Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Samuraigun7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
    Could anyone help me model this blade and the edges i am trying to figure out

85208272.png
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Subdivide that area then select the faces and edtrude after that select the verticles above the tooths and pull them up.
  • petryad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lot of useful input in this forum :)
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    What would be cool is to gather what shape a person is trying to model and put the little tutorials/answers just under it for how to achieve it, in an appropriate section of the wiki, so users would stop asking the same things already done, and there would be no need of browsing the 92 pages of that thread to see if it already has be done. What do you think of that idea?

Example:

Synergy11 wants to model that shape:

shape1.jpg

Specter's way:

stepbystep2.PNG

And that can be done for all the minituts asked in that thread would be in the wiki.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to make a hill with a flat path spiralling up it.

This is just a modelling exercise but i've hit an issue.

I made a sphere and squashed it into a round hill shape, I joined that to a plane and chamfered it. So I'm now trying to add the path.

a few things i've tried is using a helix and making it into a spline. but the geometry that comes out of it is sloped where as I want something thats flat.

hill_path_wip.gif

here's the issue.
    and heres some examples of it in real life:

http://www.robertsmithson.com/earthworks/spiral-hill_b.htm
    http://www.robertsmithson.com/drawings/spiral_hill_broken_circle_800.htm

The idea is for it to be a very round ball looking hill, where as in the examples I could find its more of a pyramid

how can i make the helix geo flat? also is this the way you'd go about trying to make this piece?

heres a better side on shot showing the issue,

hill_path_wip2.gif

I've changed the roll setting to show it off more, if I change the roll to make one section flat the others go out more.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Collapse it to editable poly, select the ring edges and scale them down :)
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    Collapse it to editable poly, select the ring edges and scale them down :)
    O:

Thank you. its one of them things that you forget you can do. i used to scale like this in xsi but I think I stopped in 3ds. Thank you
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Could someone give me a hand with modelling this 'thing' here.

img6800.jpg

I know how to make the rivetty bits but have no idea how to make it into that oval shape. Thanks in advance.

I gave this a try, I need to sleep and only had five minutes so I didn't fully do the grippy part, I'll try to fix the faceting on the sides of that as well. 2r7ncau.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So right now I'm trying to do a high poly of a shoulder armor from reach and I'm having an issue with this part right in the middle it looks like it has dimples, I want it to smoothly and evenly taper out, I've been messing with it for about3 30 minutes, also if you have any other advice I'd love it, if anyone wants I can post all my wires so you can take it apart. bAHO5.pngI know its tris, but if I make the ends quads if looks worse. The issue is slight but annoying.
    oBWiH.png
    Thanks
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Something like this ?
    jbiMWkicMhTYYm.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Something like this ?

Kinda, thats what I have but my issue is I want it to be sharp at the corner, I'm making this cQuIR.jpg

I just realized its a much harder shape, since it was a ref I found after I started, But would like to still figure it out.

MbOCd.png
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    can anyone help me with this?
    it's pinching and i can't get it away,
    I saw up here a pentagon could maybe work but i can't figure out how to do it!

pinchProb.jpg

probably very easy to solve! >_<
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man that's easy just add some more geo.You could look in this thread and find many examples.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone has some tips on how to model welds?
    Like so: http://image.customclassictrucks.com/f/9297426/0705cct_14_z+welding_guide+.jpg

I know someone explained a way to do it once on this forum, but the search function turns up nothing.

I already tried deforming a sphere, and copying it a lot of times, but I can't get it to look right, since it's to "perfect".
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    If its going into a normal map, it wont matter, it will look fine, just jitter the size as you paint the weld spheres, max has this in the graphtie tools. Otherwise use zbrush and dynamesh.
  • natec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 17
    Forgot where I saw this originally posted, one of the car modeling sites. Mine is built off that. Simple mesh, path deform, you can add noise and other deformation to keep it from being too uniform.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, will give those approaches a go

Thanks for the help :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to ask again, one more question, I have been able to get the results I want, but my topology is beyond horrendous, is this relevant in a high poly model? ClDUw.png

SvhAU.png
    7wP0C.png
    Just to clarify the bottom is flat and it all looks how I want, the topo is just awful.
    I didn't really do that much work on the bottom, in fact it is horrible, but I was just making sure it looked how I wanted. Only thing I feel I'm struggling with is the sharp edges on the indents, UNXbE.png
    Anyway, I started this project not knowing if I could do this even as I'm a noob.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    As long as it looks nice and smooth, high-poly topology isn't a big deal. It's good that you're thinking about it though, as of course having a clean high-poly is nice and looks good in wire-frame renders, but at the end of the day it's the end product that matters. Refinement like that comes with learning and experience and you shouldn't let it bog you down too much.

Only thing I can think of is that for such a small piece, the edges look a bit tight and might not do their job baked down to a normal map. If you're not going to a game res model then disregard this, looks fine. :)

Good work, looking forward to seeing more!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo wrote: »
    As long as it looks nice and smooth, high-poly topology isn't a big deal. It's good that you're thinking about it though, as of course having a clean high-poly is nice and looks good in wire-frame renders, but at the end of the day it's the end product that matters. Refinement like that comes with learning and experience and you shouldn't let it bog you down too much.

Only thing I can think of is that for such a small piece, the edges look a bit tight and might not do their job baked down to a normal map. If you're not going to a game res model then disregard this, looks fine. :)

Good work, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! I've only been modeling for three and a half months so I should have more questions since I'm working on a project. And yes I totally agree with the sharp edges, it's very frustrating. On those sharp parts.
  • Hanpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice on how to model the following shape:

nv21_b.jpg

The part I am having the most trouble with is the circles towards the center of the cylinder, I've been clawing through this thread trying to find example of cutting out circles but haven't come up with much.

Also, when working with a circular symmetrical shape like this, is there a recommended workflow? Should I model a single 'slice' segment then attempt to somehow radially mirror the shape?
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys,I am modeling SVV VIntorez and I d like to ask you, how would you improve this polyflow, because I am getting mad about how to achieve some nice polyflow
    HSTB1.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,I am modeling SVV VIntorez and I d like to ask you, how would you improve this polyflow, because I am getting mad about how to achieve some nice polyflow
    HSTB1.jpg
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1200008&postcount=45
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wooooww, many thanks :D
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Np, btw you could try to draw the wireframes on the pics as an action plan if it helps.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My problem is ,I cant imagine those wires :S and I dont know if I should use more insets or model everything from box by adding details and loopcuts
  • Un_dead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, i need a bit of help with modelling a violin scroll. I can't seem to figure out how to start doing it. I've tried with a helix spline, but from there I don't know where to go.
    Any help is greatly appreciated :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Violin_scroll.jpg
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, guys! Can someone help me to figure out how to medel this screw? It would be very simple if not for that rectangular cut in the middle. I tried to use cylinder but it's not working for me, Toorbosmooth has a lot of horrible pinches were this cut goes. Any ideas?

screw.jpg
  • natec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 17
    Post your attempts.

This looks very much like other similar parts earlier in this thread, and could be handled the same way.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    hey, natec. Basically what I did was kinda the same what respawnrt did, but I had way too much sements for the cylinder and I was confused how to control it properly. Now I see it was not that hard actually. Thanks, respawnrt! I appreciate your help :)
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    very nice respawnrt! thanks!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Hey so I'm trying to model number 18 from this image. It's part of a challenge to improve your modelling. I want to make it high poly, subdivided. However I'm having issues creating two combined cylinders without creasing or deformation.

Anyone able to help?

1338698667982.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hey so I'm trying to model number 18 from this image. It's part of a challenge to improve your modelling. I want to make it high poly, subdivided. However I'm having issues creating two combined cylinders without creasing or deformation.

Anyone able to help?

1338698667982.jpg

If you post your current progress (wires), people will be able to give more specific advice as to what you are doing wrong :)
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    don't laugh, I'm aware it's awful but it's the closest I've managed to what I am trying to achieve (two connected cylinders with a hard edge between them)
    wires.jpg

and here is what it looks subdivided

subd.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Hmm, thanks for helping, seems to have worked okay, I changed it a little to get the shape I was after. But it doesn't seem like very good topology? and there are still deformations around the side connections...

humds.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't look that bad aside from a little pinching that i guess it is from that support edge that you added so double the cilinder sides try that.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Finally got pretty much what I wanted! Thanks a bunch for the help!

humds2.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Careful with your edge width - that's looking pretty tight, supporting edges shouldn't need to ride so close to the edges they're supporting. You also want supporting edges on both sides of an edge when you can, not just on one side.

i'd prolly set it up a little more like this

mgPyC.png
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    noted, thanks for the input :)
  • turdi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,

First of all, I spent all day today looking though this post and I find it awesome, so much useful information.

Although I came with a question (here is so much information, that I don't remember, was it posted or not).

In the pictures 1-3 i try to make a hole, I used a 12 angle(verts) circle to make it, but as you can see I can't figure out how to make it work all in quads.

I made it with 12 verts with a reason, because I will create a normal map from this model and then apply it to the low poly, but I want the low poly to have the real hole in the mesh, not only a normal map effect.

In image 4 you can see, that I used 8 verts circle. I suppose this is the right way to do it, but the question is.

When I will bake a normal map (in 3dsmax) will it be round? Is it enough geo for the circle to be round in low poly? I don't like the corner sharpness.

I had some previous experience, that it won't be.

circle_01.jpg
    circle_02.jpg
    circle_03.jpg
    circle_05.jpg

Please anyone, tell me the right way to do it.

Thanks,
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    hey turdi
    so yeah you can use a 10 side circle and I think you will be in better shape as I did on this drawing

also,
    you dont need to worry about those 10 sides baking correctly cause you will use a whole separate cage usually to capture the bake, so you can have 12,13 or however many sides you feel you need for the low poly. On your high poly your just focused on smooth edges and such. Inversely you could do floater geo as well.

you almost never just turn the turbo smoth off and then hit bake. Your lo poly need to fleshed out in whole different way.

i1G1s0yRu0WpF.jpg
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    iBICVhsD24Aag.jpg

here is a way i usually prefer just because I like making that square around the corners of the circle
    this is using a six sided one hope this help
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I got the big shapes out of the way, anytipes on getting those litle details in there?

Also, the bubbled up pieces near the bottom.

The handle indents, little lines, squares, indents all around is what I am hoping for help with. I am not sure if my topo is acceptable I was just going to make this a low poly, but if someone can aid me on proper topo to subD it, that would be sweet.

peMX0.jpg
    vQjPo.jpg
  • turdi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn wrote: »
    iBICVhsD24Aag.jpg

here is a way i usually prefer just because I like making that square around the corners of the circle
    this is using a six sided one hope this help

Thanks man, I will do that :)

The way you show is in my prefered list also, but I'm dealing with low poly now, so I need to think about round edge without turbo smooth :)

Thanks for the advice, I didn´t think about the additional edges.

Thank you,
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I'm back again :P I'm not sure if this belongs here but I have an issue with floating geo. I'm trying to model in an indent into a gun. However, when create a flat surface to make the indent curve into the model, it can be seen that this doesn't match the shape of the surface.. as can be seen in the screenshot. I figure if I can see this difference, so can the renderer baking the normal map. What's a good way to create floating geo that smooths nicely into the (curved) geometry behind it? Hope this makes sense (kinda tired and not thinking straight atm :poly142: ) using max if it helps

geo.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    hmm, I did try copying the original but I ended up distorting the surface. It just seems like it would be no easier than to just cut it into the geometry. For example, in the below image, the handle edges curve, I don't see how I could add in the straight indents without distoring the copied geo?

geo2.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Uh, I tried cutting it in using boolean but it doesn't give that smooth transition (as they surfaces don't line up. And I can't subd it because it creates more useless verts than I care to clean up. The below image demonstrates the difference:
    geo3.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    thanks for the help! I don't see how I would get the lip with the boolean if the lip doesn't match up with the duplicated geo though.. Im thinking it would just be 100x quicker to add this in with nd02 in ps ;p