Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1974.vikas wrote: »
    What possibly wrong I am doing here . I am getting a nasty pinching at that spot . All quads !v1.jpgkm2.jpgh6.jpg

You're trying to make it bend round to much, just because you added an extra edge along the right to make the tri into quads isn't helping.
    instead of removing the edge on the left side why not make it thinner

side_quad_help_pc.jpg

I have a question! i seem to be having a 3d blackout and can't remember which 3d app has a tool where you can cap holes in geo by clicking round the edges and as you do it draws in the poly:

capping_hole_program_question.jpg

anyone know? it puts arrows on the edges to show which was to click for the normal, its either max, maya or softimage
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Softimage does something like that, but for all I know other programs do so as well
    xsi_add_polygon.jpg
  • globaltrade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for sharing!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    cryrid wrote: »
    Softimage does something like that, but for all I know other programs do so as well
    xsi_add_polygon.jpg

Blender Kinda does something similar with fill poly. Anything similar in Max?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    In Max you can use create in subobject mode "poly" to click the verts to make a new poly, or you can select X + Y edges where each is a contiguous strip that doesn't touch the other and use "bridge" to fill the gap with polygons, or in subobject mode "border" you can select a border and use cap to fill it with polies.

AFAIK those are the only poly generation tools similar to what you're talking about. For the specific functionality you're talking about you'd need to create and click verts, not edges, but that's not that dissimilar.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, Poly sub-object mode create is what I was looking for, Thanks!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    lloyd --that sounds like you're describing Maya's Append-to-poly tool.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    xsi_add_polygon.jpg

lloyd --that sounds like you're describing Maya's Append-to-poly tool.

Thank you!

I've been jumping between maya and max recently and was trying to do this in max but couldn't find the button :(

I had also used Softimage (XSI at the time) loads a few years ago. Its funny how you merge programs into one in your head and get lost.

The right thing is actually Maya, BUT in my head I see the UI of Softimage, as that was the first program I used this tool in. (thanks for that BRAIN ¬_¬ )

Thats cool both programs have this tool and I hope its something max will get soon.

ty pc :thumbup:

EDIT:
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    In Max you can use create in subobject mode "poly" to click the verts to make a new poly, or you can select X + Y edges where each is a contiguous strip that doesn't touch the other and use "bridge" to fill the gap with polygons, or in subobject mode "border" you can select a border and use cap to fill it with polies.

AFAIK those are the only poly generation tools similar to what you're talking about. For the specific functionality you're talking about you'd need to create and click verts, not edges, but that's not that dissimilar.

FUCK A DUCK! That works! :O

I now work between max and maya but this is one 'tool' i had given up looking for in max, before to get around stuff like this id be doing cap boarder edge, or bridge-ing edges and adding verts / welding them

However I just went and checked it out in max and it works! the only difference between the apps is max doesn't have any visual indication its doing something until you finish, then it pops the poly in.

Thats actually helped loads! so the same tool is in all 3 packages.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    Hopefully the last post about my freakin gun :D

But does anybody have any idea how to add text to the high poly?

The text will be on flat surfaces but it is inwards so how to make that look good when it is smoothed?

The smoothing I use is first one with Smoothing Groups at 2 iterations and then one normal turbo smooth over that one.

Picture:
    1911_Highpoly_26.jpg

Thanks a lot!
  • Brick Top
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any idea how to get the green curve smooth so the hard looking edge (indicated in red) disappears? Thanks in advance!

curve1.jpg

curve2.jpg

curve3.jpg
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys,
    I have a problem that i can't solve.

zzpMf.jpg

My quads are not aligned properly, or at least i have pinching when i subsurf the window.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you show us what the pinching issue is? And zoom in on the area where it's happening? I don't need to see the bottom.

I'm at a loss to figure out what is wrong with that not seeing where the issue is and having a lot of the wires devolve into pixel soup at that rez.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the reply!
    But after 5 hours i fixed it :P
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Computron wrote: »
    Blender Kinda does something similar with fill poly. Anything similar in Max?

Also... the "Cap" tool within the graphite modeling tools. Not to be confused with the cap tool in the Editable Poly tools.

If you are using 2012 though you are screwed. They seemed to have broken this tool.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2012/relax-tool-broken-in-direct3d-among-other-things-in-nitrous#p248961

ikonane wrote: »

Couple of ways... Firstly... you are going to want to do a floater. I don't know anyone crazy enough to try and cut text into a model. Then try this method with the idea of a floater.

Warning: This is a dirty method.

A. Here is some nasty usually unusable boolean. Convert to an Editable Mesh. Otherwise you will get a tessalated mesh. Has to be an editable mesh. Then apply the Quadify Mesh modifier. Tweak number to desired result.

B. This is the Meshsmoothed version without any clean-up... not bad for 20 seconds of work.

C. With a little bit of clean up and edge chamfering (and I stress very little...), you can get a usable result.

Topology is not an issue because you don't plan on doing anything with it. And like I said it is a pretty dirty text method but it can work wonders if you absolutely need highpoly text in a fast manner.

I, personally, don't see why you need highpoly engraved text. It is overkill for what you are doing. If you plan on casting normals for a lowpoly... just do it later with NDo/Crazybump/Xnormal Filters/ect.

The other method if you had to have it on the highpoly would be to planar map a text texture on the side of your highpoly as a bump map. Bump maps cast to lowpoly when you Render to Texture.

Cheers.

QuadifyMeshTut.jpg

A. Here is some nasty usually unusable boolean. Convert to an Editable Mesh. Otherwise you will get a tessalated mesh. Has to be an editable mesh. Then apply the Quadify Mesh modifier. Tweak number to desired result.

B. This is the Meshsmoothed version without any clean-up... not bad for 20 seconds of work.

C. With a little bit of clean up and edge chamfering (and I stress very little...), you can get a usable result.

Topology is not an issue because you don't plan on doing anything with it. And like I said it is a pretty dirty text method but it can work wonders if you absolutely need highpoly text in a fast manner.

I, personally, don't see why you need highpoly engraved text. It is overkill for what you are doing. If you plan on casting normals for a lowpoly... just do it later with NDo/Crazybump/Xnormal Filters/ect.

The other method if you had to have it on the highpoly would be to planar map a text texture on the side of your highpoly as a bump map. Bump maps cast to lowpoly when you Render to Texture.

Cheers.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProBoolean has a quadrify result option built in (always use it over regular boolean anyways since it's a bit cleaner and works better with multiple objects anyways).

I haven't done low poly text in a while, but IIRC, in Max, my ultimate solution was to do this:

Text to spline
    extrude the text spline.
    select the "side" polygons (not the faces of the text, but the ones that build up the side post extrude)
    extrude those slightly.
    select the text "face" polygons, and extrude downwards.
    Bevel edges as needed
    select "face" verts and hit connect (this will make your mesh sloppy but should give you no real issues when you smooth)
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot to both of you!
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    ProBoolean has a quadrify result option built in (always use it over regular boolean anyways since it's a bit cleaner and works better with multiple objects anyways).

I haven't done low poly text in a while, but IIRC, in Max, my ultimate solution was to do this:

Text to spline
    extrude the text spline.
    select the "side" polygons (not the faces of the text, but the ones that build up the side post extrude)
    extrude those slightly.
    select the text "face" polygons, and extrude downwards.
    Bevel edges as needed
    select "face" verts and hit connect (this will make your mesh sloppy but should give you no real issues when you smooth)

This was fairly easy to do but I dont quite understand the last step. How do I connect the "faces" so it gets a flat plane?

This is how far I get it:
    Text_Test_2.jpg

Thanks!

Couple of ways... Firstly... you are going to want to do a floater. I don't know anyone crazy enough to try and cut text into a model. Then try this method with the idea of a floater.

Warning: This is a dirty method.

Cheers.

*picture*

Cheers.
    This method was very easy indeed. But as you said it is quite dirty and ends up with a lot(!) of polygons :D

Pic:
    Text_Test_1.jpg

Yes, that is absolutley true. But I want to make as good (identical) highpoly that I can because it is my first detailed high poly. So I want to learn as much as possible. I would not have done the mesh this detailed to begin with if it only were for a lowpoly. I know that I could have saved loads of time if I used nDo/xNormal instead but I dont want to do that for this project. :)

So you mean that this would work if I render my highpoly in vRay? Dont I need to unwrap the gun or something to get it to work?
  • 1974.vikas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ lloyd : Thankyou ....You made my day !! I could have never thought of adding an edge giving birth to a triangle. But it smooths like a charm . Thanks.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ikokane
    to do the last step, select the text faces, hold ctrl, and click the vert sub-object mode to convert the face selection into a vert selection. then hit connect.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi all,
    I am a car fanatic and I am stoned after reading this.
    http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/17/behind-the-scenes-creating-cars-need-for-speed-run.aspx

They have advantage of CAD data to make cars, but does anyone have idea how to achieve smooth surface in Max. I have tried Suface Subdivision set to NURBS in Edit Poly with 0 and 1 iterations, and smooth groups just to avoid using Turbosmooth, but at the end of the day both methods increase poly count unless i set value to 0. This way i manage to get smooth surface but it aint that good as what they showing under 25000 polys :D.
    Any idea if Maya has special feature to make surface so smooth like in the link above or its EA own magic. Also any words of wisdom on how to go about it in Max apart from the Suface line tool method and edit poly one. Cheers.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    correction smoth surface without using Turbosmooth and Meshsmooth.
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    As stated in the article, it needs a lot of vert tweaking.
    Also the method they are using is fairly simple, smoothing groups with a lot of chamfering.
    They could also have used normal maps but I think since today's graphic cards can handle a million polygons easily, a far more highpoly vehicle does a better job.

I'm not a expert at this, but that's what I think they are doing ;)

Here's a litte exmaple I made using only one smoothing group.
    Lf3WP.jpg
    From a distance it looks highpoly right? :P

Wire:
    ju620.jpg~200 polys
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ that's.. astonishingly nice to look at.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ha, now im gona cry :D. Oh well life is all about learning I just learned a new method of car modelling and I am new to gaming front.
    Thanks for taking time making that, I still think u use Maya lol (no offence)

I ll post my results soon :D
  • Pac_187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Nope, it's 3Ds Max .

Glad I could help you :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things work out awesomely without baked normal maps, and they shade way better than they would with low-resolution/mipped normal textures. I use a similar technique to make environments/props, especially helps with tiling textures since its one less texture/UV channel.

You could probably even lower the poly count if you did some explicit vertex normal tweaking.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    ikonane wrote: »

The text will be on flat surfaces but it is inwards so how to make that look good when it is smoothed?

The smoothing I use is first one with Smoothing Groups at 2 iterations and then one normal turbo smooth over that one.

Picture:
    1911_Highpoly_26.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Id say modelling in the text is a waste of your time. much better to do it with a bump map/normal map.
  • 1974.vikas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    I have found myself in trouble again and cant think of a way out . How I do this without causing a dirty pinch at that point ? I am modeling an F16 fighter aircraft and this is wing fuselage join .

Thanks for the help .

query1.jpgquery2.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    help-2.jpg Hey guys any idea on how to fix this seam ? I tried replacing the faces and adding a new edges but its still there any help would be very much appreciated!
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Would help to see the actual topology, but without knowing anything I would advise you to check for double vertices/edges (i.e. verts/edges sitting on top of each other).
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I fixed it, I checked the verts and the edges, and they where not double, so I just remodeled the piece and it looks fine now.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1974.vikas Hi , well personally I would model the wings separately as would in real life, wings on F-16 are assembled on production line not wielded into smooth joins.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/cretegeorge/1-4.jpg

I assume you havent read any of this, otherwise you would know how to avoid this issue.
    Look at all the poly tech tutorials and Rim tutorials
    http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?tutorials/

also check all pis near fuselage on this site to get better idea of how main body and wings come together.
    http://www.small-wonder.org/Gallery_00_Hasegawa_F-16A.htm

• PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    I am trying to model a snowmobile and im having trouble planning out how to do it. From what i have read in this thread so far im pretty sure ive made some mistakes. Has anyone here modeled a snowmobile or something similar, like an ATV or jetski that can give me some tips or guidance? I would appreciate any help that i can get.

Here is what I have so far.

Its all 1 object except for the seat. Im wondering if i should try and keep everything as 1 object or just use floaters, but from what ive read here that may cause some issues so im not sure.
    Im not using blueprints since im going for a more futuristic look, but i do have some snowmobile photos for reference and basic shape, etc.

CU7Xi.jpg

f8DPe.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    PVJ, one thing I can tell you is not to build it from one single mesh unless the real deal is made the same way (and even then, if you can separate for example the top and bottom pieces, do it because it will be better when dealing with control edges and all that stuff).
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help!
    I wanted to give something back, so I did this tutorial. There is a similar tutorial linked on page 49 or such but this one is more in depth and with explanatory images. I hope that someone will find it useful.

detail1911tutorial.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks again!
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor Advice needed. (Using Maya v2012)

I have 4 ways in mind but i hate trying them all to see which would be quick and give the best result
    So i ask how would anyone here tackle Modeling the design within the red borders

350p4qb.png
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm was one of the ways you was thinking about, modeling some of the shapes out of a cubes and then using a bend to wrap it around the cylinder object and then using lattice to push it into the side of the mesh ?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I would take a tall rectangle into ZBrush and start painting on the design, and pick up the document and offset it (~/` key I think) (make sure the top and bottom of the rectangle match the top and bottom of the document), then drop it back down and fix the seam. Then take that into your Maya and bend it 360 to a cylinder and weld the edge vertices.
    Then to ensure you have smooth 90 degree angles leading off the design strip, you'll want to project the design on a simple subdivided cylinder without any design. :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nkwinder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all!! First post here :)

I started modeling a bike... and i would really like to know how would you try to model this tire thread....

Michelin%20pilot%20road%202%202CT.JPG_V.jpg

i'have gone for the pro booleans... but the result isn't so rewarding. I want some chamfering ... and now what? :)

i could use displacement map.. but i want it to be highly detailed

tirethread.jpg

michelin-pilot-road-2-rear.jpg
    michelin-pilot-road-2-rear.jpg
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    Minor Advice needed. (Using Maya v2012)

I have 4 ways in mind but i hate trying them all to see which would be quick and give the best result
    So i ask how would anyone here tackle Modeling the design within the red borders

Try model this decoration on the plane and then bend it to the cylinder :)

If you know the diameter of the cylinder, then you have to make the ornament plate as long as diameter*3.14 - just a school math :)

This way seems to be rather simple.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how to model a tire must be among the top 3 of online modeling tutorials..
  • nkwinder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes... but not in the quality and detail i want it... As u see... i've already modeled it in an "online tutorial" way :) If u happen to know of a better way.. i would be glad if u share it...

thanks
  • natec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 17
    nkwinder:

You're looking at the wrong tutorials then. ;) This is fast and crappy paint over, but isolate a repeating pattern on the tire and just model that. It should be able to be equally divided in 360deg. (See PINK section) Also, in your case you need to make sure you can offset the pattern by 1/2 its with and it will interlock with a mirror of itself (See GREEN section)

Use instances...and you could even model it flat and bend it up into shape if necessary.

tire.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Maybey this tutorial is something for you?
    http://eat3d.com/free/tire_model
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a shape I have been struggling with. Any pointers??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/shape1.jpg/

Thanks
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Yes.

How did you do that?