Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• SoDamnTrue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycounters,

It is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone of you could help me out. I am modeling a boot. Shape looks almost fine except there is one redundant triangle.

179hogu.png

It stays slightly revealed when I add turbosmooth modifier.

amzmJGC.png

Worst-case scenario would be as it is. Any advice is welcome.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not really sure ther's a better method for this number of sides. I tried some other methods but ther's always some minimal pinching or distortion.
    Perna's method really looks ok. If it's just a small detail you will barely notice it on the normal map if at all. And if your cylinder object is really huge then use more sides.
  • brazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best thread ever. I saved a few of the images and started to do them as an exercice to get the rust out.

thanks to everyone.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Lets say i use a 84 sided cylinder ( i use 24 or 32 by default) and carve all details on it... how am i going to reduce the polycount? Delete every 2nd edge? ← but then im going to destroy details, am i right?

Why do you need to reduce the polycount of your highpoly mesh? Its a highpoly...

You're totally over-thinking all of this.

If its small/unimportant, barely visible artifacts from a lower number of sides will never be visible, especially when the asset is textured, the texture is compressed, and the player in game is flying past it at 10mph.

If its very important, use more sides, just as Steppenwolf mentions above.

Seriously, you've been given the same advice here now like a dozen times to solve the same basic problems, you've been given countless solutions. Stop posting and actually go do some work instead, you'll find it much more productive.

A lot of people have put in a lot of time and effort to help you, please show them the basic respect they deserve by putting in some of your own time and effort to research your issues and try to solve them before asking the same questions over and over.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Lets say i use a 84 sided cylinder ( i use 24 or 32 by default) and carve all details on it... how am i going to reduce the polycount? Delete every 2nd edge? ← but then im going to destroy details, am i right?

You don't have to make your low poly from the hipoly. It's just one option to do it. You can also construct a completely new low poly on top of your hipoly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoDamnTrue wrote: »
    Hey polycounters,

It is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone of you could help me out. I am modeling a boot. Shape looks almost fine except there is one redundant triangle.

It stays slightly revealed when I add turbosmooth modifier.

Worst-case scenario would be as it is. Any advice is welcome.

You can turn that tri into a quad like this:
    quad.jpg
    green: add
    red: remove

You'll still get a pole there though which may not smooth very well, unavoidable really.

Another even easier option, this time just removing:
    quad2.jpg
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Shimigami you really seem to be struggling with Subd, that's ok there are a lot of quirks and edge cases to modeling high detail hardsurface models with subd. A lot of things you have run into would be very simple if modeled with NURBS. Well maybe, I'm not sure what 3dsmax's NURBS are like.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami, you wouldn't see any pinching on your example either if it wasn't shot from a close distance and in the perfect angle to show the pinch. Would probably help you to check out some hipolies from experienced artist in max. Maybe someone here knows some links.
    I got to check out some weapon models from more senior artists and realized that i was way overthinking a bunch of stuff. Your models don't have to be perfect, they just have to do their job. Also observe assets from games closely. Some come with editors that let you check the models and textures. You see small imperfections or some shortcuts or "artistic liberties" everywhere there.
    Stuff like this minor pinching is barely visible in the normal if at all and certainly not visible anymore when the model is textured.

Same for your question about the cylinder low poly. You're probably overthinking it. Just make a low poly that matches the hipoly close enough and let the normal map do its job where it's not 100%. That's what the cage is for when you bake your maps.
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Digital polycounter lvl 8
    Hello guys, i need some help with this part, is very simple but i cant get the good result for turbosmooth, i hope someone could help me.

I0ihcta.png

And this is how it looks.

kk9JXOh.png
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    @digital the middle left vert should be pulled to the left so that the faces are flat.
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @digital the middle left vert should be pulled to the left so that the faces are flat.

Can you show me how i need to do that? because iam very lost.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    nztgovis.png
    se8paqli.png
    ffhddlxz.png
    Simple shape. Ignore the weird edge width.
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki wrote: »
    nztgovis.png
    se8paqli.png
    ffhddlxz.png
    Simple shape. Ignore the weird edge width.

Thank you wiki, this is very helpefull for the future.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    yes so, first time vehicle modeller here, and really stuck on this last piece stopping me going to high res mesh fun time!

the headlights of a pagani Zonda Cinque.

Pagani-Zonda-F-Headlights-640x426.jpeg
    2009-Pagani-Zonda-Cinque-Headlights-1280x960.jpg
    i have absoloutely no idea what im doing with this shape, ive tried making 3 cylinders with the vague sort of extrusions, but no idea how to fit it together to actually make it work. i also have no idea how to get it to fit into the actual body of the car. So i made a hole!

3hKdz5r.png

any help available?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd just model it as a separate mesh on top of the body of the car, you can subdivide the body and then delete intersecting faces at the end.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    yep, because they're separate parts in real life, so just model the headlight separately, then make a hole in the body of the car, it doesn't need to fit the shape of the headlight, just to avoid intersection.

it's in my hard surface practice time anyways, so I made a major shape of the headlight, hope it give you some idea

Basically, 3 lights look pretty identical, so just make one shape and then copy, arrange and finally connect them together

kmERRkJ.jpg
    vFgLbuX.jpg
    JW15ScQ.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    thanks for the help in getting the shapes of the lights done, never used boolean before so thats a useful thing to know!

the problem im still having is in joining them together, the basic forms are fine, but joining them is still a pain.

eGca9hK.png

any advice on fitting them together?
  • Wintersun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wintersun polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm. I would delete the bottom faces of each headlight and bridge them together then use move and edgeloops to get what you need. actually the gap in between should flow the hood of the car so place em exaclty where they should be on body, then start moving the newly made vertexes to get what you need.
    I'll do that when I get home if no one else answered. but it's pretty straight forward.
  • Dmitriy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmitriy wrote: »
    Hello)
    How can I modeling it?
    U3jf7Vr.jpg
    I would do this by using the modifier Twist, but there is one "problem" ...
    Excuse me for my English, I know it is bad and I use Google-transliteration ..)
    Thx.

Who help me or not?:(
    -Dmitriy.
    Thx.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Dmitriy wrote: »
    Who help me or not?:(
    -Dmitriy.
    Thx.

QzuEX6x.png
    6JJQLOF.png

had a quick go at this this morning. weird shape to do, think i got there though.
    as the other side is not shown, i dont think it is entirely necessary to go all the way around with 1 loop.

i used 5, and used soft selection to get a gradual kinda curved look going down, as if it was 1 loop going around, when really its 5 loops that curve to make it look like 1 loop.

the indent around the other side was done like so:
    started with this:
    x0ZOgO2.png
    first, inset the cap segments to the desired depth of the indent:
    lcJjz4M.png
    then i selected the loop of polygons that the inset would be:
    JKlKCRA.png
    delete these.
    select the 2 faces from the cap, and bridge to 6 segments the edges of each segment were then selected and chamfered to line up with the indented loops on the larger face of the cylinder.
    rvj5Y2N.png
    you can then select the border going around what you have just made, deselect the 2 edges at the end, and hit bridge.
    FKEnTj4.png
    ^^ this is the result.

and then just add some support loops to end up with the result first shown!

hope this helps out.
  • Dmitriy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol
    How is it just ...
    Thank you.)
  • flowlife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flowlife null
    I kind of tried to help Dmitriy with his issue, but have encountered a small problem: how can i tighten up corners (marked areas on model)?
    KlvAyXf.jpg
    slLXEVO.jpg
    My obj file. http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/32341884/file.html
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    how do i model these holes shapes in the cylinder?

Mp5geoproblem_zps3382ca36.jpg
  • Mr Digital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G wrote: »
    how do i model these holes shapes in the cylinder?

Mp5geoproblem_zps3382ca36.jpg

With cut tool, use a circle as reference, but try to match the circle number of interactions, like the number of edges on your cylinder, try to make a 60 sides cylinder for that shape, dont move or deform the cylinder edges to match exactly the circle, because you may have shading issues, those holes, mostly in videogames are like floating geometry, so, dont screw your important shapes.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Any suggestions on how you all would attack this handle? its geo should be shaped like a coil/spring. I've tried to build it from a helix with splines and also tried starting with a basic cube but i cant seem to nail it.

65CfXoN.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    well you can do it, but why bother? it doesn't look spiraling in your photo either.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    woot wrote: »
    thanks for the help in getting the shapes of the lights done, never used boolean before so thats a useful thing to know!

the problem im still having is in joining them together, the basic forms are fine, but joining them is still a pain.

eGca9hK.png

any advice on fitting them together?

Nam got you pointed in a good direction, but I would have started the mesh a bit differently.

This piece is separate from the rest of the fender/front clip, but it's a very seamless and natural intersection between the two pieces.

Because of this I would personally start with a copy of my fender once it was finished, and go from there. That way when you get your final shape it will be very seamless and natural, like a puzzle piece, as it was derived from the curve you're trying to mimic.

Just as Nam suggested I would use booleans to acheive your primary shapes then basic poly modeling tools to clean up and refine topology.

Please excuse my complete shit topology here, it was just a quick example :)

GxbXayZ.png
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Wicked. Thanks for sharing Per :thumbup:
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    s6 wrote: »
    Nam got you pointed in a good direction, but I would have started the mesh a bit differently.

This piece is separate from the rest of the fender/front clip, but it's a very seamless and natural intersection between the two pieces.

Because of this I would personally start with a copy of my fender once it was finished, and go from there. That way when you get your final shape it will be very seamless and natural, like a puzzle piece, as it was derived from the curve you're trying to mimic.

Just as Nam suggested I would use booleans to acheive your primary shapes then basic poly modeling tools to clean up and refine topology.

Please excuse my complete shit topology here, it was just a quick example :)

GxbXayZ.png

still cant really work this one out, did you collapse a turbosmooth modifier then boolean in a tube, extrude to make the first semi cylindrical extrusions? then boolean the second cylinders to get the holes.
    i cant really work out how to get it looking right, might be the topo of the original piece i made though.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, in the first step of the image: the darker grey cylinders extruding out of the fender where additive booleans into a "duplicate" of the fender geo, then afterwards the lighter grey cylinders were subtracted.

Give it a go and then post your results if you need more help :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cross-posting from the giveaway thread, heres an old highpoly gun, some of the topology here really makes me cringe, but it might be helpful to some of you guys.

Highpoly cage mesh and Toolbag 2 render scene here

m7rifle01.jpg
    m7wires01.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Yes, in the first step of the image: the darker grey cylinders extruding out of the fender where additive booleans into a "duplicate" of the fender geo, then afterwards the lighter grey cylinders were subtracted.

Give it a go and then post your results if you need more help :)

SVep52h.png

disregard shit topology? :D

feel like i did something wrong here.
    did you use merge in proboolean, or did you attatch them and then weld a load of verts? i feel like the second method might work better.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    In the proboolean options under 'Advanced' select "remove only invisible". It should reduce the nonsense geo. Otherwise, yes, you're on the right track. Then you would subtract the other cylinders from that shape.

Just be mindful of the side count on your cylinders and how their edges intersect with the edges on the fender. You want them to match up as best as possible so when the boolean is done all edges are continuous and your topology isn't ruined. I would recommend double checking your proportions as well. It will be next to impossible to adjust the shape and size of the cuts after the booleans are committed.
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Nice model EQ!

Maybe a bit offtopic but what the subd engineers opinion about the 3ds max's new feature, the Open Subdiv implementation? Videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENA2FAF_PIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHSTQQwM3E
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    In the proboolean options under 'Advanced' select "remove only invisible". It should reduce the nonsense geo. Otherwise, yes, you're on the right track. Then you would subtract the other cylinders from that shape.

Just be mindful of the side count on your cylinders and how their edges intersect with the edges on the fender. You want them to match up as best as possible so when the boolean is done all edges are continuous and your topology isn't ruined. I would recommend double checking your proportions as well. It will be next to impossible to adjust the shape and size of the cuts after the booleans are committed.

been trying it out, getting all sorts of weird errors and hellish topo.

Z6OQ7i6.png
    no idea what is causing this, ill have to try work it out.
    5zcVwaM.png
    topo gets a little screwy as well.

i think ive got the sizes right, but not the positioning/ left light should be closer to the one on the right i think.

i think its also a little difficult to judge cos they are on a weird angle, as shown from above.
    [IMG][/img]2009-Pagani-Zonda-Cinque-Roadster-Top-1280x960.jpg
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    how do i make this stock or atleast the part that goes to the back of the mp5 im stuck on what to do
    ics-ma-87_1_mark.jpg
  • g-pe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I'm having trouble with my workflow on this shape. I have modeled many revisions and all were slow, cumbersome and have some nasty pinching.
    Trying to add control loops is a struggle especially along the intersecting cylinders.

Thanks for any input.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    BI0H0G: Could you circle the portion you're having trouble with? That's quite a large area to cover.

g-pe: I would relax the loops on either side of the error to soften its appearance, from there you can try pushing or pull that problem vert in or away from the cylinder until it appears nearly flush. It likely won't look flawless, but after a bake no one would know the difference.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    sorry about that here is the the shape i having problems whit

stockshape_zps7dd232ea.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G wrote: »
    sorry about that here is the the shape i having problems whit

stockshape_zps7dd232ea.png

Please post your progress so far so we can see what exactly you're having trouble with.
  • Long Nange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long Nange polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there. Does anyone know how to fix that?
    5c9Ad7cl.png

here's the wires
    bka84evl.png
  • Long Nange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long Nange polycounter lvl 7
    hi there. does anyone know how to fix that?
    5c9Ad7cl.png

wires:
    bka84evl.png
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    sorry for the delay here is the mesh

stockshapemeshhighpoly_zps920b0a2c.png

stockshapemesh_zps62c52856.png
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    sorry, is this the best way to make the shape?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you already made the shape.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    yea i just asking if this is a good way to do it and what can i improve on
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anything look wrong to you?

Things that jump out at me are: (i can't do a paintover right now)
    -On the bottom of the top cylinder, the roundness doesn't carry through to the wedged shape; it goes from being round to being flat.
    -The wedged shape comes too short horizontally, and appears to slope inward more towards the bottom (in the reference).
    -The vertical cut may be too sharp of an edge, soften that up a bit.
    -There is a bevel to the left of that cut not present in your model.

Overall I think your topology is fine except where the cylinders meet the wedge. It's just a matter of matching the roundness in the wedge to the cylinder's shape.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    BI0H0G

The shape look fine, but there some area that cause pinching, simply because you have some very dense support loops. just move them away from each other a little bit to relax the topology ( remove some if needed ) and it'll be fine

ZxHbs9S.jpg
  • TheEngineer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paintover_zps087005e3.jpg

you may be able to eliminate that loop all together and turn it up and over the cylinder to support that smaller wedge shape toward what would be the body of the gun and spread out those loops directly under the loop i painted over toward the back. Im still learning but that is what i would try to get rid of that pinching.
  • SoDamnTrue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I have a problem with one shape. Seems like my geometry is bit off course.

I am trying to do following shape:
    4Em77cO.png

This is what I have:
    4VrA7iI.jpg

I used Boolean to cut out 6-sided cylinders. Then modified bit and added supporting edge loops. The size of this model is 7160 tris when having Turbosmooth with 1 iteration.

What should be avg. tris count to achieve model shown on top picture? How can I achieve it?

Huge thank to one who could help me on this mission.