Home Technical Talk

3ds max: skin weights transfer

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
robomaniac polycounter lvl 15
hi ppl here is problem:

i have a already done and skined model of the character.
and i have done another model, similar to first.
instead of start skin new model, I think its better to transfer skin weights from already skined one.
it is possible to do in 3DS Max, if yes, how can i do this?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where Maya excels and 3dsMax sucks big fat dick. The models have to match perfectly in order to save and apply the skin directly. Now that doesn't mean it isn't possible. You can skin wrap the second mesh to the first and apply the skin wrap as skin. There might be some clean up like with Maya but it works pretty well.

Also if you did a lot of your skinning with envelopes you can save out the envelopes (highly recommended) and apply them also.
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no envelopes :(((... just pure vertex binding...
    will try to do skin wrap as you mentioned..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Skin Wrap is perfect for this, tweak the settings in it while testing deformation and then do Convert To Skin. Pure vertex binding works perfectly, I've been doing this a lot recently and have had no problems.

Maya and Max both seem fairly competent at this solution, they both have "wrap" solutions, and both have copy/paste skin weights although admittedly Maya's seems to have more options. Still, both apps get the job done just fine, minimum hassle.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    in xsi you would do a GATOR, almost "perfect", in max, you just do a skin wrap and it'll be almost perfect too, both cases, little bit of cleaning up and voila! :D
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just copy/pasted skin modificator - works perfect, but only works on 1 model :E

now trying skin wrap....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Copy and pasting Skin modifier will only work if the models have the same topology.
    Skin Wrap works with everything.
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems i something doing wrong... but skin wrap cant help me here :(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You must be doing something wrong... Skin Wrap was designed for transferring skin weights from one model to another!

You should be doing this:
    1. Make sure your scene contains the NEW model (not skinned at all) and the OLD model (with Skin modifier)
    2. Select the NEW model, apply the Skin Wrap modifier.
    3. Click "Add" in the Skin Wrap modifier parameters, then select your OLD mesh in the scene. Skin Wrap will now process the skin weights.
    4. Try moving any of the joints or controllers in your rig and skeleton - BOTH meshes should deform appropriately.
    5. You can then use the settings like Falloff and Distance Infl. to really tweak how accurate the skin transfer is. Enable "Weight All Points" if needed.
    6. Then once you're happy with it, click the Convert To Skin button and a new Skin modifier will be on top of your stack. You can now delete or collapse the Skin Wrap modifier, it's not needed anymore.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks alot for the information mop, greatly appreciated :) just started rigging so this ought to help me later :)
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, your help is priceless

i was done as you sad, but there small bug
    when i am applying skin wrap to NEW mesh, my new mesh slightly moving forward and skin applying with artefacts... new and old meshes are similar in hands,boots legs and hands only head and chest was mosified.... i was thinking about reseting pivot, but its ok, was done xform
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    created through keyboard entry new cube, converted it to editable mesh, than attached my new mesh to it, than done as sad in post #9
    and all things now OK..

THANKS a lot

i LOVE POLYCOUNT!!!!!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Copy and pasting Skin modifier will only work if the models have the same topology.
    Skin Wrap works with everything.

Actually, Skin in the newer Max versions (maybe v8 and up?) will get the new influence from a weighted mesh if the envelopes are inactive (the verts have been hand-weighted). Copy and pasting Skin doesn't match up vert counts, unless, I think, the vert couts are identical. So they introduced some intelligence to it.

But regardless, Skin Wrap gives you more control and that is what you should be using.
  • Laurelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laurelion polycounter lvl 10
    I'm registred just for thank's MoP :D

Thanks a lot :D