helmet.
  • uneditablepoly
    Hey, Jensen, thanks a lot for that link and for answering my PM so quickly. You rock, great work on this. Can't wait to see it finished!
  • torontoanimator
    its just too brilliant dude o.o i love all the armor pieces, its so simple, yet complex at the same time. the arms and hands are my favorite part by far
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, buddy.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the information on your workflow, it's looking like it's all coming together. Looking forward to seeing the finished model :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Some very good stuff in here man! :)

You shouldnt have probs getting into the industry if you keep working like this.
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    HP loves halo! :)

Great work man!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Actually I hate it... ah ah! :P

Too bad you're wasting your skills with such a overrated IP. :( ah ah, just kidding!

Keep on kickin man!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i gotta tell you, i like the sculpted hard surface better than the retopo
  • The Master Elite
    Wort,

An Elite has come to review your supposed developments of a new line of combat harness. :)

So far, it looks good. I did like the first run at the armor, but I feel the elbow region feels wrong. If you look at the design of the common Elite combat armor, you will notice they left the elbow unguarded. If you wish to give it an elbow guard, I suggest it be segmented or some other thing to provide more flexibility.

The helmet looks great. I look forward to seeing further development.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Savior: Thanks!

@Zoidy: Thanks for the crit. I'm not to worried about collisions as a little self clipping in a game I think is ok. I'll make sure to minimize the clipping tho.

@Uneditablepoly: NP dude and thanks :P

@torontoanimator: Thanks a ton bro glad you like it!

@Conte: Thanks!

@Carlo_c: NP dude! Thanks :P

@[HP]: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I sure hope so :) btw wth is IP???

@Ultra: Thanks dude!

@Harry: Thanks dude. I think the texture of the sculpt adds a lot of character, but cleaning the mesh in max is just so much more practical, and I can always add those details later.

@The Master Elite: Thanks dude glad you like it. Yeah the details aren't set in stone yet. I'll search around and see what I can do for the elbow.

Small update: I've been searching for the details, and what I have on the front upper leg is the direction I think I want to take the rest of the undetailed areas:

elite-concept-sculpt-010.jpg
    Thanks guys!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great man! And your workflow for this stuff seems so slick. I think the helmet need to be bigger though. Right now it dosn't look like its much bigger than his naked head would be. I really look forward to seeing all the hard surface models come together in max.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    Looks great man! And your workflow for this stuff seems so slick. I think the helmet need to be bigger though. Right now it dosn't look like its much bigger than his naked head would be. I really look forward to seeing all the hard surface models come together in max.

Hey bro glad you like it! Yeah the helmet is a bit small, but I actually just moved it forward on the head. So I haven't had to hide the real head below. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with:

Update:

I think I'm just about done with the sculpt. Maybe a few changes here and there, and then I'm going to go on to the max hard surface.

elite-concept-sculpt-done-002.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi! Great work on the helmet. I am glad you are not just sculpting this, but take the time to do a proper remodeling. It will really pay off in the end I think.

Good luck!!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap!

but, I cant help at thinking that the retopologizing from the sculpt to sub-D is a lot of work that seems like it would take a long time, when you could just start with the sub-d,

but then its obvious your probably finding a lot of really cool forms that you probably wouldn't stumble into if you had started with regular modeling. and I imagine if you have a template to model on top of, you might actually end up saving some time in the end.

either way its looking really great, and I anxiously await where those goes, both aestheically, and work flow wise.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Needs more detail.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    could you post wires from the odst highpoly? (the retopo'd one from max)

Very clean stuff.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I still can't make structures like that in zbrush. Perhaps a video in the near future?
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i fuckin hate halo as well but... this looks badass

I second a video of your workflow, this looks really great!
  • wup101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wup101 polycounter lvl 18
    The Elite is pretty badass. Looking forward to the final model. Thanks for showing some of your work flow. But when you were outlining where you want the detail to be, what level of sub division are you in? Is the mesh over a million polygons when you start using the layer brush to bring up the hard surface detail? It would be great if you can show some more detail process on hard surface sculpting in zbrush.

Thanks
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    beartraps wrote: »
    i fuckin hate halo as well but... this looks badass

I second a video of your workflow, this looks really great!
    buckshit2.gif
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior: thanks bro! Yeah sculpting looks good for pulling forms, but there is something so clean about subd it's necessary.

@konstruct: You're exactly right. It is a seemingly unnecessary step, but all I have to do is make the new right ontop of the old, make a few tweaks here and there, and then break open the champagne

@ZacD: lol I'm not sure if I'm going to add more detail.

@commandor: Just for you:

high poly wires
    recon-wires-high.jpg

nothing too special

@DEElekgolo and beartraps: Here you go guys:

this video shows basically everything I do

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Vo7tGOV2M[/ame]

The video doesn't really show it, but to get this base mesh I used the cube3d primitive, then make the x and y size 50 in the initialize menu, then make a unified skin of that with the lowest settings for every slider.

@wup101: Thanks dude! I'm not entirely sure on the subd level, but I can say that it's high.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    nice hard surface sculpthing, i bet you are geting moist over the thought of those hard surface brushshes coming "soon" also have you considered doing poseable symetry on your work so you only have to work on half of it, seems like painting the details on both sides would get tiresome and hard to do evenly
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    What brushes are you using. Looks like the damstandard, flaten, and claytube?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Very awesome, thank you.
  • wup101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wup101 polycounter lvl 18
    Yay! Thanks for the video. This hardsurface stuff is finally making more sense to me now.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! you are the man!
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am goignto ask a dumb question, sorry. How is it you appear to have multiple materials in ZB- i didn't think that was possible?

Told you it was dumb!

~P~