Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Sputch

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sputch polycounter lvl 18
Crunchin' for work right now so no sketches just yet, but a HARIBLE monster be gestatin' in me head lump to be sure. Fighting for the Green Teeth.

*UPDATE LATEST*

McGoon_ZbrushWIP.jpg

body_sketch03.jpg

Replies

• Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew! Finally got an hour to get something down. I was going to do a demon cuz they're always fun, but then I realized that the winners of the past have always been kind of on the dark side and wouldn't it be challenging to make a wholesome Normy Norm type who also looked like he could kick ass to tempt the judges? And to make things just a lil' trickier I opted for the steed route. I realize this concept doesn't say "kick ass" just yet, but I want to show the gist of where I'm going. I will be making that stag as beefed out as I can (part deer, part clydesdale, part belgian blue cow, and a lil wart hog) plus probably give him some righteous armour.
    Still have no idea about the rider... Can't wait for the weekend!!! Everybody's stuff is looking awesome!

sketch01.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I think a sabre-toothed moose has a certain inherent kick-assness.
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    A moose is like a tank :)
    anyways, I think you might want to make the steed less like a moose with some warthog fangs and really mix up some more things in him. I'm not sure if it will work in your favor if the judges see a guy riding a moose. That familiarity might work against you.

Maybe add another set of legs, or make one set of legs with paws, etc?
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to suggest you give it a big lions mane too, kind of like this character:

forest_spirit%5B2%5D.jpg

Might establish that alpha quality a bit more.

Also, envision the rider wearing layers of animal furs, maybe some covering his face and carries a big long spear or ranged weapon. A sling with polycount spheres would be adequate.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's a Qi-lin isn't it? You could do some interesting traditional Japanese typed stuff with him as a mount.
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody,
    Thanks for the input. Every one of those crits was useful. I did some more work on the steed, but I'm beginning to seriously lose conviction that this is the best way to go. I feel like the big horned steed is going to be obscuring too much of the rider and ultimately neither will be showcased properly. Guh. Should probably explore other options and soon! For the record though, I like the bottom right one. Sorry, I didn't number them, next time.

sketches03.jpg
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Phew* Man, I was really losing momentum there. Fortunately this latest sketch, while not terrific has given me a direction I feel can hold my attention for the long haul. Basically, Scottish rugby player slash samurai slash Mad Maxish punk badass. I was kinda thinking up a story while I worked on it.
    This guy is like a warlord king descended from a fanatical clan of rugby players who have honed brute force and chi into devastating magic they channel through their bodies and weapons. His weapon will be made from the bones of his mightiest ancestors, as strong and dense as steel and imbued with their terrible destructive power.
    And uh, his steed, his steed is descended from a race of fanatical polo players...yeah, that's the ticket.
    I want to mix lots of sports equipment, fur and Japanese styling together and see what comes out. Should be fun, but I gotta catch up here! Everybody's rockin' it so hard!

bust_sketch.jpg
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Sigh* Still pretty slow going, but I'm feeling happy with where the concept is going. I haven't worked out what is going on with his back yet. I'd really like to put some taller elements poking off of it to give some more majesty to his silhouette without being too impractical looking. Some kind of war banner thing, or a big shield he carries there.

body_sketch03.jpg

I started on the 3D while I was thinking. Seems like a lot of people start in Zbrush and THEN build their low res after. Is that a better way to go? Pros? Cons? I've never done a normal mapped character before and I would really like to learn as much as I can through this process.

wireframe01.jpg
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrushin! Haven't done much with shoes and shorts and the rest is still in the early stages, but it's coming along. Gotta figure out subtools now. This is harder than I thought!
    I named him Chieftain McGoon btw.

McGoon_ZbrushWIP.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work so far, the sculpt looks fairly soft at the moment are you going to try and keep some of that angular comic book feel of the concept? also his elbows dont look like they would reach his belly button so his bicep/upperarm is probably too small or short
  • engelik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the 3d version needs a bit more work.. it's not quite as the concept yet.. lacks some gesture and better defined shapes :)

about your question..
    quoting Rick Stirling:
    "Q. Should I build the lowpoly or highpoly first?
    A. It's up to you.
    * Some people build a lowpoly model, then up-res it and sculpt it.
    * Some people build and sculpt a high resolution model and then build a new low poly model around that.
    * Some people build a low res model, upscale that, sculpt and detail it, then step down a few levels of detail and usd use that as their low poly (or as a base for building a better lowpoly)."

in this threat:
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=48305

it's really the result that counts ;)