Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Wiktor

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!
I recently created my online portfolio, and I'm currently looking for jobs or an internship, but I thought I might show it to you guys for input on things I could change, seeing as I always get really good feedback here.

http://www.disting.eu - THIS IS OLD, no longer works
http://artbywiktor.com NEW, EDITED (2013-09-01).

Is there something in the design I should change? Should I change the thumbs? Are there any models I shouldn't show on my portfolio that you think lower the overall quality?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Wiktor

EDIT: Oops.. I forgot to add "Environment Artist" at the end of the title.. sorry. Asked a moderator to change it.

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I am liking your hard surface stuff but the head and other organics on your character are really letting the piece down and seeing as it has such an obvious spot on your folio it brings the whole thing down a little. I would rework the organics before putting it up on your folio.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar wrote: »
    I am liking your hard surface stuff but the head and other organics on your character are really letting the piece down and seeing as it has such an obvious spot on your folio it brings the whole thing down a little. I would rework the organics before putting it up on your folio.

Yeah, I've heard that a few times before, and I'm definately gonna follow that advice! However, right now I'm quite busy looking for an internship and finishing up the last course at uni. But after that I'll definately fix it. Either fix the organic parts, or leave them out and just show the armor.

Thank you!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its slightly confusing when you see Environment artist in your thread title but only 1 building in your whole portfolio.

Your hard surface modelling is excellent and i think this is the niche you should push. If you do truly want to be an environment artist then you need more environments in your portfolio.

One comment on your texturing, its really good, but in quite a few places (notably on the building) i can see a fair bit of repetition where you have duplicated the same piece of texture to another piece of the texture map. This is wasted space and just comes across as a bit lazy when clearly your skills are better than that. Try to avoid copying the same bit of texture to a unique piece of UV space unless you are going to change it.

Other than that a good portfolio with a consistent standard of work.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    cool portfolio, but on a side note, youv linked the fullscale images as "thumbnails" and this is causing a slight slowdown when going through your website. you should do some dedicated thumbnails that load faster.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea, and not everything in the world is orange! clearly your favourite colour :P
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points! Both of you!
    Frubes: Some of the pieces are rather old, and I didn't know the same tricks as I do now. I'll definately try and optimize my UV space more though! Thank you!

However, I'm not sure what you mean with the Environment Artist part. Don't environment artists do more than environments? I mean, weapons, cars, trashbins, pizza boxes, airplanes etc?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

JohnnyRaptor: That's a very good idea. I'll definately look into it! Extra speed and saving bandwidth is always a huge plus! Thanks a bunch!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    They sure do, unless you work at EA and specialize in brick modelling.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They sure do, unless you work at EA and specialize in brick modelling.

Hahaha, Senior Brick Modeler.. Imagine having that as a job!
    No offence if anyone out there has that job though! ^^
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah absoloutely Disting, they do, but you set yourself up as an environment artist with your thread title and i was left wondering where the environments where. Im not saying i was dissapointed with the work you presented because it was good but i was expecting more environment stuff, at least a full environment with all the assetts in you mentioned and more.

To me your portfolio demonstrated a clear understanding for hard surface modelling and a good level of texturing. However i cant judge from one building how you would be as an environment artist as that is so much more. Its how everything works together. I know the splash damage test gets thrown around a lot but even a small environment like that would let me know how you think when you are creating an environment, thats what i was hoping for. For me, if you want to be an environment artist, you need to demonstrate a good understanding of colour theory (which i think you do with what you presented), but more importantly an understanding of what makes a good environment, not just singular props which may go in it.

If you are looking for an internship i dont think you need to tie yourself down to specific role but show an understanding of as many areas as you can (but keep the same qaulity). However, if you are looking for a job you might need to hone your skills to fit a specific area as your work shown defines your capabilites. Currently i would employ you as a hard surface modeller or a props/vehicles/weapons artist.
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey now, we have maybe 2-3 guys on brick modelling..tops
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bricks are the building blocks of an environment.... its an important position!...

ill get my coat :(
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your comment frubes! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a thurough comment like that!
    Maybe I should say that I'm a prop/hard surface artist instead?
    I'm pretty sure I'll be creating some environments in the future though. I've only been doing 3d for 17 months, so these months I've mainly been doing smaller stuff just to practise on different aspects of game art.

Again, thank you!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, obviously my opinion isn't gospel and im sure others have comments on it but i dont want to derail your thread going into what makes an environment artist. What i would say though is dont tie yourself down to a specific area yet.

For the moment i would just call yourself a modelling/Texture artist and allow employers to work out if your work is what they are looking for. Yes its general but i think it sums up your skills best and they wont open your portfolio and have a preconception of what they should be looking at.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Leave your name at the top, pull the word "portfolio" it's kind of redundant. Put your email address (as a link) under your name, so it's easy to find for someone wanting to contact you.
    I think the layout and everything works fine.

I think your work is great. You've got the sci-fi hard surface stuff down pat. But you need to broaden your horizons a bit. If you want to be doing environments for games you need to show you can handle a variety of styles, time periods, resolutions, etc.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Leave your name at the top, pull the word "portfolio" it's kind of redundant. Put your email address (as a link) under your name, so it's easy to find for someone wanting to contact you.
    I think the layout and everything works fine.

I think your work is great. You've got the sci-fi hard surface stuff down pat. But you need to broaden your horizons a bit. If you want to be doing environments for games you need to show you can handle a variety of styles, time periods, resolutions, etc.

Alright, I'll change the text in the header! Been thinking of adding my email and perhaps phone number, just like you said.

Oh yeah, you're definately right about that I need to show that I can handle more styles. I've really snowed in on the sci-fi side.
    I have created quite a few fantasy objects too when I worked on a game project. Can't say anything about it though, since it's not announced yet. =/
    But yes, I'll start working on some models in other styles.

Thanks for the comment! :)
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    I agree with most of whats already been said.

Broaden your horizons, Get rid of repeating themes and colours, work a bit more on the textures(everything isn't worn out from 100years of using ;) ) and maybe show of some more regular fast made props that is used alot in games. Maybe you have a favorite company you're aplying to? Make something that they "could have used" in any of their games.

But on top of this, im mostly annoyed and a bit confused when i enter your page.
    I don't know if this is a blog, is it a portfolio or is it a tutorial site, it's very confusing and messy if you ask me. Especially if you enter the site from somewhere else and might end up in your blog. If you want to show of your work, get rid of everything else around it. And keep it simple.

In your resume, 2 projects you've been working on, but no links or images to them?
    And also no mailto's if the companies wants to click on your email and send you something right away.

And i don't know about having a tutorial page there too unless you're really gonna put in some work there. It seems a bit lame as it is right now.

Or maybe I am the one that is lame, but this is my opinion at least.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I feel the same as Lilja here, and I really feel that much of stuff have been said here. Anyhow, the portfolio looks great just wanted to point out that I'm not sure if you should keep the pistol together with the rest of the stuff that is newer, I think it brings down some of the quality you aim for to have in your portofolio. Good luck with your internship applications!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Love your stuff dude! looking awesome :)
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff man.

for your title as "Environment Artist", its true u don't really have a true environment artist portfolio going here. Since your just graduating you should probably just say your a "Digital Artist" instead. It doesn't limit yourself and if u haven't had a real job in the industry yet then u really haven't got a real title yet, and you really seem to be able to do more than just environments.

thats just some advice i got

good luck
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera wrote: »

And i don't know about having a tutorial page there too unless you're really gonna put in some work there. It seems a bit lame as it is right now.

Or maybe I am the one that is lame, but this is my opinion at least.

The tutorial section is being worked on. Trying to add 1 tutorial per week at least.
    You know I don't think you're lame, buttercup!

About the links to the projects.. 1 of them only has a development forum, and I don't think they'd be too happy if I let non-dev people in there. ^^
    The other one I might add a link too. :)
    I also remembered just now that I've been part of another project this year. The josef fares one!

Again, yes, I will do other kinds of styles. ^^
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    You note the mexican house uses a 512x512 maps, yet your screenshot indicates 1024....

Might wanna correct that.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Wait...so...why is their a character in your portfolio again if your an environment artist?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    Wait...so...why is their a character in your portfolio again if your an environment artist?

Because we had a course at uni where we were told to create a character, and I was happy with the result so I added it to the portfolio. :)
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    I'll second for taking down the character stuff. You've got some great hardsurface/props. The character stuff really takes away from a very impressive student portfolio.

Unless of course, you want to do characters for a living, which in my opinion you won't get hired for. If you really want to do env stuff and incorporate your love of characters why not try doing some statues? Until that I'd take the mech guy out.
  • acidrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. You should run your tutorials through a spell checker though. ;)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    maybe he can just remove the head, the armor is pretty sweet... just remove anything with skin and I'd think he could leave it in as a piece.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'll make a new render without the organic parts. I'm really happy with the outcome of the armour, so it seems a bit unnecessary to remove the whole thing just because of that. :)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    frubes wrote: »
    oh yea, and not everything in the world is orange! clearly your favourite colour :P

You obviously dont understand the awesomeness of orange :)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Very good work. I agree with most of what has been said here. I'm going to repeat just one thing because it's the one that really stands out to me too. Look for more variety in your work, Just at a glance, your models look very similar in shapes, style, colors, and texture treatment. As said before, try to cover different styles and different treatments.
    Either way I really like your work. Good luck.

Cheers!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Bump!

Just because this guys work is top shelf!
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, if you end up having trouble getting a job with that caliber of work, then I pretty much just give up lol
  • ron3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work! :thumbup:
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, what a necro! Thanks Helder! :D