Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Vig

I'm in.
Let the terrible and horrific carnage that precedes polycounts victory, begin!

-EDIT- Latest images on top, earlier progress below.

Description:
LaVey Steelmen is a Satanic Sanitation Engineer. He's the son of a higher level demon lord that has never been pleased with anything LaVey does. He finds his human appearance disgusting and has forced him into hells sanitation division in order for him to learn from the ground up what its like to rule in one of hells many subdivisions.

Most janitors find baby alligators. LaVey found something else. He is not exactly sure what wretched pile of nastiness he cleaned up that imbued his mop with the ability to paint portals of green bile that call out his heavy weight friend but he's thankful for the extra brawn. Especially now his unique gift has been called up to the front lines to help unleash hells fury.

5/18
Finals:
Thumbnail
Thumb.gif

Text
Text00.jpg

Beauty
Beauty02.jpg

Presentation
Presentation00.jpg

Construction
Construction00.jpg

Texture
Terxture01.jpg

Concept(s)Concepts00.jpg

Work In Progress Images:
5/12
5/07
5/05
5/04
4/30
4/29
4/28
4/25
4/24
4/23
4/07
3/27
3/26
3/17
3/16

Replies

• whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    i think i spy large wads of meat, with little polycount logo stickers stuck to them, falling from the sky as we speak.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You know you're never going to live it down if you let that irritant get the better of you.

Make us proud, lad.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Time to get your ass kicking boots on mate, lets drill the competition into the ground and make em beg for mercy.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    -_- you know I'll be bugging you every day about finishing this, better see something vig!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    !beef is the best motivator! I got both of your threads book marked in a separate sub-folder

*ding ding ding*
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Vig, I hope you post with unwavering brutality in mind, watching and waiting...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    !beef is the best motivator! I got both of your threads book marked in a separate sub-folder

*ding ding ding*

trash talking does do wonders to finish work :p
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    trash talking does do wonders to finish work :p

did I miss something?
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Vig, I really miss your avatar, you don't seem to be the same without your red buddy... give it back! :D

Good luck for the war! Crush 'em!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I split my time yesterday hanging out with the family for the last time (for a few weeks anyway) and getting CFT_Decker ready for beta. I plan to release beta while I work on DW4, should be enough time to gather a list of bugs and plan out the fixes.

Got up a little early this morning and knocked out 3 warm ups. I'll probably do more on lunch. I haven't settled on a race yet, but my gut went for demon.
    DW4Thumbnails00.jpg
    Left: A carved up rack of horns, mix of natural armor and man made. meh..antlers.

Middle: Abomination. Humans are about as big as his thumbs are long. Walks on his hands, tentacles for arms, coming out of his head. Big egg sack where his legs should be. This normally sits protected in his thrown. These grow like pustules and minions slop out when they burst. Might change it to a warp gate, where minions flood out...

Right: Head is flanked by tentacles. Tentacles have two big dark eyes embedded in them, with 8 sided runes floating in wispy liquid. They are used to pass judgment, none of them are "happy" or "try again later". Might move them from the tentacles down to big orbs on the chest.

Also kicking around an idea for a demon prince. A slick, cocky, gambler/entertainer type demon prince in a disheveled tux, who looks like he's had a really rough (but fun) night in Vegas. During a really big bet the demon lord warped him to the front of the battle field to to lead the first charge.

Hey, if you where a demon prince would you be rolling around atop a flesh tank preparing your troops for war, or would you let pops handle the prep work and be out on the town with a limo full of hot chicks... It's not like its going to be a hard fight.

I'll probably do a round of bots next, then maybe back to work on the demon prince.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's back! It's back! but... wait... what the hell? is it frozen? are its batteries dead? Let's give it a shock and bring it back to life, it's soo cool, a whole inspiration in a single avatar 8)

About concepts I like the third, waiting to see more :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it was my avatar before the boards switched over and limit was lowered, I completely forgot it was more or less grandfathered in with all the old avatars. I forgot about that, and went to change it to my other animated avatar I used for past DomWars:
    slugo_war.gif

The messed up thing is it didn't warn me it was over the limit, it just took the first frame and blurred it horribly, nice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC3zX2ijkrU
    The warjack was part of an animation I was working on in 2007-ish?
    Some day I'll go back and fix the timing and speed of it and the camera, do some proper particle effects, actually do the cannon ball shot that should go wizzing past the camera, relight it, and render it properly. But that's right up there on my to-do list with redoing my site... wee... But first things first.

On the drive into work, I think I settled on the Demon Prince/playboy. Now that I look at the warm ups, I'm not sure I like any of them =/ But I'm going to still flesh out a few bot ideas and see if I can make anything out of them.

OK got some real work to do before I dive back into any of this at lunch time...

Edit: GAH why won't the forum let me paste just a youtube link, I don't want the video stinkin up this thread... oh well...
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful animation. I like your Khador Destroyer very much, and will miss it in the avatar (Adam, why you killed it? why?). If you don't want the video in this thread, try to uncheck "automatically embed media", it should avoid the YouTube screen, not sure.

I could recognize the Metal Slug tank, it's quite fun, but it didn't seem to work as well :(

EDIT: YAY! The Red One is back! And alive! Now you can really punch a hole in all PC's enemies! Good luck! :poly140:
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    go get'em ROCK
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    back to thumbs, i'm really liking the right one, has a lot of potential.:)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I kind of dig the crazy antlers on the left thumb-- looking forward to more!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4Thumbnails01.jpg
    4) A few quick sketches of the gambler demon prince. His demon side would come through more in the appearance of his skin. The face would be pretty much human but from the jawline down would be flakey hardened ashy lava-ish with glowing lava runes and cracks. I switched up the suit a little went more with south western rhinestone suit idea. Might go back to the playboy tux idea...
    5) In case that isn't enough to push the demon side, I tossed in more MANTLERS* I liked the antler rack idea from the first one...

I tried out alchemy for a few bot ideas, interesting app but I'll have to refine the sketches a bit. Alchemy, makes great leaf monsters... I might just bag the bots all together and work on refining the demons a bit more, some bigger sketches, more time taken.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Vig, I like the idea. Maybe give him a small third arm partially covered by his jacket holding and Ace of Polycount ;)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • notebookguy
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry vig number 2 on the top batch (original ones) is more interesting versus dogma style demon :\ to generic for my taste not interesting of a silhouette
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even with the giant rack of Mantlers? heh!

Yea I can see where the silhouette isn't as exciting as some of the Alchemy leaf monsters that seem to be running rampant everywhere, but I think it fits the brief for the Demon Prince pretty well, they are roughly normal with a few demon characteristics but with all the powers of a demon lord. Small fist, big punch.

I like the idea of a demon being so skillfully powered, nothing can touch him and doesn't really see a need to adorn himself with clunky bulky mecha armor. I also like the idea that he doesn't even bother preparing for war, just shows up and handles it.

I've always been way more impressed by characters like; Magneto, Dr. Manhattan, Liz Sherman (fire starter chick in hellboy), Gandalf, and others like them, more then meat heads like Juggernaut and the hulk.

If I don't go gambler demon it'll probably be 3 or 2. I started to refine the bots and I just can't get as excited about them.

Too much text not enough doing...
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    dont forget his weapon.. i assume a blackjack?

http://www.sharpchoice.com/pics/BlackJackL.jpg

also some set of dice would be nice so he can shoot some craps in the alley to determine his victims fate...
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vig, I was thinking about your demon prince. The tris budget this year is 10.000, and if you dress your charcter in a dandy suit, it should be quite inexpensive in tris count terms. What do you think about making a demon looking quite normal except for one subtle but eye catching detail, as you said, and add to him something like a shadow raising from him or behind him, demon shaped, with antlers, horns, spikes, claws and so on, maybe only the upper half, playing with transparencies and emissive maps? Or what about something like an "evil black aura". It just reminded me the "Elfen Lied" anime series, with invisible arms tearing apart everything on the main character's path, just less sci-fi and more demoniac.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason Vig, I thought you would be representing Polycont with robots? Maybe it's due to your avatar:)

Spark
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I like the idea behind the concept and i partially agree with your opinion on the leaf monster thing haha.

I think sync has a point with some weirder superpowers and whatnot attributing to your character. Hellsing and most notably Alucard is relatively plane by the leaf monster standard but he backs it up with a fuckton of cool;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz8CWnLxeVk[/ame]

1:55 -> 3:20 | 4:20 -> 7:00 | 7:40 -> 9:00

-edit; how can i make that not display the youtube clip in full? I'd rather it not take up a shitload of space...

Apologies for the shitty youtube AMV and you also miss some of the badass dialog which is part of his charm. But i think that hes plenty inspiring all the same!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia, I like the dice idea, they'd have to be loaded... I might take the Magic-8-Ball-of-death-sentences idea from 3 and turn it into a little charm he wears either around his neck or wrist. Or maybe its just a crystal ball, that sees into the future, shows the victim how they'll die...

SyncViewS, cool ideas. I had thought about doing a few glowing transparencies but manifesting his power in some kind of form could be pretty cool. I'll have to play around with that, thanks! Elfen Lied huh? Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out, thanks again!

Spark, heh yea bots are fun to do. But they seem to be harder to pack character into without humanizing it, or making it cute or toonish. Plus I'd like to push myself in a new direction. Outside of character animation and environment work I've not done a lot of character modeling or design.

Jackwhat, That was pretty badass, thanks for the link. I know I should probably have seen that already but I haven't, so thanks for digging up the video. A static shot just wouldn't have gotten the point across. I can't say I'm hot on the character design but I see what you're saying about being inspiring, I'll have to dig up some more that was pretty awesome. If not for ref, but just to figure out what the hell was going on ha!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Any updates on this Vig?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, nothing too pretty yet, still pretty early.
    I've got a lot going on right now, released ctf_decker to beta, getting some good feedback, also working on a side project I'm not sure I can talk about, which is actually more work (and 4x more fun) then DW4 and a much shorter deadline. I'm working on that stuff first to get it out of the way. Still working on this, just not at full capacity, yet...

Started modeling and I did a really quick rig to work on poses, still playing around with the idea of giving him a big friend, might be a made out of fire, kind of like a astral projection/manifestation of his power like was stated earlier in the thread.
    DW408.png
    DW407.pngBIPED THROW FIRE AND SMASH!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_Head00.jpg
    Managed to get some time to do some Mudbox doodling, still not confident enough with ZB to give up the Mud. ZB still feels like someone stole my thumbs... It's roughly based off of William Steelman a Serial killer from the 70's. Needs a bit more work before I call it fini.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    keep after it Vig!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Vig, cmon. Think of the shame of losing to me.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_02.jpg
    Progress. Like I said, I have a lot of stuff going on right now but I said I'm in to finish and I will.

I know its asking a lot of you (blenderhead) but it would be great if you kept your comments, constructive. You can stop wondering if I'll finish, when I say I'll do something, I do it. You could only hope for a cheap win like that.

Comments, suggestions, cares, harsh crits always welcome.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    how the hell is that 5000 tris? ohhh the reference guy, um.. anyways looking good so far vig. Its got a great cartoony vibe going.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    WOOT WOOT
    Are those lips welded together?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory, they're both roughly 2,500 with a cap of 3,500 each, with 3k for special effects, a force field, fire balls. His big gut shield/strap, will be something he takes off and swings around
    I'm a little tossed, I was originally thinking of having a demon prince with a big magical partially transparent flaming demo he summons, kind of like Green Lantern makes things with his power/ring. But now I might just push ahead with the bigger demon and leave the prince behind... not sure... will have to think about it.

sahib, not yet, I'll probably do a set of low poly teeth so I can snarl his mouth and angry him up a bit.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont get your panties in a twist.

You might want to reconsider the scale between the two...maybe go for something like what got second place last year (scale wise :P); and what way is the big guy gonna articulate? His knees are in the middle of his legs, so I can't see how he would move. If you made his knees face backwards people could imagine him walking around better.

Always think about how your characters (especially fictional made up ones) are going to move.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the scale makes it a little hard to fit them both in the shot, I probably will shrink the bigger guy down quite a bit.

Backwards knee? How does that work?

Dog, horse, goat, chicken, mech legs, all are slightly modified humanoid legs, they just have their heels off the ground and walk on their toes. Same bones facing the same ways working with the same mechanics just slightly different proportions and weight distribution.

What you probably mistake for a backwards knee is actually the heel?

The difference is that those animals walk on their tip toes and their heels hardly ever touch the ground. I've rigged up legs like this before and never had trouble getting them to move around. As I blocked it out I imagined where the joints would go, as an animator who does a lot of rigging, I can't help but do it.
    DW4_03.jpg
    I might change the hooves to bird/raptor feet... but it won't really change the rig that much, just add more toe bones. If you'd like me to point out how the IK flows I can, but its pretty straight forward. Of course I'll have to model out the joints sometime soon also.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_05.gifDW4_05.jpg
    DW4_04.gif
    Attached the horns, arms, did some 3 finger hands, modeled out some of the joints and tweaked the hooves.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_06.jpg
    Working on a weapon, I'll keep the belly shield where it is and add a few other misc pieces of clothing/trinkets. I was going to have him take off and swing the shield around, but he looks naked without it.

Still have half a dozen things to tidy up before I start unwrapping, not to mention a few thousand polys of FX.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Is that a satanic fly swatter? I like the level of humor here.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, yea a fly swatter. They have big flies in hell... I should give one of them a hat with corks hanging from the brim =P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_07.jpg
    Changing the little demon prince from a gambler in a snappy suit, to a Janitor that uses his bucket of filthy bile to paint portals on the ground, portals that his little friend comes through. If I had time I would make him Christopher Walkin from Joe Dirt (the only good part of that movie). But I'll settle for using the head I have, with some minor changes, and jumpsuit instead.

DW4_08.jpg
    Started blocking out the base, and played around with some rough lighting, did some hands for the little guy, and cleaned up a few areas.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    haha, that's kickass dude. Good luck getting everything done though, I wanna see this finished!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeVay Steelmen the SSE (Satanic Sanitation Engineer) I might write down the back story of how these two came to be a team. Bottom line, have respect for janitors...
    DW4_09.jpg
    - Finished optimizing, 7,373 tris. That's everything except the base.
    - Unwrapped to one sheet, I still have a few blank areas for special effects, but this one sheet stuff is pretty wonky, but I bet makes judging easier?
    - Blocked in base colors, lots of painting left to do... I'll probably make greentooth a bit more stylized and stamped into the shield instead of painted on, looks a bit cheesey right now.
    - Rigged (the big guy) worked on poses, so far I like this one the best. Need to clean up a few areas where the verts are messy.
    - The little guy isn't posed yet, probably going to have him leaning on his mop with a slime trail leading to the portal pool he just finished painting.
    - Probably will have Green drippy bits coming off the big guy because he just emerged out of the pool, his whip will be covered in the stuff and tip probably glowing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW4_11.jpg
    Thanks to Elliott for the lighting and pose suggestions.
    - I cleaned up a bunch of stray verts, still a few left to go.
    - Didn't get much of a chance to paint anything other then block in the face and the tats.
    - I also put a description in the first post in case you're wondering whats going on.
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Hmm it's becoming naughty :D
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    The janitor idea is hilarious and the characters forms combine really well !

Howevr, I'm going to state the obvious and say the demon is really lacking a sculpting pass on zbrush - maybe the recently announced 7 days extension will help ?

Best of luck, looking forward to seeying this finished !