Home Technical Talk

Wacom tablet: Configure the pressure curve more efficiently

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
funshark polycounter lvl 16
Found this on conceptart.org right now.
It may be interesting for some guys :)

http://junkyardsam.blogspot.com/2009/02/wacom-cintiq-driver-manual-adjustment.html

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Snap, that's right!

Maybe it explains while some apps felt funny recently.
    It's really obvious when looking at the blue pressure 'sensor' bar in the driver. Even at the lowest/softer settings, you have to press crazy hard to fill it. WACOM, that's NONSENSE! Haha.

Got to try the hack asap.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent a little while messing around with it, but I ended up getting closer and closer to a really irregular curve. I lowered the pressure required for 'full', and then raised the 'deadzone' at 0 sensitivity since the default always felt far too light, like I almost have to take my fingers off the pen and just let it rest against my hand. This seemed to make sense as I was doing it, but after I started playing around in photoshop afterward it was almost impossible to generate a smooth stroke (like the light -> hard -> light stroke that appears in the window as you customize your brushes). Back to default for me!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Loving it!

PressureCurveControlPoint 10 0 256 512 512 1023
    = makes sculpting awesome again.

I guess it's only a matter of time until someone comes up with a ghetto custom Wacom preference editor utility!!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    errm i prefer the default setting. this was just weird

perhaps i am missing something.

The way i paint is not too loose so having to press harder suits the way I work
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz> This hack is only suited for people who do have difficulties with pressure parameters... It's obvious that if you don't have any problems with them, you don't need to change anything.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh ok. its good though, just messing around with it made me realize cs3 was not working with

pressure sensitivity.

fixed now though
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    This is neat.

If I had a wish though (well not just any wish, say a wish I had to use on some photoshop thing) it would be for the 'pen pressure' in PS to be somehow modifiable.

Difficult to explain but maybe like this:

pressure 0-1 -> flow 50%-100%

or..

pressure 0-1 -> angle 85-95

it would let me setup certain things that currently I can't. Size has soome sort of workaround for this (minimum size slider) but if it was done my way for each one it would just work.

A little thing but would be useful to me. there's always 100 workarounds to these things but like I say, if I had a photoshop-centric wish to spend.... :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    might try this out shortly - just wondering tho since we're sidestepping the wacom control panel here, does that mean these modifications have to be made again and again? what happens if the control panel resaves it's preferences file for some reason? will it respect the manual changes (provided we're not modifying the pressure values in question)?
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the tool link, lampoly!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cool .. don't need it bc I' working in hard-mode :)

but saved to hdd this tut I have :)