Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• bumshawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 wrote: »
    Hello! I am learning 3D stuff. my low poly and bake are pretty bad, lol, but I was wondering if their is a way to make tubes coming out of the top part.. I know it'd probably involve the CV or EP curve tool, but idk how to make it like match up with the little ports on the top there.

Any help would be appreciated :D

side note: the current tubes I made by just extruding the edge and soft select moving it about.. but that is pretty ugly :(

Easy way to get a perfect fit (Maya):

1 - Select the edge loop of your "port".
    2 - Go to Modify > Convert > Polygon Edges to Curve
    3 - Create your tube CV and snap to the middle of your "port" curve.
    4 - Select the "port" curve THEN the tube CV.
    5 - Go to Surfaces > Extrude.
    6 - Dance. (Very Important)

EXTRA: If you are unhappy with your CV path or just want to edit it, you can continue to edit the points, and Maya will automatically adjust the extruded polygon. :D

Hope this helps!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    bumshawn wrote: »
    Easy way to get a perfect fit (Maya):

1 - Select the edge loop of your "port".
    2 - Go to Modify > Convert > Polygon Edges to Curve
    3 - Create your tube CV and snap to the middle of your "port" curve.
    4 - Select the "port" curve THEN the tube CV.
    5 - Go to Surfaces > Extrude.
    6 - Dance. (Very Important)

EXTRA: If you are unhappy with your CV path or just want to edit it, you can continue to edit the points, and Maya will automatically adjust the extruded polygon. :D

Hope this helps!

You can also make paint FX to make them.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    @Brygelsmack:

Hey dude, I love the gun model you are working on and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some wireframes. I am trying very hard to achieve similar levels of details on my models but am coming across a lot of problems using sub-D. Is there a lot of floating point geometry in there or no? Also, I'm assuming there's a lot of modular components to that gun that are modelled separately and just snuggled into place?

Its just a very clean, high detailed and inspiring model over all but I will understand if you don't want to share the wireframes.

Thank you!
    Sorry, I missed your post. But man, being fairly new in 3D I have to say that means a lot! Thank you.

No problem, check my thread in my signature below. I posted a few wire renders there for you.
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there,

i would like to know how you guys approach the low poly modelling for objects like this.

how_to_lowPoly_this.JPG

My workflow is the following:
    I start with a appropiately rounded cylinder for the big one. Extrude the front bit and scale it down. Then i create a second cylinder for the end part. Merge those two cylinders together and weld the vertexies together.

The Question is.. is there any better / faster / easier workflow for this in max?
    Is it considered bad practice to have those triangles at that chamfer?
  • bumshawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OddEyes wrote: »
    hey there,

My workflow is the following:
    I start with a appropiately rounded cylinder for the big one. Extrude the front bit and scale it down. Then i create a second cylinder for the end part. Merge those two cylinders together and weld the vertexies together.

The Question is.. is there any better / faster / easier workflow for this in max?
    Is it considered bad practice to have those triangles at that chamfer?

Why not just start with an 8-sided cylinder, extrude the top, scale in, and then extrude again? And if you really want to get rounded edges on the low poly, you can try beveling those edges.

And I think triangles are no problem, especially if you're modeling for games. I believe in most engines, they triangulate your meshes anyways.
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumshawn wrote: »
    Why not just start with an 8-sided cylinder, extrude the top, scale in, and then extrude again? And if you really want to get rounded edges on the low poly, you can try beveling those edges.

And I think triangles are no problem, especially if you're modeling for games. I believe in most engines, they triangulate your meshes anyways.

yeah this could be a solution, but then i don't have much control about the tri count. if i chamfer the big cylinder, it'll have double of the edges than the small one, which might be more edges than needed.
    One could use for the big cylinder about 12 sides if i want to get it just right. And if you chamfer just a couple of edges, it would be a hard time to get an even distribution of the sides.
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    i would make a cylinder of apropriate sides, then inset one top to the radius of the smaller one, extrude it, then select every second face of the cylinder and collapse them. then just move it so i get a slope.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to model a car for the first time. I am doing it in panels, I assume this was the proper way. I ran into a huge block though. I am not good at keeping clean, and proper topology . I put myself in this corner where I cannot model the wheel arch little bit and merge it with the already existing geo . The door panel is a different mesh, but they both share the same curves so I need to make sure I follow that.

Here's a picture to better show it, I really want to finish this, and keep opening Max again to try, but sit for hours pulling out my hair.

EYPmtZP.jpg

xlaAubK.jpg

Maybe scrapping it , and starting over would be beneficial? Thanks !

EDIT: I know the shapes are far off from the actual concept, but I would still like to finish it and try again at some point
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    everyone is gonna approach this differently, but some things that I found handy in modelling a car:

-Do not cut in doors and such in at the beginning, it's gonna be really hard to keep a nice flow and keep everything nice and even.
    So cut them in afterwards.

-Really stay much lower on the amount of loops you have, the door for example has just to much segments to be able to control.

-And the most important thing in my opinion, just forget about turbosmooth/detail/cutins for a while unless you want to test something out.

Make the whole base shape of the body first, and then start refining that, adding edge loops, cutting in details, and working towards the final.

See it a bit as doing basemesh for a character, you don't start modelling and sculpting the feet to then move on to the legs, you do the whole basemesh first and work up from there.

Just make sure that this is nice and clean and the edge flow well, and the benefit of doing it this way is that you can very easily change things or start over with what you have learned about the shape.

In the example below I started that base again 3-4 times (first time doing a car) but that didn't matter, it only took 1-2 hours for each attempt, and afterwards it was really easy to just build on that.

Imo if you actualy do it this way that whole "I want to pull my hair out" feeling goes away.

To give a bit of example:
    This is an older one I did, the top one was sort of my base (couldn't find the actual finished base in my mess of files), and then just worked my way up untill I had the version on the bottom
    carkm.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    ...or, you know, NURBs...

:poly124: ...just trollin.

But seriously, why cant we have even just a quarter of these tools to work with:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkcrdwuUO8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkcrdwuUO8[/ame]
  • kazzuya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Help....I am trying to model a game controller, and i don't know how to add details to the handles....is floating geo an option? cause it's not working well
    Can somebody help me please?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    The fastest way would be to convert lines to normalmap and overlay after you extract from HP...The geo way well maybe something like this ?
    ibgU4OBOavllss.png
    lbgU4OBOavllss
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three65 polycounter lvl 6
    You could just add your support lines for the grooves, do a inset then a bevel or and extrude on the inset.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a picture of a inset and exturde I did on a grip recently, hopefully this might help you get an idea.

inset.jpg
  • cloakingturtle
    I need help with this piece. I'm not sure how i would cut in the Circle on top and on the sides of the sphere.. Any tips?

**I hope the image is loading for you guys**
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloakingturtle - this video may help you, I am pretty sure there is a way to do this with a cube and creasing or something like that I have seen it somewhere but can't remember where so this should help you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4iEJrbSOP0"]How to Design a Rounded Die for 3D-printing: 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I need help with this piece. I'm not sure how i would cut in the Circle on top and on the sides of the sphere.. Any tips?

Start with a circle, rotate it 90 degrees in all directions, bride their edges like below.

2cxjd
  • cloakingturtle
    Thank you so much guys. I will try this tomorrow :P
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator

Three65 wrote: »
    Cloakingturtle - this video may help you, I am pretty sure there is a way to do this with a cube and creasing or something like that I have seen it somewhere but can't remember where so this should help you.

How to Design a Rounded Die for 3D-printing: 1/3 - YouTube

No need to overthink this, guys. :)

Die_tut_zps3fd81eeb.gif
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Goddamn that makes so much sense and is so simple, why didn't I think of that? :D

By the way, is there an easy way to make these nice mini-tutorial gifs?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    woops, browser issue or something, posted in the wrong thread :s can't find delete post button :\
  • cloakingturtle
    Ahahaha wow that's even easier:P
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much easier for sure, I new there was a way it could be done with a cube. But for the life of me I could not remember.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Glad you like it, guys. :)
    Goddamn that makes so much sense and is so simple, why didn't I think of that? :D

By the way, is there an easy way to make these nice mini-tutorial gifs?
    I just used the animation features in Photoshop. I made a bunch of layers and added a new frame for each layer. Easy :)
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    How would I go about modelling this? I'm not a new modeller but I definitely should've spent more time trying complex shapes. Would love your advice.

dSesjp6.png
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    @ZombieDawgs:

Just try it first and show it to us so we can comment on it. You will see that this shape is easier than you might think ;)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    @ZombieDawgs:
    I would probably start modeling this model from a sphere
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    how do you distort the proper geometry into something closer to organic rathar than basic hard surfaces?
    My attempts end up with some weird spikes and stuff.I guess a better controll is possible with smaller poly's,but then it would be a pain in a but to correct them all.
    joystick.jpg
    I challenged myself with joystick,and the handle bugs the hell out of me.
    I did some basic blockout for rest of joystick,which i'll refine later on
    0EyTH.jpg

But the handle,it looks soo mind-bending that i cant grasp it.I tried to pull edges out of my current model,tried with cylinder,produced nothing.

it looks like cylinder,but one side is smaller than other,and it isnt an uniform scale between those.it gets wider and flatter on the other end.
    Bottom part look spherical.
    I did try to take 3/4 of sphere,then draw out from there,still,i cant get that curvature.Perhaps a turbosmooth would get it for me,but i'm uncertain(i'm certain it can do it,but i'm not sure of the shape's look before turbosmooth is applied)

Only thing left as far as i know is a shapemerge from compounds.I'll try it on my home PC later on.Meantime,i would appreciate some ideas or suggestions.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metalliandy is wrong, and you should never listen to him. The best way to make little gifs is the lazy way, namely: http://www.cockos.com/licecap/
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Metalliandy is wrong, and you should never listen to him. The best way to make little gifs is the lazy way, namely: http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Ooh, nice, thanks for this!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    4evra wrote: »
    how do you distort the proper geometry into something closer to organic rathar than basic hard surfaces?
    My attempts end up with some weird spikes and stuff.I guess a better controll is possible with smaller poly's,but then it would be a pain in a but to correct them all.
    joystick.jpg
    I challenged myself with joystick,and the handle bugs the hell out of me.
    I did some basic blockout for rest of joystick,which i'll refine later on
    0EyTH.jpg

But the handle,it looks soo mind-bending that i cant grasp it.I tried to pull edges out of my current model,tried with cylinder,produced nothing.

it looks like cylinder,but one side is smaller than other,and it isnt an uniform scale between those.it gets wider and flatter on the other end.
    Bottom part look spherical.
    I did try to take 3/4 of sphere,then draw out from there,still,i cant get that curvature.Perhaps a turbosmooth would get it for me,but i'm uncertain(i'm certain it can do it,but i'm not sure of the shape's look before turbosmooth is applied)

Only thing left as far as i know is a shapemerge from compounds.I'll try it on my home PC later on.Meantime,i would appreciate some ideas or suggestions.
    This could be a way =)), but another would be to extrude the prouting part and try to slide vertices manually on edges but i'm not a fan of that one :).
    ibqy4pn5b7Das.png
  • ValugaTheLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have a problem, I hate Chamfer!

I have this basic design I would like to chamfer so it would look metallic but when I do, it has some unwanted artefacts, they aren't huge but it bugs me so I ask you, what is the best way to do it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have a problem, I hate Chamfer!

I have this basic design I would like to chamfer so it would look metallic but when I do, it has some unwanted artefacts, they aren't huge but it bugs me so I ask you, what is the best way to do it?
    So don't use chamfer? How about using bevel, quads and use a lot more geometry?

ModelingHelp01.jpg

ModelingHelp00.gif

ModelingHelp02.gif
    • Bevel inward a few times, to create some support loops, this also creates a nice quad corner for you, which is something you can do on your own, but this just makes it easier.
    • Bevel outward a few times, to create some more support loops.
    • Cut an edge in the middle and move some polys out to create the slope.
    • Add some more edges for support and to help with smoothing.
    • It isn't horrible to have a consistent quad size and to have a lot of quads in your high poly.
  • sasuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind......
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Ok this is kicking my ass. Those holes! That hemi-spherical shape!

I KNOW there's probably a logical way of doing this using modifiers but I can't figure it out.

Needs to be 100% accurate because the client wants a close-up - fortunately it's a pre-rendered product shot so no need to worry about geo or baking.

RWPhoto.png

Rage quit? lol
    I feel like the best way would be to make the spoon without the holes really highpoly. Then use booleans to punch the holes into the spoon, and retopo over it to get the geometry that is more friendly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay, the reason I suggested ProBooleans (in max) is because it recalculates the topology to be as efficient as it possibly can be, after all of the cutting shapes are added. It also has an option to make quads instead of triangles so it does a pretty decent job of making cleaner geometry.

With standard Booleans you make one cut and those edges are final and any future cuts will slice into ever increasing chaotic triangulated nightmares.

This quick video outlines the key features:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPn-hPXy4U"]cresshead 3dsmax pro boolean - YouTube[/ame]
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    A simpler solution is
    draw it out flat, the lower spoon portion with holes, either in polys with a plan or use splines.

add a Turbosmooth 1 or 2 segments should work.
    Then us an FFD to bend it in the middle.

Shell the Geometry and be done.
  • dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys this is my first post in this great thread.. and i'm really having problem making this shape , its looks so easy yet really a pain for me to figure out the polygon distribution .. i'm really not good when it comes to sharp objects , can anyone please suggest any good tutorial regarding this kind of weapon making.. any help will make a huge difference for me :)

weapon_zps730b6bbb.jpg

Capture_zpsf60ad464.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i would either scuplt that or uses curves/Splines to trace the design and use them as guides. I would not use box modeling for such intricate designs. you could use that for your block in.
  • dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i will import it to zbrush later ... but i was thinking of a better base model for zbrush .. anyone alse want to give any more tips? :)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Zbrush/Shadowbox/Dynamesh

That was my workflow for my Demon Edge (see link in my sig)
  • hotzenplotz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I'm having an issue with the shape below.

Like you can see in the reference images it's the area of the moped where the engine sits (on it's right side). I'm trying to find the best lineflow for left side and the right side. The linflow of the right side later also needs to support the hatch (which in turn will need to have a lineflow which supports the air intakes).
    How would you go about creating that shape?

fXXjrPf.jpg
    zJY1ONu.jpg

References

zR27mE1.jpg
  • dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow really liked your sword c86gG :D
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you like it, guys. :)

I just used the animation features in Photoshop. I made a bunch of layers and added a new frame for each layer. Easy :)

On the topic of gifs in PS, two things that can save time

A. If you have a lot of images saved out that you want to make into a gif(like the exported frames from the turntable tool in Marmoset Toolbag), go into bridge, selected them all, then do tools - photoshop -> load as layers

B. Then when you have all your layers, from the animation window do create frames from layers, do reverse frames if it does it backwards.
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys. I'm having an issue with the shape below

Boxmodeling will be easier for this then poly_by_poly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. I'm having an issue with the shape below.

Like you can see in the reference images it's the area of the moped where the engine sits (on it's right side). I'm trying to find the best lineflow for left side and the right side. The linflow of the right side later also needs to support the hatch (which in turn will need to have a lineflow which supports the air intakes).
    How would you go about creating that shape?

fXXjrPf.jpg
    zJY1ONu.jpg

References

zR27mE1.jpg

Funny you should ask, I've been working on a Vespa as demo content for some of the stuff we'll be showing at GDC.

vespawires.jpg

I don't have backup copies to show the whole process but you can sort of figure it out of you look at the wires here, the basic process was:
    1. Blockout basic shape with minimal geometry with sub-ds, using the simple geometry to create smooth curves
    2. Sub-divide that, refine detail like the harder edges and whatnot
    3. Sub-divide that again and cut in the holes
    Sorry, can't share an OBJ for this.
  • LensFlare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LensFlare polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, could anyone give me some pointers on how to make the ridge on this surface? I cant get this right for the life of me. I should probably just model floaters and attach it after the fact, but I also suspect that this might be real simple and I'm just being an idiot.

1491806-F72XYH8.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    LensFlare wrote: »
    Hey guys, could anyone give me some pointers on how to make the ridge on this surface? I cant get this right for the life of me. I should probably just model floaters and attach it after the fact, but I also suspect that this might be real simple and I'm just being an idiot.

1491806-F72XYH8.jpg

Try it first. Then we'll help.