Home General Discussion

Max or Maya?

Question it looks like a lot of Companies are using Maya now when I first started doing CG four years ago I started in Max then I used Maya for a year and a half then I went back to Max modeling. all this was because of the schools that I went to and then graduated from after I left school this December they stated using Maya. I liked Maya but have gotten use to Max.

What is the main program houses are using and which one do the professionals use the most? Need help with this!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    need highpoly mechanical modelling? Max
    need animation ? Maya

That was easy :P
    Also, tech talk.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen a shift recently for certain studios moving back to Max from Maya, but also more studios moving away from Max or Maya to Lightwave or XSI.

We use Max for modelling and animate in Motionbuilder.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Arctura; he wasnt asking your opinion on best software.

I browse a lot of UK game company websites/game job ads and the types of 3d software knowledge they look for I'd say is around 65% max, 30% maya and 5% other stuff.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Arctura000 wrote: »

Unwrapping workflow:

2.Max
    3.XSI
    4.every other program

Well, sorry to say this, but this goes to show just how heavily biased you are. I wish you could spend more time using various apps before assigned them a rank.

Let me explain. In my time using Max for UVmapping, the best advice I've been given from many Max users is to "use something else". This is usually one of the mini-apps you listed first. Max's UV mapping tools alone, are the worst I've ever used. IMHO, that puts it behind "every other program".
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    To answer the thread. Most companies today use Autodesk. Learn them all. With apps link Zbrush, Silo, Xnormal, Crazybump, etc. The big apps are just pipeline tools.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    Well, sorry to say this, but this goes to show just how heavily biased you are. I wish you could spend more time using various apps before assigned them a rank.

Let me explain. In my time using Max for UVmapping, the best advice I've been given from many Max users is to "use something else". This is usually one of the mini-apps you listed first. Max's UV mapping tools alone, are the worst I've ever used. IMHO, that puts it behind "every other program".

Then I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have no idea what you're talking about, and the people who told you to "use something else" also don't know what they're talking about. Max has some solid and powerful UV tools, if you don't know how to use them effectively it's your fault, not Max's.

Basically this a recurring theme in the 3d community - uninformed people making snap decisions on tools they don't know how to use... and those same uninformed people then informing other users about how terrible the tools were. Really, it's laughable.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Something I usually tell people at work when they start talking about "X" 3d package is better than "Y" 3d package because ...

"It's a poor artist that blames his/her tools."

I've used 3ds max and Maya, both to a level that I feel comfortable in their respective environments. I'm fairly confident that I could pick up just about any 3d app if it was required of me. You're going to fail right out of the gate if you already have some kind of predisposition about a certain app.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    As much as I like some of the unwrapping tools in Max, I still hate that it makes me go through silly modifiers and stuff to access them, instead of just being an extra sub-component type like vertices/edges/faces as it should be. That alone often makes me switch to maya when unwrapping (but in the end, I do most of the unwrapping in roadkill, and just rearrange/fix/pack/etc in other software).

But yeah, 3dsmax seems the most common in the industry, for modeling at least, just keep an open mind and be ready to learn another software when moving around different companies. That's what happened to me, learned maya when switching jobs and I'm really happy I know both now, gives you a better view of how things could be better in one or the other.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the main program houses are using and which one do the professionals use the most? Need help with this!

First let me tell you empirically: on our Tech Art Techniques Panel at GDC this year, we polled the audience on what software they use. Last year, almost exactly half said Max, same said Maya, there were less than a dozen between everything else. This year, it was about the same.

The trend I have seen that is not backed up by empirical data but only my own observations, is that major studios have been and are moving from Max to Maya. We are one of very, very few EA studios (in fact I don't know of one other but I assume they exist) who use Max primarily. And Edmonton is starting to use Maya for future projects. The reason for this is clear- Max sucks at pipeline, which movie houses have known all along.

That said, there are two other trends I've noticed:
    First, small studios tend to use Max. This is reflective of the talent pool and the usually older people starting them, and should be no suprise. It is uncommon that I've found a small (<30 people) studio using anything other than Max. But likewise, it is increasingly uncommon for big studios to use Max exclusively, as explained above.
    Second, large studios, especially those who were using Max exclusively, are moving to split pipelines. Sometimes it is using Max for environment and Maya for animation/characters, as I know many studios do. Also some studios such as Voliiton and Bungie are becoming app agnostic, by writing abstracted tools in C# or Python, that are implemented in any program supporting .NET or Python.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    actually arctura the most recent version of maya (2009) has some new UV tools that are really rocking. I usually would slap my models in road kill for a fast and sloppy start but lately I've found myself just doing everything in maya again.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never used anything other than Maya to lay out my UV's. I select the object, hit the create automatic UV's, and I have it set to fewest pieces possible, or something like that. Than manipulate them in a way I see fit.

Is there an easier more efficient way of doing this?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Methods and best practices of UV mapping in any application is a discussion enough to fill its own thread. There are many, many different approaches, some more useful than others depending on what kind of objects you're making and how you're going to texture them.

I would only start getting worried once you find out that someone else can UV-map the same model in half the time that you can. That would indicate that there are better ways...
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not sure what relevance UV mapping has to the original discussion.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    actually arctura the most recent version of maya (2009) has some new UV tools that are really rocking. I usually would slap my models in road kill for a fast and sloppy start but lately I've found myself just doing everything in maya again.

Arghh, so many good reasons to switch from 8.5 to 2009, but I really, really don't want to because of my extreme hate of the viewcube and the amount of use I get out of the viewcompass...:poly127:

...Really need to get our scripting guy at work to teach me enough that I can hack together even a small floating menu to do what the viewcompass does...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    max and maya both have their own strengths and weeknesses, but that's not the point of this discussion. Really their use is so evenly divided that I can only suggest 2 things: first, try them both, get comfortable with both, and then see which one you personaly like working with more and stick to that. Alternativly, you could check all the major devs that you'd like to work for and see what is most commonly used by them and go for that.

Many studios use multiple packages these days, sometimes taking a 'whatever the artist is most comfortable with' approach, or other times having different teams on different projects useing certain packages. I havn't seen any major shifts where package X is being abandoned for package Y, and if that does happen in the future I doubt it'll be between max or maya.
  • jpgourley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keeping on topic, all of the Foundation 9 studios use Maya across the board. We also use proprietary programs and tools developed within F9. I would follow PolyHertz's suggestion. Get comfortable with both of them, master one of them. If you know one 3D app inside and out you'll have no problem learning another very quickly. At our studio there are only 2 artists recently hired who had any previous Maya experience before being hired. All of the other artists picked up Maya on the job. Just make sure to prove your ability, anyone can learn a new app, it's what you're able to create that's going to matter.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The trend I have seen that is not backed up by empirical data but only my own observations, is that major studios have been and are moving from Max to Maya. We are one of very, very few EA studios (in fact I don't know of one other but I assume they exist) who use Max primarily.

Mythic uses max, I'm a former Maya user but I'm not sure how happy I'd be going back to it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've heard people say its easier to go from max to maya than it is maya to max. I started with max and went maya, without many problems (after a some scripts and plugins). Knowing both will stand you in good stead
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I think Astrozombie hit the nail on the head. Just learn one and stick with it. If a studio makes you switch there will be a short time period where you adjust. It's just a tool and they are all do the same thing.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anything beats maya 7... :*(
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    j_bradford wrote: »
    I think Astrozombie hit the nail on the head. Just learn one and stick with it. If a studio makes you switch there will be a short time period where you adjust. It's just a tool and they are all do the same thing.

Yup.

Took me less than a week to get the fundamentals.

There's also plenty of cross-platform documentation written, along with plenty of scripts that will help you emulate one or the other.

But yeh, I'm also seeing quite the trend of studios switching from Max to Maya.

:/
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using both for a couple years now every day. They both have their strengths. The export tools at a studio will likely only be for one or the other though. So you need to know how to set your scene up in that application at minimum.

It's unclear to me how many studios use this or that application. I took a job at Radical without having hardly ever used Maya. I just had to learn it real quick like :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its not always the case that cg studios use maya or xsi. i worked at an advertising studio

recently and they used max exclusively.

I find max and maya fairly similar anyway, so it s never caused me a huge problem switching

between the two.
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Maya for 3 years, I've used Max for 5 months and I wouldn't go back

For me having a good realtime view of the model is one of the most important things. Max's viewport beats the hell out of Maya's in nearly every way
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    anyways, notebookguy, I think you're in a good place because you're familiar with both programs. When I had to switch to Max, a program I hadn't used for almost 5 years, it took maybe 2 nights with some 3dbuzz tutorials and the 30 day trial of max to get back in gear.

One lesson I learned, if the art test doesn't specify what program to use, don't ask!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Start a poll for artists who are actually employed at game companies to figure out what companies are most commonly using right now.

My studio uses both, but we do a lot of work for different companies that uses either Max or Maya. A lot of companies will have a primary production package, but often let artists use other tools somewhere along the pipeline.

My suggestion, is look what the job listings are asking for in your area. If 80% of them ask for Maya experience, focus on that. If it's Max... Same thing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yep get to know how to do the basics in both then learn the important stuff in whichever takes your fancy, this stuff will be be totally transferable as both can do everything, they just have different workflows.

actura000- IMO y0ou are so wrong, having workied in max for years, gone to maya for 2 then back to max, mayas unwrapper totally wipes maxes face in the dirt for speed. add roadkill into the mix which works way better than any of maxes tools, and you can unwrap complex models in minutes.

but back to topic- its the knowledge of restrictions and artistic skill that will get you hired not the package you can use.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I have Milkshape for life tattoed on my ass....

I use max
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Max. Especially when it comes to modeling and unwrapping. I use Max at work while another artist uses Maya, and when it comes to unwrapping, texturing, and rendering, he frequently complains about minor limitations and things Maya does (or doesn't do) that makes things difficult for him, whereas I pretty much never seem to have problems with Max.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    BE A MAN! Learn both! >:D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Animating/Rigging/Skinning:

Maya is the king of rigging, skinning and animating. Max is okay, but tends to favor the biped (max's baby), and lets custom rigging kind of fall to the wayside. Max's Bipeds are really good for beginners and intermediates, as well as being fairly plug-and-play with mocap. However experts and professionals will usually tell you Maya cant be beat for this sort of thing, Bipeds end up being more trouble than good if you are looking to do anything particularly advanced. Non-humanoid rigging and animating is what maya does better than the rest.
    I have a few things to add to this. Bones, IK, constraints, script controllers all the same. Max may have biped but there is also PuppetShop which is free. To get anything even close for Maya you're left with The Setup Machine which is pretty decent, but costs, and isn't nearly as robust as biped let alone PuppetShop. I'd also like to see something more specific that one does the other doesn't.
    Uv-editor window often bugs out with illogical/invalid/non-manifold shapes. (ie. lines or stray vertexes)
    If you're talking about relax crumpling up a UV piece like it was a piece of tinfoil in a twister, then you first need to flip the piece. More then likely the piece is inside out or wrong reading. Select > Select Inverted Faces. Whatever it highlights it will try to flip it right reading while it relaxes. That's probably the least documented most common "bug" people run into when using 3dsmax.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Use unfold instead of relax in Maya. To me relax tool is only good for certain stuff like characters. Unfold to me from Maya is the equivalent of Relax in Max.

Oh yeh does anyone no if theres a toggle shaded uv display equivalent in Max, where it shows which uvs are flipped and which is stacked ontop of each other.