Home Technical Talk

environment uber shader request?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
Hi everyone
I recently more or less finished my generic BRDF shader for maya. There's other features that might be interesting but then it will start to be a little messy. I was thinking of building up another shader specifically for environment purpose. That might be useful, especially maybe with the unearthly challenge coming up (seems that unlike DW shader and offline rendering are accepted right?).
So I was wondering what features would be useful. Here's a list of ideas. Please tell me which ones would make sense and don't hesitate to add requests

- multi point lights with attenuation
- directional light (sun)
- cubemap ambient ?
- hemispheric ambient ?
- textures blending using vertex color
- detail maps
- auto uvs generation (according to world position)
- light map on separate uv set
- vertex color lighting
- radiosity normal mapping ?
- relief mapping ?

thx for your feedback :)

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    My gosh! Your ideas are amazing! I would love to see a shader like that in Maya, all in the list would be wonderful to have, and extremely useful! Is there a way in cgfx for maya to make all lights in the scene linked to that shader?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Texture blending using vertex colour - so long as its RGB dependent and not simply B/W. The more blends the better! Alternatively, you could blend with Vertex Colour & Alpha for extra sexiness.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, rgba is the way to go. I have to pay attention to the maximum number of samplers maya allows, but I'll try to go for a four sets of textures blend.

bugo: there's no way you can automaticly link every lamp in the scene. that's what Highquality rendering is for. But you can link your lights attributes to the shader. For example for the shader to use the actual light color. But honestly I won't bother trying to emulate every type of light in maya and there's no way I know you can have unlimited number of lights. I'll stick with points and a directional I think. Doing spots is nothing difficult really, but you can't hide unused parameters in cgfx so all of these will be displayed at all time (position + direction + color + attenuation + falloff * number of lights). Is there really a big need for spots rather than points? My idea was more for outdoors actually, because dynamic lighting of interiors would require way more lights or a baked solution.

nice portfolio btw bugo
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, I was thinking there´s no way too, was just a thought. Thanks for the portfolio.

In old days I worked in a company that I really like the way I could paint in the terrain 8 textures and mix them out. I just couldnt use 5 or more textures in a vertex. But I think its very good to have 4 in a vertex, I just dont know exactly how the programmer made 8 textures in the same mesh. I think that when the face had more than 4 textures it creates a new material to blend with. I dont know if thats possible, but I am also sure its very rare a game needing 4 or more blendings, right?

Thanks
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think of painting vertex color as just painting 3 or 4 float numbers for the vertex (RGB/RGBA). These values are used for texture blending. With a custom engine, you can do as many blends as is practical (each 4 textures is a float4 per-vertex, not to mention the extra calculations involved for blending n amount of textures). Vertex colors are just an easy way of mimicking this behaviour in software.

Brice, I don't know how Maya's vertex channels work, but you could probably two arbitrary channels instead of vertex color... that way you could support nx4 amount of textures. And paint vertex color as well, to multiply into the texture.

I'd also be wary of spending too much time on pipeline-dependent features, such as radiosity normal mapping... very cool stuff, but it requires radiosity normal maps and a setup to support them. People would probably much rather have the rest of the very useful stuff you've mentioned.

You should probably do Parallax Occlusion Mapping instead of Relief (at least the poliocarpo implementation that's been around for a few years). I have the good ATI Tartarchuk implementation of POM on my website if you need reference (actually, I'd recommend using it, I have it in a nice functionalized form already).
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there thanks for the input :)
    I get your point of the storage of floats. But the way you edit these vertex values are API related. For example I already need to 'normalize' those values in the VS because maya doesn't do it on its own (which is logic for colors). Even then, problem arise:
    Imagine grass is driven by red channel, rocks by green and sand by alpha. If you paint rocks it will automatically replace the grass, because a color replace the other. The normalization will then make a balance between those two channels. But if you paint alpha your vertex can at the same time be red AND transparent. This means that whatever color you paint, the map will always appear at least 50% sand, because the color doesn't replace the alpha value. It would work if we could specify RGBA presets rather than RGB ones.
    It will probably be confusing enough. Even if I got your point we're bound by maya usability

Vertex channels can be linked the way you want, if It would make more sense for a certain type of data you could use UV sets instead of color sets for example. You can easily have more than one vertex set, which is why I was planning on having both blend and color (per vertex ao or illumination bake or anything).

RNM is just about fun and exploring stuff, I'm not completely altruistic sorry :P

I'm interested in your POM solution. I don't have max here so I can't test it but i'd be glad to have a chat with you about it (even concerning the license I'm using for the release). I did add you on msn but you haven't showed up yet ;)

cheers
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be a silly request for inclusion in a shader, but I would love to have a way to automatically display a checker pattern (colour-coded, and with something to tell you whether it's the right way up... a letter?) at the resolution of the previously applied texture. For instance: a small mesh that uses a 256 will suddenly look like it has far more detail than a large mesh using a 1024, if you apply the same checker to both. An easy way to just toggle between checker and real textures would be wonderful, as well.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there :)
    I don't think it's that silly since it's already included in my first brdf shader :P
    http://mentalwarp.com/~brice/download/GenericBRDF_2_BETA3.cgfx
    I have a more recent version at home but the checker behavior is unchanged, does that correspond to what you are asking for? There is a checkbox and a field (should be set to 512, 1024, etc ). It would be tricky to display a procedural way of showing the direction of the tangent space, but its easy for consistency of texel density. There's a few tools to check it in maya though (shade UVs etc).
    I might integrate that feature as well if it's not too much of a mess :P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't check, since I don't have Maya here, and for some reason the max port won't work. I'd have to check to give you to exact error message, but basically it just pops up an error and refuses to work.
    What I said about 'telling if it's the right way up' just meant having something like an R or something on the checker-map itself (so you can see if the uv's need to be flipped). I don't really know what it is you said, but I imagine it wasn't what I meant :D
    When you say 'should be set to 512, 1024 etc', do you mean you need to tell the shader what resolution the map should be, or is there some way for it to just use an appropriately sized checker by checking (teehee, a pun) which size the applied texture is?

Anyway, I'm already excited enough about this if it'll have the features you listed yourself :)
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's the way it works:
    checker.png

The checker is generated procedurally. It's quite easy to generate squares, it's far more difficult to produce a "R" out of mathematical functions. To check the uv orientation you should rather use maya's built-in tools or a bitmap texture :)

I didn't do the max port so I can't really help you with that sorry.

The shader is on its way I've been working on an easily expendable multilamp shader, more to come soon :)
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright people here's a first version :)

The shader supports a lot of feature already. It is build around the ability to blend textures, so it's basically done for a terrain. I'll do a 'light' version later on so that you can use the same lighting solution on props.

cornellBox.jpg

Here's a rough sample of texture blending, I'll do a nicer one for the release :)
    blend.jpg

The shader supports 2 lamps at the moment but it should be easily scalable to fit your needs (in your card's pixel shader capacity)
    multiLamps.jpg

Here is the current parameters layout
    paramTerrain.gif

There is no RNM, POM, specular attenuation, cubemaps nor checker at the moment.

You can try it here
    http://www.mentalwarp.com/~brice/download/TerrainBlend01_BETA.cgfx

I remind you that that:

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

thanks for respecting it :)
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do I need to mention that feedback is encouraged? :P
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im liking this stuff. too bad i dont use maya or else i would give it a try
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    wow, im going to test this out right now, btw, can we have both vertex blending and mask (bitmap) blending too?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    btw, another good feature could be detail texture
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    strange, didnt work for me, mesh stays black.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you tell me your settings, the maps you've plugged in, maya version and your graphic card model pliz
    I use maya 2008 and a 8800, I haven't tested on another hardware yet. This might be just a parameters issue tough.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    maybe, do I need to set 4 materials? or it can be just 2?

EVGA geforce 8800gts 640mb
    Windows XP x64
    Maya 2008 x64
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there. Blending terrain with a bitmap is possible, but especially unpractical. It means you'd need a unique UV set just for the blending and an additional texture (more vram, heavier pixel shader). There would be no benefits: The blending is a low frequency information that suits vertex density very well, and vertex nowadays could almost be considered 'free' while texture is certainly not, you couldn't use world space UVs etc

With you configuration you shouldn't have any problem, but be sure to check if all the parameters are set properly, for some reason maya doesn't care at all of the default values and sets everything to zero. The shader needs some more 'error management' for this. The more obvious problem is specular power (you shouldn't power by 0). I did correct this on my wip version, keep up the feedback.

You have to make sure the inputs are set up properly, the should be like this (at least for the options you're using - the second uv set for light maps, vertex color etc).
    inputs.gif

you don't have to fill all the maps, especially since these can be deactivated most of the time, but some basic inputs are of course mandatory (this is a vertex blending shader, so yeah, you should have a vertex color blend set...)

detail texture is on the way.

If you have more problems please be complete: post a screenshot of your parameters and how does the shader look on screen. thx
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for that Brice. I was wondering about the masking texture because in Unreal some people use it a lot too, but if you see there´s no way, no problem. Keep up the good work!
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think unreal is a pretty different case since it uses displace maps for the terrain (at least in ut2004). But considering the resolution these maps had (about 256^2 or maybe 512^2 if I remember well) the blending wouldn't be more precise. Another benefit of vertex color is that you can add density wherever you want :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    true, it is. Also some people use masking on the 2nd uv channel too, in a way you can blend and have the lightmap uv in there.

Btw, i didnt have the time to test it and not get those problems, I will later.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I think I'm doing something wrong... I've gotten a good part of it figured out now, but I still can't seem to get any vertex blending happening. Here's a screenshot of what I'm getting and my settings. Any help would be appreciated. I'm using maya 2008 and an 8800(something, not sure)

http://www.littleoddity.com/pimp/settings.gif

http://www.littleoddity.com/pimp/screenshot01.jpg
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi
    I don't really know what's going on here because your settings seem correct. One thing I am wondering tough: Did you used exactly the same names as I did for the vertex data or did you typed those manually? I just noticed that it doesn't produce any error when these don't correspond anything. If you right clic you should have a list of the available data. In your case you probably just need to set the only vertex color to the blend slot and deactivate the
    "use vertex color" checkbox. You can create additional vertex color set in color > color set editor. I also see you have normal maps plugged in but "use normal mapping" is unchecked.
  • Andrew_Morris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a pretty awesome shader you have going on there Brice (I was a big fan of your previous one as well). This almost makes me want to switch to Maya just to use it :).

Do you think that someone with access to a copy of ShaderFX could easily transfer this (once you are done) into a Max shader? or does it use too much Maya specific stuff to be compatible?

-Andrew
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Oops, you were right Brice. I just copied your settings in the input boxes at the bottom when things weren't working, I didn't realize I could right click and pick the proper map. Now it all looks like it's working right. Thanks, this is looking to be a really great shader.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there Andrew. You could do something pretty similar with shaderFX, but it's probably easier to port the code manually as CB did with my brdf shader (http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmaxFX). Somebody had a similar idea on another board (http://www.game-artist.net/forums/application-support-references/6698-environment-uber-shader-requests.html) maybe something will come up :) I'm not really a max user, and porting a shader is not as enjoyable as creating it, still I have almost no feedback so why bother? :P The port should be pretty easy, it's basically the same syntax on both programs.

Thx rube, Hope you'll have some fancy screens to show ;)

I forgot to mention I did a few fixes, but I didn't took time to implement more fancy features yet :)

paramTerrain2.gif

http://www.mentalwarp.com/~brice/download/TerrainBlend_BETA2.cgfx
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but there is one pretty good reason to use an image for your blending, and that is: Distant terrain, terrain the player is not going to get close to, generally is optimized quite a bit, so you'll end up with very large tris and your resolution for blending becomes too small. If most of your game is outdoor based this becomes a pretty serious problem, you either have to sub-divide distant ereas way too much, or settle for poor quality. LOD can also be a concern, if you're using an LOD system and vert colors for blending, your resolution will drop with the LODs and you'll likely have a more noticable pop than using an image.

Now i think both systems have their pros and cons, but i really wouldn't consider one better than the other.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get your point. that you'd make sense in a realtime engine with optimization in mind, while I was mostly interested in having a proper visual feedback in a 3d package. Even tough, in my opinion, blending textures for a terrain only make sense because you want to preserve a high pixel ratio without spending too much vram. If you use textures for blending for LOD (aka areas that don't need high pixel ratio), then why using a RGBA texture for blend instead of using that same texture as a ('blending baked') diffuse one?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A baked diffuse? For a mile large level? You cant be suggesting that baking out some insanely high-res image would actually save memory? I know thats not what you're saying so can you explain a little more?

And yeah, for your application i'm sure vert based will work just fine, my comments were more general purpose =) Someone has to play devil's advocate.

[edit] Oh ok i see what you're saying, no for example in our game, we have one large continous terrain that covers the entire level. We dont actually have sepperate sections for lower detail, theres just chunks of the level that will naturally have less tesselation because the player isnt allowed to go there. But we still use the same material system on those areas. We use a single grayscale image(1024 or 2048) that blends together 4 different layers.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but there is one pretty good reason to use an image for your blending, and that is: Distant terrain, terrain the player is not going to get close to, generally is optimized quite a bit, so you'll end up with very large tris and your resolution for blending becomes too small. If most of your game is outdoor based this becomes a pretty serious problem, you either have to sub-divide distant ereas way too much, or settle for poor quality. LOD can also be a concern, if you're using an LOD system and vert colors for blending, your resolution will drop with the LODs and you'll likely have a more noticable pop than using an image.

Now i think both systems have their pros and cons, but i really wouldn't consider one better than the other.

yeah, it was mentioned, thanks ;)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey brice i got a bug, when opening the .fx file i get:

cgfxShader -e -fx "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/shaders/TerrainBlend01_BETA.cgfx" cgfxShader1;
    // Error: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error. //
    // Error: (1) : error C0501: type name expected at token "<"
    (1) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected '<' at token "<" //
    // cgfxShaderNode::cgErrorCallBack
    // Error: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error. //
    // Error: (1) : error C0501: type name expected at token "<"
    (1) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected '<' at token "<" //
    // Error: cgfxShader "cgfxShader1" unable to load effect "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/shaders/TerrainBlend01_BETA.cgfx" //
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    nothing fancy yet, but this is what I was trying out so far. Just some paint effects trees thrown in so I had something for the lightmap to actually do. Fun shader to use though, I hope to get some more time to play around with it.

uberTerrainTest.jpg
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi bugo, I made a mistake in the url, pointing to the old one. I don't really get the error (on line 1? are you sure you haven't modified the file somehow?), could you try http://www.mentalwarp.com/~brice/download/TerrainBlend_BETA2.cgfx and tell me if you have the same problem?

rube: that's a good first try. I'm glad to see you can get it work :) It seems like your ambient is a bit strong because the rock normal map doesn't read that well. I guess that's because you don't want extra black shadows on you lightmap. You should either edit it in photoshop or better, bake a proper GI in mentalray so that you have some cool bounce below that sphere :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    heh, for some reason firefox didnt download right the first try. im sorry, my mistake.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    gg Brice ! I'll see if I can give it a try when I have time. Still need to do something with your previous one too :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Right, Brice, i got it working, but unfortunaly normals seems a bit strange to me, and i tried inverting the nmap, nothing still, also, im experiencing a gradient type of shading that is a bit different. Let me know if you know what im talking about.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might need to check your vertex inputs, maya sometimes mess it up. Exchanging uvs with tangent for example
    inputs.gif
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    yes, strange, it´s the samething with both of your shaders, but still i get this:

cgfxproblemtp5.jpg

I already tried to reinstall CG sdk and the last directx SDK, samething.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the same problem once in a while for no reasons...
    reloading the shader fixes it. The bug only shows up outside the 0-1 uv range, that make me think that it might be some sampler state issue. Maybe once in a while it doesn't use the default parameters, so I might need to specify it.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Brice, hows it going friend, i got your terrain shader working when I´ve installed Vista, not sure why, but it worked fine! One question tho, I can´t seem to find where should I add 4 lights, I see you set 2 places, but i cant seem to make 4 lights, it doenst load the shader again. Awesome work indeed. Some fixes:

- At the 3rd texture set it seems its getting incandescent for some reason.
    - Not sure I understand lights alpha, if I go higher than 0,001 it dissapear, or I use 0,001 or 0.
    - For the lightmap, i cant seem to find it going good, it seems it should be much more multiplied or modulated but its half or even 1/4 of it, not sure why.

I´ll post a shot soon, Thanks! You rock!
  • Jeff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there,

here a test I did with both lovely shaders from Brice.

The brdf has been assigned to all props on ground while blender one has been used , as expected , for ground. During texturing and maps assignments, I only ended up with same bugs as Hugo anytime I mapped a specular map. Never had the bug dealing with diffuses or normal maps. So pretty stable, apart with this banding artifact (spec assignment or remapping only).
    Saving and reloading the scene always solved the problem in my case.

Vertex AOs and their blend modes is really a tip for optimizing the result.
    Didn't loose time in optimizing the ground geo while the rest is. And btw, keeping more geo on ground of course allows more freedom afterwards, which is pretty usefull in this case.

Can't wait to test a more metalic scene, what i'm doing right now. Also with some LM.

Thx Brice for your investment in these code chuncks, and for the real pleasure using the result.

Just in case, i've uploaded some uncompressed turn around HERE. Changed the tubes spec recently (next screens). Yes, I'll have it uploaded on youtube soon Brice.

Otherwise, if you don't want the 150 megs of the uncompressed vid, here are some samples ...

1_globalView.jpg

2_topAlley.jpg

3_topTubes.jpg

4_topClose.jpg

5_detailRocks.jpg

7_detailTrees.jpg

6_detailTubes.jpg

Some tips ...
    As we can see on 2nd and 3rd images, transitions between plain dry mud (red/alpha:1) and grass (black/alpha:0) are not that great. A bit of blue between, and we got some nicer and more realistic blending as in the image up here.
    8_explanations.jpg

Nice to see you down here Hugo, the Damnation's not so far ;o)
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome ! could I have a screenshot of the problem with the spec maps? odd...

isn't that ao a bit too bold?
    keep it up :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jeff, how can I watch that uncompressed footage you uploaded? It came with no extension, so I tried feeding it into VLC but it wouldn't play. Thinking it might be an archive I fed it to winrar, but it couldn't open it either.
  • Jeff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx dude ... the problem is like the one posted by bugo.

cgfxproblemtp5.jpg

Just as if you made a planar proj from side view, than the plane would show lines.
    But nothing hard to solve, save , reload :o) ... and surely is this relevant to my drivers/cg don't you think.
    Like the problems I had with the cg from Ced ... mostly spec/env maps artifacting, which one I got rid of when installing nVidia cg pack.
    And yes friend, AO is a bit too bold, in fact I generated 2 vertex occlusions, which ones I then merged. This to hide some minor faulty details, like some seams I was tooooo lazy to correct hehehehe :o)

Glib, sry I'm fucking stooopid having forgotten to mention it has to be re-extensioned as a .avi ;o) (did this to prevent reading of it directly within the browser).

Cheers, and use it guys, it's just a bit of viewport's paradise in it ^^
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi, so I have been trying to get this thing to work for an hour now with a lot of frustration. Can someone please post a step by step as to how to get 4 textures blending based on vertex colours. Mine always turns out solid black when I switch to textured mode.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I figured it out didn't realize you had to set the alpha to zero to be able to see the light? Also didn't realize you had to have a light in order to see the shader, any way to have the textures flat lit?
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could (using no light) set a white vertex color, connect it to the vertex data and 'use vertex color for lighting'. You could also use hemispheric ambient and set both value to white and ambient factor to 1. (not tested, but should do the trick if i remember well).
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool I've filled my model with green and used vertex colour as lighting that seems to flat light it. Cool shader. The hemispheric ambient does not appear to affect the lighting at all.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to set the ambient factor to 1 as well, but u won't have the same effect since ambient is not multiplied by the diffuse. Using a vertex color or a white lightmap is the way to go :)