Home Technical Talk

max 2010 md5 export help please

morf
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
morf polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, been lurking hear for years, sorry my 1st post is requesting help.

I'm having some trouble exporting from max 2010 to md5 format. I've trawled through many forums and tutorials but still getting no joy.
I tried using der tons and berserkers exporters but max crashes when exporting, and the resulting md5 files are empty.
The model is an edit mesh with skin modifier on top, i'm not too sure if it has something to do with my rig although i the rig is pretty basic.
For now i'm just trying to get the model exported but i also have a couple of animations that i want to export too.

This is the model i want to export, just the skeleton not the weapons.

skeleton_01.jpg

It's an art test for an iphone game, and i really need a job so any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Replies

• morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys, sorry for being a pest, but I'm still having no joy exporting my model to md5.
    Just curious if anyone has had any success exporting md5's from max 2010 or has any suggestions.

cheers
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could maybe try the ETQW export plugin. You can get it from the ETQW modding wiki. Download link is in this article: http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Vehicle_Tutorial_Part_2
    I've tested it on Max 2008, it's a modified version of Bezerker's plugin, but I don't know if it will work on 2010.
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    mop sweet, that worked, i never realised you guys had your own exporter.
    I managed to export md5 mesh and anim (without any crashes), still can't view them in der_tons viewer but at least I was able to get something exported. Now I just need to figure out why I can't see them in the model viewer.
    thanks dude.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It exports the md5mesh with a "vertexColor" flag at the top of each mesh segment - you can see this in a text editor since it's an ASCII format. This was not part of the Doom 3 model spec, it was added for ETQW, so it might be breaking the viewer.

You can either comment out or delete that "flags { vertexColor }" block. Just make sure not to delete anything else important while you're in there :)
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks again mop, I had a look through the file but couldn't find anything with vertexColor.
    I don't really know anything about md5 files so I'm probably missing something really simple or just being a dumbass.