Old (#1)
Hi I'm stuck with maya again. Looked everywhere but cant find how you set the pivot options in maya for the following:

I have lots of separate boxes each with a face selected. I want to scale them at the same time BUT with each box using its own pivot so that the all scale in on themselves and not towards one pivot shared by all.

In max I would just change the pivot drop down to "Use Pivot Point Center" but in maya I cant find an option to do this in the tool options for scale.

Any help would be appreciated, as always....
Offline , spline, 139 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location London, UK  

Old (#2)
in the scale tool options:
"Component use Object Pivot" check box to on

Last edited by claydough; 06-10-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Offline , polycounter, 775 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location Austin/Baltimoron  

Old (#3)
Hi Claydough

I tried that actually as it was what sounded most likely but it doesnt actually work for me. When ticked the pivot moves to the grid origin and all faces on the boxes scale wildly left or right rather than off their own pivot

Old (#4)
yer right
they are scaling to each of their objects center.
Which would be fine if u had a script that adjusted objects' pivot to component selection. ( and optimally reset pivot after such edit )

need one? ( an object pivot to component selection scale context )
Offline , polycounter, 775 Posts, Join Date May 2008, Location Austin/Baltimoron  

Old (#5)
yes please! weird that its not a built in ability. I mean I use it ALL the time in max as otherwise I would have to scale the face on one block, look at the value in the channel box and then do the same to every block one by one.

Old (#6)
coming up

Old (#7)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what you are looking for? I'm using Maya 2009 vanilla, no modifications at all.

Online , dedicated polycounter, 1,451 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Skåne, Sweden  

Old (#8)
it only seems to behave because of the simplicity of the cube's shape.
The cubes are scaling to the individual object center not individual components selection center.

Old (#9)
Ahhh, gotcha. Deceiving little cubes!

Well in all honesty the feature does what it implies on doing, uses the OBJECT as the pivot and not the selected component averaged pivot. I can see how this would be useful.
Online , dedicated polycounter, 1,451 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Skåne, Sweden  

Old (#10)
Yes please that would be a great script to have! I miss the use selection pivot center also.

Us Max to Maya guys struggle with the pivot system, its getting better, since 2008 you can align the pivot to the face normal which is almost like using the local pivot in max.

You should pass the script along to Autodesk so it gets included! I'd love to have it further integrated then what you can do with Mel... well I should wait and see what you do with Mel =P

Last edited by Mark Dygert; 06-10-2009 at 10:45 AM..
(AKA Vig) Portfolio | Lab | Brawl | Decker |
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,631 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#11)
LocalTools mel script

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's neat, and might be a good starting point for writing a script that batches this to a set of objects.

Coming from modo, I'd love to see a mel script that completely replicates the 'action centers' functionality. In fact, I might be willing to drop modo entirely, now that 2009 has started to integrate Nex style selection.
Offline , spline, 126 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location Brooklyn, NY  

Old (#12)
I just went through the issue with my boss on the phone and we solved the issue with separate cubes but the difference i just found with my problem is that the cubes (though separate cubes not connected are part of the same mesh) have been combined.

Old (#13)
ouch, polySeperate else,
adjusted object pivots can't help.

How did yer boss solve the problem with the seperate objects? Please share so i can stop coding

Old (#14)
Sorry wasn't clear.... HE DIDNT. I got off the phone thinking we'd cracked it then went back to my actual geometry and found i was stumpted.

Old (#15)
Sorry i get confused with the way posts are listed on here... kinda back to front to my brain. I just saw Kodde's video and YES that's exactly it... for some reason clicking the same component origin pivot button on mine doesn't solve the issue ... it just moves the pivot to the origin of the axis and scales like it did before i press the button.

Old (#16)
That would probably mean that your object's pivots are located at the origin of the grid.
That is the problem with the option ( u have to "manually" set the objects pivots to behave as expected )

Old (#17)
whenever i needed to scale different parts on various objects like that, i just created a vertex cluster for each piece and scaled the cluster... it works but it can be a bit tedious when you use it often.
Offline , spline, 153 Posts, Join Date Jan 2006, Location Copenhagen - Malmoe Send a message via Skype™ to Guriamo  

Old (#18)
Code:

/*
cly_discretePivot.mel v.0.1
Roger Klado was here
because no one else will do it fer me
june 10, 2009 ( boy oh boy )
RogerKlado@gmail.com ( Klado/Claydough/cly_  )
discrete component pivot on multiple objects using the scale or rotate tool
 Usage:
 make component selections and apply this script "cly_discretePivot" to 
 scale and rotate independently  with multiple objects component selections.
 Requirements:
  assumes polygon mesh
  requires the scale or rotate tool
  assumes pivot is to be returned to initial state ( reset ) when the selection focus changes
*/
download

works on multiple objects

on a single object...
Guriamo deformer solution automated like above might be nice.
needed?

bound to be issues. please post em.

Old (#19)
Howdy,

I think Ive found a way round your prob.

STEP ONE: Select all the boxes.
STEP TWO: Mesh > Combine.
STEP THREE: Select all the faces you want to scale.
STEP FOUR: Edit Mes > Transform Component.
STEP FIVE: Scale em!!
STEP SIX: Mesh > Seperate.

Hope it works!

~J~
Offline , spline, 140 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location Hove  

Old (#20)
Juju, That is very destructive and requires resetting of the pivots after.

Clay, thanks buddy! I'll give it a spin when I get home tonight! /crosses fingers
Also going to give the script that cptincognito linked to a try.

The pivot system (or lack there of) in maya is one of the last hurdles that drives me bonkers.
Offline , Polycount.com Editor, 14,631 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Seattle, Wa Send a message via MSN to Mark Dygert  

Old (#21)
Destructive? Just go to modify > center pivot or make a shelf button. One click BOOM.

Old (#22)
Right, boom there goes each objects history and any custom pivot placement they might have had.

If I had the pivots for each object set to places other then center? Where is the one click button to move them back? For example I have tank treads with the pivot set to the pin joint not the objects center.

Combining and breaking apart objects just to get a shared pivot point is needlessly tedious and yes, destructive. I could be using the history stacks in each object, Doesn't combining and splitting them off again destroy their individual history?

It's easier to have a button that enables a shared selection pivot center point, temporarily, without destruction or tedious steps. It's one of those things you don't know how useful it is until you use it. Sure there are ways to brute force butcher your way around it but in this case its something Maya lacks that Max has. It's simple, clean and very fast. They're getting there, and they've improved the pivot system a tiny bit in 2008 but they have a way to go.

I know I just stirred up a sh!t storm of controversy by saying Maya lacks something... Feel free to flame me in PM but it would be awesome if we could keep the Max/Maya debate out of this thread.

Last edited by Mark Dygert; 06-11-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old (#23)
First of all, I didn't reply to start a flame war, between Maya and Max, I replied to help out with a solution I thought would help.

I've used Max for 9 years and Maya for 8, and while I prefer one workflow over another, I'll always try and find a solution in whatever package I'm working in. Just because one package doesnt have a button for moving a pivot isn't a reason for a wall of text.

The solution I offered was based on the problem I was posed with. There are more ways to skin a cat, if the mel script works, it's all good.

~j~

*edit* Kodde's video actually worked but pixeldamage didn't realise it immediately. Everyone wins.

Last edited by Juju; 06-11-2009 at 08:14 AM..

Old (#24)
I wasn't accusing you of flaming nor was I flaming you, just trying to keep the thread tidy and concise and avoid a derailing.

Wall o' text was to explain how the pivot system as it is desired to work, and how the one button fix isn't always going to get people what they need.

And Kodde's example only appears to look like it is working because of the simplicity and arrangement of the scene, read Clay's post right under the video example. We're after a common pivot point based on the center of the currently selected objects or faces.

This pivot is not a fixed point, it finds the center of the selection. Kodde's video looks like it works because the new object center is close to where a center of the selection would be. If he selected only two faces or moved the objects pivot, it would still transform around the objects pivot not a common selection center for each selection.

Last edited by Mark Dygert; 06-11-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old (#25)
I read Clays post. However pixeldamage was the one we were trying to help and it appears as if his problem is solved. Case closed.