Congrats on the official inclusion of custom maps into the game!
For anyone wanting a quick summary, skip to the bottom.
Art on the first page, its a bread crumb, remember why they are coming to your site. Gallery > Resume > Contact. A site should be a means to an end, and never obtrusive or cumbersome. You have a bit of both mixed in =/
[rambling about bread crumbs]
Your bread crumbs should be like a crack rock the size of your head. They should drive people to want to see more and should be freely given. If you spill the whole cart of bread crumbs on the first page, they'll love it. As they feverishly click on your art to get their next fix they find themselves 2min in and having devoured your whole site and still hungry for more. It ends in them being so impressed that they skip your resume, they skip calling and knock on your door. As you answer they toss a black hood over your head and all you hear is the squealing of a vans tires as you're whisked away to work as a rockstar at some amazing company. That my-friend, is the power of bread crumbs when done right.
[/rambling about bread crumbs]
- When you make your demo reel, keep it short and simple. Avoid blank title screens and over the top music. Remember to keep it short and simple with lots of bread crumbs.
Don't put powdered cleanser in their cocaine, they'll hate you for it...
Unless 5min is a requirement you need to cut that down. Probably 1-2min-ish? Granted these are supplemental to your demo reel so a little extra time can be taken but consider that...
- Typically you have about 20-30 seconds to sell the next 15-30 seconds. If its too long they might skip around and miss some really awesome nuggets, like the house exploding or the heli's raining fire down on the camera. It's not that screeners have ADD, its that their time is limited, they have a lot of links to click, music they might not like, to listen to, you have a finite amount of time to grab their attention.
This webinar about animation demo reels also applies pretty heavily to game demo reels too.
(Warning: he rambles worse then me sometimes...)
- Game trailer, music video or showcasing what you did?
While impressive it doesn't showcase what you did or how you did it. Overhead views, paths, choke points, scripting of events, AI, custom content. All in laymen terms for people not familiar with the game.
- While I personally liked your music selection, I found myself starting to drift and pay attention to the musics lyrics about the 3rd time a helicopter was shot down, (ok I get it you hate heli's heh). Probably go with something a bit quieter, sometimes letting the game sound through can help.
So quick recap:
- More bread crumbs, more often in a shorter amount of time.
- They come to see your work not read text and figure out how to get to your work.
- Make the nav as simple and fast as possible.