Old (#1)

I have made this scalpel but it has no depth. The polygon is one sided therefore but with a 2 sided material of course.

The problem however is when I render the texture the orange parts are also grey and that's how it looks on the texture. But when I apply the texture on the model I see the oranges appear right there. After baking the oranges are just like a line with the outline you see on the model and from there are stretched towards inside until where you see above.

I'm trying to figure out how I can make the edge of the scalpel look like a proper blade. Any advice please?

Offline , line, 59 Posts, Join Date May 2012, Location Dover, NJ  

Old (#2)
what do your uvs look like? It looks like the outside ring of faces isnt taking any of its own uv space, so thats why it just stretches one pixel out the whole way.
Offline , vertex, 37 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010,  

Old (#3)

The UVs look exactly the same as the model. Its one island without any seams in it. So why does the area around it not have a uv space on 0-1 ? I'm selecting flatten mapping with 45 degree as usual.

Last edited by ZenDavis; 09-13-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old (#4)
The UVs don't look the same as the model. You don't have the edges at all there. It's only showing the center of the blade. Find the edge polygons and space them correctly and you should be set.
Offline , triangle, 330 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010,  

Old (#5)
Or planar map it if you arent some kind of masochist..
Offline , triangle, 459 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010,  

Old (#6)
Hey guys. Thank you for all your help! Got it looking right! Yeah I know. I probably overdid it on the DOF.