Author : Gnashed

Old (#1)
Hey Everyone,

I've just released an update to my reference viewer tool, Kuadro, and thought I would share it here.

Kuadro is a tool that lets you open multiple windows across multiple monitors, resize, rotate, crop, zoom, and organize them the way you want it on your desktop, and then save that preset for later!

The tool is portable, so all you need is the executable, no installation and it can live in your dropbox or gdrive. It's designed to stay out of your way and be as minimal as possible.

I've been adding a bunch of enhancements based on your feedback and would love to hear more.

Here's a video of Mike Pavlovich running through some of the features.

The tool is free to download, and you can get it at
http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

Thanks!

Offline , line, 70 Posts, Join Date Dec 2014, Location Austin TX  

Old (#2)
Hi Luiz,

Kuadro is great, thank you for this tool, now following the discution in the other forum I think maintaining the layout would be for me main concern when going throw the images, I'm thinking that if I need to make the window match the image I can do that after with your already implemented . Great work man once again and thank you that you are open to sugestions.
Offline , line, 64 Posts, Join Date Jan 2013, Location Bucharest  

Old (#3)
Hey Christian,

Just released version .4! This has both of the features you mentioned.

Let me know if those work well for you and help spread the word!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

Old (#4)
Hi Luiz,

That was fast, thank you, I will let you know as soon as I will get to my computer.

Thank you.

Old (#5)
Hi Luiz,

version 0.4 works great, one thing I've noticed is when I have a preset opened and I am trying to open another image by double clicking on it's icon, it will actually open another instance of Kuadro with the image, do you think that it is possible to open it like adding the image to the already opened instance of Kuadro?

Old (#6)
Been using that tool for a while now! I like it more than any other ones so far!
Offline , triangle, 321 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location UK  

Old (#7)
Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Alex Perez
Gallery
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,018 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Leominster, MA  

Old (#8)
Thanks for this great little helper
Offline , triangle, 436 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Hamburg  

Old (#9)
Looks like a great tool...personally I have a few thousand images in my reference folders and finding them in explorer is a pain...maybe you could support drag and drop from your regular image viewer (xnview etc)?
Just dragging an image to the Kuadro icon in the lower right to open it would be nice.
A small "bug"..if you left click the icon the menu shows up but won't disappear if you click somewhere else. Easily fixable by right clicking it again, but it's something.
-----------------------
www.mattiasmagito.com
Offline , spline, 109 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Sweden  

Old (#10)
Any hope for an OSX version?
Offline , vertex, 35 Posts, Join Date Aug 2014,  

Old (#11)
I was recently annoyed with opening the same series of images, so this comes at a good time for me! Thanks for sharing it!
Offline , polycounter, 1,280 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location South Dakota  

Old (#12)
Octo: Drag and Drop is something I'm looking into. Unfortunately the library I'm using doesn't recognize dropping on the icon, but I could do something that you can drop onto an already open image. Would that still be useful?

JasonHeckmen: I'm working on it. The tool is written in python, so in theory it's super easy. I have the source working on my mac, but whenever I package it into a .app it has some issues running on other people's computers. Definitely something I'm actively trying to figure out.

Everyone else: Thanks for trying it out!

Old (#13)
Hey Ikruel,

This is awesome. Passed it on to some people at work too. Found a bug though where if you left click on the icon, the toolstrip menu doesnt disappear when it has lost context/focus. The only way is to right click. Awesome, any chance mentioning what libraries you are using to make it a system tray tool? Just something for food for thought later.
Technical Artist at Digital Extremes.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,284 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Toronto  

Old (#14)
--Weird dup post

Last edited by haiddasalami; 01-13-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,284 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Toronto  

Old (#15)
hey haidddasalami,

I'll check it out, thanks for reporting it!

I'm using PySide for the system tray and UI for it, works pretty well for the most part. Also using py2exe to package it up as a single executable.

Old (#16)
I've just started using this program. I think it's fantastic and it is a lot better then the other reference viewers out there. I like Kuadro because it has borderless images and its very minimalistic to use.

One thing I would have liked is if all the images were on a single instance of the program. I don't stack taskbar buttons for accessibility so having 6 or so Kuadro buttons filling up the taskbar is not so great.

Other then that great program dude.
Offline , triangle, 347 Posts, Join Date Aug 2013, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#17)
I agree with making it all on one instance.
I like keeping everything set to always on top, but sometimes I need to minimize to get to other things and just clicking one icon on the taskbar to minimize would be helpful...
Offline , spline, 105 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Ontario  

Old (#18)
I don't know if it is possible but if I could freeze a reference image BUT not make it active it would be extremely helpful in some painting apps. I could lower opacity and paint right on top of the image.
Offline , polygon, 559 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013, Location Moscow, Russia  

Old (#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzibarik View Post
I don't know if it is possible but if I could freeze a reference image BUT not make it active it would be extremely helpful in some painting apps. I could lower opacity and paint right on top of the image.
I don't understand why you would do this when you can just put that image into the canvas and lower the opacity? It's exactly the same thing.
Offline , triangle, 347 Posts, Join Date Aug 2013, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#20)
thanks for releasing this, I'm really lovin Kuadro! It's just about everything I've wanted in a ref viewer

the only major request I'd have where I still might use irfanview over this is to rotate images arbitrarily - sometimes the photo or concept is created at a weird angle and I want straighten it out without going into photoshop. I'm not sure how you're doing all this though, so it could be there's a very good reason you haven't added it yet
Offline , polycounter, 916 Posts, Join Date Mar 2006, Location Bellevue, Washington  

Old (#21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkruel View Post
Octo: Drag and Drop is something I'm looking into. Unfortunately the library I'm using doesn't recognize dropping on the icon, but I could do something that you can drop onto an already open image. Would that still be useful?
+1 for this, maybe even start with a "blank" window when the program starts, so the user can just drag stuff onto that window instead of having to add an image through the taskbar dialog.
Offline , polycounter, 1,160 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location St.Lucia, West indies  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunnies View Post
thanks for releasing this, I'm really lovin Kuadro! It's just about everything I've wanted in a ref viewer

the only major request I'd have where I still might use irfanview over this is to rotate images arbitrarily - sometimes the photo or concept is created at a weird angle and I want straighten it out without going into photoshop. I'm not sure how you're doing all this though, so it could be there's a very good reason you haven't added it yet
Not sure if you know but Shift + R+ Left mouse button can rotate in increments though theres no way to change it that I have seen unless you want to edit the preset in notepad. A nice addition might be a quick way to save preset if you opened a preset.

Old (#23)
Heya,

I've been using this tool for a short while now, it's really nice.

For some feedback:

I agree with m4dcow, a window would be nice. Preferably with the option to use it to contain a collage of your images maybe in a masonry style view. I'm not really a big fan of the images floating around but it's not so bad.

It would be nice if Fit Window to Image was shift+F rather than I. It saves moving around the keyboard too much when quickly setting up.

Not sure if this is a bug too, but after I've closed some images and then use the tray icon & click Always On Top it brings back the ones I've closed.
Offline , spline, 120 Posts, Join Date Feb 2013,  

Old (#24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tynew View Post
I don't understand why you would do this when you can just put that image into the canvas and lower the opacity? It's exactly the same thing.
I admit that this is specifically for 3d Painting (and not every app) - for Substance Designer/Painter for example
Offline , polygon, 559 Posts, Join Date Mar 2013, Location Moscow, Russia  

Old (#25)
Hi Luiz,

I've switch to Kuadro as my main image viewer for a few days now, and it's great. I really like the fact that the windows are floating and they are not in a window, also the saving of presets with the position it's magical it can be used as a great reference image for the 3d programs.
Features that I personally would like to be inside Kuadro:
-a shortcut key to overlay the image infos, like width/height
-a shortcut or a setting where you can input a program to open the current image (like photoshop) so it can be easily edited
-about the zoom: right now it zooms in steps when using the mouse wheel, it would be cool to have this steps smaller, to make the zoom smooth, also I am using the graphic pen a lot so I'm bound to the tablet wheel, but I would like to not use that with a shortcut or something.
- the zoom right now works only if you have the mouse on the image, if the mouse it's outside the image in the gray zone it doesn't
-also it would be cool to be able to chose my own shortcuts
-the transparency it's great, but if it's possible when the image it's locked, transparent and always on top, I would like to be able to manipulate the programs behind it, I don't know if that's possible, something like not making the window active for the mouse
-when doubleclick on an image in windows I would like to add it to the already opened instance of kuadro or to the last instance, not to open another instance with the image
-when closing the last image in one instance of Kuadro, it should also close kuadro as well
-maybe when pressing Alt+Tab it will be cool to see only the instance of kuadro group, and not each image, so I can select the kuadro and put the focus the images from that instance in front.
-also following the point above maybe a shortcut to go through each image in that instance, like CTrl+Tab in Photoshop
-one other cool thing it will be if you can drag a line and rotate the image horizontal or vertical by referencing that line.(if for example I have an image of a portrait with the head a bit tilted I would draw a line from one eye to the other eye and the image would rotate by the angle of that line)
-also the SHIFT+A it's great, but it would be greater if it will be used as a global hotkey, don't know if that's possible, to be more specific, I would like to use it like the global shortcuts from Winamp for example, no matter what program I'm working in I would like to toggle Kuadro's Always an top by pressing that global shortcut, without the need to go and select some image from Kuadro.
- if that's possible when pressing save if there is an already preset opened just save over it and not open the browser to chose the name of the preset, if pressing Shift+S open the browser window.

That's it for now.

Thank you for making this and sharing it.

Cristian.

Last edited by c.buliarca; 01-16-2015 at 02:01 AM..