Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Freddy's Fried Chicken - Small scene

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This is a portfolio job, some of the objects for this I'm hoping to display individually, not sure whether it will be animated or not yet.
It's supposed to be set in Texas, a grimy chicken shack with fat Freddy holding a skinned chicken in one hand and a cleaver in the other ;)

At this time I want to get everything done with the scene leaving the chickens and the main character till last, some may say it is better to build the scene around the character and others may say the scene first then the character.

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    hey GCMP. the work so far is pretty clean, I think you need to dirty it up a bit. Not just on the texturing, I think the modeling could use a little love. Not that the modeling isn't good here, it's just kindof boring. Maybe take some of those horizontal lines and skew them a bit to add some character? like that image you have in the middle with the truck in the foreground and the crooked building in the background.

Are you going for a stucco material on the walls of this house? If so, I would recommend putting some more of those lumber pieces (like the ones you have supporting the pointed rooftop) along the corners of the house to unify the style a bit more. This building has a strange variation of different materials all married together - give them a bit more cohesiveness and harmony by grunge-ing them similarly. I think it will help sell it more.

I like the truck in the middle photo the best, with the shitty chippy paint. I also like the overgrown grass around it. these kinds of details will help your scene immensely.

Cheers sir!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks Adam :) On with modelling the truck right now.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    STOP and evaluate your building. I live in texas and I've never seen a building that looks like that. :)

Get some reference or a concept for the building. Looooks like ur building from imagination. I could just be on the wrong side of the tracks and we could have a whole neighborhood filled with those type of buildings...

I'd say do something more like this.

http://carpedurham.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/food-019.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    oobersli : Looks like a nice reference but it's too clean and neat for what I'm aiming for here.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Diggin the truck - the design looks very similar to the one they used in Final Fantasy VII. Not a critique, just an observation </crazyFFfanboytalk>.

I like the texture work, but not the ground - then again if it's temporary, I guess that can slide. The pillars of the building though, those giant concrete slabs on the corners of the building seem a little out of proportion. The're almost too big and thick to be supporting such a tiny roof. Do you have any reference for the architecture? I'm just wondering if designs like that exist. Another note about the pillars, when compared to how nicely detailed the wood veranda is, and the roof, the pillars look kinda flat and blah.

Then there's the building as a whole ... at first glance, it's pretty nice. Textures help sell it. Then as I look at the design as a whole its like, hold on something's not quite right. I'm no architect so I can't pinpoint what's wrong exactly. But I really suggest looking at reference more closely.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a good start, the truck is taking shape =)

I think things are a bit too straight, a few cuts and some FFD and you could fix that.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks pangarang and Vig :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Made quite a few alterations to the high and low mesh as well as the unwrap which will be a 1024x512. @8653 tris for low poly (chain at back took quite a few up, tried opacity planes but they looked crappy) Calling high done unless someone would like to offer crits before any baking takes place.

*updated
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Been a while since working on this but haven't given up yet:)

* Images updated

Diffuse in progress, trying to take it one thing at a time instead of rushing.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool GCMP,its completely desaturated though at the moment.So you gonna get a TF2 style on this one? You remember the TF2 truck which you also see in the 2Fort map?. I guess that will be cool. A lot of good flat colors with subtle rust painted and a cool phong shading to crank it all.

Vj
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks man :) Not too far off completion now and it will be rusty!
    Just made a decal for the doors of the truck...

Decal.png
    Oldtruckdecal.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Images are missing :(

Truck looks pretty cool. Is that some kind of weird artifact on the rear fender? It almost looks like it's clipping the viewport.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks dolemite, it was due to me not changing the smoothing groups there, all fixed now :)

*Updated
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are the pictures broken through the entire thread? It would be cool for those of us who just got here to be able to see the complete thread from start to finish. I see people commenting on things and I wonder what they're talking about.

Is the fender fixed? I think that smoothing error is still there.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    That's what happens when you use 3rd party image hosting ;)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there seems to be some faces missing on the back:
    reddysfriedchicken.jpg
    also on the bottom it seems to be a bit empty or to light - like if some construction stuff is missing that holds the weight at the rear.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ahh yeh the images were deleted:\ it's from an old account, decided to restart the building but haven't moved onto it yet.

The high poly vehicle all modelled in max;8qk82-nva5c-49axs-a4s01.jpg

renderhjs this was my reference mostly. It's just the design, weird I know, like the door handles too!
    Oldpickup2.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think its broken at the end,- it was afaik not a design decision
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    renderhjs - could be true :p

Working on some props to give a feel for what the env should look like.
    Frontview.jpg
    Rearview.jpg
    Topview.jpg
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    If you look closer at your reference, it's due to chipping and rust on the back fender. It's not part of the design of the truck, and you should probably adjust your model to represent that. Btw! Great job :) love the style of the old trucks.
    GCMP wrote: »
    Ahh yeh the images were deleted: it's from an old account, decided to restart the building but haven't moved onto it yet.

The high poly vehicle all modelled in max;

renderhjs this was my reference mostly. It's just the design, weird I know, like the door handles too!
    Oldpickup2.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ancient-Pig - Thankyou for your compliment :)
    A-Train - Might consider changing that although have grown to like the design now apart from a few things here and there with textures. Thanks too for your compliment :)

Air con unit reference;
    Commercialairconditioner.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    About 3/4 of the way there now on modelling this, thought I'd throw in some rendering cheap thrills :p

fanmotorforgenerator.jpg

ps: thought this was a powerful computer until max locked up when opening pshop to overlay the renders, bah!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    what renderhjs said, that was a broken car.
    nice model tho!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    goin all nuts at this are u, would be interesting to see how this turns out
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Some really nice modeling in this thread. I have to suggest you fix that truck fender, though. It looks really out of place. You could always match it to the reference and make it look damaged, similar to what you've done to the hood (which seems a bit excessively dented, I have to say).

Good work!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuffs looking good, but your reference is most likely the ac unit from a factory or huge warehouse type setting.

this is more along the lines you might see something outside a resturant like what youre doing

ac_units_fs.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    That will look so cool worn down
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    conte, 8FtSpider - agreed on the truck now I keep looking, it just looked like too clean of a cut in the ref to be dammage! Planning on changing a few things with it, one being the door handles, actually suprised no-one mentioned this but now I look more they look like door handles from an interior house door, not a car.
    Will change the rear fender too, it's not a smoothing issue though, it's floating geometry that I thought would look good if it was a lighter colour than the surrounding parts :/
    Other than that one or two texture changes then it should be good to go into the scene.

c0ldhands - thanks man, will keep you posted :icon60:

oobersli - absolutely correct it's an industrial a/c unit :) Thing is I was trawling the net trying to find some nice big reference pics of old a/c units for restaurants/small businesses and they all looked like those you posted. Just felt that it was a bit boring and wanted a bit more spice if you know what I mean. Thanks for the heads up and considering that I will make the textures huge for this and try not to exclude any modelling details so if this does end up looking out of place in the final scene it shall be worthy of a standalone status.

butt_sahib - only time will tell :icon60:

wireframe.jpg
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many tris is it sitting at right now? Looks cool.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think you are improving a lot lately,- keep it up
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    mLichy - it's 5,892,264 tris
    renderhjs -thanks!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Coolio.

Needs cross brace peices though.
    THe corrugated iron doesnt need to be shelled, just have a duplicate with flipped normals. (i think.) There are alot of thin tris there that dont add to shillouette.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks Muzz, I reduced it to 3,444 tris, still using a 2048 texture but want to keep everything big till the end and then think about full optimisation. About the side braces - seems like a good idea and will use that in another way, cloning one or two of the existing wooden beams and propping them up against the structure should help make it look a bit more interesting.

Done with this for now, here's some max renders...
    hfks.jpg

iShelter2.jpg

Shelter1.jpg

ffShelter2.jpg

Ps: the wood high poly normals looked crappy rendered like this so they have been removed apart from the wood grain, I actually think it looks better without it, what do you guys think?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Building reference;

SwearingenTexasfarmhouse.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Changed the design a little bit with the front porch roof slope.
    Now building high poly structure, pretty boxy atm but things will get hectic soon...

gfgfhh.jpg
    Freddys1.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Now it's destruction time, well after some sleep maybe!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Update!
    Remodelled the roofs and started on the dammage.
    shackdammagefront.jpg

shackdammageback.jpg
    Still lots to do, any suggestions?
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah more damage and a more variety, we need dents, missing roof tiles,
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    need some random rotation scripts? - either I post some or search for some on scriptspot;
    http://scriptspot.com/search/node/random
    like:
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mass-randomizer
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/randomize
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/px-locorandomizer
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/randomizer-0

it really makes the difference using such scripts because it will look much more natural. Especially the roof tiles need some slight random rotation.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    CastratedWeasel - thanks man, you know I totally missed the corrugated rear porch area and thought the dammage was sufficent but as soon as I looked again after seeing your comment it was obviously not nearly enough dammage :) Finished that now but haven't started on the roof tiles yet, been gathering some more reference on dammaged roofs.

ZacD - aye this will be a low down dirty establishment for your fried fast food!

renderhjs- thanks for the links they look very useful but I can't seem to get the scripts to work, wondering if it's anything to do with me running x64 max? The scripts won't run for some reason, tried everything I know which to be honest isn't alot, scripting isn't my area at all :\ halp!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    hmm, depends on which one you pick. In most cases you will get some *.ms file (maxscript) which contains the script.
    So if you take the first script, it links to:
    http://scriptspot.com/files/Tik_Mass_Randomizer_v1.913.mcr
    which is a macroscript (mcr = macroscript), a macroscript is container that holds the maxscript so that you can bind it to a shortcut or some icon in your interface.

So to get for example that script running:
    1.) download it
    2.) go to max
    3.) hit F11 to open the maxscript listener
    4.) pick file > run script
    5.) pick that downloaded mcr file
    ...it should now evaluate the script but you might not see anything...
    6.) now go to customize > customize user interface
    7.) click on the toolbar tab (we will create a button in the interface)
    8.) from the "category" list pick "Tik Works" because thats written within the mcr file
    9.) in the action list you should now see "Mass Randomizer", drag that item into your main toolbar of 3dsmax (yes drag and drop!).
    You should see a new button in the main toolbar at the spot where you released your mouse from the drag/ drop action.
    Close the customize window and on the toolbar on the new button right click on it to customize it (icon, text, label,...).

Each time you now hit that button the floater for this script (a window panel) will appear, you can work with that now.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    got it working!! That's awesome info man, should be able to use some more scripts now to speed up the workflow:thumbup: thankyou!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Been getting on with some of the dammage today amongst other stuff, hope you guys like it!

Front
    PORCHROOFDAMMAGE.jpg
    Back
    BASHEDUPBACK.jpg
    App
    PORCHDAMMAGE.jpg

renderhjs - found out that I can't use the randomizer script with the way I built the roofing - the divisions are just negative extrusions across a horizontal chamfered box to make it look like seperate tiles. Still though I WILL put this to good use very soon, cheers :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Some high poly parts of the generator reworked and one new one...

Generatorpowerlead.jpg
    Voltmeter.png
    Socketoutlet.png

Just the new cable & plug as up there and some small electrical wires left to bake then it's onto texturing :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what type of plug are you trying to go for? euro style??

hungary-socketfit.jpg