Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Had to do something similar for a CN game a couple of years back. basically you model the thing and then u copy the geo, give it a push on the normal direction and then invert the faces and give it the color of the outline you want (in the casi of my image, black)
    Hope it helped! Cheers!

• Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    rage288 said:
    Had to do something similar for a CN game a couple of years back. basically you model the thing and then u copy the geo, give it a push on the normal direction and then invert the faces and give it the color of the outline you want (in the casi of my image, black)
    Hope it helped! Cheers!
    I know about this inverted hull, thanks tho! I'm much more interested in how you made that geometry in an efficient way. Looks to me like a subdivided cube with extrusions? I might've automatically gone to icosphere for spherical primitives..

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a subdivided cube (im using Max) with some face extrusions for the thingies, nothing much.
    If u want to achieve the detail that the illustration has u may need a bit more geometry to make the wobbly countours. Cheers! :) 
  • Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks, I will try a more deliberate approach. I first tried doing it procedurally, and though the silhouette looks good, the tricount, shading and geometry in itself is horrifying D:

• montressor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    montressor polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the suggestions!

However the Waywo's one is more quicker and easier, I think MaxHoek solution results a more more cleaner topology.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Yeah I took a gander at images of the USB drive and it's definitely a rounded subtraction rather than a punch-through.

One specific thing Waywo didn't model was the edge sharpness of the box shape changing where it curves up into the cylinder.
  • VonDoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VonDoom polycounter lvl 6
    How do I keep a nice mesh flow around these gunports? For the record I used a 12-sided cylinder.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    VonDoom said:
    How do I keep a nice mesh flow around these gunports? For the record I used a 12-sided cylinder.

Peter Stammbach has a video about this exact shape. In essence, you want to model it flat then use modifiers to morph it into that conic shape. Video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6Gt2qRPRM

• RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RealityFix polycounter lvl 5

Does anyone wanna do a draw over for this? I've been trying to solve it elegantly but I'm having difficulty. I thought I had enough geo to pull of this corner on a curve but maybe not?

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    perna said:
    MaxHoek's version (sorry man) should never pass approval. The main curve is melted, the specular highlights will be all over the place. This should never be the case with hard-surface. They should always be very well defined and clean.
    thanks for giving me your critics, i appreciate! Also think you are right, there should be a bit more geo to control the overall shape. To my defense, my plan was to show the overall idea how to manage this. Not to show him the complete tutorial xD but yea, could better, spec is a bit messy in some areas. 
    @WaYWO `s is much cleaner in end result, but maybe a bit too much geo for everything, isnt it? dont want to blame someone, just for my learning process xD 
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    Making the batmobile was fun till i hit this...

Wip but here is how I'm doing mine, not the cleanest but it works :

I just cant seem to do it... its making me want to delete the whole top :/
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

looks something like this now :/
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

managed to clean the topology and make the intake :open_mouth: Now I need to fix a few edgy things and move on xD
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6

managed to clean the topology and make the intake :open_mouth: Now I need to fix a few edgy things and move on xD
    I'd make a thread for this if you want to keep us updated.
  • DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton said:

I have actually but no one seems to look at it I guess xD
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    gfelton said:

I have actually but no one seems to look at it I guess xD
    give it more than one post
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator

I want to take the group on the left of the image, and duplicate it have it placed on the center of every face on the object on the right how can i do this?

Im working in Maya 2017 and/or Modo 10 whichever one can do this easier 
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    in modo you can use replicators. set your prototype(mesh to be copied) and point source(mesh to be copied on) then go geometry-->bake geometry cache to turn replicator meshes into polygons. 

ps. if you wanna see replicators as actual meshes and not boxes press 'O' then in drawing and controls tab check 'all' next to Replicator. 

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do i make the turret area on the Batmobile?
    In Max both boolean tools are destroying the geometry.

• montressor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Montressor, my three cents:

Waywo's solution would benefit from less dense geo to make it more manageable, quicker to deal with the strange centerline ngons, and easier to modify the curvature, but is basically the standard way most of us would approach the shape.

MaxHoek's version (sorry man) should never pass approval. The main curve is melted, the specular highlights will be all over the place. This should never be the case with hard-surface. They should always be very well defined and clean.

I believe MaxHoek is correct in that the hole is not a simple punch-through but curved, like a torus subtraction.

Keep in mind that while Waywo shows a solid general approach, there are more subtleties at play if you want to accurately capture the reference shape.

Thank you very much Perna! Nowadays I have no free time :(, but I will do it. One more question: I will try it with a 36 segmented cylinder, do you think is it a good start point? i tried a lot with 24, but it proved to be few. However i feel the 40+ segments a lot. 
    thank you
  • stuffinmyhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuffinmyhead polycounter lvl 6
    Need help with a helmet.
    Anyone know how i can model this little thing? tried serval times but either im stupid or just approching the problem the wrong way?

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    How do I make this shape?
    Making an AK 12

Because I like how AK 12s look like :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can make that shape in numeros ways. Boolean that out, use edge extrude, box modeling... Why don't you try it out, and post your results if you still haven't figured it out.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Why don't you try it out

.........nah, tutorial plz
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    boolean it is then, thx
  • DragonGuard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DragonGuard triangle
    Hey guys. I'm currently working on the lowpoly for my WW2 British shellcase box. This is my first time building a lowpoly to bake a normal to. I have this top lid that I'm having some difficulties with deciding what to keep in the model and what to put in the bake. There's part of it that effects the silhouette of the box, but curves on inwards.

• WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Hey guys. I'm currently working on the lowpoly for my WW2 British shellcase box. This is my first time building a lowpoly to bake a normal to. I have this top lid that I'm having some difficulties with deciding what to keep in the model and what to put in the bake. There's part of it that effects the silhouette of the box, but curves on inwards.

It depends on the level of details your are able to put in your Low poly, even your LOD's , from what distance it might be seen, Etc... here I would draw a box , delete the bottom and add thickness to it.
  • arcane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcane polycounter lvl 4

Hey folks,

I am getting this nasty lines on the corners when I apply the turbosmooth modifier. I can really use some help on the subject. Thanks in advance.

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you dont have evenly distributed loops on a cuirved surface it will be visible. Ever tried opensubdiv and creasing or quadchamfer?
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    arcane said:

Hey folks,

I am getting this nasty lines on the corners when I apply the turbosmooth modifier. I can really use some help on the subject. Thanks in advance.

This has literally been answered on every page in this thread, read back a few pages... You need more geometry on the object to retain the shape. Try starting with 48-64 sides and start again, remember to space the loops and try insetting the cutout from the surface and pulling it back, that way you'll generate some supporting geometry.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    arcane said:

Hey folks,

Dude, this one has been answered... I think the "use more geo" is a lazy one... Wait got something ..
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    The Result gives few, to no distortion depending on the Solution, Blue is great , Pink to , Yellow .. .

• gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gestoryscht polycounter lvl 7
    new to maya - modelling a pine cone

hi everyone. i switch to maya and its very hard for me to rethink my modelling process. i came from blender and here we have for this kind of stuff a radial array. just place an empty - rotate, scale and translate it and the instances are getting the shape you want. everything very inutitive and simple.

blender version

anyway - in maya we dont have modifier like this and i searched a bit. is it only possible to try and error this kind of things with edit -> duplicate special? how can i scale the tip of the cone in object/item mode?

thanks for your advice!

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gestoryscht Look into using Mash in Maya, it has lots of instancing magic. Alternatively, duplicate special as instance one tier of tines, group those, then instance the group, move it up and rotate until you have as many tiers as you need. For scaling the tip, you can use a deformer like lattice on a group and the deforms propagate to that group's children as a whole.
  • arcane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcane polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks WaYWO, I am trying OpenSubdiv. MPS version crashing for some reason. But I am gonna figure it out somehow. 
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gestoryscht polycounter lvl 7
    @throttlekitty
    thanks, this is maybe the best way to do. i'll give it a try!
  • boski_miszczu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boski_miszczu polycounter lvl 4
    hi guys!
    I have problem with one part of the object that I try to model. I spent hole evening and the night by trying to figure it out. 
    here is clean reference image:

here I marked problematic part (slope surface on wooden part with bevel in the middle <bevel under the metal plate>):

and here is my screenshot from max:

I tried to cut this shape by using cut tool, but my topoloby after that look horrible. I will be greatfull for any tip! How you guys solve this kind of problem? How is your approach?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show how it looks after you used the cut tool and cleaned up the geo?
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    perna said:
    Montressor, I wonder where some of you get these numbers from. 36, 24, 40. They don't make any sense to me.

Time to look at the core principles of subdivision modeling:

What's the deal with the "perfectly spaced" C sample? Or, putting the question in another way, what's imperfectly spaced with B? 
  • boski_miszczu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boski_miszczu polycounter lvl 4
    Pedro so you suggested that using cut tool in this case is a good approach? I cant show my geo after because: 
    - result was so bad that I deleted it
    - for few days I am outside the hause and I cant reach my PC

If you guys ensure me that using cut tool is good approach I will be try again. I woundering is there maybe different way (faster? easier? cleaner? more professional?) to achieve this particular shape?
  • montressor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Montressor, I wonder where some of you get these numbers from. 36, 24, 40. They don't make any sense to me.

Time to look at the core principles of subdivision modeling:

It's high time... Thank you very much for the help. It is nice.
    What makes me think a lot is that how can I maintain the perfect cylinder shape in the hole. This approach is very good and nice if the lower part pulled slightly, but if you pulled it more the shape will be much oval. So first I tried to make the flat shape then cut a cylinder into it, which leads to uneven topology, when I tried to organize the edges between the hole and side of the flat shape.
    However your approach is sufficient for making the model, so I think I'm just wasting my time and stuck in unimportant thing.. :)
    Thank you again 

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Ohh, I was too focused on the circle, didn't catch the spacing of everything else and how it'd bend. Me gusta mucho. 
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    I made a hard edged pipe shape by going vert by vert and matching the y and z axis.

However i assumed it would be a simple case of 'grab the cap and rotate 45 degrees and merge. It wasn't.  The rotation collapsed the shape 

Does anyone have any maya techniques to quickly achieve hard edged pipes? Felt like I took the long way around and there was a much simpler approach I couldn't see.

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    @oskarkeo in max I would use a spline, pretty sure maya also supports spline modeling
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oskarkeo I use Vertex Align Tools for this, the corner align function usually needs to work in chunks or halves of a model. Another option is to use shrink wrap; set up a plane at 45 degrees, wrap the first set of verts to it, then the second half. @MaxHoek Maya doesn't like that corner.

• oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    @throttlekitty @MaxHoek
    thanks for the suggestions guys.  Throttlekitty was especially useful - i've never used the vertex align tools script. must check it out.
    ShrinkWrap looks like it might get me the result i was looking for but i've always found shrinkwraps to be a bit fiddly in the past. 

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo said:
    @throttlekitty @MaxHoek
    thanks for the suggestions guys.  Throttlekitty was especially useful - i've never used the vertex align tools script. must check it out.
    ShrinkWrap looks like it might get me the result i was looking for but i've always found shrinkwraps to be a bit fiddly in the past. 

Arent you guys overthinking all this? I mean its just a corner...

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Cant you do this in maya with splines?
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or so if your program cant handle that from abov comment, just make sure once you rotate the loop to scale (like in the case of the video) on the X and Y axis but not on the Z axis and TADAA ;)

t.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rage288 if Maya can do that with splines, I've never seen it- you get the two 90deg angles trying to blend like you show in your manual gif. It's doable that way, but I'm too anal about skewing.