Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GHOSTBUSTERS: Multiplayer art dump

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hello!

My last full project @ Threewave was as an artist for the Ghostbusters multiplayer team. Below are screenshots of the maps I was directly involved with, and handled either the majority or at the very least, 50% of the art tasks for.

The majority of the meshwork is original in these shots. Textures were either used from single-player or created by myself or the other artist involved. Lighting was done by another fellow at the company.

All the work was made in 3DS Max and imported, amazingly easily I should add, in to the Infernal Engine. Shaders, meshes, and all that magic could be easily imported straight out of Max and in to the game without a lot of overhead to deal with. Great engine for artists, to say the least.

adambromell_gb_basement_01.jpg
adambromell_gb_basement_02.jpg
adambromell_gb_basement_03.jpg
adambromell_gb_basement_04.jpg
adambromell_gb_basement_05.jpg
adambromell_gb_lostisland_01.jpg
adambromell_gb_lostisland_02.jpg
adambromell_gb_lostisland_03.jpg
adambromell_gb_lostisland_04.jpg
adambromell_gb_lostisland_05.jpg
adambromell_gb_rooftops_01.jpg
adambromell_gb_rooftops_02.jpg
adambromell_gb_rooftops_03.jpg
adambromell_gb_rooftops_04.jpg
adambromell_gb_rooftops_05.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    dammmmmmmm! awesome levels Adam.

So when using the infernal engine, you model the level first then import it as a whole mesh? I'm interested in how everything translates from Max to the engine. If you allowed to talk about it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much deliciously awesome art... I can't wait to run around in it all.
    Thanks for the break down shots!

I really have to check out Infernal.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hells ya! Dude the ENTIRE thing was done in Max. The only parts we'd dress within Infernal were physics
    objects. From that, Infernal was used for lighting and for scripting. Ryan Monday (Mangled Poly) can
    elaborate on this, though.

Fun note of interest #1: If a flat surface, like a wall, seems unesseccarily cut up with extra edges it was
    a requirement of GB's tech. The scars left on walls from the Proton beam, at the time anyway, wouldn't
    show up on large triangles so they had to be cut down.

Fun note of interest #2: No second UV's needed for lightmaps! So awesome! All we had to do was select
    the meshes we'd like lightmapped and flag it as such! Literally! So fucking fast compared to other... engines.

Fun note of interest #3: Basic materials (such as diff, spec, bump, etc) didn't need ANY setup inside of
    Infernal engine. So long as it was setup within a standard Max shader, it would export AND WORK. Only
    complex shaders needed to be setup inside of Infernal... which is a node-based material editor.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    love the flying bricks :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    warby wrote: »
    love the flying bricks :)

Haha, we hate them! Actually, thats a lie. In the end we loved them. BUT!!! You can shoot ALL OF THEM. With the proton pack, every single one of those bricks can be shot and flung out in to space or over top of the gameplay area. It was a pain in the ass to solve (re: HAAAATE) but once we nailed it, damn were we satisified.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for sharing Adam, it looks great btw :) but this infernal engine is it public or just something you guys have?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    dammmmmmmm! awesome levels Adam.

So when using the infernal engine, you model the level first then import it as a whole mesh? I'm interested in how everything translates from Max to the engine. If you allowed to talk about it.

pretty much that easy. for larger levels you may cut it into multiple legos and attach them within the engine, but most of the building of the level is done in max.

anyways. awesome job adam. when we first got to checkout what you guys were doing with the multiplayer it was a total moral boost to how cool the game was going to be. twisted stacks design is kick ass. gj.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff,seems to fit the game, not sold on the lighting but you didn't take part in that so...
    wanted to pick it up, but apparently atari got some kind of weird ass deal with sony and the game will be delayed on 360 in europe :( so I'll have to wait

oh and congrats on first shipped title man :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I will elaborate:

Their are actually many different methods for building your levels from art assets. The first of course being the method Adam used which is importing a whole area done in max right into the engine. However you can also do tile sets where you have many parts in one file that you can hide on and off to piece together a level. I usually recommended a hybrid of building the shells in max and exporting the small props and using the engine to propagate. This allows for faster iterations of building, plus the engine has better placing tools.

Like Adam covered we will auto convert your max standard materials for you so you do not have to rebuild them on import. we support max and maya's standard material for this. However, we also have many custom direct-x materials like multi-texture blending that will automatically import for you as well. On cases you want to make a really advanced material you can in the engines material editor then link it back to max and maya. Also you can do things like collision mesh flagging and geometry type flagging right in the 3d package, so once you import into the engine it is all setup for you.

There are many cool features Adam has mentioned plus many... many more :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that sounds great. Is there a trial or free version available? It would be great to use this on Unearthly 09.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    cool Adam. Hot artwork you did on those levels :thumbup:
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff man! those levels are looking nice. Ur import workflow sounds soooo nice too! Artist friendly is a must!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    there are some serious polys in some of these.
    cool work, thanks for sharing.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    Wow that sounds great. Is there a trial or free version available? It would be great to use this on Unearthly 09.

I wanted to get a "light" version up and running for unearthly.. but since we announced we are licensing we have been so crazy busy that it may not happen this year... Kind of a bittersweet thing for me cause you know how much I loves my unearthly!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    vahl wrote: »
    cool stuff,seems to fit the game, not sold on the lighting but you didn't take part in that so...
    wanted to pick it up, but apparently atari got some kind of weird ass deal with sony and the game will be delayed on 360 in europe :( so I'll have to wait
    Either Kotaku or Shacknews ran a story about the 360 version being region free. So you should be able to import it. (Double check..)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Great work, I particularly like the crazy, brick, church, whirlwind scene. The breakdowns are a huge bonus.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Grr, just noticed my mesh images have the info posted wrong within the raster.

Grr.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Great stuff Adam! Looks really nice, can't wait to play the game!
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    This looks awersome!

the tree wireframe mesh is missing on your wireframe shot in the church entrance scene. :0

Also as you said everything was imported into engine from max. you created the terrain in max as well, which I dont see normally. does infernal have a terrain editor? isnt bsp easier on loading rather than a huge object that has to entirely load everytime. ... thats from my limited knowledge off hourences site.. but was it just easier and faster to do it this way, or could you explain a little more about the terrain creation and why its from max?
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for sharing. Shots looks great as well as the engine. Can't wait to see the light release. Looking forward to picking my copy up.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This looks awersome!

the tree wireframe mesh is missing on your wireframe shot in the church entrance scene. :0

Also as you said everything was imported into engine from max. you created the terrain in max as well, which I dont see normally. does infernal have a terrain editor? isnt bsp easier on loading rather than a huge object that has to entirely load everytime. ... thats from my limited knowledge off hourences site.. but was it just easier and faster to do it this way, or could you explain a little more about the terrain creation and why its from max?

This is more of a question for Mangled Poly, but here are my 2 cents: Terrains as easy to make in Max as anywhere else. The levels were blocked out using BSP which we then used as guidelines for doing the artwork for the map but the engine is designed around mesh work being used.

Hourences is talking about Unreal. It doesn't negate his fact, but I wanted to be clear. The mutliplayer maps are essentially arenas which can be seen in their entirety from any point in the map, more or less. Only a FEW had 'rooms' which would require some view portal magic to happen, and even then the engine took care of that.

The tree is missing because it was placed as a prop within the editor, not within the Max scenes.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Another fun note: The shots were taken from within Infernal, not from directly inside the game.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    very cool stuf, thanks for sharing that
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looks amazing, but why oh WHY does the Pc version have no multiplayer?!!?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    No idea. We handled everything but.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work man. Looks like fun stuff. I'll definitely have to check this out.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Love the blown apart level shots, I always love the suggestion of atmospheric disturbance like that in a scene, gives the environment more of a chance at being a character.

Also like the sheets of paper motif, I always loved how far 2000AD took this sort of thing in the Megacity lower depths, really pushed that hard boiled feeling of cultural saturation.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ya, that's Twisted Stacks and it was definitely the more enjoyable of the bunch to work with. "Ooooh I wonder what stuff from SP we can take and totally fuck up".
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff Adam.. is that your fucking Skate park!!? :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice work Adam!!

Is that roof top a cannibalised version of your skateboard map you made a while back?
  • Stoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the Ghostbusters levels turned out, Adam. Really awesome stuff; organic, and dynamic.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff Adam! Infernal sounds nifty indeed... power to the artists!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks everyone! It was one of the most fun I've had collaborating on a project, ever.

Haha, my skatepark was brought up a couple times during development ;)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    hey man, great work. Can't wait to play.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Just picked it up a couple hours ago. really fun stuff.

Awesome work dude. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful stuff gj congrats, gents!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Adam! Congrats, definitely some work to be proud of. The infernal engine seems to be quite a nice set of tools as well.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! It was one of the most fun I've had collaborating on a project, ever.

Haha, my skatepark was brought up a couple times during development ;)

you know this qualifies as "dream job" don't you?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Dodgeas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe coll stuff. I was working on that lion sculpture modeling/texturing :) its small in screen, but i recognize :)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff Adam! That floating brick level alone makes me want to get this game. :)
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for posting wireframe shots. This game looks fun and I can't wait to play it. I especially like the lighting done in the creepy church with the modeled vines scene and the roof top shots are very nice.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    pure awesome! I saw this game at E3, it looks super fun.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys :)

Please keep in mind that the mesh work isn't exactly the most efficient, when speaking generally for games. For Infernal, it was great and needed to be as it is. There is a lot of (what looks to be) inefficient lines cut all over the place, or alternatively often times HUGE 'ngons'. At the time the engine was finicky about render mesh triangle sizes AND their proximity to the collision mesh and this is the result.

So, I wouldn't say they'd make good reference for 100% efficient environment modelling, but If anyone has specific questions/comments about the mesh work I'd love to hear it!
  • jefe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome stuff Adam, thanks for the wires =)

And yeah this Infernal engine sounds really sweet. I hate setting up a second uv channel for lightmaps!!