Home Technical Talk

Creating a 'Scratches' Brush in PS

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
Its a staple of texturing. When metal is involved, you add scratches. I know alot of you guys have bitching scratch bushes that you use to speed up the process.

But for the life of me, I can't make a preset scratch brush that works. I don't know, something is missing. So please, share with me your scratch techniques.

And while we're at it, how do you get a brush to rotate along with the direction of your penstroke?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Scratches:
    New layer, play with the fill to get the effect desired, bevel and emboss down, 0 or 1 px width, blend mode to suit.
    Draw strokes with a single pixel hard brush with a grey color (not pencil) = instant scratches.

Also scratches often don't need the bevel and emboss,but a single pixel brush does nicely for creating the scratch. The idea is to figure out how deep and or how wide the scratch you want is. Does it penetrate the exterior material fully? What is underneath that material? Does it have multiple coats of paint? Was the scratch made by a blade, a claw, rubbing against concrete, or what? just repeated impact on exposed surfaces?

The shape of what made the scratch also contributes to how it should look in the end.
    Like say you have a piece of military hardware. Its steel with a layer of primer followed by at least one coat of drab paint. If it gets scratched by a rock thrown up from a vehicle passing by or rolling in front of it or whatnot, there could be a little metal showing at the main point of impact with some primer showing around the the exposed metal and the overcoat around the impact area would have a slight ragged edge.

If you have a small scratch with low texel density you can imply all this by a the above scratch technique

rotating brush.
    shape dynamics options in brush palette. set angle to "direction"
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That was completely not what I was looking for :)

What I mean is, Could anyone share their settings, or brushes, for a good painting brush that leaves a scratch like effect. something more textured than the standard photoshop deal, that can be scaled up and down for high res work.

I think where I'm going wrong is the initial brush shape, theres nothign in my library that works, and googling turns up deviantart stamp brushes :/
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ok well how about this:
    Post a picture of what kind of scratch effect you're trying to achieve, and what results you're getting. :) Might help if what you're looking for is specifically and only a brush and not just technique in general.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    fearian wrote: »
    And while we're at it, how do you get a brush to rotate along with the direction of your penstroke?

scatering?! :poly121:

When I get to work tomorrow, I can upload a few of the ones I use! :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    a small brush and a shaky hand?

I actually use the lasso tool to add scratches most of the time. But it depends on the type of scratches.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if youre pro you will use a 1 pixel brush. ;) lol jk.

thats just waht i do, after a while you get pretty fast at it, and it offers way more control.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    00Zero wrote: »
    if youre pro you will use a 1 pixel brush. ;) lol jk.

thats just waht i do, after a while you get pretty fast at it, and it offers way more control.

thats exactly what i do :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Yep, take a few scratch like strokes and form a loose asterisk symbol *
    Play with the scatter, angle, and size jitters. Sometimes duel brush it with a softer fuzzy cloudy brush.

One brush probably won't do all the scratches you'll never need, so you'll probably have to create glass, painted metal, bare metal bla bla bla.

Normally I scare up some ref, and try to recreate the effect just by playing with all the settings. I think its easier and after to just toss a brush together (once you get used to the settings) when you need it than to scourer the web, a whole lot of lame stamp brushes out there...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    For a long time I was doing the same thing as you, 00Zero, I used to use a 1px brush with white, nothing else, to do my scratches. But I found once I started working on big textures (2048, 4096) that it became increasingly tedious and impractical to use that method. A while back I edited the square brush that comes with photoshop and made a quickie scrape brush, and that's what I use now.

Brush

How 2 use and speedy examples:
    scrapetut.jpg

I hope that helps! :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm you can make almost any brush work, some better than others... What I found helps is playing with the flow and spacing. something other than a circle shape helps but it can be just the default circle. If you just use the clircle shap try playing around with the roundmess jitterYou can play with the size jitter and the rotation. In photoshop there is an option I think it's found under Angle jitter, in the brush engine, and you can set it to follow direction or just the initial direction. Just experiment with it a little, the different flow settings and spacing for the brush. You don't really need to do anything fancy though.

Quick meh scratch brush:

turn on size to be controled by pen
    scatter set to both axis and set to 104%
    set flow to 25%
    set spacing to 25%

this brush will sort of not work well if you don't have size to be controlled by the pen and if it's too big.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Racer445 wrote: »
    For a long time I was doing the same thing as you, 00Zero, I used to use a 1px brush with white, nothing else, to do my scratches. But I found once I started working on big textures (2048, 4096) that it became increasingly tedious and impractical to use that method. A while back I edited the square brush that comes with photoshop and made a quickie scrape brush, and that's what I use now.

Brush

How 2 use and speedy examples:
    scrapetut.jpg

I hope that helps! :)

Absoloutly perfect! thankyou! :D

For the record, I've been using tiny sharp brushes for years, but Ive recently been working on textures at 2048x2048 and it doesn't quite cut it. Then I realised I'd never really made many painting brushes before!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for that racer, very useful! :)

also fearian, I know you're asking for brushes, and of course you can have more control with them, but sometimes, although rarely I do use scratches stamps.
    You can find some in there: http://rapidshare.com/files/246228670/Eat3d_Riki_Brushes_2008.rar.html
    (It's from the Eat3D texturing tutorial DVD, I hope I'm not stepping the line with copyrights or something for sharing these)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

When I get to work tomorrow, I can upload a few of the ones I use! :)

RONG.
    Check your shape dynamics, and set rotation to use either 'direction' or 'initial direction' (the latter is especially helpful when your brush doesn't lend itself to constant rotation, but you want it to respect the direction of your brushstrokes)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hello, personally I forgoe the whole brush route, I'm not the best painter and I find hand painting textures pretty time consuming. I drop a photograph of scratches on to a layer add a layer mask to it, fill it with black and then just paint white where ever I want the scratches to show up. For me it creates a less painterly looking scratch but this could be more time consuming depending on your project.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I mainly use malcolm's method, but I also have a bunch of custom brushes for larger details to break up the masks and overlay extra details.
    I find that using CrazyBump to get a starting mask for the scratches is a real timesaver too.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: How does that CrazyBump-workflow look? Never tried it.

I use this kinda stuff:
    ScratchBrushes01.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi Mop, please share your magic crazy bump workflow.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'd imagine he gets a convexity map and uses it to find the outermost parts and then uses it as a mask or guide for painting his scratches?

MoP am I right?

Lately I've been doing a photoshop find edges->invert on my normal map to get quick start on scratches - I'll set this up as a mask on my bare metal layer, then put that in a group and add a new layer, add a mask to that, and start painting with a wide brush in the areas where I want scratches. POOF, instant scratches on edges. Then I'll paint over them with a scratch brush.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, you used the word in the definition! He was just joking anyways. Useful advice though from you and Racer, thanks guys.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Personally I've always defined "pro" as "so good it hurts". Like, this coffee I'm having? Totally pro, and I'm drinking it like a boss. Like a bauss.

j/k I get ya Perna, was just being obtuse. :)
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Very useful thread. :)
    You can find some in there: http://rapidshare.com/files/246228670/Eat3d_Riki_Brushes_2008.rar.html
    (It's from the Eat3D texturing tutorial DVD, I hope I'm not stepping the line with copyrights or something for sharing these)

Eat 3D cant claim ownership for all these brushes but its important not to redistribute content from the DVDs for legal reasons. If you want I can release some brushes under GPL from a personal collection but the actual content from the purchased dvds need to be respected as a product. This is to protect eat3d and the customers who paid good money to get the content. I hope that makes since, we are just trying to do what we can, you have no idea how many piracy links we fight everyday, most from rapidshare. :(
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Please do, my brush library is hideously small at the moment :/
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    whoo! a nice discussion going! :)

Thanks for reminding me about find edges! I saw it in Sampson's cannon tutorial and promptly forgot it!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth

The download limit for the link has been reached, can you/somebody re-upload to another host please?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    -find edges on normal map, invert
    -copy AO into mask and push levels until occluded areas are invisible
    then use as mask.

also use this as a cheap and quick way of highlighting convex edges using this method

-find edges on normal map
    -invert
    -push black to mid grey in levels
    -make layer "overlay"

set this up as an action and bingooooo
  • [Deleted User]
    perna wrote: »
    zackF: No, I'm referencing the fact that "pro" is often used to mean "very good", not "professional" :)
    Don't worry - there's never any confusion when it comes to you
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I use these. Setting up your own is super easy. Draw shapes, make them a brush, tweak settings, shazam! Rotation jitter and scattering are crazy useful. If it looks too uniform, jitter more stuff. If it looks too random, jitter less stuff.
    2rm6ud1.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    -find edges on normal map, invert
    then use as mask.

also use this as a cheap and quick way of highlighting convex edges using this method

-find edges on normal map
    -invert
    -push black to mid grey in levels
    -make layer "overlay"

set this up as an action and bingooooo

Can you explain this visually? I'm having a hard time following.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you explain this visually? I'm having a hard time following.

i'll write a mini tutorial, ive meant to for ages
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i'll write a mini tutorial, ive meant to for ages

Thanks. Looking forward to it
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Shepeiro: Thanks for explaining that, and if you do indeed make a mini tutorial please link it here so we all know where to find it.

I understood everything you said Shepeiro, except this part: "push levels until occluded areas are invisible"
    It's probably because I'm dense and I'm not sure if "occluded" is the black areas or white areas of an ao map. I thought it was the black areas, but when I make the black areas almost invisible the mask doesn't really have much of an effect.
    Anyways thanks for sharing, and I have been wondering how people handle scratches for a long time now. This is a really awesome thread!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah thats right but maybe i didnt explain myself correctly, you push the levels in the mask so that the scratches disappear from the occluded (dark inset areas) parts but remain at full strength on areas that are exposed. does that make sense
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Find edges colors your normal map edges. Where do the scratches come in? I'm confused.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have a scratches layer and you're using the find edges technique to be used as a mask? If that's the case there should be some more masking going on so as not to go overboard with scratches?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Shepeiro: I get it now. I just needed to understand the outcome you were looking for with the mask so I can push the levels to where I need them.
    I especially like the highlight trick you mentioned second. I definitely never considered that one.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very well Riki, was just trying to contribute! :) Sorry man!
    I bought all Eat3D env art DVD's so far! :)

Good thread we got going on here, continue contributing guys! ;) Also, good stuff there fly_soup, thanks.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    After reading some of these time-saving idea's i feel like an ass for doing it all manually now. Argg!!
    Really like SHEPEIRO's technique. Cant wait to try it. Hoping for that mini-tut as well.:)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Would a find edge on any other backed chan give a similar result for a starter mask? A lot of the stuff I've working on in the past few years hasn't used normal maps. So being able to use these time-saver tips on non-normal-mapped assets would be handy, too.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't get the masking part. Do you mean masking whole area or just masking out the colored edges?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havnt explained myself very well, a picture based tutorial will be much better, i have it set up as action that i perform fisrt thing after baking

vassgo- not sure it would probably work or give you something ok with a diffuse find edges using a lighting layer as a mask.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I still don't get the masking part. Do you mean masking whole area or just masking out the colored edges?

Here is the process:

Render a normal map and an AO map.

Load them both into photoshop, start working on your texture, etc, etc.

Take a copy of the normal map, run "find edges" on it. This will give you black lines on a white background.

Invert this. Now you have white lines where your scratches will be.

Make a new layer, fill it with a galvanized metal texture.

Add a layer mask, and paste your find-edged normal map into this to use as a mask. You should now have galvanized edges.

Put this layer in a group.

Add a layer mask to the group.

Copy your AO map into the group layer mask.

Adjust levels/curves on AO map mask as needed. Paint on the galvanized metal mask as needed to add more wear.

Obviously there is a lot of room in here for experimentation but thats the whole process, step by step. Is there something still unclear?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got it now with this more detailed explanation. One more thing though. When I click "Find Edges" in the filter section of photoshop I get colored edges not black edges. Should I just desaturate that color and level it off to get the black?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep.

my workflow is slightly different from ghostscapes, but is pretty damn similar

i find i do very little actual painting these days, using a diffuse colour, normal, and AO bake to do pretty much everything, add some photosourceing for texture and youre pretty much there
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer to use crazybump, paste your normal map in, go to the displacement tab and crank the detail all the way up. This is a much better solution than find edges to me, because if gives you a lot more control.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I prefer to use crazybump, paste your normal map in, go to the displacement tab and crank the detail all the way up. This is a much better solution than find edges to me, because if gives you a lot more control.

I love it. Nice techniques I'm hearing. Ill try that method also.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe i need to play with CB a bit more but i found i know how to produce what i want with PS but had less control with CB

this is something that a workshop would be usefull for
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Displacement? I would think spec or ao, I'll have to play around with disp. I usually ignore it.

Crazybump is a great way to start off a metal spec map too. Only go pretty dark and use crazybump to work the edge detail a little lighter gray.

The only problem with Crazybump is that it tends to over do it on UV shell seams but in most cases that's easily masked out. Or avoidable if you where smart with your seams in the first place.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Can the crazy bump method be used for high resolution textures ?

I understand one can take an image and create scratches from an image, with the aid of masks etc for high resolutions but having your own set of brushes, that can be reused, rather then a collection of images is more convenient and can be used many times.

Can the crazy bump technique be used in nDo, or is the workflow different in nDo ? As well how was the original image created in crazy bump, there was no mention of this ?
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I know this is a old thread, no one from the past can elaborate a little more ? :)