Old (#1)
IPackThat on Steam
IPackThat Demo on Steam

Thanks to the great community on polycount for all the help and suggestions. it was a long stony road but now its finaly available
Offline , spline, 162 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Germany  

Old (#2)
Congrats! Maybe link to the demo on the Early Access steam page?
Ben Redmond | Portfolio | modo for game art
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,409 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012, Location Australia Send a message via Skype™ to Bek  

Old (#3)
done. didnt noticed you have to add the demo in the store page as well

Old (#4)
If you want a bulk license for an entire studio ( beginning at 5 versions ) you can order a bulk version directly from us without steam. contact license@ipackthat.com
to get in contact with us.

Last edited by [PB]Snoelk; 04-15-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old (#5)

I'm somewhat excited.
Offline , spline, 213 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#6)
Congratulations on the release! Thats got to feel good.

That said...I can't get it to work.
I keep getting an error.

Import Error: UV Set UV0 contains no data!

Any help?
Senior Artist
Firaxis Games
www.ryan-jackson.net
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,271 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Baltimore, Maryland Send a message via ICQ to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Yahoo to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Skype™ to ScoobyDoofus  

Old (#7)
Congrats on the release.
I've been looking for something like this for years.
The gameworld needs more devs like you!
Offline , spline, 221 Posts, Join Date Dec 2013, Location North America.  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoofus View Post

I keep getting an error.

Any help?
Do you have UVs on the mesh in the first UV set?
Offline , Grand Marshall Polycounter, 9,314 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#9)
Quote:

I keep getting an error.

Any help?
just as ZacD mentioned, it seems that you dont have any uv data. did you set up all uv channels right with working uv islands? the tool will not unwrap or create working uv sets. its just abut packing existing uv data.

Old (#10)
YES! I loved the results during the demo! Gonna grab it sometime this week!
Offline , triangle, 303 Posts, Join Date May 2011, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to Gheromo  

Old (#11)
Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I'm reasonably familiar with the primary purpose of the tool, packing not unwrapping.

Unfortunately I cannot show the mesh as it is work stuff, but yes, I have UV's and they are on channel 1 (in max). There are no other UV channels in use. I tried obj's exported from both Silo and 3D Studio Max 2010. Both gave the same error.

Are there any preferred export settings from Max you can give?
Senior Artist
Firaxis Games
www.ryan-jackson.net
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,271 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Baltimore, Maryland Send a message via ICQ to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via MSN to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Yahoo to ScoobyDoofus Send a message via Skype™ to ScoobyDoofus  

Old (#12)
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I'm reasonably familiar with the primary purpose of the tool, packing not unwrapping.

Unfortunately I cannot show the mesh as it is work stuff, but yes, I have UV's and they are on channel 1 (in max). There are no other UV channels in use. I tried obj's exported from both Silo and 3D Studio Max 2010. Both gave the same error.

Are there any preferred export settings from Max you can give?
thats strange. is it possible to send me the obj or fbx file so i can debug the problem?
to avoid nda problems with this mesh, you can scramble, bend, twist do whatever with the 3d mesh. the uv data should stay intact. i also dont need materials or textures. im only interested in the raw uv data. from what i read so far, the import process did not recognized any uv data. i will laso check again on my side if there could be a problem.

Old (#13)
I have the same problem with "Import Error: UV Set UV0 contains no data!" message.

I've tried demo on my model, but here is simple scene, only 6 boxes, that is giving me this message as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52gcrv1pqi..._test.obj?dl=0
Offline , null, 10 Posts, Join Date Oct 2013, Location Warsaw  

Old (#14)
Great work on the tool....but i have a problem....i`m try`n to load a mesh into the demo but i get ipackthat stopped working....the loading time is very high on a 3k tris mesh...and i try`d diferent meshes but with no luck. What to do?
Offline , spline, 222 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Romania  

Old (#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1dK View Post
Great work on the tool....but i have a problem....i`m try`n to load a mesh into the demo but i get ipackthat stopped working....the loading time is very high on a 3k tris mesh...and i try`d diferent meshes but with no luck. What to do?
could you send me one of those troublesome meshes?
mario@ipackthat.com

Old (#16)
Trying a fbx file with uv channel and uv data and crashing in the demo

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:	ipackthat.exe
  Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:	552d107d
  Problem Signature 04:	Piranha.Graphics.ShapeTools
  Problem Signature 05:	1.7.5582.25344
  Problem Signature 06:	552d1071
  Problem Signature 07:	434
  Problem Signature 08:	b
  Problem Signature 09:	System.IndexOutOfRangeException
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	df14
  Additional Information 2:	df14b04a50e86110bccf3e37326442bb
  Additional Information 3:	b3ff
  Additional Information 4:	b3ff9ba1cd8a1f13150c236a9d584e2d

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Offline , line, 78 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010, Location Uk  

Old (#17)
I'm not sure if this is IPackThat doing it or 3D Studio, but my UV shells in 3D Studio sometimes have a white border instead of a green one. This is typically UV shells that I have overlapped - is there an explanation for this?
D. Powell
Offline , spline, 142 Posts, Join Date Jan 2014, Location United Kingdom  

Old (#18)
Will upload an update for the demo tomorrow as well
The crash seems to be be of the crashes I fixed in this version update.

Old (#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [PB]Snoelk View Post
could you send me one of those troublesome meshes?
mario@ipackthat.com
i`m sorry i can not send the mesh ...here an error,

Offline , spline, 222 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Romania  

Old (#20)
Congrats for the Steam release ! I've bought the early access and started to test it.
I've got some incohesive results, and I would like to ask you some question.
I've exported a mesh with unaveraged UV islands (specific texel ratio for some UVs islands regarding their significance) , and it seems that "IPack That" does not take care of the texel ratio I've choose and the result is not even close to what it should be if the islands were averaged.

Then I've done a second test with all the UV islands averaged and then it worked well.

Did you plan to implement some texel ratio control, or at least keep the pre established one?

Thanks !
Offline , line, 74 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location Paris Send a message via MSN to god3ila Send a message via Skype™ to god3ila  

Old (#21)
@god3ila
The packer is not scaling up or down individual uv shells. The imported uv islands are always scaled up and down together. So the texelratio between all uv islands will always be the same.
Maybe the problem occurs now, because each uv island got more texeldensity now (from 30% coverage to 10%) So the different densities are now more visible than before.
On the second example where you averaged all uv islands this problem is not occuring. Each uv island got same texeldensity so the higher density in the result applies to all of them and there is no difference between texeldensities on each island.
To be sure i will have a look again but when i check your first image, the islands are all in the same size (relative) as the incoming.

ps: some uv islands i cand find in the original first image. are they outside uv area? did you checked move to bound to get them to there area 0 - 1 again and treat as overlaps ?

Last edited by [PB]Snoelk; Yesterday at 01:16 AM..

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [PB]Snoelk View Post
@god3ila
The packer is not scaling up or down individual uv shells. The imported uv islands are always scaled up and down together. So the texelratio between all uv islands will always be the same.
Maybe the problem occurs now, because each uv island got more texeldensity now (from 30% coverage to 10%) So the different densities are now more visible than before.
On the second example where you averaged all uv islands this problem is not occuring. Each uv island got same texeldensity so the higher density in the result applies to all of them and there is no difference between texeldensities on each island.
To be sure i will have a look again but when i check your first image, the islands are all in the same size (relative) as the incoming.

ps: some uv islands i cand find in the original first image. are they outside uv area? did you checked move to bound to get them to there area 0 - 1 again and treat as overlaps ?
Thanks for your answer

There's no UV islands outside of the 0-1 space, I've left some big empty spaces on purpose to have a better view of the differences and the non cohesive results.
Here is where some parts have been moved and unfortunately as we can see "rescaled" even if it's not the right term.

Thanks
Offline , line, 74 Posts, Join Date Aug 2008, Location Paris Send a message via MSN to god3ila Send a message via Skype™ to god3ila  

Old (#23)
Problem solved, I don't know what was wrong... But Now it works like a charm !
I guess I did something wrong but I don't know what exactly. I'll try to figure out.
Thanks for having taken care of it anyway.

Last edited by god3ila; Today at 02:14 PM..

Old (#24)
Gonna give it a go at packing this.

Gotta texture everything by hand which is why I'm keeping everything grouped together - also tonnes of parts to this
D. Powell
Offline , spline, 142 Posts, Join Date Jan 2014, Location United Kingdom  

Old (#25)
Good that your problem got solved tried to figure out what's happend with your mesh.

@dan that looks like a tough job curious how long the packer is trying to find a god solution *g*
What you think hoe long you would need doing this by hand?