Author : AneeshaRode

Old (#1)
hi, just finished the high poly model of my tank concept, did a quick texture and a scene render. I plan on creating a low poly version of this.

heres a bit about the tank:
A futuristic tank concept made for carrying soldiers into the battlefield. Tank is equipped with a rail gun, features two entrances and exits in the front and back. Tank is designed for desert warfare coping with desert terrain and climate.

all crits are wellcome,

details

concept sketches

Offline , null, 15 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location London, UK  

Old (#2)
I think it looks great.

out of curiosity, how many polys is something like that?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,024 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#3)
Damn, that is some mighty fine work.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,639 Posts, Join Date Jul 2005, Location Texas  

Old (#4)
sexy for sure
Offline , triangle, 392 Posts, Join Date Jul 2007,  

Old (#5)
Damn fine tank. Is that pillar there for size?
Offline , triangle, 451 Posts, Join Date Jun 2008, Location Timisoara, Romania Send a message via MSN to InProgress  

Old (#6)
dis is nice!

like the "real" shots a lot.. are they photo based or how are they made?
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,235 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location munich, germany  

Old (#7)
that's very cool.
are those very fine details just heightmaps, shown on the grey renders? please tell me you didn't zbrush that
Offline , MoP, 11,626 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location London, UK  

Old (#8)
hey thanks guys for all you're comments

bounchfx its not much as i didn't need to zbrush it, its around 5 millon mostly the tracks

InProgress yea that pillar is a size of a person, its quite a big tank made for carrying troops of soldiers.

rollin the render scene is abit of photo 3d and painting, here the cg elements i used:

MoP yea there just bump maps, didnt need to zbrush it because the detail wasn't too deep could get away with a bump map
Offline , null, 15 Posts, Join Date Nov 2008, Location London, UK  

Old (#9)
nice renders cool design
principal lighting artist @ r*north
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,524 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location edinburgh  

Old (#10)
This is great man, it looks freaking real in the renders.
Offline , polygon, 742 Posts, Join Date Nov 2007,  

Old (#11)
awesome! nice renders
- David
- davidishappy.com
Offline , triangle, 437 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location Melbourne Send a message via MSN to aniceto Send a message via Skype™ to aniceto  

Old (#12)
SWEEEEEET!!!

Any chance of you making a low poly version?
My Portfolio...in blog from
http://artofmendoza.blogspot.com
Offline , spline, 129 Posts, Join Date Jun 2006, Location Phoenix, Arizona  

Old (#13)
looks great man. i do love a good tank design. one thing though, i think the scale is a bit hard to read, maybe something more readably human size would help.
Offline , spline, 173 Posts, Join Date Oct 2007, Location toronto  

Old (#14)
I think the design of this vehicle would prolly have its size closer to a BLT's.

It looks ace though.
Portfolio: http://peterliang.wordpress.com/

CG Generalist available for work.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,094 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Canada Send a message via MSN to pliang  

Old (#15)
Excellent work! The bottom of the tread (plates) in the first render are too similar to the body of the tank in color/texture IMO, but it looks great in the following renders. I think if it was darker like in the concept it would help contrast that area to the body more. Really cool otherwise!
Offline , triangle, 254 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location California Send a message via MSN to X-Convict  

Old (#16)
not trying to be an asshole here but the armour is really poorly designed. The sloping would bounce incoming HEAT into the ground under the tank rather than away from it, and the back of the thing has a fucking epic shot funnel which would completely fuck the turret. Apart from that it has a pretty massive horizon profile with no apparant means to defend itself from frontal attack. Put it this way, if someone can design a tank which is smaller, and attack head-on, it's all over because the actual hull blocks the gun from firing down at it, if you get me. It's a great model but an ill-considered design imo.
Just from a technical standpoint.
Offline , polycounter, 988 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location melbourne Send a message via MSN to Harry Send a message via Skype™ to Harry  

Old (#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
not trying to be an asshole here but the armour is really poorly designed. The sloping would bounce incoming HEAT into the ground under the tank rather than away from it, and the back of the thing has a fucking epic shot funnel which would completely fuck the turret. Apart from that it has a pretty massive horizon profile with no apparant means to defend itself from frontal attack. Put it this way, if someone can design a tank which is smaller, and attack head-on, it's all over because the actual hull blocks the gun from firing down at it, if you get me. It's a great model but an ill-considered design imo.
Just from a technical standpoint.
this is art. it's not meant to be technically possible
http://gatoescondido.files.wordpress...vador_dali.jpg
hence this thing.
Offline , spline, 161 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009, Location Coventry, England  

Old (#18)
I suppose we should ignore all anatomy criticisms then

(stock response)

Until the OP clarifies that he has no intention of making a plausible machine of war, i stand by my point.
Offline , polycounter, 988 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location melbourne Send a message via MSN to Harry Send a message via Skype™ to Harry  

Old (#19)
Harry its a tank carrier, so its probably not designed as a front line machine, and would deploy tanks to defend, using artillery turret for long range defense of its deployed tanks.
and the downward sloping front is a great visual design that tanks do have although not all the way to the top, but they dont have forward facing ramps, and this design sheilds the ramp from attack from above.

yes it would have weaknesses, but in game design you always need weaknesses, otherwise all powerfull units would not be able to be taken down by small fast ones. A game design like this is not about slaving to reality but about creating something interesting that could be real.

personally i think its a winner, and i never want harry to get a look at any of my tank designs ;-)
principal lighting artist @ r*north
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,524 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location edinburgh  

Old (#20)
Yeah, this is awesome. I love the retro designs in it, the gun barrel and sky roof remind me of starwars era style shit. Really dope shizzle.
draw without greed
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,993 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location california Send a message via ICQ to killingpeople Send a message via AIM to killingpeople Send a message via MSN to killingpeople Send a message via Yahoo to killingpeople Send a message via Skype™ to killingpeople  

Old (#21)
Harry, the great thing about sci-fi, fantasy, and futuristic designs is that you can throw bullshit together and it's alright. That's why we can have barbarians with swords slung across their backs, rifles with chainsaws on them, and greeble blasters that shoot red plasma bolts.

It's a tank that makes no practical sense, but it's well executed, the mechanical details are excellent, and it's a cohesive visual design overall. So your point is moot, not to mention counterproductive from a concepting perspective.

Great work boogatti. The only thing I'd change is to add some more detail to the front bottom of the tank, and make the sides of the tread covers angled out to give it some more pop. As is the tank looks like a rolling box from the front. Other angles are great though.
Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,609 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005, Location Bulgaria Send a message via MSN to dfacto  

Old (#22)
Very slick render. Looking forward to the low poly. I love the design, how it feels like a mobile operations/apc/defense unit. Great scene setup and lighting as well!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,646 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009, Location North Carolina, USA Send a message via Yahoo to Firebert Send a message via Skype™ to Firebert  

Old (#23)
look unusual and nicely modeled ;)
I like more the desert version than the "regular" green one.
Great job
Offline , polygon, 602 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location Montreal, Canada  

Old (#24)
beautiful renders
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,308 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location UK  

Old (#25)
looks awesome! Do you have any tips on hard surface modeling for those of us new to the genre
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,276 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Austin, TX