Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Syzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate, but i cant do this in Maya, with bend deformer.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    Shinigami,

That's essentially what I've done for the side-pieces, however the result is far from favourable in comparison with the reference. :|

Not quite sure how to resolve it, I'm beating a dead horse at the moment as I'm spending far too long tweaking topology that is arguably un-savable?

Wireframe
    iDFw5.png

No Wireframe
    iDFD0.png

The front bit is passable - the sides bits are far from it! :(

I'm trying to get it to look as nice overall as it does in the above screenshots (mainly the Disney/Animated one.)

Anyone have any suggestions on tackling this? D-:

I've made an FBX available too

Essentially I'm trying to get the same, nice, crisp result on the side sphere extrusions as the front one - whilst maintaining a nice overall curvature.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Syzero wrote: »
    Thanks mate, but i cant do this in Maya, with bend deformer.

tD7EjY5.jpg

Try changing its rotation values on the Channel Box, or manually with the Rotate Tool, to see which is the correct axis.

Anyone have any suggestions on tackling this? D-:

I've made an FBX available too

Essentially I'm trying to get the same, nice, crisp result on the side sphere extrusions as the front one - whilst maintaining a nice overall curvature.

If you don't look at your model from different angles you'll never find the problem.

4QVsKpW.jpg

Quick solution:

ZL5QwA1.jpg

Select those vertices, and slightly drag them out. You can make other minor correction on the front part.

There is an hard edge that needs to be fixed on the middle of the shape too.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Hey guys, back from Holiday now so more 3D. :)

Working on Yoda's high council chair. Had a flick through the past few pages because what you guys have been discussing is pretty relevant to the topology here.

As you can see in the wireframe shot, I've started with a 16 sided cylinder to make the base shape, then I've used another 16 sided quadcylinder to cut in the first spherical bit at the front; outlining it similarly to has been done on the piping examples above. :)

Overall I'm just looking for ConCrit on whether I've done this properly - do you guys have any feedback on improving the topology that you'd be happy to share?

Still have the two side-cylinders to cut in too!

Wireframe
    iCg0U.png

No Wireframe
    iCg1Q.png

References
    iCgaM.png

iCgce.png

iCgeJ.png

As you can see from the references, my version is a sort of middle-ground; taking heavy influence from the three similar designs in the Action Figure, the Live action films, and the Disney Clone Wars cartoon.

I've uploaded the FBX of the meshes HERE.

Thank you very much for your time, as always, guys. :P

In the movie version the whole "main" chair is one piece. But in the 3D version it looks like it's acctually a indent, and from the indent there's some kind of extrusion. Which one are you trying to do?
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the replies - continuing to crack on with fixing it.

SonicBlue, thanks - I'll keep tweaking the vertices abiding to your feedback. :)

wirrexx, I'm not strictly abiding by either design; more just creating something that nicely represents the design itself. At the moment, I'm cutting in the extrusions based on the movie design (where it looks like they're welded on). :)
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Can anyone help me ?! I've been trying to figure out how to put a hole in a curved geo, just find it really hard to do when applying turbosmooth or subdiv it. T_T

vkQA96A.png
    y7A5SoH.png
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting holes in curved geo is 80% of this thread.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, im like reading page by page. Im up at pg.54 and man oh man. Some of the images are like dead.

BuBfiYi.jpg

EDIT : Added an image, made it rectangular for the supports, even tho its way better, its not perfectly smooth, its cause some weird pinching at the rim and bulge on the side supports edges. T_T
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    As per the thread title... Use some simple math to work out how many edges you'll need on the circle. You can do it with less geo, but generally the more you have the better a shape supports irregular deformities.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7741113/Hole_In_Cylinder.obj
  • Colddeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Note: This is a rare occasion where this thread recommends less geo
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be clear, this thread is named incorrectly. It's really "the appropriate amount of geo for the task at hand". Could be more, could be less ... it's all context. But you SHOULD err on the side of less. It's easier in the long run.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    Hello!

I don't post here often or at all but i would like to know when inserting edge loops in maya is there a way to mirror it so that its inserted equally on both sides?

It pains me that my models have edge loops that aren't precise because I'm essentially guessing what the distance is for the other side.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    To be clear, this thread is named incorrectly. It's really "the appropriate amount of geo for the task at hand". Could be more, could be less ... it's all context. But you SHOULD err on the side of less. It's easier in the long run.

Updated the thread title :poly124:
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, well played.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh nice, thats actually a better title than the last.
  • br0br0br0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Having a hard time figuring this one out.

sHhgNgK.jpg

Any advice for carving a circle into a sphere?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    WarrenM wrote: »

A 3D wizard never uses too much geo, or too little geo. He uses precisely as much as he means to :P
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    br0br0br0 wrote: »

sHhgNgK.jpg

There's a thread somewhere full of that kind of advice. I'll have to dig up the URL tho ...
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    br0br0br0 wrote: »

sHhgNgK.jpg

My 5 cents, fast and dirty could be done with lower poly . But i'm lazy. tLiQLnm.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I've got this looking good now, just thought I'd post an update on it.

iG4gW.png

Cheers for the help on these sort of shapes folks. :) Will take it into ZBrush later and add some creasing, etc. to the leather parts
  • sykoCrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sykoCrazy polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my progress on that FLIR pod! Having a lot of fun making this thing..

PYyxB18.jpg

IUM2tgK.gif
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Shinigami, less talking and more modelling - I've seen your other thread boy! :poly142:
  • br0br0br0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    My 5 cents, fast and dirty could be done with lower poly . But i'm lazy. tLiQLnm.jpg

Thank you! That helped loads!
  • Huw_Dawson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks,

I'm doing a refresher course in 3d modelling.

I'm building a desk with handles kinda like this:

antique-pine-desk.jpg

The desk's easy, but I'm not sure if it's better to have the handles on separate elements to the drawers or if I should try and have one mesh for the entire (static) model.

I'd prefer separate elements because it's much easier to model, but I'm not sure if that's setting me up for pitfalls or not. :\
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model it how it is in real life. If it's a separate piece, make it a separate mesh. No harm in that.

The low poly is a different story sometimes, but my high poly meshes are often in many pieces.
  • le_kruemel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear folks,

I was thinking about modelling a simple canister. The basic form is quite simple using subdivision modeling. But how to implement these cavities?
    More detail could be used on the base model, but this will degrade the managebility of the main simple form, espacially if the cavities are just on one side, loops will also run around the other one (and they are not needed there).

1. Is it just clever thinking on howto subdivide the main model further, or are there better techniques for implementing details on basically plane surfaces (I guess, floating geometry won't help here if I'm interested in a highpoly model).

2. Furthermore, are there some tricks to get the look of welding seams for metal parts?

e4a7ifu.jpg?1

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

kruemel
  • Joviah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le_kruemel wrote: »
    Dear folks,

I was thinking about modelling a simple canister. The basic form is quite simple using subdivision modeling. But how to implement these cavities?
    More detail could be used on the base model, but this will degrade the managebility of the main simple form, espacially if the cavities are just on one side, loops will also run around the other one (and they are not needed there).

1. Is it just clever thinking on howto subdivide the main model further, or are there better techniques for implementing details on basically plane surfaces (I guess, floating geometry won't help here if I'm interested in a highpoly model).

2. Furthermore, are there some tricks to get the look of welding seams for metal parts?

e4a7ifu.jpg?1

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

kruemel

So... this is my first post but I had the same question a while back. I'm a Modo user, but the principles still apply to other software.

Here's a YouTube video by Peter Stammbach that models something extremely similar. His other videos are also worth checking out.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eV8_d1mW7I[/ame]
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Shingami: Why do all the splines need welding? Are you using that as the low poly model for in game use?
    If so will just tapering the ends and intersecting the pieces not work?

le_kruemel: The can is in two halves naturally anyway. don't take the loops further than needed.
    Also, the above tutorial should help. Yes the nature of the indentation is different, but you can do a similar self contained loop termination where the indent meets the main canister shape.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Shinigami wrote: »
    whats a voxel software? :P
    3dcoat for instance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    I am having some trouble with this specific part on the MP5.

It has a lot of indented parts that are confusing me on the best way to form a polyframe an example on how would be much desirable.

My current way of thinking is create a lot of unnecessary lines instead of combining lines but if i combine those lines the smooth preview produces alot of funky results.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    1813 wrote: »
    I am having some trouble with this specific part on the MP5.

It has a lot of indented parts that are confusing me on the best way to form a polyframe an example on how would be much desirable.

My current way of thinking is create a lot of unnecessary lines instead of combining lines but if i combine those lines the smooth preview produces alot of funky results.

pleasen, show us what you've got, you can't think that we know what part you're talking about and how to solve it for you, if you don't show us what you've done =)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    Forgive me. This is my progress it's stylized and its a little warped and cartoonist.

Similar. There are a lot of different selectors.
    EMId8OH.jpg

What i have.
    3mCuk6P.jpg

3 is for Smooth Preview (Maya) & W is for Wireframe.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0f6A4v.jpg

This is considering your mesh, but you'll need more supporting edges, depends on how the shape reacts to the subdivision surface.

NgEAIEA.gif

If you look at the reference picture, you'll notice that there are some details you're missing, the two steps (difference in height) to block the fire selector from going where is not supposed to be.

rL59omG.jpg

This bottom picture is an airsoft version, don't rely too much on the replicas for edge definition.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 vertex
    Oh, Thanks for pointing that out!
    6eZtgNz.jpg

I fixed some of it but I'll try and reiterate my point from before, I'm not sure if i should insert more edge loops like this just to create a quad shape or use the current amount of vertexs and connect between those points but the problem with that then is you get odd shapes forming when smooth which primarily happen to quad tri's

CKodxUh.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    the new title is LAME SUX

I LEARNED IT FROM YOU DAD
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1813 wrote: »
    Oh, Thanks for pointing that out!
    6eZtgNz.jpg

I fixed some of it but I'll try and reiterate my point from before, I'm not sure if i should insert more edge loops like this just to create a quad shape or use the current amount of vertexs and connect between those points but the problem with that then is you get odd shapes forming when smooth which primarily happen to quad tri's

CKodxUh.jpg

You don't really need all that geometry to reproduce that shape, use SubD at your advantages, and let it do the work.

I see no problems on dealing with all that geometry by collapsing them into triangles or leaving them as n-gons, the surface is flat. Although I would add more geometry to support it before leaving them as free n-gons. You have to see how the mesh reacts to it, if it doesn't look weird on the viewport, that's good.
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys would about modelling this sort of shape in 3DsMax?

[IMG][/img]mVUYMs2.jpg?1
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This might not be the best way ever for sure, but i started with a geosphere, deleted some faces and use the sperify modifier, then collapsed and manually bridged the faces. The results are not very clean but with some more play around you coud get a decent enough version. This took like 5 minutes, so if you spend more time the result should be cleaner.
    Waiting for the pros to bring up better ways :D
    fdb6b74a0d.jpg
    0310e704c8.jpg
    3Ds max file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6c3u6g8_uMQ1lLQmxGQ3B0WEk
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Garasin wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering how you guys would about modelling this sort of shape in 3DsMax?

[IMG][/img]mVUYMs2.jpg?1

lITNOZj.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    No pro here, but this is my 5 cents.

Also started with Geosphere.
    used a cylinder to match the topology right (Right amount of Geo)

And Boolean.

little clean up and TS.
    r3MXbSl.jpg
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx, Amsterdam Hilton Hotel, maxivz

Thanks guys this is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!!
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Sideview, cut faces tool and remove the faces where the flat area will be, select faces and extrude with an offset to get a control edge on the outside, then extrude to center to the inner control edge. Surely there's a similar way in Max.

qUd839O.png

Edit: For a more Zbrush friendly experience, in quads. Mostly.

UxtAb6k.png
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    just tried in Max and can't get the same "quad" result
    I used the QSlice tool to cut the flat part,

the top parts doesn't look great, but it works tho

PepGzll.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    They're starting with a geosphere (think a cube subdivided then smoothed to be more spherical) ; you're starting with a regular sphere that's capped with a pole. Hence the difference in geo.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Bek wrote: »
    They're starting with a geosphere (think a cube subdivided then smoothed to be more spherical) ; you're starting with a regular sphere that's capped with a pole. Hence the difference in geo.

a geosphere is something very different in max :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spaggiari wrote: »
    just tried in Max and can't get the same "quad" result
    I used the QSlice tool to cut the flat part,

the top parts doesn't look great, but it works tho

PepGzll.png
    Out of the box, 3dsmax doesn't make a "Quadsphere". But there are a few scripts that enable you to make them.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/quadsphere
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/quad-primitives
    http://www.polytools3d.com/tools/quadsphere/

At the end of the day you really don't need a script, just start with a box, turbosmooth it, add a sphereify modifier to round it out and you're ready to go.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    a geosphere is something very different in max :P
    Right. That terminology is probably universal and I'm just unaware. Quadsphere then.

Oh and for anyone using modo, you can do the same as Mark Dygert suggests but use background constraint in place of the sphereify modifier (there are sphereify scripts but I can't recall having much luck with them), simply scale your 'quadsphere' up inside a regular, sub'd sphere with its faces flipped.
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

apologies for posting two separate shapes, two days in a row but I'm really struggling with one :P

I need to turbo smooth this to get a high poly but I can't figure out how to place my supporting edge loops around the triangular holes and keep the curved surface nice and even.

rb6zr7N.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    can you upload the obj so i can give it a try tonight? i would manually place them with the cut tool or just try to quad chamfer them, it might work
  • Garasin